Because I am NOT a wannabe...

I don't even know what to post....

I LOVE the song, and the video, but doesn't it just make you sooooo mad!! Grrrr!!!!

I'm sending that to all my friends. :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I have't noticed it much in my own life, and certainly not here.  I love that when a woman says, "I want to lift ALL THE HEAVY THINGS," the  men say, "AWESOME!"   But there is a bias in industry advertising, character development and the like, to be sure. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

I loved this video.  I think as geek girl culture has become more mainstream, you start to see more of the sexist comments come to the surface.  I've never been as blatant a victim as some of the stories out there, but I've definitely gotten the impression that people assume I'm into nerdy things only because it is now popular (see: Dr. Who).

While yes, popularity has gotten me interested in some new-to-me content, I think it still takes a nerdy personality to really enjoy it!

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

AWESOME video. I used to get teased for wanting to be a volcanologist when I grew up... by being told that it was a boy profession. I have felt this pain. 

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

I am more science nerd than Sci-Fi nerd... I didn't start watching the Doctor until David Tennant...

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Wow I didn't even know this was a thing. I guess sexism permeates every subculture.

It so is. I always use my name as my tag and the number of times in computer games guys have ignored my really good plans or told me to "be quiet and go make us sandwiches" is ridiculous. I actually really dislike MMOs because I get sick of the constant stream of degrading sexism.

I also hate that if I've just gotten a new game guys are like "see all girls suck at games". No everyone sucks at games they've only played for half an hour.

• Like 1

Years ago I applied for a job as 'hardcore programmer', that was really the job title, and they were looking for someone who knew what they were doing without help from frameworks to do part of the work for them. So, I send in my resume and a nice cover letter and was asked to come in for an interview, but bring some examples of work with me. I was somewhat confused about printing out code, but sure, whatever. 

By then they'd misplaced my resume and cover letter so they went into the interview somewhat blank. And kept asking design like questions. Not software design, but colours and if I'd ever drawn comics and things. I was totally flabbergasted, just couldn't figure out how this fit to the job I was applying for. So about half way through the interview when it became clear there weren't going to be any code questions I just asked what the deal was. "Why do you want to know how my best batman drawing looks like if you want someone to code? Seriously, what's up?!"

They looked at me completely surprised and said "you're not here for the design job?!" After much apologizing we then went further into coding, but it was so weird. Just because I'm a girl they assumed I was there for the design job. Even while I brought printed out copies of code with me and no design stuff. I did get the job (the code job, not the design one) and I've worked there happily for a few years.

Still, even working there I was frequently asked to go along to client meetings, firstly because I was good at my job, but more importantly because I'm a girl.  Cause that makes a good impression on the clients. That's the way the world works unfortunately. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical