Primal fast food

JacobH9

I have a sabertooth sized problem sitting between me and paleo living, my family lives for bread and fast food. LIVES FOR IT. Whenever any meal comes around its either mcjuniorkingbellwithafrosty or anything healthy drowned in oil with bread on top. They are really not into paleo. Now, I love my family the way they are and respect their choices, so I won't force paleo on them, and I'm preparing to move out summer so then I could buy my own groceries. (we live in a cramped house without much room for anything in the first place) but I would really like to live healthy ASAP. Can anyone suggest paleoish fast food (not expecting anything great, long john's silvers baked cod is the best I've found) or more American paleo foods (example: they really don't mind paleo spaghetti if I made it)?

Thanks,

Jacob

McDonald's Salads? Pretty tough to be strict primal/paleo with fast food.

Although the Wraps and salads at McDonald's really aren't that bad.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

I have a very similar problem that my roommates and family eat fast food ALL THE TIME and since I'm always with them, it's really hard to eat anything! Generally I would order a salad or actually bring something easy like a trail mix or fruits while they eat, but i'm not going to lie sometimes I do cave in :(

I did notice that some (VERY FEW) fast food places do have low carb options with a burger in lettuce instead of bread (like Carl's jr)....

I'm living with my parents right now while we're renovating my house and they are fast food lovers too.  I don't eat what they eat.  In fact I haven't eaten what they eat since I was about sixteen.  I buy my own groceries and fix my own food.  I hear you on the lack of space... my refrigerated stuff goes in a single drawer in the basement fridge, and my non-refrigerated stuff is on my bookshelf.  It's awkward but I make it work.  I find I need less grocery space these days anyway because fresh food doesn't last super long so I shop pretty frequently anyway.

OTOH sometimes they're basically offering me free food so... I don't always turn it down. =P

It can be done, but you have to look at the menu pretty intensely, and usually the sort of thing that will work for you may not be up on their sign boards when you get into the restaurant.  I look on their website and stuff before we go somewhere.  Most fast food places will have allergen menus and gluten is the one that likes to hide in things, so generally I start by finding their gluten free options.

Also it's frickin' expensive for very little really.  The last time I got fast food, I was in a big hurry to get somewhere, so I decided to order a grilled chicken sandwich at BK with no bun.  They gave it to me in a plastic bowl that they probably use for salads normally.  A small piece of grilled chicken breast, two pieces of lettuce, and a very watery, flavourless tomato slice.  And it was $3.  I mean, I was impressed with the presentation - but not impressed with the price.

I got a baked potato once at Wendy's.  It was tiny and cost me $3.50-something after tax.  What??  Boo!

I've heard Arby's will happily give you their sandwiches without the bun in the plastic dishes.  I'm not sure that any of their sauces count as primal though.  (Ask me if I care as I shovel a couple bunless beef and cheddars in my face though.  Seriously, it's a miracle I've kept myself from going there after hearing this.)

McDonald's has a grilled chicken wrap, you can order it without the sauce and you're basically left with a small chicken tenderloin, a handful of shredded lettuce, and some cheese.

Most of the burger places will happily no-bun a burger or sandwich for you.  "Grilled" and "shredded" means "not breaded" so is generally safe.  A lot of sauces and condiments will not count as paleo/primal so be careful with that.

Try local "fast foods" instead of chain if you can.  I would rather eat at the local BBQ joint than, say, getting KFC's grilled chicken - I trust the local place for better meat than Yum Foods.

I think if you're willing to cook and they'll eat your meals, you can easily make a paleo or primal meal and then add something else to their dishes, but not to yours.  I made dinner for a friend who came to stay a weekend and I made a paleo-friendly stir fry, then made some rice for her and just didn't eat any.  Stir fry is super easy and can be varied all over the place too.  You can make fajitas and not eat any tortillas.  You could even make paleo meatballs and regular spaghetti, just don't eat the spaghetti yourself.

Good luck!

The absolute best two are Chipotle and In N Out.

OH YEA! Chipotle Burrito Bowls are dynamite, and all around pretty damn healthy for you. If you don't mind the carbs, load up a subway sub with veggies. Sweet Onion Chicken Teryaki is a good one. Sweet Onion sauce is uber low cal.

The decent options are out there, you've just gotta find them is all.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

Chipotle is great! I had it a while back when on a trip. Too bad my town doesn't have one, it's very taco bell, McDonald's, fifteen Mexican and ten pizza places centric.

I never thought about clearing off my own shelf tbh! I actually have a shelf I HAVE been meaning to clear out. That's a really good idea! Unfortunately the refrigerator space is incredibly lacking.... There's a small town we live by that's only four miles away that I work in, (Computers ugh) that's getting a new grocery store (the first) in November and I'm very excited! It coincides greatly since I usually walk to work (great low level aerobic!)!

I honestly didn't even know McDonald's had salads. They love McDonald's so that will help get through any surprise scenarios.

Actually just last night they decided to try spaghetti squash spaghetti, and loved it! I kind of split it in half since they prefer ragu sauce, so they had ragu and garlic bread while I had no sauce and paleo meatballs. (I actually prefer no sauce, I know, I'm weird like that).

What's really bad about it is that my dad is gluten intolerant so he can't have bread. Unfortunately he refuses to acknowledge that he would feel much better if he didn't eat it... I tried to explain the science and what not to him but it helped little. Are there any really good non gluten substitutes or paleo substitutes that are really good and like "normal" food?

OH YEA! Chipotle Burrito Bowls are dynamite, and all around pretty damn healthy for you. If you don't mind the carbs, load up a subway sub with veggies. Sweet Onion Chicken Teryaki is a good one. Sweet Onion sauce is uber low cal.

I know Chipotle has good quality meat. But are the vegies/salsas cooked with any bad oils? I used to get the bowl with steak and the onions/peppers. Now id get no rice but include guac.

I dont trust subway's meats, they seem a bit processed to me. especially the chicken. Also the sauces are prob loaded w sugar.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

McDonald's burgers, believe it or not, are actually 100% beef. Of course it's not grass fed, but I can't even afford to buy grass fed all the time.  So if you MUST have McDonald's for whatever reason, get a burger, custom order it to have it wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun (even though they will probably thing you're crazy... who cares), hold the ketchup and cheese if you're not eating dairy.

I know Chipotle has good quality meat. But are the vegies/salsas cooked with any bad oils? I used to get the bowl with steak and the onions/peppers. Now id get no rice but include guac.

Thanks to Chipotle's new ingredient statement, you can see what ingredients contain GMO's. The steak and veggies are actually is cooked in a GMO soybean oil. The salsa and carnitas are GMO free.  I basically just get a bowl filled with all of their non GMO ingredients. http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

I dont trust subway's meats, they seem a bit processed to me. especially the chicken. Also the sauces are prob loaded w sugar.

They use seed oil, but as far as fast food places, they're one of your best options on paleo. Unless there's a paleo fast food restaurant/cart in your area, you're probably not going to find a place that uses coconut oil or similar.

So if you MUST have McDonald's for whatever reason, get a burger, custom order it to have it wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun (even though they will probably thing you're crazy... who cares), hold the ketchup and cheese if you're not eating dairy.

Wait...what's wrong with ketchup, now? *reads* Oh, corn syrup. Oh my gosh, what am I getting myself into...(I'm trying this diet out too, now, but never realized there was so much to it!)

I have a Subway across the street from where I work, so I was reading up on that. According to this thread on Reddit, the Subway chicken isn't the best chicken. They recommend making sure that the chicken "flakes", and, if it doesn't, it's probably a Franken-meat.

I'm not sure what would be so wrong with getting a big salad, perhaps even leaving off the meat, and either bringing your own dressing (some kind of lemon juice or something), or try vinegar and spicy mustard like someone in this thread on another forum did.

Also it's frickin' expensive for very little really.  The last time I got fast food, I was in a big hurry to get somewhere, so I decided to order a grilled chicken sandwich at BK with no bun.  They gave it to me in a plastic bowl that they probably use for salads normally.  A small piece of grilled chicken breast, two pieces of lettuce, and a very watery, flavourless tomato slice.  And it was $3.  I mean, I was impressed with the presentation - but not impressed with the price.

I got a baked potato once at Wendy's.  It was tiny and cost me $3.50-something after tax.  What??  Boo!

Ye gods, I know it. It's insane. I can get a whole 5# bag of similar-quality potatoes at Wal-Mart for under $2. 

I am living with my parents too, now, due to financial hell, and I accidentally took over the whole fridge with healthy food on our last shopping trip. I'm planning on cooking up a bunch of it today, packing it tightly in containers, and then I'll be all set to just grab something and eat that when we're all going to eat out.

I was a vegetarian for 7-1/2 years, and now I'm trying this, so they're used to me trying out "funky diets". I just got really tired of only being able to order one thing on the menu, because I don't like asking for substitutions at restaurants (I much prefer going somewhere where you build the whole thing as you go - like Subway or Chipotle - AGH I miss Chipotle, there's none around here).

Taco Bell was doing a Chipotle-esque "Cantina bowl" that might be worth looking into more.

And I second looking for more independent restaurants - they probably have lesser access to Frankenfoods, and are more willing to work with you on substitutions and all, because they're a smaller business trying to build clientele and stay open? (I have amazing luck with Mexican places, fajitas, mmm)

Wait...what's wrong with ketchup, now? *reads* Oh, corn syrup. Oh my gosh, what am I getting myself into...(I'm trying this diet out too, now, but never realized there was so much to it!)

make your own! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alternative-healthy-condiment-recipes/#axzz2ZyvtJo00

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

I know what you're going through. My parents work late and would bring home dinner, and who can turn down tacos and chips, or a cheeseburger instead of a salad? I actually moved out and eat better because my bf and I choose to, but it's hard when the family doesn't want to eat clean. 

As for fast food options I try to do the best I can. If you're going for a burger, try a double without a bun. If you want to try a salad, most drive through salads are dry and you add the dressing. So buy your own or make your own paleo version, and add it to the salad at home. Grilled chicken is a good option, and side salads are good instead of fries. Just try to eat as clean as you can. Tortilla wraps are better than buns for the most part. I just try to eat as clean as I can, and make up for it with other meals. 

You can also try zucchini spaghetti for yourself, and make pasta for them. Zucchini doesn't take much fridge space. 

Level 2 Adventurer

STR:2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 1 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 1 

Challenges: #1 , #2 , 

Current Challenge: Back to Basics