How to Lose Body Fat?

I'm a 19 year old girl, 5'11'', 136 lbs with 24%body fat. My goal is to get down to 18% body fat, but I'm not entirely sure how. I've read many of the guides, including the Strength and Fitness Guide, but I'm still a little bit lost. 

How many calories a day should I be eating? (I know I should be eating a caloric deficit)

I've been lifting heavy weights for about 3 months now, but when should I stop lifting heavy and start lifting light with a lot of reps? 

I go to the gym 3x/week for an hour, and run 2x/week for 45 minutes. 

I eat very healthy but definitely not paleo. I like spaghetti way too much. 

Thanks! :)

I'm a 19 year old girl, 5'11'', 136 lbs with 24%body fat. My goal is to get down to 18% body fat, but I'm not entirely sure how. I've read many of the guides, including the Strength and Fitness Guide, but I'm still a little bit lost. 

How many calories a day should I be eating? (I know I should be eating a caloric deficit)

I've been lifting heavy weights for about 3 months now, but when should I stop lifting heavy and start lifting light with a lot of reps? 

I go to the gym 3x/week for an hour, and run 2x/week for 45 minutes. 

I eat very healthy but definitely not paleo. I like spaghetti way too much. 

Thanks! :)

1) Calories: For weight loss it is recommended that you eat (TDEE - 500) calories a day. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. This includes your BMR + any activity you do. It's different for everyone and will take time to figure out what works for you. 

2) Never? There is no reason to do light weights/high reps unless you want to or for some conditioning reasons. IF you like lifting heavy, why stop?  

3) What do you do at the gym? 

4) Paleo isn't for everyone and it is not specifically a weight loss diet. Eating less than what you burn is the main way to lose weight. 

As for finding out how much to eat you'll have to track for a few weeks your intake, weight, and exercise. You'll see trends forming eventually. 

Edit: also 5'11 and 136lbs? That's pretty small already. What method did you use to calculate BF%? 

A somewhat reliable source is the US Navy standard http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

I only say this because losing weight to hit a bf% number may not be the correct path fro you right now. Especially if you are trying to lift heavy. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I jsut calculated my TDEE at 3791 calories per day... I mean.... I barely even come close to such a number, 22 years old, 6 feet 7,  335 pounds..... Should I be worried or ?

1) Calories: For weight loss it is recommended that you eat (TDEE - 500) calories a day. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. This includes your BMR + any activity you do. It's different for everyone and will take time to figure out what works for you. 

2) Never? There is no reason to do light weights/high reps unless you want to or for some conditioning reasons. IF you like lifting heavy, why stop?  

4) Paleo isn't for everyone and it is not specifically a weight loss diet. Eating less than what you burn is the main way to lose weight. 

As for finding out how much to eat you'll have to track for a few weeks your intake, weight, and exercise. You'll see trends forming eventually. 

Edit: also 5'11 and 136lbs? That's pretty small already. What method did you use to calculate BF%? 

A somewhat reliable source is the US Navy standard http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

I only say this because losing weight to hit a bf% number may not be the correct path fro you right now. Especially if you are trying to lift heavy. 

Adventurer

STR: 3| DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 3| WIS:2| CHA:2

I jsut calculated my TDEE at 3791 calories per day... I mean.... I barely even come close to such a number, 22 years old, 6 feet 7,  335 pounds..... Should I be worried or ?

Maybe? Are you looking to lose, maintain or gain? And remember those TDEE calcs are just ballpark figures It's really varies from person to person. And people tend to underestimate the calories in their food. If you aren't feeling tired, worn out and can continue your workouts I wouldn't worry. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Maybe? Are you looking to lose, maintain or gain? And remember those TDEE calcs are just ballpark figures It's really varies from person to person. And people tend to underestimate the calories in their food. If you aren't feeling tired, worn out and can continue your workouts I wouldn't worry. 

Trying to lose, usually I am sub 2k a little more, little less, but in that ball park....a diff of 1.5k.....although I could add some good calories (nuts) before or after workouts, to add fuel to my body. no fatigue, easily going for my workouts not a problem.

Adventurer

STR: 3| DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 3| WIS:2| CHA:2

Trying to lose, usually I am sub 2k a little more, little less, but in that ball park....a diff of 1.5k.....although I could add some good calories (nuts) before or after workouts, to add fuel to my body. no fatigue, easily going for my workouts not a problem.

I wouldn't worry then. Just keep on keepin on. Bigger people can maintain a large caloric deficient more easily it seems. 

As soon as things change, then you should re-evaluate 

As important as (if not more) total calories is the form of the calories. Read "Why We Get Fat" and/or "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.

Outside of protein intake, the form of the calories plays virtually no role in body composition, only the absolute amount. Though increasing muscle mass significantly on a low carb intake is virtually impossible.

Taubes' work should be found in the fiction section.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

1) Alright, I'll definitely check that out, thank you so much for that info! :) 

2) I really do love lifting heavy, but I don't want to get that female bodybuilder look, and from what I've read that's what is going to happen if I keep upping my weight. 

3) At the gym, normally I do freeweights, but sometimes I'll hit the machines to kinda spot-train myself. I generally do 40 minutes legs or arms, depending on the day, and I'll do 15 minutes abs every day. I work out at the gym 4 days/week, run 2 days/week, and rest one day. 

I'm not neccessarily looking to get SMALLER, cause I know I'm already pretty thin. I just want to get more toned. I don't mind gaining weight at all, and since I've started lifting I've probably gained 10 pounds. I just want to decrease my bf% so I can tone up. I used the caliper method to do my bf%. 

Lifting heavy doesn't mean looks heavy. My girlfriend put it best I think when talking about my housemate (5'10, 85kg) when she said "The way you talk about the weight he lifts I'd expect him to be....bigger!"

Those bodybuilder women you see eat and train specifically to look like that!

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Outside of protein intake, the form of the calories plays virtually no role in body composition, only the absolute amount. Though increasing muscle mass significantly on a low carb intake is virtually impossible.

Taubes' work should be found in the fiction section.

Sorry, my read was that OP was asking how to cut body fat, not increase muscle mass (significantly or otherwise).

As for Taubes' opinion, he offers it with citations.

Again, OP specifically asked about reducing body fat %, not weight loss.

As for Taubes, if you think he is wrong, fine. I've read both books, cover to cover. I've looked at some of his citations, read various critiques of his work, and find it all very open to argument. In places where he sees causation I merely see correlation. But that's science.

End of the day, it's your body and your health. You can rely on him, or other experts/gurus...or anonymous posters on a relatively obscure message board. ;)

Again, OP specifically asked about reducing body fat %, not weight loss.

As for Taubes, if you think he is wrong, fine. I've read both books, cover to cover. I've looked at some of his citations, read various critiques of his work, and find it all very open to argument. In places where he sees causation I merely see correlation. But that's science.

End of the day, it's your body and your health. You can rely on him, or other experts/gurus...or anonymous posters on a relatively obscure message board. ;)

Yes, opinions here are so far fetched and outlandish.

Why not go to a much less obscure fitness/fat loss/muscle gain site like myfitnesspal or bodybuilding.com? You don't get laughed at quite as much at NF when you bring up Taubes as you will those other places.  :playful: 

currently cutting

don't panic!

This site is a virtual shrine to paleo/primal, and this is the thread where a stand against LC just has to be made?

Damn, I dropped 30 due to correlation, not causation...teh horror!

Eh you'll find that the % of people here doing paleo is pretty much inversely proportional to how long they've been here and how much success they've had.

Food for thought: Why doesn't NF have a success stories forum?

currently cutting

don't panic!

Eh you'll find that the % of people here doing paleo is pretty much inversely proportional to how long they've been here and how much success they've had.

Food for thought: Why doesn't NF have a success stories forum?

Fair enough. Thought that was the site creator's angle, and the featured success stories seem to be of that bent. Maybe I should get around more.