funny things are everywhere.

Some have two legs, some have four.

Some have one leg, some have more.

Some are high and some are low.

Not one of them is like another. 

Don’t ask me why; Go ask your mother.

If you’ve never done these things you should;

These things are fun, and fun is good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to week 2!

This challenge is all about trying some new movements.  You need to try at least 5 movements or exercises that meet the following criteria:

·        they are new to you (you haven’t done them before, or haven’t done them in a VERY long time)

·        they will not hurt you or disrupt your current goals

·        they are at your current skill and fitness level or are very close to it

(Are you getting that we don’t want you to hurt yourself over this? :D )

·        they have the correct number of points of contact with the ground.  

(Say what?  Keep reading)

To successfully complete this challenge you’ll need to try

1. one exercise with one point of contact (eg: one foot, one hand),
  2. one with two (eg: two feet, two hands, one foot and one hand),
  3. one with three (eg: two feet and one hand, two hands and one foot),
  4. one with four (eg: two hands and two feet), and
  5. one “other†(0, 5….) (eg: no points of contact with the ground; head, hands, and feet on the ground)

Go to the spreadsheet and put in your name.  Once you try an activity that meets the criteria, put the name of it (or whatever you call it) in the box underneath the correct number (1,2,3,4,other).

These movements should be new-to-you.  Try something.  Expand your horizons.  DON’T go crazy with this and do so many of them you disrupt your main quest; this is just for fun (and +1 STR ;)).

This mini quest ends Sunday, August 11 at 12 midnight EST (countdown).

If you’ve never done these things you should.

These things are fun, and fun is good!

FAQ:

Do I have to do a specific number of reps?

No.  Just trying it is enough.

My health/injury won’t allow me to do one of the categories!

Skip it, but do what you can in the other categories.  Keep yourself healthy above all!

When do I award the stat point?

Once you complete this mini quest OR at the end of the challenge, whichever you prefer.

Can I post a picture or video of me doing my exercises here in the thread?

Absolutely!  To help keep the bots from stealing them you can use spoiler tags (you'll find them under the "special BBcode" button on the compose window.  Follow the link for a picture of where to find it https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B68HozmBenveMXpPS3hucDVjaDg/edit?usp=sharing )

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hmmmm the spreadsheet wont let me enter my name!

Check out my character here!

Previous challenges: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen,

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain.

Hmmmm the spreadsheet wont let me enter my name!

mmmm, we will get that sorted out as quick as we can.  In the meantime keep a track of your workout somewhere and when it's working you're welcome to plug it in.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I think I'm definitely going to give this one a try, is it possible to get any possible examples of actual movements that fit within each of the parameters in case some us can't find some suitable ones?

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

I think I'm definitely going to give this one a try, is it possible to get any possible examples of actual movements that fit within each of the parameters in case some us can't find some suitable ones?

I would also be interested in suitable examples, specially for 3. :)

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Jonesy: I personally decided to try One-Handed Incline Push-Ups for 3....I was barely able to get one...but I was able to do it. Maybe that or some variation might work for you?

4.44%
4.44%

So I've never actually tried a One-Handed Incline push up but I did fall over once while I only had 1 hand down, when I was getting ready to do an incline push up. :)

I finally found what I was looking for, of course after asking for examples. I thought I had made it up but a Leg High or Knee to nose Yoga move sounds like something I could do without getting hurt, 

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Even though the spreadsheet isn't up yet I did complete this already (hopefully). If one of these doesn't properly fulfill it let me know.

1 - Pistol Squat

2 - Split Squat

3 - One-Armed Incline Push-Up

4 - Bridge

Other - Jump Squat

4.44%
4.44%

Thanks Welkin for posting those. Good examples!

Also, thanks Tamzilla for posting that link to that website. Lots of useful yoga info and a great place to find examples for this mini quest!

