• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yes, or watch the movie and make a game of it.

Every time you see the ring or someone says "the ring", you get up and instead of drinking a shot you do 5 squats or push ups or something.

And then your sore muscles will make you remember what an Uruk-Hai is foreeeever. :D

Haha that would be a terrible/amazing drinking game :P

Thank you:) I may be waay wrong but is "Uruk-Hai" orc related?Checking out your quest now!

That's quite alright :)

Nope, you is waay right! :P LotR for the win :D

Awesome, thanks!

Yes, or watch the movie and make a game of it.

Every time you see the ring or someone says "the ring", you get up and instead of drinking a shot you do 5 squats or push ups or something.

And then your sore muscles will make you remember what an Uruk-Hai is foreeeever. :D

Haha, that sounds like a pretty awesome, as both the drinking or the exercise.

Hehe, yeah the exercise truly would, I honestly feel like trying this now! :P

Bahaha please report if you ever get it done! :D Either the drinking or the squats. I don't even want to think about how much my thighs would burn after that one.

Especially if you're /really/ hardcore and do the whole trilogy in one setting. Oh boy!

Haha, shall do! :P

Yeah that would be a rather intense burn I think. :P

That would be intense, I think I need to conduct several more challenges before I would even like to ponder the outcome of such an attempt!

That would be an awesome game for people who need to drink mroe water, too. :D Every time the ring pops up, you drink a shot glass full of water. Easily getting your 3 liters down that way!

I kinda want to try this now! But I have my rest day and am not allowed. Maybe tomorrow! Or better... after I've had my test training at the gym, I probably shouldn't get there so sore that I can't move anymore. :D

It would be! That's an awesome idea actually! And you certainly would :P

Brentos, Rachy87, Nim and myself have similar quests, and Brentos is having a LotR themed party this weekend, and we have considered watching all 4 movies (including the Hobbit obviously) this week. Maybe we should have a go at this mini-game too, that would be awesome.

Hehe, yeah mayhaps after the test training at the gym, probably safest! :P

ACK!  Don't do what she does in that video!  Because she's in a doorway, she has to bend her knees to get through to the straddle.  You don't want to practice all the time bending your knees, because it becomes an awful habit.  You may have to do it at first to get over, but you eventually want to work towards a straddle where your legs are straight through the full range of motion... practicing in a doorway will have you practicing bad habits.  Do you have a playground near your house where you can work on it?

It's a really good idea to work shoulder stabilization exercises into your warm-up and your off days/core days/lower body days, whatever.  I know a lot of different people who use different strategies (and I agree with you that pilates is amazing, but it's so expensive and floor pilates doesn't help the shoulders as much), but I think the important part is just to do it.  Learn a few exercises with good form and get it done.

And setbacks SUCK!  I had an 8 week layoff earlier this year after I got in a car accident.  I was so depressed with the amount of strength I lost over such a short time.  It comes back, but the first few days were pretty damn tough.  Good for you getting back to it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take any help I can get. :playful: Oooh might look into the playground. Ideally I want one of those gymnastic wall mounted racks.They look amazing but I think they only do them for sports clubs.

Ahh..I'm just doing a pilates dvd at the moment.I didn't realise it's not as effective for shoulders. Can you recommend anything else to stabilize around shoulder joint? I have a huge range of motion so I have to work on joint stability.

Wow you came back from a car accident! That's so determined.I can't imagine what that must've been like.

Apfelstrudi-Redact-Mad Hatter:

Ok ok I read LOR a long time ago..even before I read all the game of thrones books and I've forgotten what happened in those too :rapture: What a fuzzy brain I have.I've been trying to finish Dan Simmon's Olympos and Illium er..duo(what do you call it when it's not a trilogy?) for ages.I've read the first book twice and and have re-read half of the second one.We are having a dvd marathon night in September and someone did suggest bringing LOR. We are going to watch the "Blood and Icecream" trilogy of Shaun of the dead,Hot Fuzz and Worlds End. I've googled how many times someone says ring in LOR and google says between 50 and 70..Not sure if that's all the films though or just one!.I think I will have no legs left hehehehe.Brilliant idea though!

Quest update:

Well the stairs are going well. I think they are starting to feel easier too. I'm not sure if I'm just going up them slower or I'm getting fitter,but I'm not as much of a breathless heap when I get to the top now.

Iron intake. Ummm :redface-new:  I may have forgotten to take them for a few days. I've still been having leafy greens in my daily salad and I even bought orange juice (which I don't like) to help with iron absorption.So not full marks for this but I'm trying.

3 workouts a week: This week I only did the insanity cardio and my strength training. I kept putting the core workout off-"I'll do it tomorrow"..Well tomorrow never came!..So I need to get into a bit more of a routine. My bf is moving in next week so once we have settled down we should be in more of a fitness routine. However our fitness will be quite different! He loves cardio but struggles to keep weight on and eat enough. I hate cardio but put muscle/fat on easily!..

Went to aerial class on Sat and wow it was brilliant. I can tell my strength is down but I'm happy to be back. I also have nailed the straddle mount on the hoop. I can't believe how I used to find it so hard and now it's easy. I think the problem was that I was thinking too much! Although I'm more using momentum than strength now but I'll work on that.I also did a really cool move but did need help getting into the correct position for it.(everyone in the class did:). When I've figured out how to put the  photo on I will post.

Stair count since start of quest:1704

Nice picture, looks really fun!!! We tried the straddle mount on the trapeze and let me tell you it wasn't pretty... Hopefully I'll find it easy one day too.

Anyways good job on week 3, keep it up!

Thanks for the advice. I'll take any help I can get. :playful: Oooh might look into the playground. Ideally I want one of those gymnastic wall mounted racks.They look amazing but I think they only do them for sports clubs.

Ahh..I'm just doing a pilates dvd at the moment.I didn't realise it's not as effective for shoulders. Can you recommend anything else to stabilize around shoulder joint? I have a huge range of motion so I have to work on joint stability.

Wow you came back from a car accident! That's so determined.I can't imagine what that must've been like.

OMG those stall bar/swedish bar racks?  I want one of those at home so bad!  Sadly, they're expensive, and take up a lot of space.  

Pilates floor may help your shoulders some, but it's not as effective as the big rack type pilates.  It probably will help you develop a lot of the supporting ab muscles (which is very useful, don't get me wrong), but just not the deep rotator cuff stabilizers.  Do you have a theraband?  Therabands are my favorite for shoulder conditioning, this document here (pages 1-8) covers a lot of the possible exercises.  If you spend a lot of time at the computer you probably want to choose 3-4 that focus on opening the shoulder out (i.e. engaging the muscles in the back of the shoulder, that help pull the shoulders down and back).  

Having a huge ROM is actually good, better than having stuck spots... but you're right that you'll want to stabilize & strengthen.

And it wasn't OMG the worst accident ever, it was moderate whiplash, I missed a little work, needed PT and had to take 8 weeks off from aerial training though.  :-(  My hands lost all their callouses.  There are assassins who've come back from major surgery and you'd never know it for how hard they train!  

Do you still have issues from those injuries you got during the accident?

I had a car accident about two months ago, some guy didn't see me, crossed my lane (or tried to) when he wasn't allowed and I rushed straight into him with 50 km/h and no chance to brake. I had whiplash, injured my spine and bruised my sternum/had a few small fissures (not sure if that's the right word!) in the thing that connects my ribs to my sternum.

The doctor I went to a few days after I got out of hospital (I was only there for a few hours, nothing major!) was... not very nice. I only went there because I couldn't drive (car was totaled and in way too much pain) and it was the closest one to where I live, she pretty much told me she thought I was faking it and only let me miss one day of work. Which, in hindsight, was probably a horrible decision because I still have pain in my back where I was injured. 

So if you have any tips from PT, I'd totally be open to try that! :)

What can you do with stall bars? We have some at my gym but I've only used it for stretching shoulders. And for going upside down on them. :)

OMG those stall bar/swedish bar racks?  I want one of those at home so bad!  Sadly, they're expensive, and take up a lot of space.  

Pilates floor may help your shoulders some, but it's not as effective as the big rack type pilates.  It probably will help you develop a lot of the supporting ab muscles (which is very useful, don't get me wrong), but just not the deep rotator cuff stabilizers.  Do you have a theraband?  Therabands are my favorite for shoulder conditioning, this document here (pages 1-8) covers a lot of the possible exercises.  If you spend a lot of time at the computer you probably want to choose 3-4 that focus on opening the shoulder out (i.e. engaging the muscles in the back of the shoulder, that help pull the shoulders down and back).  

Having a huge ROM is actually good, better than having stuck spots... but you're right that you'll want to stabilize & strengthen.

And it wasn't OMG the worst accident ever, it was moderate whiplash, I missed a little work, needed PT and had to take 8 weeks off from aerial training though.  :-(  My hands lost all their callouses.  There are assassins who've come back from major surgery and you'd never know it for how hard they train!  

Yes those swedish ones. I just found out you can get them for home, and they arent too big or as big as the ones in sports centres..:http://wallbars-ro.co.uk/Gymnastics-products/Home-Wall-Bars-2.00m 

Ahh therabands I forgot about those!! I've not got any in but I'm going to try those exercises with my resistance bands. Yes I do spend all day on the computer at work, and even more time when Im home modding!

It's inspirational to see so many people on here fitting fitness in their lives along with everything else. If you guys can do it, I can too!!

What can you do with stall bars? We have some at my gym but I've only used it for stretching shoulders. And for going upside down on them. :)

You can do this :http://youtu.be/6ychdzz6UEA .I  mean Oona Kivela can do that lol. I would love to be like her!I've seen videos of young gymnasts using them to do hanging leg raises/ kicks etc..http://youtu.be/rbhnIC3pMxA  PS I am a bit youtube obsessed so if anyone gets fed up of all my video links just let me know :rapture: I'll try to resist.

Ok so I really,really didn't feel like exercise tonight. So I did a quick 16 minute tabata workout :http://youtu.be/XB7k7NzYSPQ .~I didn't count the reps because I was just using it as a warm up for my core workout. Today I did:

Swan/Superman holds - 3 sets of 10 counts

Hollow Body hold - 3 sets of 10 counts

Crunch on front and back - 3 sets of 10

Crunch and twist on front and back - 3 sets of 10

Pilates lying on side bicycle move - 1 set of 10 on each side

Pilates leg dip move - 3 sets of 10

Oblique crunch - 2 sets of 10 on each side

"Swimming" on front - 2 sets of 10 counts

10 (womens) press ups.(how sad)

I finished up with some stretching.

No keep the youtube vids coming :) I'll check them out later when I'm bored at work haha.

FYI, you can embed youtube videos instead of just posting links using the SpecialBBCode button and use the media tag.

No keep the youtube vids coming :) I'll check them out later when I'm bored at work haha.

FYI, you can embed youtube videos instead of just posting links using the SpecialBBCode button and use the media tag.

Great I will!...erm what does this mysterious button look like?Oh wait there it is. You wouldn't happen to know how to add tags to your quest either would you?..I've searched high and yonder to try to find out..I should be ashamed to call myself a nerd.. :redface-new:

Testing Testing 123..If this works here is another cool vid for assassins. First I'm getting my hollow body down before I can do most of it.

Hiya,

Definitely, it seems the ebb and flow is part of the aerial journey. I haven't met an aerialist who's been doing this for years who hasn't had to take a break for injury at some point. My injury is muscular, but in the shoulder blade area. Sub scapularis area? Plus a bunch of muscles on top of the shoulder blade, that were/are clenched, which creates some nerve squeezing that radiates to my elbow sometimes. Fun!

Thanks for the shoulder stabilization video, I do some of shoulder stabilization stuff. In November I had some recurring pain in my AC joint so I went to a physical therapist. She gave me shoulder stabilization exercises. For what I have now, it's important that I develop and use my lats/back more, because I guess I don't so the stress was going into the scapula and they were being overworked. Long story short: shoulders down and engaged, hollow body!

That video has some good conditioning though, I will take note. That side plank turny thing does look good!

I've never done pole dancing, that is so hardcore. You've got to be SO strong! Although when I said that to a pole dancer, she said, "Well, I think aerial is so hard!"

Rejoice in your natural flexibility! We all have our gifts :-). At least you don't have to spend hours stretching like some of us :-).

Yep that worked. If you press edit on your first post and use the full editor then you can add tags just under the topic title. :)

Apfelstrudi-Redact-Mad Hatter:

Ok ok I read LOR a long time ago..even before I read all the game of thrones books and I've forgotten what happened in those too :rapture: What a fuzzy brain I have.I've been trying to finish Dan Simmon's Olympos and Illium er..duo(what do you call it when it's not a trilogy?) for ages.I've read the first book twice and and have re-read half of the second one.We are having a dvd marathon night in September and someone did suggest bringing LOR. We are going to watch the "Blood and Icecream" trilogy of Shaun of the dead,Hot Fuzz and Worlds End. I've googled how many times someone says ring in LOR and google says between 50 and 70..Not sure if that's all the films though or just one!.I think I will have no legs left hehehehe.Brilliant idea though!

Haha, yeah my brain is the same, which is why I want to re-read LotR again soon, that plus a have a few extra supplementary Tolkien texts now, so even more of Middle Earth lore to learn! :D

Sounds like a pretty good marathon!

Hehe, yeah, jelly legs is definitely the outcome of the game. Indeedly doo! :P

Nice progress so far, and it's awesome to see everyone looking into the aerial stuff so much and getting involved with it.

Keep up the great work! Passed half way already and going strong!