• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi all! I am a little late to this challenge, but very excited. 

Main Quest:

Feel better about myself in every way. 

Goal #1:

Do the beginner body workout three times a week. 

Goal #2:

Run three times a week. 

I truly enjoy running as a way to clear my head and push myself. I injured myself last year while training for a marathon and just recently got the go ahead to begin running again. 

Goal #3:

Cut back alcohol to three servings a week.

This has been my biggest struggle. I love craft beer and have a small homebrewing hobby. I am trying to find a balance between this hobby and being healthy. 

Life Quest:

Finish my internship/Master's program in Education Leadership. 

Motivation:

1) I am going on a cruise to Mexico in December and want to feel confident in a swimsuit. 

2) My father is an alcoholic and I don't want to be like him. 

3) My husband has been struggling with his weight and I want to set a good example. 

Stats to come...

Thanks! Today was a sucky first start. Hosted my daughter's birthday party. Small house, many people. Lotsa leftover beer. Tomorrow will be a better day. 

You have some AWESOME motivation. I'm actually going on a cruise in December too! What a cow-inky-dink. :)

..Actually, now that I think about it, I could almost be reading my own goals. That and I'm going to school for education!

I'll DEFINITELY be cheering you on the whole way! Never give up! :D

Every day you work on your goals, you get a little stronger.

You have some AWESOME motivation. I'm actually going on a cruise in December too! What a cow-inky-dink. :)

..Actually, now that I think about it, I could almost be reading my own goals. That and I'm going to school for education!

I'll DEFINITELY be cheering you on the whole way! Never give up! :D

Every day you work on your goals, you get a little stronger.

Cruise details? Where are you going? It will be our first cruise as a family-we are doing a Mexican cruise for Christmas. I can't wait!

Ok, so I'm a teacher so I had to take some time to think about my grading system.

Between now and September 8, I need to weightlift 18 times, run 18 times and have no more than 18 beers/alcoholic drinks. Here is how I will grade myself:

For strength training/running

18/18 (100%)-A

15-17/18 (85%)-B

12-15/18-(70%)-C/Must repeat Challenge goal

Below 12-F

For drinking

18/18-A

21/18 (15% overage)-B

23/18 (30% overage)-C

More than 24-F

Thoughts? Tweaks?

Today I ran 4 miles, which is the longest distance I have run since last August when I hurt myself (piriformis syndrome). Ate primal for breakfast and lunch. Spent most of the day near the river with family. Was tempted by beer, but kept it to half a glass. Dinner was a faltering point-family offered to make spaghetti. Wanted to spend time with family so agreed, but I have been cutting food like that out of my diet for the past few weeks. I now feel uncomfortable and bloated. May try to fast tomorrow to see if that helps. 

Ok, stats time. 

Height: 5'7

Weight: 152.8

Waist: 34 in

Hips: 38 in

Thighs: 22 in

Upper arms: 11 in

Body fat%: 32.25 (according to online calculators)

I plan on hiding my scale under September 8 (probably in the basement with the spiders). I find that I weigh myself at least once a day and that the slightest change upwards throws me off and discourages me.

Did the beginners BW workout yesterday and tried interval running. No beer (although I snagged a sip of a warm Corona my husband cooked with-blech!)

This morning am giving fasting a try after reading some of the articles on LeanGains. Aiming for noon to break fast.

Taking a day off from working out today. Arms and legs are a bit sore. Push-ups posed the biggest problem for me-I don't make it all the way to the ground, but don't want to do modifieds.

Cruise details? Where are you going? It will be our first cruise as a family-we are doing a Mexican cruise for Christmas. I can't wait!

I going with my 'second' family. My friend and her father invited me so that I'll be said friend's drinking buddy instead of her dad. :P

I believe we are going on a Mexico-area cruise. This'll be my first cruise too. I'm so excited!

You seem to be doing great yourself too by the way!

Good job staying away from the beer and keeping your diet. I'm not doing much with diet this time around but I think I will for the next challenge. Also with push ups, you're not supposed to go all the way to the ground just get your arms to 90 degrees. And I admittedly started my push ups as modified ones. But I was able to quickly work my way up to the normal ones. If you, by any chance, want more info on push ups I believe there is an article written by Steve on the NF site. :)

Are you doing your masters and teaching full-time?

I have wanted to start mine but I am not sure I can time manage it all. I already do too much school related work at home.

Your goals look really similar to mine - especially the third one! I've left alcohol out of this challenge as I'm on my Summer break (I'm a teacher too) and that usually involves large numbers of cocktails while I catch up with friends I haven't seen all year.

Good luck, it sounds like you're doing really well so far!

You seem to be doing great yourself too by the way!

Good job staying away from the beer and keeping your diet. I'm not doing much with diet this time around but I think I will for the next challenge. Also with push ups, you're not supposed to go all the way to the ground just get your arms to 90 degrees. And I admittedly started my push ups as modified ones. But I was able to quickly work my way up to the normal ones. If you, by any chance, want more info on push ups I believe there is an article written by Steve on the NF site. :)

Thanks, I will check it out, if only not to feel like such a wimp. :)

Are you doing your masters and teaching full-time?

I have wanted to start mine but I am not sure I can time manage it all. I already do too much school related work at home.

I am working on a second masters for an administrative certification-its an arrangement through my division and a local college, so they made it really convenient for us. I am actually done with all my coursework and just have internship hours left. 

I have worked full-time and gone to school full-time since undergrad, so I really don't know anything different-otherwise, I'd give you advice. Since the coursework ties in so much to daily work, it didn't seem like TOO much extra, but that's easy for me to say since it is mostly over now. :)

Your goals look really similar to mine - especially the third one! I've left alcohol out of this challenge as I'm on my Summer break (I'm a teacher too) and that usually involves large numbers of cocktails while I catch up with friends I haven't seen all year.

Good luck, it sounds like you're doing really well so far!

Thanks! The lack of beer is the worst. But I'm working on it. Saving up my weekly allotment for the PA Renn Fest this weekend-you have to love a Renaissance Festival with an onsite brewery. 

Yesterday was rainy and my plans of taking the kids to the pool were washed out. I hate rainy days during the summer. I can never think of anything to do and always feel like I let them watch too much TV and play video games. This put me in a bit of a mood that I tried to get out of all day. 

Foodwise, things went mostly well. There is still a lot of leftover candy from my daughter's birthday party. I found that I snuck three pieces throughout the day, two times for candy I'm not even entirely fond of (Laffy Taffy). It didn't do too much power, but I want more willpower. Today I am going to try to have a piece of fruit each time I have try to pull a candysnatch. I also found myself munching on half of a homemade mini pizza also leftover from the party. I have been trying to eat Primal, so I convinced myself to throw the other half away before I finished it. 

Yesterday was Day 2 without beer. Yay me! I had given myself an allowance of three beers per week (on for each weekend day) and am saving up for this weekend when we head to the PA Renn Fest for Time Traveler's Weekend. I can't wait!

Yesterday was a day off exercise-wise, but I did manage to convince the kids to go on a mini-walk and I went for a walk by myself after my husband got home. Leg hurt afterwards. 

For today, I will do the strength workout and try to get a run in. I actually started aching after the last strength workout, but I see that as a good sign. I am also trying IF again today, aiming to break the fast around noon. 

There is a Crossfit class tomorrow at the gym I belong to. I have wanted to try it out for a while. Not sure if that would count towards strength training?

By new Doctor Who do you mean Peter Capaldi? lol. I will have to watch him and see. It took me a long time to like Matt because I loved David so much and Chris was great, but 10 is my Doctor. You never know, I could like him right away or he might have to grow on me.

I have seen him in other stuff and he was very good.

@lalalamarieisme I agree about 10. Matt Smith was just a little off for me.

Did my first crossfit class tonight. I doubt I will be able to move tomorrow. It is exactly what I need and can't wait for the next one. I might be singing a different tune when the body aches start.

Had 1.5 beers tonight. Held out for 3 days, which is the longest I have gone without a drink since I was pregnant back in 2009. Made the fast until 12 noon. Probably could've held out longer, but it was hard to make lunch for the kids and not me. Had Thai food tonight to support a local business. Got Drunken Noodles-the sauce was good, but I am finding that I am losing my taste for all grains. Walked to playground, gym, ran easy for 20 minutes, crossfit for 1 hour, walked back home.

Biggest fear is how I can keep all of this up when I start back to teaching in 1.5 weeks.

Biggest fear is how I can keep all of this up when I start back to teaching in 1.5 weeks.

It sounds like you're doing really well so far!

I share your worry - I'm back at school in about 3.5 weeks and I'm freaking out about it because a) bonding happens over cake b ) It's an extra 30 mins commute over my last place and I barely had enough time to get organised then, let alone walking the dog in the morning AND sorting out healthy lunch c) there's an onsite cafe that I happen to know makes the world's most delicious paninis and d) stress makes me want carbs and booze.

Hang in there - I'm sure you'll end up being an inspiration to me ;)

It sounds like you're doing really well so far!

I share your worry - I'm back at school in about 3.5 weeks and I'm freaking out about it because a) bonding happens over cake b ) It's an extra 30 mins commute over my last place and I barely had enough time to get organised then, let alone walking the dog in the morning AND sorting out healthy lunch c) there's an onsite cafe that I happen to know makes the world's most delicious paninis and d) stress makes me want carbs and booze.

Hang in there - I'm sure you'll end up being an inspiration to me ;)

Exactly! My school is a little over an hour away, each way. Many economically disadvantaged students with some pretty heavy backgrounds-it's one of the reasons I was having AT LEAST 1 beer each night (though rarely more than 2 on a weeknight. It's not like I was a drunk. It just doesn't seem like a good solution to that stress.). But between waking up around 530, getting kids ready for school, commuting, working, commuting, making dinner, it seems as though I only have about an hour to spend with the family before its the kids' bedtime. I am going to have to get my ass to the gym in the mornings to avoid that. So I will relish the next week of sleeping in until 7. Sigh!

How do you plan to cope with the transition back?

Exactly! My school is a little over an hour away, each way. Many economically disadvantaged students with some pretty heavy backgrounds-it's one of the reasons I was having AT LEAST 1 beer each night (though rarely more than 2 on a weeknight. It's not like I was a drunk. It just doesn't seem like a good solution to that stress.). But between waking up around 530, getting kids ready for school, commuting, working, commuting, making dinner, it seems as though I only have about an hour to spend with the family before its the kids' bedtime. I am going to have to get my ass to the gym in the mornings to avoid that. So I will relish the next week of sleeping in until 7. Sigh!

How do you plan to cope with the transition back?

Honestly I have no idea! Probably with red wine.

It's a new school for me and a lot more challenging than the leafy suburban one I've just come from. Plus I'm starting as a Head of Department and I get the impression that there's a culture of long hours - add to that teaching an ENTIRELY new A level course.... gods, now I'm scared again - there's so much to do! Exciting stuff though.

I've been trying to keep my body clock on a similar pattern to term time by getting up with my husband and either taking him to the station or going out with the dog. I'm going to have 5:30am starts too to get her walked before work, I will never understand how people with kids cope  - especially teachers: truly, my proverbial hat is off to you. I am not looking forwards to the early mornings starting up again especially as it starts getting darker.

Evening wise I'm hoping that I might actually get one or two hours I can squeeze in here and there once dog walking, cooking, shopping, cleaning and school work is done to get back into the gym - I desperately miss strength training and swimming. Last year I had to tutor every night to make ends meet so my gym bag just ended up lonely in the back of my car - I'm hoping that despite my bigger mortgage this year I won't have to do the same and I might actually make it to the pool or the weights room a couple of times per week.

So I broke my vow to not weigh myself. Hovering around 150. But I was looking in the mirror and my stomach looked smaller, so I measured it. Is it possible that I would lose an inch so quickly? I have only been doing this for about a week, but it looks like I have lost an inch around my stomach and dropped 3% fat. Doesn't seem possible.