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I'm very interested in trying this, and will look up exercises when I get home. But I'm terribly curious - how do you have no points of contact with the ground? Jumping Jacks perhaps? Thanks for making that one optional, I'm not terribly good at floating :)

Level 2 Assassin: STR: 5 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 1 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4.5

Challenge: The Raptors are Coming

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.

Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

The spreadsheet is still view only so here's my list:

I went with yoga poses (thanks tamzilla for the link) http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_poses

1. Bird of Paradise pose

2. Revolved half moon pose

3. Revolved triangle pose

4. Bridge

5. Frog pose (since you're laying on the ground I called this 5 points of contact)

+1 STR

Level 2 Adventurer

STR:2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 1 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 1 

Challenges: #1 , #2 , 

Current Challenge: Back to Basics

A great one for no points of contact would be a pullup.  Another good one would be toes to the bar, or some variation thereof.  If trying a pullup for the first time is on your challenge list, here's a good time for it!

Oh perfect - because doing a pullup is totally on my list. Not that I can do one yet, but I can possibly practice hanging and maybe changing grip. Thanks!!!

Level 2 Assassin: STR: 5 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 1 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4.5

Challenge: The Raptors are Coming

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.

Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

I did a squat jump for my "no points of contact" I'm hopeful that "jumping in the air" is applicable for no points.

4.44%
4.44%

Sorry!  It's the first time I've set up a google doc for others to use/edit :)  I think it should be editable now!

Yes, I would consider jumping a 0 points of contact exercise.

A 3 could be things like a one legged plank, a one armed pushup/incline pushup, a tripod stand/headstand, or any number of other things -- be creative :D

Good luck!!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

That was a lot harder than I expected, haha. I couldn't even get my head to the floor for the Standing Separate-Leg Stretching Pose which looked a lot easier. 

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

I definitely want to do this. I'm still looking for 3 and 4-points of contact moves. Pretty much everything posted here I have already tried before, or is beyond my skills (like a one-handed push-up lolno). I found one, two, and no-points (I'm going to count the "bow pose", which actually has just your stomach touching the floor, if that's OK) of contact poses from the yoga page that was posted, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has more strength based moves.

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

So I did this today, and I decided to make a little 1-minute video. Hopefully I am posting this correctly (if not, here's the link):

Today was a yoga day, so I went ahead and did mostly all yoga poses.

1 point: Dancer's Pose

This was my first time doing this one, as you can tell from how shaky I am in the video. My body did not understand the mechanics of how to get my lifted leg parallel to the ground!

2 points: Warrior Pose/Revolved Triangle

I wasn't sure if the Revolved Triangle counted as 2 or 3 points. Technically, one of my hands is touching the ground a little bit, but it's just hanging there. I've done both of these poses before. The ones I "tried" and counted for this challenge were the Firefly Pose and the Side Crow Pose - both of which I failed at (and thus, they did not end up in the video).

3 points: One-legged Plank

I do regular planks all the time during my body-weight workouts, but have never tried the one-legged version. If you watch the video that will be very apparent! I also tried a one-handed inclined push-up, but that was a no go.

4 points: Back Stretch

Not really sure what to call this one. Basically, you get on your hands and knees and alternate between letting your lower back sag and pulling it up.

Other: Shoulder-stand Pose and umm... "Head-between-legs"...pose?

No idea what you call the second one! I've done both of these before, but not in many years. Not so good with the Shoulder-Stand Pose. I also tried the Bow Pose, but I was unable to get the front of my body up like the girl in the link.

Anyway, this was a fun little challenge. The hardest part was thinking of movements that I hadn't tried before and that were at my level. I'm determined now to master the ones I failed at!

I hope my video gives people some ideas for what they might try. I obviously referred to Tamzilla's link of yoga poses, which was quite useful!

*Posy*

Current Challenge

Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenges: One

True Neutral Human Adventurer with Ranger-Druid aspirationsCurrent Stats: LVL 2 || (STR) 6 || (DEX) 4 || (STA) 5 || (CON) 3.5 || (WIS) 9.5 || (CHA) 4.5

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines