While on a month trip hiking in Bolivia (which most of my acquaintances, friends and family said I should not go on because of how much I hate exercise and the outdoors) I managed to seriously damage my Achilles tendon because my years of exclusively wearing high heels had permanently shortened it. I spent the last two weeks of my trip on serious pain medication with my foot in traction while everyone else told me I wasn't missing out because I didn't like this stuff anyway.

This, I feel sums my current situation up perfectly: I decide I want to do something, I am told I cannot because I am X, Y or Z, I decide to do it anyway with very little preparation and no support and then am mildly surprised when it fails spectacularly.

I have spent my life so far on this planet claiming to be allergic to exercise despite the fact that I love lifting heavy things and that once I am allowed into deep water it is very, very difficult to remove me. I also think that I hate the outdoors despite being a dog owner and having grown up climbing trees and generally getting into trouble while exploring woodland and local farms.

My name is Stochaschick (Hi, Stochaschick!), I'm rewriting my story and I would like some help doing so.

I'm here at Nerd Fitness because I think it might be time to seek out the help and support from like minded people, I'm tired of believing the stories that other people tell me about myself (I'm also rather melodramatic today)

I thought I'd introduce myself as it's been a few years since I was a part of an online community and I'm getting nerdy kid on the first day of school anxiety about posting and generally making myself a part of the conversation.

So:

Hi. Nice to meet you all, shall we be friends?

Level 0 Dwarven Newbie

(STR 0) (DEX 0) (STA 0) (CON 0) (WIS 0) (CHA 0)

First Challenge - Slaying the Demon Bed

http://stochaschick.wordpress.com || @stochaschick

Welcome! I'm new here as well and haven't done this online thing in a LONG time, but here we are I guess! 

You've already made the first step in rewriting your story, and the ones that follow will be the hardest, but I promise it's worth it. 

I used to hate exercise (I remember telling my high school gym teacher that "Some people are just not meant to run") but then I found out that I find strength training really interesting. It's fun to know that suddenly I can pull/lift/push 5lbs more than I could the week before. It might take some time, but you'll find something that sticks. It sounds like weight training and/or swimming might be a good start! :)

I used to hate exercise (I remember telling my high school gym teacher that "Some people are just not meant to run")

Haha, nice to meet someone likeminded - I remember being called "the reason the PE department is failing" when I was at school which I think is a pretty impressive. Now that I have friends who are gym teachers I can understand how frustrating I must have been in class!

It sounds like weight training and/or swimming might be a good start! :)

I just moved house and I'm trying to find one new thing in my town every day - I think the pool might have to be on my list before the week is through :)

Level 0 Dwarven Newbie

Haha, nice to meet someone likeminded - I remember being called "the reason the PE department is failing" when I was at school which I think is a pretty impressive. Now that I have friends who are gym teachers I can understand how frustrating I must have been in class!

Haha yeah you sound a lot like me! I had a friend who was severely asthmatic, so I would hang back with her when the class was out jogging because I said I felt bad she had to walk alone. Such a good friend right? Lol

But seriously, try and find that pool! Maybe they even have a team or something you could join to give you a bit of extra motivation! My best friend did synchronized swimming all through her middle school/high school years, and I've always thought that it looked fun - a combination of swimming, music, and a touch of dance always seemed like a blast, plus she was in super good shape from it!

But seriously, try and find that pool! Maybe they even have a team or something you could join to give you a bit of extra motivation! My best friend did synchronized swimming all through her middle school/high school years, and I've always thought that it looked fun - a combination of swimming, music, and a touch of dance always seemed like a blast, plus she was in super good shape from it!

I did some research and the pool is open to club members only during the times I'd be able to use it but they do offer a 1 month trial membership which, even if I don't carry on going means I get unlimited swims this summer... it also means I get access to Pilates and yoga classes neither of which I've done in years but would love to get back in to.

And I may just check out the weights room while I'm there... It would be rude not to...

*May have just talked myself into a gym membership again*

Level 0 Dwarven Newbie