• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tony

The Vault Dweller's Beginning [maa146]

Better late than never. I took my family to South Korea and it's taken me a lot longer to recover from the vacation than I anticipated. So, the first week of this challenge I was recovering and getting back to my normal routine. Sorry for being late.

Since everyone else has theme music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s20Oc_LWbI

Main Goal: To be better today than I was yesterday. (still working on this)

Pip-Boy_2000.pngPip-boy:

You have to know where you are before you can figure out how to get where you want to be. So, I will track my daily food consumption and weekly body measurements.
Graded: Out of 35.

111px-Endurance.gifBenchmark:

I will complete the following benchmarks:

500 meter swim time
Max push-ups in 2 min
Max Sit-ups in 2 min
Max pull-ups
1.5 mile run time

Graded: Pass/Fail

BonusHtHDamage.pngStrength:

Since the last workout habit didn’t take, I’ll try again. I will workout 3 times a week.
Graded: Out of 15

Comprehension.pngMindful Living:

I will reduce the amount of mindless entertainment I consume by working on a hobby for 10 min a day.
Graded: Out of 35

200px-Perk_wild_wasteland.pngSide Quest:

I got a wild hair one day last challenge and tried to do a handstand. It failed, I don’t have the balance to stay upright. So, this challenge, I will improve my balance and do an unassisted handstand.
Graded: Pass/Fail

Hey, nice to see you again! I thought we were missing some monks. Good to see you back at it!

Ooooh unassisted handstand 0_o

That's in my next upcoming challenge. How long do you consider a handstand, like 5 seconds of being straight in it?

Hey Maa! How are you!? =D Glad to see you are back!

Don´t worry about being late. It only matters that you are here tacking this challenge and it is quite excellent, the benchmarking is a fantastic idea. 

Thanks everyone. It's good to be back.

Ooooh unassisted handstand 0_o

That's in my next upcoming challenge. How long do you consider a handstand, like 5 seconds of being straight in it?

Honestly, I didn't have a limit in mind. I was thinking I would know it when I saw it (or did it, as the case may be). 5 seconds sounds like a good cut-off though.

----------------------------------------------

Pip-boy:

Food log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlVyd_bNNVe3dGxvMXJscW44QUlnZkszdHdWdmFYUXc&usp=sharing

There's a few things I've learned today:

I've found the reason I don't weight anything: conservative calorie intake is 1700.

Also, eye-balling the portions is a bad way to measure. I need to break out the kitchen scale tomorrow (and remember to use it)

Mindful Living:

Studied Japanese for 10 minutes. I couldn't get into it; so, I only put in the minimum amount required. But, at least I did something.

Side Quest:

Practiced before aiki this evening. Got ~2 second unassisted; but the bigger news, I'm starting to feel the off-balance before I'm too far gone to correct.

That is a good way, but don't marry yourself too hard to any one measurement. All caloric content is guesswork, so whatever you decide, make sure that you've got a window built-in. Besides, the body doesn't care about numbers. It cares about feeling. It thrives on chaos.

That´s a nice way to measure the calorie intake! Good work!

Thanks Zuel.

That is a good way, but don't marry yourself too hard to any one measurement. All caloric content is guesswork, so whatever you decide, make sure that you've got a window built-in. Besides, the body doesn't care about numbers. It cares about feeling. It thrives on chaos.

I need to keep that in mind. I know I'm dealing with agricultural products; however, I'm finding out that when I see the numbers I want to take them at face value.

Pip-boy:

Food log: https://docs.google....UXc&usp=sharing

~2995 calories today. I need to be careful and not let the numbers skew my eating habits.

Mindful Living:

Played guitar for ~45min this evening while my daughter sang and danced. Heart exploding cuteness.

Also, studied Japanese for 20 min.

Strength:

I woke up too late to workout this morning and was rained out this evening. I will workout tomorrow before aiki.

Well, as long as you're dealing with agriculture, let me give you another tip: fibrous veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, egg plant and such? You can pretty much write off their caloric content. It's mostly fiber, which doesn't digest, and the nutrients that are left over don't appreciably impact the waistline one way or the other, except to make you smaller. You will, however, want to be mindful of carrots, which are sugary enough to have a meaningful glycemic index, as well as peas, green beans, and other legume-likes.

Mindful Living:

Played guitar for ~45min this evening while my daughter sang and danced. Heart exploding cuteness.

Haha, those are precious moments. May there be more of them!

