• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Claudzilla

Claudzilla, the Running Brontosaurus

Okay, yes, yes, I know that brontosaurus isn't a real thing anymore, but as a highly clumsy former herbivore, I feel it's an apt comparison nonetheless. 

Anyway.

Hello, everyone! Claudzilla here! I started one 6-week challenge in the past, but life "got in the way" (a non-excuse, I know), and I didn't finish, so I'm starting fresh and ready for action. I'm starting this thread to track progress and introduce myself, so, um... hi!

Main Quest: Survive the Brooklyn Run For Your Lives race with full health!

Goals:

1. Complete Couch-to-5K, starting at Week 3. I'm starting at a tougher level because I know I can already do the first two weeks, and I don't want to get bored. I'm focusing on good form to prevent injury, and transitioning to minimalist footwear.

2. Beginner's Body Weight Circuit twice a week to build strength. If I'm super stressed, I may swap this out for some occasional yoga, but strength is my main goal.

3. Actually quit smoking for real, for real, for real. I've been "quitting" in one form or another for over five years (yikes! Also, if you've ever smoked, I'm sure you can relate), and while I have achieved dramatic cutbacks, I'm still a fond social smoker. To this end, I'm going to get one of those e-cigarettes and ease down to the 0 nicotine option, so I can still stand around and enjoy the ritual.

Side Quest: Practice the piano 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I love playing, but have zero discipline, so I'm hoping that I can up the minutes once I've built the habit.

So that's my quest! Best of luck to everyone, and I mean that! Let the adventure begin!

Welcome, Claudzilla!  This is a great place to get started with those goals!  And I must say, some of them are huge!  Quitting smoking is a great, admirable goal.  I share your other goals, in particular working on weight training.  It's something I have wanted to do for a long time and maybe we can help each other.  Do you belong to a gym?  I don't; I have a weight bench and hand weights at home.  trying to watch videos to learn technique.

Best of luck to you!  I am going to follow your thread and cheer you on!

My mom was a smoker for 20+ years and it takes a lot to break the habit.  Much respect.  A friend of mine is quitting smoking and he uses that water-vapor cig and it's working out for him pretty well. 

Same Q as LegoLady(love that name btw; love legos).  You have a membership or a home gym?  I have a home gym consisting of a tractor tire, a medium and small tire, 2 sledgehammers, and some free weights made of jugs filled with sand (which I'll upgrade with cement eventually).  You'd be surprised what you can do with a sledgehammer.  It's a kettle bell on a stick.  Check my thread if you want pics:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/34349-warhammer-friends-round-3-terosx/#entry626670

Thank you both so much for the encouragement! I really appreciate it!

I don't have any kind of weights yet - I'm going to start with just body weight workouts - push-ups, squats, planks, etc. That will be enough for me for now, I'm sure! 

Went out for my first Couch to 5K run today, and it went pretty well! I'm feeling good, and looking forward to the next one!Onward we go!

You set yourself up for a really good challenge! I did the Couch to 5k 2 challenges ago and it helped me cut my mile time down by about 3 mins. Good luck with your challenge. :)

Thanks, Jonesy! It's good to hear that the program has gotten results for other people. I'm using it to build endurance - I can run fast for short bursts, but I'm terrible at slowing down and pacing myself, so I'm hoping the run-walk will solve that one. Good luck on your challenge!

The program will be great for that and for you! I did C25K to learn how to run a full 5k without dying and hitting the pace minimum. Fun times!

Did today's Beginner Body Weight Circuit. I could only do one circuit, which makes me feel like a noodle person, but I guess that's part of the process. I get surprised every time I don't have the strength for something, even though it happens fairly often - I've always been skinny, so I never noticed that I wasn't remotely strong or fit until a couple years ago. More running tomorrow, and I'm actually looking forward to it!  :tyrannosaurus:

Another Cto5K run done, and feeling good! My husband bought me an e-cigarette today while we were out running errands, so Goal 3 is on track as well. Let's hope I can keep up this momentum!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, guys! It means so much to have people cheering me on. I went out for a run yesterday, and another today. Today's run increased the ratio of running to walking, and I feel great! The only downside is that my creeping foe, the shin splint, is making a reappearance. I've got an ice pack strapped to my leg, so hopefully that'll slow it down.

The e-cig is working pretty well so far, although it's still quite difficult to turn down the real thing when I'm out drinking. The weirdest thing about making the switch is that I can't tell when to stop puffing at it, since it doesn't have a natural end-point like a real cigarette. But, all in all, I like it so far. It doesn't give me headaches like regular cigarettes, so, yay!

Thanks again for the kind words, everyone!!!

Looking back on week 1 (for me, since i started late), things are going okay. I did four runs and one strength workout, so I need to shift the ratio back a little bit, but the runs have been really fun. For the first time in my life, I'm looking forward to working out! Woohoo! :victorious: That's the biggest victory for me. 

As for my other goals, I've got my e-cigarette, and I'm getting used to it. I went to a poker night and bummed two real cigarettes, but in my defense, I lost horribly, so...  :pride:

Week 2 is off to a good start - went running this morning despite being incredibly tired, and I'm planning on some strength work tomorrow. I hope everyone else is having a good Monday and feeling ready to hit the halfway mark!

That's a huge milestone right there.  Once you like working out, everything changes.  That's why I'm a big advocate of just going outside the box and trying tons of different workouts in the beginning.  It's how I came to love using a warhammer to exercise.  Now I'm extremely excited for the winter when it snows.  My shoveling is being perfected now. :) 

Thanks, Terosx! I just got back from another run, and although it was tough to finish, I feel great. I'm on Week 5 of Couch to 5K - on track to finish in time for the challenge, I think!

You should just warhammer the snow out of your driveway.  :nevreness:

Well a few years back the plows didn't show up and the snow would warm a bit, then refreeze.  Had about 2-3 inches of pure ice on the road.  I wasn't able to chop at it; bent a couple shovels... and then I said, "Screw it, I'm grabbing the hammer".  Each hit would shatter about a 1-2foot diameter of ice.  Then I just had to shovel the ice chunks. 

Since then, I wait until the plows start neglecting my dead-end street and ready the hammer.  It works insanely well.  It's one of the reasons I like using a sledgehammer in the first place. :)