I need help breaking coffee!

Raev

This week I decided to stop getting my 2 large Tim Hortons triple/triple coffees, in an effort to reduce the fat from their creamer and the sugar intake. 

To keep from going into complete caffeine withdraw, I've switched off to straight green tea.

The downside to this is, I'm suffering.  It's hurting my energy, I'm irritable and feel mentally and physically sluggish.

Does anyone have experience breaking coffee or have any advice that can help with this transition?

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Honestly - cut the cream and sugar, not the coffee.

I could go into a huge "it's not real coffee at that point," but that's irrelevant. I used to drink my coffee like that but once I started buying higher-quality beans I started to enjoy it black, or maybe with a single spoonful of sugar, because the taste of the brew itself improved.

That being said, cut the size - get two mediums. Or get a large and a small, rather than 2 larges. Work on reducing the quantity if you can't change the quality. Switching partially to tea, instead of fully, might help as well.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

Mmmmm black coffee

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I, for one, still need to break away from the coffee with cream in it. It doesn't seem to hurt my weight lately so I haven't.

But what the others said, you could go black or have reduced sugar or cream in it.

Although honey isn't sugar-free, it does have health benefits. Yes, you can use honey for your coffee. Try a combination of milk and honey maybe? Don't take my word for it, my advice could be worse... But it's a start from breaking away from the unhealthy sugar and cream...

You could try adding some things to spice up your coffee like adding cinnamon. Just make sure it's real cinnamon, not made from cassia trees. Unfortunately, that's what most cinnamon is made from in the US. The spice is actually called Chinese cinnamon or just cassia spice (they're all labeled as "cinnamon" in the US) and can damage your liver if consumed in high quantity, that's all it does. Real cinnamon, or ceylon cinnamon, has actual health benefits such as lowering blood sugar level, cholesterol level, improved memory, and 3 other benefits. (Okay! I'm ranting on things not related to this topic, sorry!)

Anyway, if you can't have your coffee dark, have milk instead of cream maybe, and maybe use a teeny bit of honey instead of sugar.

Edit: While I haven't got my hands on real cinnamon, I found cassia spice with milk in my coffee, when I had no cream, reduced my scoops of sugar. Real cinnamon is supposedly sweet, not spicy like cassia, so I imagine it'd help reduce it even more.

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

You could try adding some things to spice up your coffee like adding cinnamon. Just make sure it's real cinnamon, not made from cassia trees. Unfortunately, that's what most cinnamon is made from in the US. The spice is actually called Chinese cinnamon or just cassia spice (they're all labeled as "cinnamon" in the US) and can damage your liver if consumed in high quantity, that's all it does. Real cinnamon, or ceylon cinnamon, has actual health benefits such as lowering blood sugar level, cholesterol level, improved memory, and 3 other benefits. (Okay! I'm ranting on things not related to this topic, sorry!)

I actually didn't know that... now I'm going to be all paranoid because I use a lot of cinnamon, great LOL. Thanks for the info though... time to research.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

I actually didn't know that... now I'm going to be all paranoid because I use a lot of cinnamon, great LOL. Thanks for the info though... time to research.

Well, cassia is used in traditional Chinese medicine, so it can't be that bad. But then again, that's like saying mercury in traditional medicine can't be all that bad.

True cinnamon hasn't been sold in stores in the US for a 100 years because it's expensive. Cassia trees are more abundant, so the spice is cheaper. That's why it became popular here.

You won't find true cinnamon in grocery stores, or else rarely. You might find it in some exotic stores, as long as it's not European. Europe also has the problem with not knowing they're using cassia spice.

Luckily, there's the Internet, so you can do research, like you said. There are guides to identify true cinnamon from cassia. You can also buy it online if you can't find it in stores, makes it less of a hassle.

Apparently, cassia is more bold and spicy than cinnamon, so more Americans are accustom to the taste and even prefer it. I just read this. It might take time for you to get use to it.

Well, cassia is used in traditional Chinese medicine, so it can't be that bad. But then again, that's like saying mercury in traditional medicine can't be all that bad.

True cinnamon hasn't been sold in stores in the US for a 100 years because it's expensive. Cassia trees are more abundant, so the spice is cheaper. That's why it became popular here.

You won't find true cinnamon in grocery stores, or else rarely. You might find it in some exotic stores, as long as it's not European. Europe also has the problem with not knowing they're using cassia spice.

Luckily, there's the Internet, so you can do research, like you said. There are guides to identify true cinnamon from cassia. You can also buy it online if you can't find it in stores, makes it less of a hassle.

I actually get a lot of my spices from an Amish store, of all places, so it will be interesting to try and figure out.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

I could go into a huge "it's not real coffee at that point," but that's irrelevant. I used to drink my coffee like that but once I started buying higher-quality beans I started to enjoy it black, or maybe with a single spoonful of sugar, because the taste of the brew itself improved.

That being said, cut the size - get two mediums. Or get a large and a small, rather than 2 larges. Work on reducing the quantity if you can't change the quality. Switching partially to tea, instead of fully, might help as well.

<<<< this!

You shouldn't go cold turkey. That's setting yourself up to fail. Just start cutting down. Do changes a week at a time so you hardly notice the difference.

Or you could always try espresso shots, I live in italy so it's difficult to get any kind of long coffee and I prefer it.

Good luck!!

rebel in training | eating clean | training mean | getting lean

"The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem" Captain Jack Sparrow

I may have to switch to a gradual decrease, because this cold turkey bit isn't for me!

Oddly enough, when I quit drinking after years of drinking hard I was able to do that cold turkey.  I guess my body likes coffee more. :D

I can't switch from their chemical creamer over to milk, I'm allergic to dairy.  :neglected:

level 4 Gnoll warrior

I may have to switch to a gradual decrease, because this cold turkey bit isn't for me!

Oddly enough, when I quit drinking after years of drinking hard I was able to do that cold turkey. I guess my body likes coffee more. :D

I can't switch from their chemical creamer over to milk, I'm allergic to dairy. :neglected:

!!!

In that case, how about coconut milk or maybe just water to make the coffee not so strong? I've tried coconut milk, it's not so bad... It'll give a coconut flavor though... I suppose you could try cutting out the sugar and just stick with the cream. Maybe do a mix of cream and water?

@ravnos You can ask the Amish folk what tree their cinnamon comes from. You don't want them to say cassia or any from Vietnam, China, or Indonesia, you want Sri Lanka cinnamon trees. If they don't know, you can identify just by taste testing and looking at the ground spice or sticks. The sticks are usually more easier to identify visually.

Oddly enough, when I quit drinking after years of drinking hard I was able to do that cold turkey.  I guess my body likes coffee more. :D

I can't switch from their chemical creamer over to milk, I'm allergic to dairy.  :neglected:

Can you drink it without the creamer entirely? Some people prefer not to, but in all reality adding milk/cream/creamer to coffee actually destroys a lot of the healthy properties coffee has, which makes drinking it black healthier for a whole 'nother set of reasons. Just something to consider.

Sugar doesn't have the same affect, but obviously sugar comes with its own set of problems.

@Gwenhwyfar

Thanks for the info!

Level 5 Viking Berserker

I'm going to parrot everyone else here and say that your best bet is to cut the cream and sugar. I did this about 5 years ago, and it was hard - at first - until I realized that the coffee I was drinking at the time was pretty awful stuff compared to a properly brewed cup. Once I started brewing my own from good beans, I realized that I didn't need the cream or sugar because the coffee had enough flavor on its own, and that made it much easier to kick the additions from my morning dose.

Ever tried vanilla whey in the coffee?

Not exactly cream and sugar.....but just maybe worth a try.......

The other is AtLarge Nutrition's Coffee Nitrean.

I do a couple scoops of it with 12 oz. water and toss in some ice.....just like an iced coffee.....its really good.

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I worked at a coffee shop, I drank up to 8 XL teas with milk/sugar a day.

lol.

I haven't worked there for a while now, and since then I had dropped to 2 XL teas with milk/sugar a day. Some weeks I'd switch to coffee with even more cream/sugar, since I don't like coffee as much.

I switched to paleo in Jan 2013 and quit milk/sugar/caffeine/grain/legumes/200g+carbs cold turkey.

I literally felt like I was going to die for about 3 days.

And then on the fourth day I bounced up feeling better than I had ever felt in my entire effing life!

Later on I read about how you should almost never switch to paleo cold turkey, but that some people have a better time adjusting than others.

I guess I was lucky. The reason I went flat out paleo with no tiers of adjustment was because every time I had tried any other diet, whenever I did that, I'd slip back down a tier thinking it was "ok" and then the diet wouldn't work out for me at all.

Since then I've re-introduced small amounts of caffeine. I like a green tea in the morning, but don't always get one if I don't feel like it.

So I guess the point of my story is that if you cut back cold turkey, it may work quite well, just expect to feel immensely grumpy and wanting to rip your co-workers/school friends throats out for the first 3-5 days.

But easing out of mass amounts of caffeine is probably safer and just as effective, assuming you stick to dropping the amount you have until you're comfortable.

Caffeine on the whole I wouldn't say is terrible for you however - being reliant on it for function throughout a day isn't so great.

Also, make sure you get 8-9 hours of sleep every night! That really helps with the whole functionality/grumpy problem. You may find it easier to quit if you're getting a good night's rest.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

This is true. A local health food store sells Ceylon cinnamon bulk here, so that's what I've been getting. It's amazing.

Also, what's wrong with cream? Heavy cream from pastured cows is good for you, it's healthy fat! Make your coffee at home, ditch the sugar and keep the yummy heavy cream!

I quit drinking coffee for my whole30 because I couldn't stand it without at least cream, and coconut milk just didn't cut it. By the end of the first day, I had the worst migraine I have ever had in my life, complete with nausea. It woke me up at 3am because my head was throbbbing so bad. I finally took some ibuprofen and got back to sleep about an hour later once it kicked in. It took another day to go away complete.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

This is true. A local health food store sells Ceylon cinnamon bulk here, so that's what I've been getting. It's amazing.

Also, what's wrong with cream? Heavy cream from pastured cows is good for you, it's healthy fat! Make your coffee at home, ditch the sugar and keep the yummy heavy cream!

I quit drinking coffee for my whole30 because I couldn't stand it without at least cream, and coconut milk just didn't cut it. By the end of the first day, I had the worst migraine I have ever had in my life, complete with nausea. It woke me up at 3am because my head was throbbbing so bad. I finally took some ibuprofen and got back to sleep about an hour later once it kicked in. It took another day to go away complete.

I have to ask if the migraine might have something to do with the coconut milk?

In my experience, coconut milk dehydrates me and makes me have migraines, I had to drink a lot of water or it'd cause me problems. It ended up being better to cut the whole thing out. Maybe the one I had was too chemical based, I dunno. My mom always bought it.

I never had problems with coconut water, unlike coconut milk, so I drink a lot of that.

Edit: Also, some creams are just chemical based, no real milk. It might have to also do with a lot of sugar in the real cow-based cream that doesn't make it all good.

I have to ask if the migraine might have something to do with the coconut milk?

In my experience, coconut milk dehydrates me and makes me have migraines, I had to drink a lot of water or it'd cause me problems. It ended up being better to cut the whole thing out. Maybe the one I had was too chemical based, I dunno. My mom always bought it.

I never had problems with coconut water, unlike coconut milk, so I drink a lot of that.

Edit: Also, some creams are just chemical based, no real milk. It might have to also do with a lot of sugar in the real cow-based cream that doesn't make it all good.

lol don't try almond milk. It doesn't do well in warm drinks. Kinda gets sticky almost haha

Oh, my Glob, you guys! Drama bomb! - LSP

I'll keep the avoidance of almond milk in mind.

The reason I'm trying to eventually break coffee (gave up on cold turkey) instead of switching to black and calling it a day - is because I hate black coffee lol.

Alas, darned caffeine addictions.

level 4 Gnoll warrior

I hear ya, Brother. I'm struggling with the same addiction.

I keep trying to go off it, but I always find my way back on it. My current run is two weeks. My best was a cold turkey cut off that lasted 7 months. I felt best when I cut back in halves. Before, I was a 2-3 can of Red Bull or 4-5 cups of coffee a day. I cut out half of what I was drinking and after three weeks, cut out half again. Two weeks ago, I went to 0. Feeling good so far, but I am not sure how long it will last.

I hope the best for improvement on your addiction.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I did that! I went from a double/double to a 2 cream/half sugar. And from a large to a small/x-small. I just won't give up my Timmys!

I tried milk instead of cream but it's not the same. Cream is not evil after all :-)

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

I'll keep the avoidance of almond milk in mind.

The reason I'm trying to eventually break coffee (gave up on cold turkey) instead of switching to black and calling it a day - is because I hate black coffee lol.

Alas, darned caffeine addictions.

I had a sugar/cream coffee issue and couldn't cut coffee out the cold turkey way!  I gradually decreased the amount of sugar & fat in my daily coffee over a few months of time and eventually switched to hot tea, particularly pu-erh tea, which has about 60-70 milligrams of caffeine per 8 oz cup (I like the Numi ones a lot).  A regular 8oz brewed black coffee has about 75-85 milligrams.

I hate black coffee, too!  I have to water it down or iced it before I can drink it now! LOL!  I blame the years I worked at Starbucks!  All those "sips" of black coffee we had to taste-test daily...  >.< 

Good luck!  Rawr!

537442_10151643075989762_450685082_n.jpg

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |