• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JesterShay

JesterShay: Rebooting the Narrative?

Ok.  I tried to post this a few days ago when the challenge first started, but my browser ate it.  So let's try this again.

I actually like the new challenge rules.  I have to admit, I was probably one of the ones who was getting too caught up in the stats, and lost sight of the narrative.  I've taken them out of my signature so I won't think about them anymore.  But that doesn't mean my previous challenges weren't good learning experiences.

So, here's the chance to refocus.  My main quest is: Lose 40 pounds.  I'm currently at 175 lbs, standing at 5 feet 2 inches.  I am aiming for 125, but I thought it would be more reasonable to get to 135 and then see how I feel.  I was 125 in high school, and now I'm almost 30, so it may be too far of a goal.

My Missions for this Challenge:

• Do a strength workout at least twice per week.  I bought all three Rebel Guides, and I'm starting with the Rebel Fitness Guide - Level 2 Workouts.  Did my first one today, and I was a little over-eager.  I reached for higher weights than I should have for the reps, but I quickly corrected that.a
  • Do a cardio workout at least three times per week.  Since the Level 2 has interval workouts, I'll probably just do those with maybe a long run on the weekends.  I completed Couch to 5K last challenge, so I don't want to lose that endurance.
  • Limit eating out to less than five times per week.  This sounds like a lot, and my husband and I have been eating out a lot, despite having a CSA.  Part of it is that there is a restaurant in the building where I work, which makes it really tempting to run up there for a hot breakfast, or a super tasty lunch.  So, between breakfast, lunch, and dinner, if I can cut back to only 5 times, that's a vast improvement over where I was just last week.
  • Life Quest:  Write in my journal at least 3 times before the end of the challenge.  Some thoughts have come up from a rough patch in my past, and I think it would be good for me to write about it a bit.  Some of it so I can record my experiences, and some of it to get in the habit of writing out my thoughts.  There's just certain things I don't feel like putting in my blog.

So, there's my new narrative.  I'm just going to work on doing these challenges and the mini-challenges.  I might add new side quests in the next one.

My Motivation:  Get out of weight loss limbo.  I've put a lot of things on hold with the idea that I'm not fit enough, or light enough, or thin enough.  And yeah, some of that is true, but staying where I am won't get me any closer to where I want to be.  So I need to get out of limbo and actually to that place.

• Like 1

My Motivation:  Get out of weight loss limbo.  I've put a lot of things on hold with the idea that I'm not fit enough, or light enough, or thin enough.  And yeah, some of that is true, but staying where I am won't get me any closer to where I want to be.  So I need to get out of limbo and actually to that place.

That is a fantastic way to put that. I've been in that kind of rut too lately. I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure you can crush it!

Love your goals!.... I am also doing a losing weight thing..maybe we cna share tips and keep eachother onthe right path. Your goals are perfect. I am subbing and will keep cheering you on.

You said that you were a bit ambitious with the weights.  I think that exercising 5 times a week is a bit much, depending on your level of fitness.   If you feel really tired or very unmotivated to do a lot of workouts; it would probably be a good idea to cut some out.  There's no reason to give 200% and then be over your head and not bother 2 weeks later, you know?  Although I hate saying it, slow and steady wins the race.  I like your eating out quest.  Are you going to limit it to certain days? certain meals?  That goal alone will have a huge difference. 

Also, there's no better weapon than a prepared mind.  The more you plan your meals ahead, the less motivation there is to go and grab other food. I've found that making a batch of food makes it much easier to not cheat.  Like, I make mini-quiches in a muffin pan on the weekends. 40 seconds to microwave them in the morning and they're ready.   That right there means I have no reason to cheat for the entire week's worth of breakfasts.  Grilling a bunch of hamburgers and marinated chicken, or making a big container of chicken salad can take care of lunches, ect. 

I think, "if I don't eat the food that I made already, it's going to go bad and I'm just wasting my money".  That's another motivating factor.

Teros, those are some great suggestions.  I think 5 times a week is reasonable for me (I was running 3 times a week before the challenge), but I think you're right, I may have to tone it down a bit.  I ended up being sore after that first workout.  Not the worst soreness I've had, but it did make it difficult to walk the next few days. :) So instead of running, I took long walks for the rest of the week.  I was planning to do more yesterday, but I learned that my living room carpet is going to be torn up on Monday, so I've spent the weekend moving my entire living room into other rooms in the apartment, including into my upstairs study.  That counts as a strength workout, right? :P

With the food, you are totally right.  If I plan out what I'm going to make, it's a lot easier to eat at home than just winging it.  We have a CSA and yesterday I took all the fruit we got and mixed it together into a fruit salad and put it into single portion sized containers.  Add a protein source and I've got breakfast or healthy snacks for the entire week.  I've already got a rough dinner plan for this week.  I like to plan only 4 or 5 meals, because it's just me and my husband, and we tend to have leftovers.

So, for example (in case anybody else is curious), this week I've planned an Indian eggplant dish for today (because it's the most time intensive and a new recipe), a chicken stir fry, a brisket with summer squash saute on the side, and a tortilla soup/quesadilla night.  The eggplant dish and the squash saute will be using up a lot of things from our CSA basket.  The chicken stir fry is a stand-by of ours, we make it every couple of weeks when we're cooking regularly.  And the tortilla soup will be using soup that I stashed away in the freezer a while ago as a quick option on a tired weeknight.  Leftovers end up becoming my lunches (sometimes his), or we'll typically have a "leftover night" where we eat whatever sounds good out of the fridge.  They also get eaten on the weekends.

At the moment, I'm trying to limit the eating out to twice a week dinners at most (hopefully just one nice dinner), and one or two lunches out.  I do a lunch out with friends on Mondays, and most of our dinner eating out happens because we don't have a plan and we're tired.  Even if I'm tired, if I have a plan, I'll tend to start cooking dinner (I get home first).  I'm hoping if we can stick to it, we can have a nice dinner or lunch out on the weekend guilt free.

Yeah, Updates.  When did I post last?  Grk! 

Well, the second week was good.  I was sore again, and so I chose to walk for my cardio.  Last week, well, honestly, not so good.  I kept to the 5 times eating out, but I was so swamped at work that I couldn't work out during lunch, had to stay late, so by the time I got home, it was all I could do to make dinner and then go to bed.  I made sure to get a good recharge over the weekend (this week looks to be busy also), so that I don't beat myself up for not working out last week.  I've made sure that my lunches are not busy this week, so I'm definitely going to the gym.

I haven't seen much difference in the scale, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  Better to focus on what I'm eating and actually getting that activity in.  Thanks for checking up on me!

Good job for keeping up with some of the stuff whilst being really busy! It sounds like you have learned from this week and made sure you are prepared for this one so good luck with all your workouts. Sounds like you will do great. Hope work becomes less stressful!