Well, as long as you're dealing with agriculture, let me give you another tip: fibrous veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, egg plant and such? You can pretty much write off their caloric content. It's mostly fiber, which doesn't digest, and the nutrients that are left over don't appreciably impact the waistline one way or the other, except to make you smaller. You will, however, want to be mindful of carrots, which are sugary enough to have a meaningful glycemic index, as well as peas, green beans, and other legume-likes.

Mmmhmmm. I really like broccoli. I think I have found a new snack for the afternoons.

Haha, those are precious moments. May there be more of them!

Thanks Zuel. She loves to sing and dance.

Yesterday, life happed in a good way. I got a call from my Iaido sensei invited me to train with his sensei. So all my plans went out the window. I didn't get a chance to workout, but I did swing a sword for 2 hours.

------------  Yesterday [8/7/13]  -----------------------

Pip-boy:

I went out to eat after training and I have no idea how much sushi I ate.

Mindful Living:

All night was spent at iaido; so, nothing done on my hobbies.

Pip-boy:

~2500 calories today.

Mindful Living:

Played guitar this morning for 20 minutes.

Strength:

I guess I'm still a little jet-lagged. I haven't been able to wake up early enough to workout all week. I may have to rethink working out in the mornings.

Well, you're a martial artist. If life calls you to do martial art things... well, you can't really say no to that, can you? That's awesome that you got to meet the teacher of your teacher.

Pip-boy:

~1950 calories today.

Mindful Living:

Studied Japanese this morning for 20 minutes.

Strength:

I did workout before aiki this evening; however, I made a mistake. I haven't worked out in about 4 weeks, but I tried to pick-up exactly where I left off. My arms have been shaking since I stopped.

Well, that's one way to do it. Not the best way, though. ^^; May want to scale back a bit, huh?

A quick update: I haven't quit, I've just been busy.

Pip-boy: Updated every day.

Strength: I scaled the workout back a bit on Monday. 

Mindful Living: I've been playing guitar and studying Japanese everyday. I also have plan to brew in the next week or so.

Strength:

I did workout before aiki this evening; however, I made a mistake. I haven't worked out in about 4 weeks, but I tried to pick-up exactly where I left off. My arms have been shaking since I stopped.

How did that go? Hopefully you´ll be back to your former level too.

A quick update: I haven't quit, I've just been busy.

Pip-boy: Updated every day.

Strength: I scaled the workout back a bit on Monday. 

Mindful Living: I've been playing guitar and studying Japanese everyday. I also have plan to brew in the next week or so.

Good to know =D, hope you are doing well!

My hard drive crashed at work, so I'm even more busy.

Pip-boy: ~2100 calories today.
Strength: I still wasn't totally recovered from Friday's and Monday's workout; so, I scaled back a little more.
Mindful Living: Played guitar off and on for about 2 hours today.

Oh, not good, re: hard drive. That's a writer's nightmare right there, that is.

Same with a programmer.

How are your arms doing?

Ouch. Hate when HDs die. Work only piles up! Let´s hope nothing was lost.

My arms are doing ok. Better as the week drags on.

So I ran out of smoothie stuff yesterday and I've seen a huge drop in calories because of it. I did a little research and found that I need at least 2500 to gain weight; so, I need to start eating a lot more. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Pip-boy: ~1900 calories today.
Mindful Living: Played guitar off and on for about an hour today. Studied Japanese for 20 min.

Rice. Eat all the rice. Jasmine rice in particular is very tasty. Potatoes are a good thing to eat for extra calories too. If you're thinking fat sources, avocadoes are good, and you can just pound shots of olive oil if you need to. Ooh, also, nuts and seeds; go raw on those to get the best fatty acid profiles. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, those will all do you just fine.

So, my home computer crashed as well. I finally got it working last night. Update coming soon.

Rice. Eat all the rice. Jasmine rice in particular is very tasty. Potatoes are a good thing to eat for extra calories too. If you're thinking fat sources, avocadoes are good, and you can just pound shots of olive oil if you need to. Ooh, also, nuts and seeds; go raw on those to get the best fatty acid profiles. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, those will all do you just fine.

Wow, shots of olive oil sound intense. I don't think I'm at that level yet. Thanks for the advice.

We went to see my wife's family over the weekend and I didn't get a chance to do anything with my challenge.

Pip-boy:

I have gained ~1.5 pounds and about half an inch everywhere. Continuing to update the food log; however, my calorie count is falling behind.

Benchmark:

Haven't made any progress on this; however, I'm hoping to do the entire routine this weekend.

Strength:

Skipping Friday's workout might have been for the best, because I felt much stronger doing my routine yesterday.

Mindful Living:

Played guitar for 30 min yesterday.