• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Right... Let's see how this goes.

Seems the done thing is a brief bio of sorts as intro.

I'm 37 this week. I'm married and have three young boys competing for my attention. I'm not unfit, or overweight really, but I'm not what I used to be. Most significantly, I just don't have the energy or drive that I used to. A bit of running or gym here or there isn't cutting it, and I've long since given up asking doctors why I'm always so tired.

So here goes a serious effort to get back to the physical condition I was in during my early 20's. If I can do that, I'm hoping at least some of the energy I had will come back too!

Main Quest

To get back to the physical form I was in 10 years or so ago, in my early 20s.

Specific Goals

1 - Back into the 70s (80 kg target)

I averaged around 75-77kg without serious strength training, and up to 80kg with weight training. All about 15-17% body fat.

I've been up to 85kg and 22% lately, but about 83 & 21 today.

2 - Back to Blue Belt

I received by second degree, or first Full Dan black belt 10 years ago this month (First degree black several years before that). I'm at a new club (new state), and my eldest boys are training with me (which is awesome).

However, I've had to start back at white belt. The instructor is happy to grade me much more quickly, but I have to learn all new Poomse (patterns / forms), so it's taking some effort. Graded to yellow (W00t!) yesterday, would like to get through Green tip, Green, Blue tip and up to Blue.

3 - Back to benching my bodyweight

Part of getting that strength back. I'm at about 70kgs at the moment, but my "easy" gains have gone I think!

Life Side Quest

Have a budget.

I'll keep it that simple. I don't even need to stick to it... or track it... Just creating one is enough for now. I'm epically bad at this.

Motivation

Mainly I miss my old energy levels. I want to keep up with my children, three growing boys. I want to have the energy to keep pushing for self improvement, not just coasting.

I was *so* close to my second degree blackbelt before college. Got back into it for a few months with some money I had saved up, but now I just can't find the money to take up classes again on my grad-student salary.

Good luck! Learning poomses is easier the second time around.

So - mixed bag. Headache most of today, so food intake wasn't great - caffeine and sugar to partner with the drugs...

Specific Goals

2 - Back to Blue Belt

Double promoted on Saturday - Now at Yellow belt, green tip.

145 lbs / 66 kg x 8 reps

Have had a week off gym, but still did TKD twice and a 6km+ run. Needed the rest, I think... also ate a little off plan (justified by birthdays / visitors / recovery etc.).

Specific Goals

84 (up a kg, but it's a small variation and I was refuelling ;-))

No benching since last time. I have loaded the Barbel Battalion workout from the nerdfitness strength guide into my phone. Did the first session today, which meant Push Press and barbell lunges for the first time.

Also ran 6km, @ 5:05/km in my vibrams (on a treadmill), which felt very good.

Well - the planned week off, to recharge a little, then ran head long into 10 days of flu / secondary infection...

The day (literally) I got over that and went back to TKD, I tore my hamstring.

Grade 2 tear, confirmed by 2 physiotherapists (and the fact I had to walk funny for a few days), kind of puts me a bit behind. 4-6 week recovery time, with biweekly physio for at least the first few weeks. And that's just to get running again I'm told.

Nonetheless, updates are:-

Specific Goals

81.0 (have stuck to diet fairly well)

2 - Back to Blue Belt

While I know the patterns / Poomse / Forms, I'm not going to be able to go back to training for at least another month I'm told. So, I got 2 out of the desired 5 levels of "promotion" to get to Blue Belt. Being generous that's a C.

145 lbs / 66 kg x 8 reps is still my best - I think I've maintained this, despite the time off, but certainly haven't improved it. There's still a (slim) chance I can hit this goal, at least for a single rep.

End result - OK despite the injury. Maybe B?

Main Quest

To get back to the physical form I was in 10 years or so ago, in my early 20s.

Specific Goals

Have had readings in the 79.X range. It still bounces around of course from day to day, but I call that success!

A

2 - Back to Blue Belt

Graded 2 levels, out of the target 4. I still think I could have got there as I know the forms fairly well, but can't train yet given the hamstring tear.

B-

I think I'm only closer to my target because my weight has dropped ;-)

C

Life Side Quest

Have a budget.

Done - even tracking against it this month. 

A