Rachel Ray show talks about extreme diets. Rant you were forewarned

Doodle

Alright so I turned on my tv this morning and rachel ray show was on.. perfect timing because she was about to go over a few extreme diets. She was gonna talk to a real doctor about the three diets so you know what your getting into. Then a handsome man comes on who.. guess who it is.. A guy whom I've seen before.. Dr. Ian smith. A man who if you have watched a few talk shows might of very likely seen on the Talk show circuit. Before they go into the diets.. They start of talking about his new book! Called Shred. I'm was like.. okay what kind of authority can he really be if hes promoting his own book in the same segment as he's analyzing these extreme diets...

Then the first diet they talked about the fruitarian diet. they mostly eat things grown from the ground (so it sounded like), with the exception of 75% by weight of their diet is fruit. Rachel and him immediately tear it down and say well fruits have a lot of sugar and that can eventually turns into fat. Yes.. I agreed with them. The Nerd Rebellion helped educate this. 

Then- The next diet they go into... Guess what it was.. PALEO. I was like huh okay lets see what they say. then he's like well you cant eat grains and legumes. and rachel Ray (an italian who if you don't know often cooks with pasta and grain in many many of her recipes) went big eyed.. You cant have legumes or grains!? but your missing so many good nutrients. Then they start talking about how its a mostly meat diet and how that bogs down your digestive system. They were talking about it as if it was the low Carb Diet... that all you eat are Damn meat and you have to avoid diary. It was disheartening and made me mad! It was like. Thousands of people watch this show because she has some very tasty sounding recipes and then they can't even give these lifestyles a fair chance. I think of how many people would just go along with it and just buy yet another new diet book. They didnt have one nice thing to say about paleo. He went right into promoting his go to smoothie thats low calorie and high in sugar ( honey, greek yogurt, milk, and strawberries.) wait didnt you just say in the long run that sugar = fat/ weight gain?

Sure I am bias towards paleo. and I've heard so many LONG TERM Success Stories here on this site. I talk to you guys. You guys are Real people. I've read good information about paleo. I've investigated it myself. I decided to try and educate myself about it, now I dont do it, yet. But so far the information I've learned. I've liked, and it just makes sense to me. To be honest it just caught me off guard how much negative connotations I felt during it. I for some reason thought it was gonna get something better then what i thought it was.  Anyways thanks for listening.  Had to vent to someone.

Decide for yourself and watch the clip for yourself here

DoodleDwarven Adventurer Level 2= STR-3 | DEX-2 | STA-2 | CON-3 | WIS-2 (+1) | CHA-2 (+1)

When Life pushes Me.. I Push Back Harder

Current Challenge: Doodle's finds her spirit again. (Level 2) | First challenge: Level 1: finding the canvas

Leader of The Mighty Adventuring CompanionsMyFitnessPal | fitocracy

all i hear is someone throwing around ignorant statements trying to push their own agenda and product.  that smoothie is a joke.  there're no vegetables (kale, spinach, etc.), and it's mostly sugar.  you're going to be hungry pretty quick after drinking it.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Here's the better link: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/extreme-diets-explained/

Yeah, all he's espousing is Yet Another Caloric Restriction Diet. Which imo, is harder / more "extreme" than "eat as much as you want, of lots of things".

Ok, now he's pissing me off. "take away your calcium" -- false. "low fiber, bad for heart disease" -- check your research mr. doctor...

The most frustrating thing to me is everyone's "X is bad for you!" they're falling for the Authority Fallacy, and then wonder why they're still getting a paunch, even though they eat all their low-fat multigrain bread.

-- Ah, this is an older show. All the comments on that page are from 5 months ago.

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

Here's the better link: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/extreme-diets-explained/

Yeah, all he's espousing is Yet Another Caloric Restriction Diet. Which imo, is harder / more "extreme" than "eat as much as you want, of lots of things".

Ok, now he's pissing me off. "take away your calcium" -- false. "low fiber, bad for heart disease" -- check your research mr. doctor...

The most frustrating thing to me is everyone's "X is bad for you!" they're falling for the Authority Fallacy, and then wonder why they're still getting a paunch, even though they eat all their low-fat multigrain bread.

-- Ah, this is an older show. All the comments on that page are from 5 months ago.

All diets work via calorie restriction, period.

You are equating healthy eating with degree of fatness or lack thereof, a link that should be broken for paleos since paleo gurus claims have to do with mystical "systemmic" inflammation, not fatness.  Eating healthy does not cause a lack of fatness, though a lack of fatness does cause healthiness.  Once can eat whatever they want with no "quality" restrictions and regulate fatness to any desired level.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Rachel Ray who appears in Dunkin Donuts commercials.

I boycott DD because they sell donuts and serve their excellent coffee in styrofoam.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

All diets work via calorie restriction, period.

You are equating healthy eating with degree of fatness or lack thereof, a link that should be broken for paleos since paleo gurus claims have to do with mystical "systemmic" inflammation, not fatness.  Eating healthy does not cause a lack of fatness, though a lack of fatness does cause healthiness.  Once can eat whatever they want with no "quality" restrictions and regulate fatness to any desired level.

Okay, Waldo.   You can have your 1600 calories of twinkies for weight loss. 

I'll be over here with my 1600 calories of healthy meats, veggies, fats and a notable lack of starches.   :)

While it can be argued that quality of calories is unimportant for weight loss, and successfully too, studies on weight loss have shown time and time again that WHAT is lost differs based on the quality of your diet.  Ten pounds of weight loss can be 2 pounds of fat and 8 of muscle, or the ratio can reverse, based on WHAT your eating and moving profile look like during said diet.  I don't think anyone can argue that quality of calories is important for fat loss, muscle maintenance and strength gains, and over-all health.  The 1600 calorie twinkie diet is going to lead to serious micro-nutrient deficiencies as well as a deficiency in muscle building protein.  And then after the muscle wasting from the protein deficiency in the twinkie diet, most twinkie dieters are going to gain weight even more easily than before.   I will never believe that there is no correlation between a healthy, well balanced diet that provides the macro and micro nutrients needed for life, and a decrease in unnecessary fat.   Mostly because I've seen how hungry people get on the "twinkie" diets, even when eating their fully allotted 2000 calories worth, vs something more substantial and nutritious such as primal/paleo eating.

Personally?  I think the main stream diet gurus get a little caught up in the "weight = fat" problem.  Eg. "Who cares if you're wasting away and developing a zinc deficiency on a steady diet of meal-replacement shakes? Your arbitrary measure of gravity's effect on your body mass has decreased, so it HAS to be a net win!"

TL;DR:  I believe quality of calories DOES matter for weight loss if you have an interest in losing (only) fat, preserving muscle, or avoiding health issues due to micro-nutrient deficiency.  (or avoiding a severe case of the raving dieter munchies).  Just because you CAN lose weight eating any old garbage doesn't mean you SHOULD.  Nor does it mean we should be espousing that kinda stuff to the general public.

(Post Script:  Which magical Paleo gurus claim that mystical systemic inflammation is the only key to weight loss?  It isn't Mark Sission, nor is it Robb Wolf, who actually espouses a caloric restriction diet for some people ala the Zone,  And Gary Taubes just thinks the whole calories in vs calories out thing is missing the point, and that the factors governing appetite regulation and hormonal signaling are just more important.)

Rebel: Lifting bars and bells, studying Uechi-ryu, training handstands.

Currently still trying to finish a challenge... three years later!

This game looks a lot like a bizarre hybrid of Harvest Moon and Minecraft.

Okay, Waldo.   You can have your 1600 calories of twinkies for weight loss. 

I'll be over here with my 1600 calories of healthy meats, veggies, fats and a notable lack of starches.   :)

Going to battle with the man made of straw. Do you actually find a Twinkie diet desirable? Most would be repulsed by them in rather short order.

Good luck making any sort of useful long term gains on high intensity exercise on a low carb diet.

While it can be argued that quality of calories is unimportant for weight loss, and successfully too, studies on weight loss have shown time and time again that WHAT is lost differs based on the quality of your diet.  Ten pounds of weight loss can be 2 pounds of fat and 8 of muscle, or the ratio can reverse, based on WHAT your eating and moving profile look like during said diet.  I don't think anyone can argue that quality of calories is important for fat loss, muscle maintenance and strength gains, and over-all health.  The 1600 calorie twinkie diet is going to lead to serious micro-nutrient deficiencies as well as a deficiency in muscle building protein.  And then after the muscle wasting from the protein deficiency in the twinkie diet, most twinkie dieters are going to gain weight even more easily than before.   I will never believe that there is no correlation between a healthy, well balanced diet that provides the macro and micro nutrients needed for life, and a decrease in unnecessary fat.   Mostly because I've seen how hungry people get on the "twinkie" diets, even when eating their fully allotted 2000 calories worth, vs something more substantial and nutritious such as primal/paleo eating.

Protein is the only component of food shown to have a significant impact on ratio of LBM:fat loss. When gaining, which is far less studied, there is very strong anecdotal evidence that carbs, not protein or fat, lead to optimum gain ratios. Its basic human physiology that carbs are a key component to fuel strength.

No study has ever shown a difference in the quality or quantity of weight loss and improvement (or lack thereof) of health markers when both calories and protein is controlled for. The idea that the quality of calories matters for fat loss, beyond protein intake, is complete and utter BS.

Personally?  I think the main stream diet gurus get a little caught up in the "weight = fat" problem.  Eg. "Who cares if you're wasting away and developing a zinc deficiency on a steady diet of meal-replacement shakes? Your arbitrary measure of gravity's effect on your body mass has decreased, so it HAS to be a net win!"

Strong straw man war is strong. So to recap our options include:

a) Subsisting entirely on twinkies.

B) Subsisting entirely on meal replacement shakes

c) Eating an extreme diet that ditches the dairy and grain food groups in entirety, selective portions of the fruit and vegetables group, and any food where the application of modern mechanical, chemical, or bio technology has been utilized.

TL;DR:  I believe quality of calories DOES matter for weight loss if you have an interest in losing (only) fat, preserving muscle, or avoiding health issues due to micro-nutrient deficiency.  (or avoiding a severe case of the raving dieter munchies).  Just because you CAN lose weight eating any old garbage doesn't mean you SHOULD.  Nor does it mean we should be espousing that kinda stuff to the general public.

Why are some people so caught up cowering in mortal fear of developing a micro-nutrient deficiency? It is pathetically easy to not develop a micronutrient deficieny. Eat lots of different stuff from ALL food groups instead of the same ol same ol every day. Problem solved. If this seem elusive and impossible to do, multivitamins are the cheapest and most readily availble dietary suppliment.

Espousing to the general public? Sorry but flexible dieting, controlling the quantity of your intake has always been around and has always worked. If anything we should stop espousing nonsense "diets" where you eat this, that, and this, and not that, those, and them, based on some arbitrary "quality" rules. All that creates is an unhealthy psychologically broken good vs. bad relationship with food.

(Post Script:  Which magical Paleo gurus claim that mystical systemic inflammation is the only key to weight loss?  It isn't Mark Sission, nor is it Robb Wolf, who actually espouses a caloric restriction diet for some people ala the Zone,  And Gary Taubes just thinks the whole calories in vs calories out thing is missing the point, and that the factors governing appetite regulation and hormonal signaling are just more important.)

The starting point would be realizing that paleo is not touted as a weight loss diet, it is a healthyness diet said to reduce systemmic inflammation. Some degree of effort free weight loss is a positive side effect for some followers, though many/most still require quantity control for fatness control.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Philisophically, I see very little difference between the twinkie and a milk, yogurt, honey and strawberry smoothie, myself.

But thank you, Waldo.  I did get the clarification I was looking for.  :)

Rebel: Lifting bars and bells, studying Uechi-ryu, training handstands.

Currently still trying to finish a challenge... three years later!

This game looks a lot like a bizarre hybrid of Harvest Moon and Minecraft.

Fuck Rachel Ray... I've said it since her first episode on Food Network and I still say it now. Fuck Rachel Ray, fuck her.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Having met Rachel Ray, she's a raaaaging cu... bitch. She did a book signing at the B&N I worked at in College and is so incredibly demanding and bossy I walked out. Just because your famous doesn't mean you don't deserve a slap across the mouth.

As a side note: the fruitarian diet is hilarious, sorry. Especially after they've started linking it to pancreatic failure, and some doctors are starting to wonder if following a strict fruitarian diet contributed to what killed Steve Jobs... Juuuust sayin'.

Eat the food you want. Telling other people what they eat is wrong is just being a dick. I eat Paleo because I feel healthier doing it and it helps me stay away from junk and fried foods. My girlfriend eats mostly pescetarian because eating a lot of red meat makes her feel sick, and she just straight up doesn't like poultry. We do what we do to feel healthy, and no one should judge anyone else for what they do. That being said, you can keep your kale and carrot smoothie and your yogurt and strawberry, I'll make one with fruit and veggies in it... nom.

As far as arguments regarding the scientific soundness of eating paleo... honestly there are way too many side factors to consider to get a firm answer. I eat paleo and carbs are still nearly 25-30% of my diet because of all the vegetables I eat. Other people not so much. Personal preference.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

Eat the food you want. Telling other people what they eat is wrong is just being a dick.

As one of those girls that has a weakness for bake sale cupcakes (It has frosting!! It's for a good cause!!) I highly support that statement. That also made me giggle quite a bit. Thanks for the awesome link ^_^.

Talk shows are iffy about their coverage of a lot of things, remember when Oprah was blatantly trolled by 4chan members? Add in a product endorsement and you have a lot of conflict of interest and reasoning for lax research. The only way they could have found a better person to misrepresent paleo is if they used Giada De Laurentiis.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

I take people like Rachel Ray and that doctor with a grain of salt. Their goal is to boost ratings and sell a product. Honestly, I'm not into Paleo. I don't like drastic changes.  I like things in moderation but I also know there are things I just cannot have at home because I will eat em' up like bread, PB and sweets. If paleo is your thing, that's fine but I like greek yogurt and I like fruit. Like I said, just dismiss these two morons.

Diet gurus love to promote diets that temporarily work by screwing up your metabolism so that you keep coming back for the new and improved solution.  A big key is to blame the consumer that they're weak or did something wrong.

Now, let's get down to the business of sucking every loose penny out of Mr. and Mrs. Average-Knucklehead. What's our big-ticket item? Upgrades, people. Upgrades. That's how we make the dough. Now, if we're telling robots that no matter what they're made of, they're "fine" how can we expect them to feel crummy enough about themselves to buy our upgrades and make themselves look better? Therefore, I've come up with a new slogan. "Why be you when you can be new?"

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I used to work as a line cook for 3 years in a nice upscale pub. About a year ago Dr. Oz came out with a 'secrets of restaurants or things to avoid at restaurants list'. He included a tip that said: never eat the specials at restaurants because they are usually made from old product. That couldn't be farther from the truth of how any decent restaurant is run. A good chef will order something special and make something new for customers. But since that I kind of take any advice from these talk show hosts (experts of nothing) with a grain of salt.

Also, being a part of the food industry and around actual chefs I have certain opinions about Rachel Ray.

I haven't gone full Paleo yet, but I have dabbled in more veggie and meats, no grains, and lost a lot of weight by changing my diet to that and ONLY my diet. No change in excercise, just changing my diet. Then there was also the effect of feeling healthy and having lots of energy during the day.

But that is me. I am not a famous faux-chef.

• Like 1

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

I used to work as a line cook for 3 years in a nice upscale pub. About a year ago Dr. Oz came out with a 'secrets of restaurants or things to avoid at restaurants list'. He included a tip that said: never eat the specials at restaurants because they are usually made from old product. That couldn't be farther from the truth of how any decent restaurant is run. A good chef will order something special and make something new for customers. But since that I kind of take any advice from these talk show hosts (experts of nothing) with a grain of salt.

Also, being a part of the food industry and around actual chefs I have certain opinions about Rachel Ray.

I haven't gone full Paleo yet, but I have dabbled in more veggie and meats, no grains, and lost a lot of weight by changing my diet to that and ONLY my diet. No change in excercise, just changing my diet. Then there was also the effect of feeling healthy and having lots of energy during the day.

But that is me. I am not a famous faux-chef.

Ha! Yeah... you don't need to be a chef, just be cute or have one of those attractive personalities to be a tv chef. The obvious part here, notice that none of them are the chef at their own restaurants? That says something to me. 99% of these chefs on tv are merely Ronald McDonald's, clowns paid to lure people in.

One chef I have always watched and still love is Ming Tsai.

Nerd Fitness Secret Santa is going on! Sign up ends on the 28th! http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/9477898/91303a/

Cat Cora doesn't have her own official cooking show like Rachel Ray does but she does own her own restaurants and is co-host of a couple shows featured on the Food Network.

Not saying that because I have the biggest girl crush on her but.....

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you