RPG Fanatics Guild

I'm up for it, definitely! Just let me get this morning's ruck march out of the way.

If you haven't tried rucking before, btw, it's actually really good exercise. The key is to not start off with max weight and to gradually increase your distance. Taking off that pack at the end is always a thrill too, you feel so light - it almost feels like you'll float away!

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Never heard of ruck.  Is it from a ruck-sack, for carrying weights?

ruck.jpg

Precisely! (random photo off google, btw)

A ruck march is supposed to be conducted in full "battle rattle" (combat uniform, including weapon) but my unit is backasswards and just does it in boots, PT uniform, and a 35Lb rucksack. Can't complain too much though, as I'd much prefer to only have to wear 1 pair of ACUs a week and I'd be doing much more laundry if we had to ruck fully geared. :P

Keep up the momentum!

Ensi, I had the perfectionsist problem too, I'm mostly over it but I still fight it sometimes. That's why I didn't do this challenge, or any yet to date, so that I could focus on school and finals.

Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be invited to this thread even thought I'm not in the challenge.  I do have a goal, to run 2 miles in the next 4 weeks (which I can't do at all) and since it's only one goal it's not as consuming as an entire challenge. So I'll just be lurking and encouraging this challenge and hopefully I can join you next challenge!

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Ensi, I had the perfectionsist problem too, I'm mostly over it but I still fight it sometimes. That's why I didn't do this challenge, or any yet to date, so that I could focus on school and finals.

Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be invited to this thread even thought I'm not in the challenge.  I do have a goal, to run 2 miles in the next 4 weeks (which I can't do at all) and since it's only one goal it's not as consuming as an entire challenge. So I'll just be lurking and encouraging this challenge and hopefully I can join you next challenge!

Welcome, JessFit! :)

Keep up the momentum!

Years ago, I used to walk to lose weight and I decided I would try huffing weight as well.  I used two school backpacks and just threw a bunch of books in there and would walk up hills and such.  For some reason it felt like I wasn't doing that much.  I know there's a guy on here that is uses a padded vest for working out which has been realy helpful for him.  Plus, I'm essentially weapon weilding with my warhammer routine.  Maybe next challenge I'll combine both for a 'warriors workout'. Weapons=strength/cardio. Vest=endurance/cardio

and Welcome JessFit!

I actually love throwing some weights in a backpack along with some waterbottles  and taking a hike, literally! Hikks, woods, trees, stairs! I might not get the same kind of workout as lifting but I love the feeling I get from the fresh air and work and being outside all day!

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Update!   I checked everyone's challenges and posted links for everyone on the first post.  Might make it easier if anyone else would like to join as well.

Super! :) I don't think I'm taking part in the mini challenge this week, I'm concentrating on my studies... I have an exam coming up in a week. Eep! :D

Welcome, JessFit! Glad to hear that you're getting over perfectionism. It's OK if it troubles us sometimes, because I had an epiphany while starting my battle against it. I was thinking, if my battle against perfectionism wasn't perfect, I wasn't doing it right. See what I did there? I had to be perfect, even if it was about not being perfect. :D So, instead of trying to make my perfectionism go away, I try to see it and then ignore it.

It's a good decision to concentrate on school and finals instead of committing to a challenge, because it does take a lot of energy to change your ways! This is my second challenge, and at the beginning of my first one I wasn't feeling very well and I was still recovering from my breakdown (well, to be honest, I'm still recovering). I made my goals kind of easy, but that made them possible for me. That gave me strenght and momentum to go through the entire challenge. I was in the middle of my studies, too, so I made studying my life related goal. My last challenge got me started, and now I'm trying to make some progress. :) Nice to have you here, and you're welcome to make an unofficial goal involving your studies or something. And good luck with your running challenge! :)

ED; Here's an article of Steve's that has been really helpful for me: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/10/08/willpower/

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

I actually love throwing some weights in a backpack along with some waterbottles  and taking a hike, literally! Hikks, woods, trees, stairs! I might not get the same kind of workout as lifting but I love the feeling I get from the fresh air and work and being outside all day!

That's the bit I really love about it: just being outside! I spend so much time inside the gym these days, it's nice to get outside once a week, even if I am sweating my ass off while I'm out thee.

Keep up the momentum!

Did a couple jump squats 0

Tree pose in yoga 1

Attempted side planks 2

-nothing yet- 3

Attempted regular planks 4

I might try 1 leg planks, but I think i need a different option.

How's everyone else going on the mini-challenge?

True, true! :D

Today I'm putting an end to my dairy consumption. I've heard that milk isn't good for you, if you suffer from PCOS (which I do), so I'm just gonna find ways to replace dairy products in my diet with something else.  I'm not going to buy yoghurt anymore, either. I feel like dairy products keep me from losing weight, and I feel bloated pretty often. x__x I just had my morning coffee with coconut milk. It was ok, but it's gonna take a while to get used to the taste :D

Anyone interested in better sleep, or even polyphasic sleep? I found a lot of good info yesterday about how to better your sleep quality (and how you can cut a lot of your need to sleep, if you do it right) http://www.polyphasicsociety.com/

For the first time in my life I got an explanation to why dusk sleep (sleep soon after dusk) is so important. Not that I'm ready to cut my gaming time from the evenings, for the moment at least, but I'm trying to get more deep refreshing SWS sleep with other means then. Interesting things about melatonin and hormone balance overall, like that during night, if you're up and awake (like many polyphasers are, but applies aswell to people who are awake late), you should have all the blue and green spectrum of light mitigated, so you don't disturb your hormones. So it's red/amber lights. There is even some covers to put on computer screen.

I feel like they had really good background to their claims, and as I've been thinking about starting with polyphasic sleep, I'm definitely going to look up with red lights and lightblocking black curtains :)

Hi everyone!  Sorry I haven't posted here before but this is my 3rd challenge to date and I'm here to try again.  I think that I've made great strides in fixing my problems with eating/exercise/motivation since finding this site many months ago.  A year ago I wouldn't even have considered this a viable option for weight loss, etc, but since trying the ideals on here, trying the 6 week challenges, and switching to a mostly paleo diet, I've come a long way.  I have found workouts that I don't hate and ...(gulp!)...actually enjoy, I am developing a better relationship with food, and I'm trying to be an overall better person.  Good luck to everyone over the course of this challenge!

Hey! Ruck marches (whatever you wanna call 'em) are something we want to do to work on our disaster preparedness (read: preparing for a zombie apocalypse! ;) )

It's definitely something everyone would be doing in the event of a true disaster! Unless you have a horse: horses'll get you just about anywhere you need to go (if you've got the skills to ride 'em, of course!) But yeah, everyone'll be humping it (Army-speak for rucking, usually a term used in combat situations where you don't have any alternative method for transporting your gear) after the apocalypse so it's a great skill to have a head start on. 35Lbs doesn't seem like much until you're looking at 12 miles of uneven terrain you have to carry it through. :P And that's just a ruck sack! The average grunt (Infantryman, or any soldier assigned to serve directly with them on the ground) usually carries a load of anywhere between 75-100Lbs between their armor, weapon, ammo and other gear. Imagine if you had to carry all your food, water, and other assorted items, how much do you think it would weigh?

True, true! :D

Today I'm putting an end to my dairy consumption. I've heard that milk isn't good for you, if you suffer from PCOS (which I do), so I'm just gonna find ways to replace dairy products in my diet with something else.  I'm not going to buy yoghurt anymore, either. I feel like dairy products keep me from losing weight, and I feel bloated pretty often. x__x I just had my morning coffee with coconut milk. It was ok, but it's gonna take a while to get used to the taste :D

Aw, Ensi, I personally feel bad for you on this! PCOS sucks. :( That being said, I do wonder if you've looked into non-pasturized goat milk before? A lot of people who have trouble with dairy products have little-to-no trouble with goat milk or even simply unpasteurized milk. Here are a few articles and studies on the ideas: Benefits of Goat Milk vs. Cow Milk, Science Daily: Goats' Milk Is More Beneficial To Health Than Cows' Milk, Study Suggests, The Raw Milk Movement: Healthy or Hazardous? This is just information for you, I have nothing against a non-dairy lifestyle. Personally, I just looooooove milk and all things dairy, and I know how much you love ice cream too, so I thought maybe you'd be interested in an alternative dairy product. Please keep in mind though that I was raised on a homestead and drank the raw milk I actually hand-milked from our herd of dairy goats from the time I was 8 years old, so I find nothing weird in suggesting the above links for consideration. :P I've learned since then that most people in our modern age find the concepts of drinking goat milk or raw milk almost inconceivable. That being said, frozen fruit puree makes an excellent non-dairy frozen treat in place of ice cream! And here's a recipe for dairy-free Chocolate Sorbet, Vanilla, Strawberry and even Icecream Cookie Sandwiches.

Anyone interested in better sleep, or even polyphasic sleep? I found a lot of good info yesterday about how to better your sleep quality (and how you can cut a lot of your need to sleep, if you do it right) http://www.polyphasicsociety.com/

For the first time in my life I got an explanation to why dusk sleep (sleep soon after dusk) is so important. Not that I'm ready to cut my gaming time from the evenings, for the moment at least, but I'm trying to get more deep refreshing SWS sleep with other means then. Interesting things about melatonin and hormone balance overall, like that during night, if you're up and awake (like many polyphasers are, but applies aswell to people who are awake late), you should have all the blue and green spectrum of light mitigated, so you don't disturb your hormones. So it's red/amber lights. There is even some covers to put on computer screen.

I feel like they had really good background to their claims, and as I've been thinking about starting with polyphasic sleep, I'm definitely going to look up with red lights and lightblocking black curtains :)

Gotta say, I'd never heard of this until you posted about it here. Very interesting! I will be doing more research on this.

Hi everyone!  Sorry I haven't posted here before but this is my 3rd challenge to date and I'm here to try again.  I think that I've made great strides in fixing my problems with eating/exercise/motivation since finding this site many months ago.  A year ago I wouldn't even have considered this a viable option for weight loss, etc, but since trying the ideals on here, trying the 6 week challenges, and switching to a mostly paleo diet, I've come a long way.  I have found workouts that I don't hate and ...(gulp!)...actually enjoy, I am developing a better relationship with food, and I'm trying to be an overall better person.  Good luck to everyone over the course of this challenge!

Hi honeybunch806! Glad to have you, and great job on all the progress you've made! Just a suggestion, but if you have a battle log you can link it in your sig: that way we can all drop in to see how you're doing and offer encouragement. :)

Keep up the momentum!

Honeybunch's thread is in the very first post here so if you wanna drop by.  Essillore, I heard about that broken up sleep and how it's really hard to get into.  Seems interesting.  My game room already has red lights (for playing horror games) but I'm not sure when I would try that. Looks interesting but I think I need to get 100% used to the food/exercise changes before I start working on a sleep revamp.

Ensi, are you able to have almond milk?  I've had the dark chocolate kind and it's *almost* too good.   I used to be a massive milk fiend.  I think that was a major contributor to how much weight I've gained over the years.  I could polish a gallon off every 2 days. 

Goat milk and almond milk are definitely something I could look into! I actually used to drink almond milk, but I am not drinking it right now... I have some issues with nuts at the moment :D For now I bought lactose free cow milk, and I'll drink max one cup daily (so that I can get my coffee taste yammy). I have thought about giving up coffee, though... I only like it, if there's milk in it. I could start replacing coffee with green tea. But maybe I'll do it in next challenge, I don't want to get overwhelmed now! :D Goat cheese is delicious, though. I might buy some later today. Ehehe!

Essillore, polyphasic sleep sounds interesting... But I wouldn't be able to try it until next summer, because switching my sleep pattern just would be too much to handle at the moment. If you'll try it, I'd love to hear the results! :)

Welcome, honeybunch! Happy to hear that NF has helped you to change your ways for better :) By the way, is that a pug in your profile pic? I'm going to get a pug next summer 8D

SO!  Mini-challenge is up this week.  Green Eggs and Ham. Try a few foods you never had / retry foods that you didn't like.

Pre-paleo me hated: peanuts, walnuts, red onion, sweet potato, hummus, almond milk/ice cream, soy ice cream, iced tea, plums, pluots, and about 10 other things.  I love those things now so I'm thinking of retrying fish (which I 've hated forever) and I'll try bok choy because I love chinese food so why the heck not?  I'm going to use some parchment paper and steam it together.  I've looked at a few recipes and I'm going to keep it basic. 

@ Ensi--Yes that's a pug in my picture.  I have 2 pugs--the tan one in the picture is named Chuck and I have an all black one named Frank.  They're the best dogs in the world!  They're silly, goofy, dumb (in a good way), and all around amazing dogs.  They mostly sleep, snore, fart, and sneeze but they're lovable and adorable!  If you're looking for a very active dog, a pug would be a bad choice--but if you want a couch snuggle buddy, you can't go wrong with a pug! 

Hey all, just found out I'm leaving for AFG next week to replace someone else, so I'll be off the grid for a bit and it doesn't look like I'll be completing this particular challenge. See y'all on the flip side.

Sincerely,

Evicious

Keep up the momentum!

I'd love to make myself try some new things this week, or things I've hated/disliked in the past, but I feel that it would actually diminish my attention to my main goals, so I'm just not going there this time around. :/ (Fish would totally be on the list tho... bleah.)

Evicious, you will be missed, take care, and hope to see you in the future!

Level 3 Adventurer with her eyes set on becoming an Assassin.

STR 7 DEX 5  +  STA 3  +  CON 5  +  WIS 7  +  CHA 6

Current Challenge! | Member of RPG Fanatics!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines