Wrist pain ruining my workout.

I hurt my wrist about 4 years ago skateboarding. My doctor said it may have been a sprain because nothing showed up on the x-ray. But i have trouble doing pulls ups and push ups. I usually have to stop before I'm even tired because of the pain and I have a high tolerence to pain so I know something has to be wrong with my wrist. I've tried wrapping it but it doesn't help much. My doctor says i might just have to strengthen my wrist.

I'm trying to find out what excercise i can do that will put less stress on my wrist until I can figure out what is wrong with it or strengthen it. Also what things can I do to strengthen my wrist?

"Sweat is just fat crying"

"Courage is endurance for one moment more"

"Forget the sky there is no limit"

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" Leo Tolstoy

Follow me https://twitter.com/J_oreo77

Instgram- j_oreo77

I've had this same problem for awhile of intense pain in the wrist. Mine would last for days on end and I could never do more than a couple push ups before my wrists hurt too much. In my case, eat more omega-3 fatty acids helped a ton (I think I just had stiff arteries). For push ups try doing them on your fists, its harder, but it would help me crank a few more out. As for wrist strengthening, get a couple dumbbells, or something heavy you can grab on to, hold one on each side, and simply curl your wrists over and over. Its like a bicep curl, but for your wrists. This has worked amazingly for my wrists and forearm strength.

I used to assistant instruct Aikido and since it's a joint-lock and throw style martial art we were constantly finding the limits of our flexibility. I recommend looking up wrist stretching exercises, and do them such that the stretch is uncomfortable but doesn't hurt (there's a difference). Find the edge of discomfort, hold for as long as you can and stay on the edge of "ow." This is going to be a lengthy process since you sprained the musculature and then didn't properly rehab it (and your doctor didn't care enought to recommend PT or something because that wasn't putting another office visit on the books). ScrawnyCaveMan has the right idea with the dumbbell wrist curls-- or you can make a weighted curling bar: a stick with a string wrapped around the middle with a weight on the free end. You just roll up the string and unroll it with your wrists. It's boring, but effective.

Good luck!

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Thanks I'm going to try and pick up some dumbells this weekend. I checked out some of the wrist stretching excercises they look pretty simple I'll try them too

"Sweat is just fat crying"

"Courage is endurance for one moment more"

"Forget the sky there is no limit"

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" Leo Tolstoy

Follow me https://twitter.com/J_oreo77

Instgram- j_oreo77