My DL Form is So Bad it Hurts (to Watch)

I've really been working on DL form, seemingly to no avail. Today I filmed a warmup set and a work set. Obviously my back is way too rounded. Which part of the setup am I doing wrong? I've watched Rip's video about three times this week and I think I have the steps down. Is it a mobility issue re: getting my chest up? Or am I missing a step?

I had previously been trying the setup advocated by K. Star in Becoming a Supple Leopard. But I felt in that setup I wasn't hitting it either, so I switched back to RIp's steps.

This is my work set from two weeks ago attempting the K. Star method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0LPTI60x0

I apologize for how long the videos are. Forgot to trim on my phone. Here are my warmup and work sets today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XWtWsZSP4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LELdiyCP8Ds

Also today was like the second time that I've ever yelled like that while lifitng. It felt really hard, but that's likely because I was essentially lifting with my back.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

You aren't getting tight. Movement is actually ok but you aren't setting your back which isn't good. When you setup on the bar try to drop your hips a little and at the same time use the bar to tension off of; bring your chest up and push your shoulders down. Your back should flatten out and you should feel stronger through the whole lift. Try doing some supermans in your warmup to start to get a feel for how your back should feel during the lift. After you address the posture issue then we can dig more into the actual movement.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Everything J said. You need to drop your hips, your back is starting horizontal to the floor. It should be more like 20 degrees.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Everything J said. You need to drop your hips, your back is starting horizontal to the floor. It should be more like 20 degrees.

Thanks! In the video Rip is constantly telling people not to drop their hips. But I'm guessing I'm just built differently and my leg/arm lengths will require it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

You need to brace your spine first before you start lifting.
Get your glutes and abs tight and roll those shoulders back (externally rotating them) so your chest is firm.
This is very painful to watch, please correct this before you hurt yourself more.

In Suple Leopard Kstarr mentions that you can move your knees a bit forward if you don't have the hamstring length yet (I think this is what you're referring to).
I have that same problem and use that setup too. But you've got to get that spine braced and get rid of that rounding back, it's the most important thing.

In the movie where you use that set-up your back is much straighter, so keep using that if you have to. Also, you're knees sometimes unlock earlier than hips, but this will probably go away after you practice the movement more. 

Thanks! In the video Rip is constantly telling people not to drop their hips. But I'm guessing I'm just built differently and my leg/arm lengths will require it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha this is like the third time I've written this! But you're correct...partially. Rip says not to drop the hips, but to stick your chest out and lock in your lower/upper back. This is hard to do, and will feel incredibly uncomfortable at first, but do it in front of a mirror, then you'll see how it should look. This effectively drops your hips and sets your back angle. As Gainsdalf said, it should be right around 20 degrees. But this varies from person to person based on torso, leg length, arm length etc.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB