Hi, I'm Caffeineman AKA Tom

This is my face:

tumblr_mr6jjepJ3U1qgn617o1_500.jpg

And this is my introduction thread!

I've been at this for 4 weeks now and I'm looking to step up to level 2!

So at this point I'm sticking closely to the Angry Birds workout (with some changes) to keep the same structure I've been using. 

Currently my workouts go:

Squats
Push Ups
Bent Over Rows
Planks

and I work out Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

What I'll be aiming for from here on out is:

Squats
Situps
Push Ups
Bent Over Rows/Inverted Rows/Pull Ups (as soon as I can get my hands on a chin up bar etc)

Planks

with Monday, Wednesday, Friday as ON days

and 

Cardio - stationary bike etc. with a goal time for the day and measured in sets, increasing in 30 minute increments

for my Tuesday, Thursday OFF days

What I'll be keeping from the Angry Birds plan is the outline - i.e. I'll be following the goal/sets/grade system to measure improvement.

I'm excited to see how this will fare. While I should count tomorrow as my first OFF day, I'm going to make Friday my first ON day with the following Tuesday as my first OFF day.

Awesome!

So today was my first day at Level 2! 

Squats (L5.4, 100+ overhead squats) 30,40,30 (**)

Sit Ups (L1, 30) 10,12,10 (**)

Push Ups (L2, 20) 8,7,5 (**)

Back Exercise (L5, 80 Bent Over Rows) 35,37,10 (**)
Planks (L4, 240s) 65s,55s,40s,45s,35s (0)

So not the most auspicious start but plenty of room to grow and the framework provides a lot of support for improvement, which is awesome.

I take the weekend off to recuperate so my next workout will be Monday, with the same goals, and then my first Off Day where I'll be shooting for 30 minutes of stationary bike.

Results from today's workout! 

Squats (L5.4, 100+ Overhead Squats) 30,30,45 (**)

Sit Ups (L1, 30) 12,13,7 (**)
Push Ups (L2, 20) 10,10 (***)
Back Exercise (L3, 80 Bent Over Rows) 30,30,20 (**)

Planks (L4, 240s) 65s,60s,60s,56s (*)

So there's definitely visible improvement! 

Tomorrow will be my first off day and I'm not sure how I'll fit in my cardio as planned but I'll give it a try. Then Wednesday I'll work out normally... Then this weekend is Ayacon anime convention and I can't wait but obviously travel will disrupt my plan... And my diet! So we'll have to see how that goes. If all goes well I should be back to normal come Wednesday the 21st.

Well, I ballsed up the first Off Day. With the con around the corner I figured it would be tactical to go early this morning and get my hair cut, completely forgetting that I was due to do cardio today, so I was out for twelve+ hours all in and just don't have the energy at this point.

I'm tempted by the Zombies, Run! 5K Trainer app on Android, it's only £1.49 and I like the idea, even if the "running" was stationary bike at least to begin with.

Well, I was under the impression that the convention would completely derail my efforts, but I have to admit that aside from a few beers on Thursday night, I was definitely sober for 95% of the weekend, my energy drink consumption compared to the last time was roughly 10000% lower and the mixture of heat, exercise with weight (cameras, tripods, etc. etc. may seem light but not after 12 hours or so) and lack of time to eat have definitely kept me on my toes. I can also report I lost a second belt notch over the weekend so that's nice to come home with! 

It's definitely becoming noticable that my weight is coming down, while I do still feel quite heavy and from above I don't think I'm slimming, it is coming down! Some of the photos that are coming up online definitely showcase that difference.

While I won't be making a point of acting this way at every event (particularly not eating at all throughout the day) it was nice not to feel that I was actively set back by the event either. Next event is 3 weeks away and then around 6 weeks, then the winter off-season starts up.

Well, I was under the impression that the convention would completely derail my efforts, but I have to admit that aside from a few beers on Thursday night, I was definitely sober for 95% of the weekend, my energy drink consumption compared to the last time was roughly 10000% lower and the mixture of heat, exercise with weight (cameras, tripods, etc. etc. may seem light but not after 12 hours or so) and lack of time to eat have definitely kept me on my toes. I can also report I lost a second belt notch over the weekend so that's nice to come home with! 

It's definitely becoming noticable that my weight is coming down, while I do still feel quite heavy and from above I don't think I'm slimming, it is coming down! Some of the photos that are coming up online definitely showcase that difference.

While I won't be making a point of acting this way at every event (particularly not eating at all throughout the day) it was nice not to feel that I was actively set back by the event either. Next event is 3 weeks away and then around 6 weeks, then the winter off-season starts up.

Sounds like you did well, though yeah, maybe eating nothing all day isn't the best but shall we call that Intermittant Fasting?

Congrats on the waist reduction. I get what you mean with the not slimming. Keep up the hard work!

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

I have to admit, last night I was sure I'd be back on the program in no time... But I suppose a 22-hour empty stomach is not the best base for hitting those goals. Again, hit two sets but had to stop after. I'm actually very happy that I did get up and do it after this break, though. Working hard on friday when I have a bit more freedom and have recovered a bit.

Well, I managed to finish a workout for once! I feel a lot better for it.

Wasn't really feeling the feedback from the overhead squats anymore, so I've started using my 10lb kettlebell just to add an extra element, I am definitely feeling it more.

Squats (L5.4, 100+ Overhead Squats) 25,27,25,24 (*)
Sit Ups (L1, 30) 22,15 (***)
Push Ups (L3, 50) 10,10,10,10,10 (0)

Back Exercise (L5, 80 Bent Over Rows) 35,40,10 (**)
Planks (L4, 240s) 80s,75s,60s,30s (*)

Okay, unexpected side effect; before, my stomach bulged out and mostly felt quite firm. Currently my stomach has shrunk but feels softer and more pliable? This could be psychological because I never used to look at it/feel it so much before.

Have to admit I'm getting pretty frustrated. On my current sheet of the past 6 workouts, including today, I've only logged three full workouts. I don't know what it is, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm just not eating enough before I work out? But at the same time I don't want to eat before I work out, at least not more than a piece of fruit or similar.

But the results definitely indicate that I work out more/better when I eat first and work out after.

Also I'm toying with dropping some of the exercises for a week or so to concentrate on others. I'm feeling particularly weak when it comes to pushups and planks, so maybe a week of push ups and planks every day with lighter rounds of other exercises? 

Either way I'm happy that I'm doing anything at all, but a week's worth of nothing but one or two sets isn't doing enough.

Okay I have to admit I don't see much of a difference looking down, but I can feel a bit difference in my belly, so that's awesome.

Did 45 mins. on the stationary bike before leaving for work and felt a lot better for it.

Also have to remember to get in contact with a local Muay Thai gym about a trial session before putting any money down, but I wouldn't mind having the structure there. Plus I think that practical muscle building would be a better fit for me, moving forwards.

Do you have before and after photos (for yourself?)

Looking down, things change so slowly you wont ever notice. The photos show things better. Take some now for this point 6 weeks from now!

Good luck with the MT!

I can definitely feel excuses dragging me down, the pace of my job has picked up and I'm left with very little free time, along with the fact that I don't always have space to exercise, has got me putting less in.

In good news:

• I've ordered my chin-up bar, and while I may not be at a stage (and it might not be safe) to attempt pull-ups or chin-ups as yet, I think that I should be able to do inverted rows, decline pushups, dips, and even holding my legs/knees for sit-ups and crunches.
  • While I haven't put in a full workout yet this week, I've kept myself active with "maintenance exercise" which won't really help much in the long run, but just a matter of... No matter how much time I have, I can do 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 squats, and a plank... Or, I can do 10 pushups (holding the last one at strain) and 20 boxing-style step-ins. That type of thing. Like I say, I don't think it helps in the long run, but in the short term it's better because it keeps me in the habit of exercising and moving my body.

At this point that's all there is to report, sadly! I'm aiming to be up and about sharpish tomorrow to get a workout done, and I'll be able to get some exercise done on friday... And then I'll be out at an event all day saturday so that's good.

Sadly? While I haven't?

These words don't apply. Sometimes you prioritise other things in life. The fact you're still moving and maintaining the habit of doing something, anything is the key point here. You know the excuses are that, which is a good start.

2 months ago would 10 pushups, situps, squats and a plank have been some throw away thing or a workout in it's self. You've come a long way and you're still going.

Hold that head high!

Sadly? While I haven't?

These words don't apply. Sometimes you prioritise other things in life. The fact you're still moving and maintaining the habit of doing something, anything is the key point here. You know the excuses are that, which is a good start.

2 months ago would 10 pushups, situps, squats and a plank have been some throw away thing or a workout in it's self. You've come a long way and you're still going.

Hold that head high!

This. You're building positive habits and breaking down negative ones. Progress is still progress, even if it is just one small step forward. It is one step closer to your goals, to being the you you want to be.

Don't think about where you "should" be. You should be making the effort to be better today than you were yesterday. That is the only should that should matter. Not where you think you ought to be. Are you healthier, are you stronger, are you better than you were? Yes. You are on the right track.

Okay, so I got my pull-up bar and I have to admit it's probably the most versatile piece of kit I can think of! Managed roughly two chin ups but did a quick circuit with push ups, inverted rows, plank, and some stuff I used to do when I was wrestling, but with the bar rather than a partner. Been feeling a little sluggish the past few days and a quick run round definitely helped.

Okay, I still haven't done a full workout... But on the other hand, I'm exercising every day, even if it's something little like running up stairs rather than walking. I guess it's making a concerted effort in my everyday routines?

When I have a little time I tend to bust out some pushups or inverted rows... But I feel good because I'm not at a complacent point - i.e. I did ten pushups today, I don't need to exercise any more! - and instead my feeling is "I did something today, but I didn't do a full workout" and I'm happy with that feeling because it stops me from being complacent.