Simba is keeping it simple this time.

Simba

I haven't had a successful challenge in a while, I think it is because I try to do too much. I will typically have a week or two of going strong and then it becomes too much for me to want to stick with. So, for this challenge, I am going to make small, manageable changes that I can actually stick with.

Great big over-arcing storyline goal: Simply get back into an active lifestyle. This challenge will be a catalyst.

Run/bike 4x a week [+2 DEX] [+3 STR]

Eat 1 fruit and 1 vegetable every day [+3 CON]

Weigh myself once a week [+2 CON]

Read 30 minutes a day [+3 WIS] [+2 CHA]

Very simple goals that will be easy to follow and hopefully push me in the right direction to make other healthy choices.

• Like 1

Level 2 Scout[sTR 3] [DEX 7] [sTA 7] [CON 3] [WIS 3] [CHA 5]Current Challenge: Keeping it Simple"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." 

I usually read before bed, and ooooooooh what am I reading... the million dollar question. I work at a public library, and I have about 50 books checked out right now, lot's to get through! Fiction-wise, I'm just starting of Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted (holy freaking weird already, I'm in love), with Damned on the docket and some children's lit waiting in the wings. I'm also sloshing through a ton of art history and theory books to get a jump on my graduate program this fall.

Still working on a schedule, I'm just getting back on my feet so to speak as far as seriously working out goes (had a pretty lazy summer) so I'm just doing what feels right for now. Going to try to 3 day sets of run-bike-rest and see how that goes (although I may be doing more biking than running, recently I've been finding much more satisfaction on the bike, even though I'm a long-time runner. What's happening!?)

Level 2 Scout[sTR 3] [DEX 7] [sTA 7] [CON 3] [WIS 3] [CHA 5]Current Challenge: Keeping it Simple"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." 

Owww, books! Books and arts! Books arts and lion king references! Must follow :) 

Good to see your back Simba. 

As you work in a library I'm assuming you have access to ever single book ever written, so let me recommend you "The long Earth" by Terry Pratchet and some other dude. That and "Elantris' by Brandon Sanderson are the best books I've read in the last 10 years or so. (And I read loads)

The Long Earth isn't part of the Discworld series put is set in our world, but with a twist (obviously, otherwise it wouldn't be fiction). The only problem with this book is that it needs a sequel, maybe two ;)

Elantris is a fantasy book that combines politics, culture, social relationships and bits of magic in a completely new world. No boring old elves and dwarfs but a very well thought out new place. All Sandersons books are amazing, but this one is just brilliant. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

I'm gonna post sporadically (consistent posts has never been my specialty) but here's how today went:

fruit: avocado with breakfast

veggie: green peppers on a buffalo chicken wrap

bike: two outings, 16miles total (wahoo!)

Good to see your back Simba. 

As you work in a library I'm assuming you have access to ever single book ever written, so let me recommend you "The long Earth" by Terry Pratchet and some other dude. That and "Elantris' by Brandon Sanderson are the best books I've read in the last 10 years or so. (And I read loads)

Its a blessing and a curse, I check out way more books than I could ever read (another perk... no late fees!) but I will definitely put them on my list, they both sound great and I've been craving a new fantasy novel :D

16 mile bike ride today! Farthest I've ever biked in one sitting and it felt great! Probably could have gone a bit further still but I didn't want to tempt fate today.

I think I've decided that the bike is where I'm going to stay for this challenge though :D

Im thinking about doing a backyard triathlon in the next few weeks.

I have a 10m long pool so roughly a million laps.

Or realistically 50/100/150, I actually have no idea what I can swim but 1.5k is standard triathlon distance, yes?

Bike from my house a nice 20-25 mi loop back to my house.

Run 10k from my house in an out and back.

Doable? Or am I setting unrealistic goals?

Realistic I would say, assuming you are at least somewhat competent at swimming :)

But I thought you were through with running somewhat?

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

Realistic I would say, assuming you are at least somewhat competent at swimming :)

But I thought you were through with running somewhat?

I've always been a pretty strong swimmer but i just don't swim very often. A triathlon is a challenge that I've wanted to take on but I was actually always worried about the bike portion to be honest, until recently I wasn't one to bike at all. Lately though I have been enjoying the bike more and more, and certainly it has been my preferred form of locomotion, but I plan on continuing to run as well and I think a triathlon (even a made up solo course) could be a good motivator to mix up my workout routine and hop off the bike a few times each week.

Totally go for it in that case. Although you may want to consider going to a bit longer pool or even a lake or something. Turning is quite heavy and doing that every ten meters (stopping your forward motion, spin around, creating motion in the opposite direction) can really tire you out much faster than needs be.

But I'm sure you can do this :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines