WEEK 2 CHALLENGE: Building Bridges

Kishi

Well, we're gonna pretend that somehow, someway, we made it through a rigorous week 1 challenge. Go ahead and bask in the warmth of your accomplishments. You punched all the things!

Now we're gonna move on to a grappling subset move: The Bridge!

Now, there are two variants in the above video listed as the final forms. These are the Neck Bridge and the regular Bridge. For challenge purposes, I'm more interested in the Neck Bridge, due to its nickname: the Wrestler's Bridge.

So, obviously, the goal is to start with where you are. If all you can do is a Glute Bridge - that first variant - then that's okay. Your goal is to progress.

You can progress when you want to, although I've found that Kavadlo's guidelines work really well - 3-5 sets of 20-30 seconds each. It's okay to take your time here, it really is.

Once you get to the Wrestler's Bridge, if you hit the progression standard and you want a new challenge, you can start to press yourself up and make it a dynamic exercise. After all, when fighting from this position, you're not terribly likely to stay still.

Feel free to ask questions and post videos! Let's go to work, monks!

Count me in!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Intriguing, I've never tried doing a neck bridge to full bridge as a dynamic exercise! I will attempt that, and I also want to get to one-handed full bridges (part of the warm-up routine in my class, and the one exercise from the whole warm-up that I can't do).

Level 3 Monk

STR[8]  DEX[6]  STA[8]  CON[10]  WIS[8]  CHA[7] 

Current Challenge

is the goal to hold it for as long as possible or...?

The goal is to get to multiple holds of 20-30 seconds of the bridge, using the progressions as outlined above. So Glute Bridge - Straight Bridge - Full Bridge - Wrestler's Bridge. It's not necessarily about holding any one as long as possible, but about holding long enough to create a foundation for the next progression.

Does that answer your question?

So per my challenge thread I'm somewhere between neck and full, I can get up into full bridge for about 5-10 seconds before I collapse.

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

a lesson in humility ^^

The straight bridges we do in Yoga, & they went fairly well.

So I thought I got quickly pass by the Glute bridges..  Seems if I don't keep my mind focused on my form, my knees hurt as hell. 

Going to keep it at this stage till they get comfortably.

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

I've been bridging evry day, but in the .. yoga way of mindset ..  "do as far as you feel comfortable; pain = no gain", still got 2days to go, I'm obliged to myself to do the neck-bridge tomorrow & I guess i'll strand at that level.

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

Man, I have only completed the partial bridge, the straight bridge is currently outside my grasp.

I tried the neck bridge and for some reason it was easier than the straight bridge. What gives?

Hopefully on Saturday and Sunday I will have more progress.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

Man, I have only completed the partial bridge, the straight bridge is currently outside my grasp.

I tried the neck bridge and for some reason it was easier than the straight bridge. What gives?

Hopefully on Saturday and Sunday I will have more progress.

Hm. Could be that you have stronger glutes than you have arms. The neck bridge - for me, at least - is very intense in that particular region. Lights the whole thing up like Independence Day.

But you know, progress where you can. If the Neck Bridge is something you can do, it's okay. The goal's to get better, not to get held up on arbitrary progression schemes. :D

Hm. Could be that you have stronger glutes than you have arms. The neck bridge - for me, at least - is very intense in that particular region. Lights the whole thing up like Independence Day.

But you know, progress where you can. If the Neck Bridge is something you can do, it's okay. The goal's to get better, not to get held up on arbitrary progression schemes. :D

Mmm, that would explain a lot. Duly noted then. I´ll give them all a try again tomorrow. =P

30s/30s/30s and then 7 presses holding for 5s each 

Wrists are totally like, "wtf!" after the presses, haha

There was a drill we did in Capoeira where you go from a bear crawl type position and then roll over into the bridge without letting back/head touch floor.  That was definitely a killer exercise.  Can barely even do it anymore.  Used to be able to barrel roll/hop into the bridge from there.  Now it's like a sad sad struggle to roll over while pretending the floor is lava for my back and head.

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

uh, ok i struggle with the first two in the progression, but the last two are easy peasy man! I can go into a bridge from standing (former gymnast) - although i havent done it in a while - and the glute bridge isn't too bad, but that weirdass second one owned my puny butt.

Disclaimer:  Only saw this today :(

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

3X30 secs Partial bridges

3X30 secs Neck bridges

2X15 secs Complete bridges

Straight bridges: I will be back with a vengeance!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines