Rachel's Battle Log: The quest begins (or rather continues, took me a while to figure out the battle log thing)

Starting stats: 30yo female, 5'6, 142lbs

Started a 5x5 program a few weeks ago put together by my wonderful powerlifting husband, an avid fan of Mark Rippetoe

Max weights so far (lbs):

Squat - 100

Bench - 85

Row - 45

OHP - 50

Deadlift - 110

Main Quest

I have revised my main quest now that I've done some research on some competitive level female powerlifters in my weight class. At the end of 4 weeks (since I'm already 2 weeks into my current challenge) I would like to increase my lifts to:

Squat - 140

Bench - 100

Row - 60

OHP - 70

Deadlift - 140

This will get my squat and deadlift to just about BW. 

Long term goals are to get to the minimum competitive weights that I've seen so far: 

Squat - 190

Bench - 110

Deadlift - 230

Side Quests

Body recomp through clean eating so I can feel comfortable in my clothes again. (And get those old jeans back on!)

Motivation

The bicep curling photo is my husband and my inspiration/motivator in this journey (hope he doesn't mind).  Will add a pic of myself as soon as I get a chance.

post-14071-0-94611300-1376066905_thumb.j

post-14071-0-94611300-1376066905_thumb.j

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Weekend update: Wins v Losses

I should be asleep right now. However, this weekend I've been transitioning from nights back to days, so tonight was my first lift in 3 days. Hate that, but poor sleep is inevitable during the flip flop. I did manage to get to sleep last night around 8pm but then woke up wide awake at midnight, so I've been up since then.

Win: In my mini quests to get out and explore Sicily more, I did finally make it to the beach yesterday for the first time this summer and it was a gorgeous day at Cassibile, just south of Syracusa - definitely worth the one hour drive to get away from the city. New side quest: take my golden retriever there this fall when it's less crowded so he can swim.

Loss: We were supposed to drive with a small group down to Marzamemi last night for a boat tour/snorkeling and dinner, but just as we left base the boat captain called to say his boat was dead in the water and he was waiting for the coast guard to come tow him in. So that adventure will have to wait for another day. I'm just glad he called right as we were leaving rather than 2 hours down the road when we got there.

Loss: Diet of course has also been weird since I've been sleeping in 4 hour increments. I think I managed to do ok on Friday, but Saturday night we went out to dinner with friends in Borgo at an agriturismo and had the traditional 4-hour Sicilian dinner. I kid you not there were like 15 different dishes if not more. I tried to keep my portions small, but I'm sure I went way over on calories that night. Fortunately, we don't do meals like that very often.

Ok, back to the important stuff: Lift Numbers: (Bench/Squat/Row in lbs)

[Last lifts: (5x5)]

Squat - 55, 65, 80, 95, 100

Bench - 55, 65, 75, 80, 85 (tough)

Row - 25, 30, 35, 40, 45

Decline Sits - 7 sets of 12 + last set of 20 for 104 total

Military Pushups - 22

Today's Lifts: (5x5 unless otherwise indicated)

Squat - 60, 70, 80, 95, 105, 115x2

Bench - 45 (warmup), 55, 65, 75, 85, 90x3 (rest)+1 then failed on the 5th

Row - 30, 35, 40, 45, 50

Decline Sits - 10 sets of 12 in between lifts for 120 total

Military Pushups - 10, 12, 10 for 32 total

Really wanted to go up more on my squat but I just didn't have the juice. However it's still an improvement over last time, so that's a small gain.
Also disappointed with my bench at 90. But 85 was pretty tough, so I may need to hang out there a bit longer. I usually lift without a spotter and had to use my bailout bars for that last one, but hey - at least I know I maxed out there. So bench was a small gain on paper, even though it felt like a loss.

Row at 50 felt pretty good. And I think it might be time to alter my situp routine to either increase reps per set or start adding a 5lb weight to my chest or both.

After a cool down I made the mistake of trying to do one max set of pushups with my dogs nearby and got attacked by the puppy (literally, he went for the ponytail and bit my head). So I had to stop at 10 and put him outside, which is why I ended up doing 3 sets instead of one max. Oh well.

If I wasn't in the military I probably wouldn't do the situps or the pushups but since I have to do them for my PRT I figured it was probably good to add them in with my regular lifts. I used to be able to max out pushups at 50, but then I injured my wrist 3 years ago in a cycling accident and has never fully healed. So far it's feeling pretty good, so I'm hopeful that if I keep adding more slowly maybe I can get back up in the mid 30s-40s without stopping.

And now - Time to go eat some tuna.

Human Warrior

Wins for Today

- Was able to get in 30 minutes of intense cardio while I was at work.

- Diet today has been pretty successful. Kept the carbs and calories in check and have had a decent protein snack/meal every 3-4 hours. I'm realizing just how tough it is to get enough protein in during the day though, so I went ahead and ordered some protein powder from my friend Amazon which will hopefully be here in about a week. I don't really like the supplements, but I've been averaging about 80-90g of protein a day through my regular diet and from all my research for lifting I need to be getting at least 140g a day. I can't afford the extra calories from more protein bars (plus they make my jaw tired), so I reckon I will be implementing one or two shakes into my diet in the near future.

Fail for Today

- I am still in the throes of night/day transition chaos. Woke up at midnight, couldn't get back to sleep until almost 0600 and had to be up to get ready for work at 0900. Completely exhausted right now, but hopefully tonight will be different. Fingers crossed for a full night sleep so I can deadlift tomorrow and post a super awesome progress report.

Until then!

Human Warrior

Hello Deadlift Day - Bring it!

Last deadlift day results 5x5 (lbs, kg):

o   Squat - 55, 65, 80, 95, 100   (25, 29.5, 36.3, 43.1, 45.4)
        OH press – 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 (13.6, 15.9, 18.1, 20.4, 22.7)

Deadlift – 95, 95, 100, 100, 110 (43.1, 43.1, 45.4, 45.4, 50)

Decline Situps – 7 sets of 12 + last set of 20 for 104 total 

Military Pushups maxout - 22

Today's results:

o   Squat - 65, 75, 85, 95, 115 (29.5, 34, 38.6, 43.1, 52.2)
        OH press – 45, 45, 45, 50, 55 (cranked out last rep-tough!) (20.4, 20.4, 20.4, 22.7, 25)

Deadlift – 95, 105, 115, 125, 130 BooYah! (43.1, 47.7, 52.2, 56.8, 59)

Decline Situps x15 – 10 sets, 150 total

Military Pushups maxout - 28

Added a few extra exercises today, like a BoSS:

Jump rope x50 in between lifts: 5 sets

Pull-ups with 2 assistance bands: 5 reverse grip, 4 normal grip

Reverse row on bar x5: 3 sets

It's amazing what finally getting a normal night's sleep can do. Feeling very satisfied this afternoon, similar to when I first read Mad-Eye Moody turned Malfoy into a ferret. But maybe a little bit better since the accomplishment was mine. I turned deadlifts into a ferret. Muhahaha.

I'd just like to point out that there are only 10 more pounds between me and a bodyweight deadlift. I may just reach that goal early.

"Are you not entertained!?"

Human Warrior

Well done!! Looks like you are making great gains. :)

Where did you find the stats on female powerlifters in your weight class? I am very curious to maybe do the same for here in Aus - but im guessing your figures would be pretty applicable to me anyway since i am the same weight.

Also, with your goals are you hoping to reach those weights for reps in your 5x5 program or just as 1 rep max weights?

Keep up the good work.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

I did a search for USAPL competition results and took the minimum (last place) numbers to get a goal for where competition lifts would begin. I imagine Aus must have something similar.

My 5x5 program is a little different from the others b/c I do increasing weights x5 sets rather than the same weights x5 sets. It's sort of a Wendler 5/3/1 meets SL 5x5 hybrid. I do it this way simply because that's how I was taught 2 years ago when I first started, not because I believe it's better than other programs. Doing it this way allows my muscles to warmup and prepare for heavier lifts and also helps me focus on proper form. Plus I find it more motivating to start small and end big.

So when I say my goal for DL is 140, I mean 140 for 5 reps x1 being the last set.

Human Warrior

After i posted before i went and had a look at some of the results from the powerlifting federation my bf is in - the weights are a tad slower then the ones you reported but very similar: -

Approx:

Squat  - 80kg (176lbs)

Bench - 50kg (110lbs)

DL  - 100kg (220lbs)

That means basically doubling my squat weight, and increasing bench and deadlifts 20kg and 30kg respectively just to hit the bottom performers - but that is for national comps - there are plenty of novice comps around my area where there are much lower weights then that :)

The program you are doing sounds really interesting. I am doing stronglifts 5x5 so i do 5x5 of my working weight, but i also warmup to that weight first - usually in sets of 5 and then for some exercises (like deadlifts and bench) I will regularly continue after my working sets and do higher weights in reps of 3,2 or 1 to get a better idea of my max's and just to push my body a little bit and mix it up! I have been concentrating on 1rep max weights for my goal setting so far but havent tested it with squats!

• Like 1

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Nice, yeah they look pretty similar. I told my sister yesterday (jokingly) that I only need to add about 200lbs to each of my lifts in order to be competitive with Jennifer Thompson. Even then I'd still probably lose, but to be able to compete at that level - to bask in the aura of her awesomeness - would be absolutely thrilling.

As a side note, I was able to find my last workout sheet from back in March '13 before we packed everything up and here are my max numbers at the time:

Squat - 120lbs (54.5kg)

Bench - 90lbs (40.9kg)

Row - 70lbs (31.8kg)

OHP - 50lbs (22.7kg)

DL - 145lbs (65.9kg)

I'm not sure if these are PRs because I don't have my numbers from when I first started lifting a few years ago. I think it's safe to assume that they probably are and if not they are surely close enough for all intents and purposes. I was actually kind of surprised to see that I'm already back up to my max bench and ohp and pretty close to my squat, so I'm pretty pleased with my progress over the last 2 1/2 weeks. I originally thought it would take all 6 weeks just to get back up to these numbers.

I am curious though - for anyone else that does the bent over row - I saw a video today of someone teaching the bent over row with a supinated (palms up) grip. I've never done it that way. Does it make a difference? Just curious.

Human Warrior

I am curious though - for anyone else that does the bent over row - I saw a video today of someone teaching the bent over row with a supinated (palms up) grip. I've never done it that way. Does it make a difference? Just curious.

Supinated grip on BB rows is supposed to isolate the lats more.....

I do not have any concrete evidence to back this claim.....but that is what it is supposed to be doing.....

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Donar.

Yesterday was a rest day. Which worked out well since I didn't sleep well again the night before (darn you night shift!)

Today is supposed to be a lift day, but I had to get up super early (0445) to go to Command PT before work (0645). So I while I did manage to swim 1200m this morning (yay!), I still need to lift this evening. Hoping my super awesome co-worker will let me go a little early so I can knock it out before I get too tired.

Human Warrior

I'd just like to add that I had no idea how sore my traps would be after only 9 assisted pullups the other day. Holy cow. The swim this morning helped but I could seriously use a minion right about now to give my muscles a good massage.

Got out of work a little bit early (thanks coworker!), ate some protein (homemade shrimp ceviche for the win!) and did a bare-bones workout this evening. Had a headache all afternoon so I only did squat, bench, and row tonight - no situps/pushups/extra stuff. It's still a win because I didn't let it keep me from doing my main lifts, plus I already got some pretty decent cardio in this morning.

Day 20-ish Numbers (lbs):

o   Squat – 70, 80, 95, 110, 120

Bench – 60, 70, 80, 90(x4), 90(x2), 75(x6)

Row – 35, 40, 45, 50, 55

Wins = I went up on my squat and my row!

Fails = Still not getting through 5 reps on 90lbs bench. I should have backed off considering I failed there last time too, but I'm kind of stubborn at times. It's almost like I can hear the weights goading me... "you can't lift this!" and then I'm all like "Oh yeah? Watch me!" - hence why I tried to do it twice... and failed twice.

Win = At least I did 4 nonstop this time before failing on the 5th! Steve says that's progress! Plus I did two more! Then backed off and did 6 at 75 to make myself feel competent again.

So 3 wins - 1 fail = +2 growth

Now to reward myself with some more protein.   :)

Human Warrior

So I've come down with "the crud" that seems to be making its rounds in Sicily this month. Really, who gets the cold/flu in the middle of August? Craziness.

While Saturday and Sunday were intended rest days, today has also become a rest day simply because I'm afraid if I lift it will either A) be a horrible fail day because I have no energy and/or make me worse.

Unfortunately diet and lifting are both losses today. My one win for the afternoon is that I managed to crawl off the couch long enough to get decent, put my uniform on, and go to my promotion ceremony (promoted to LT today, O3 in the Navy). Stayed for about 30 minutes after for "socializing and refreshment" (had a little bit of cake and a root beer float - my first soda in I can't remember how long) then came home, stripped off the uniform and crashed back into bed. Only reason I'm up now is because I woke myself up in a coughing fit. Bleh.

I just happen to have the next 2 days off so here's hoping this bug resolves enough for me to lift tomorrow.

Human Warrior

So I've come down with "the crud" that seems to be making its rounds in Sicily this month. Really, who gets the cold/flu in the middle of August? Craziness.

While Saturday and Sunday were intended rest days, today has also become a rest day simply because I'm afraid if I lift it will either A) be a horrible fail day because I have no energy and/or make me worse.

Unfortunately diet and lifting are both losses today. My one win for the afternoon is that I managed to crawl off the couch long enough to get decent, put my uniform on, and go to my promotion ceremony (promoted to LT today, O3 in the Navy). Stayed for about 30 minutes after for "socializing and refreshment" (had a little bit of cake and a root beer float - my first soda in I can't remember how long) then came home, stripped off the uniform and crashed back into bed. Only reason I'm up now is because I woke myself up in a coughing fit. Bleh.

I just happen to have the next 2 days off so here's hoping this bug resolves enough for me to lift tomorrow.

Oh sucks to hear you are sick :( making the rounds here in Oz too apparently! Mines been getting worse for a week and i also cant sleep due to coughing fits!

Hope you are feeling better soon

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Still (cough) getting (hack) over this crud (sniffle). Didn't lift yesterday. Had a 0900 appointment to get my new ID card with the new rank on it but then came home and crashed again all day. It wouldn't have been so bad except I couldn't shake the my-sinuses-hate-me headache. I'm feeling a little bit better today, but throat is still raw and still leaking a lot of snot. Yesterday I vegged on the couch and found House of Cards on Netflix and I'm kind of embarrassed to say I'm hooked. Only other productive thing I did yesterday was stay up late to attend the first day of a virtual TBI (traumatic brain injury) Conference for 4 credit hours of continuing education - stuff I need for re-certifying as an ER nurse down the road.  

The kitchen is almost completely empty so I need to get to the store to restock on healthy foods and snacks. My diet the last 3 days has been dreadful. I was doing so good too! *Puts saddle back on horse...* Time to get up and ride again.

Dunno if I'll lift today, but I do plan on getting a few other things done while my body finally rids itself of this plague:

Clean bathrooms

Put laundry away

Restock healthy groceries

Attend Day 2 sessions of TBI conference tonight

I feel like I haven't exercised in years. I really hope this week isn't going to be a huge setback when I finally hit the weights again.

Human Warrior

I have 4-year degrees in both Biology and Nursing and yet I cannot explain where all this snot is coming from.  It's as though my brain has turned to slime and now it's pouring out through my sinuses.  The human body continues to amaze me.

Grocery shop was a success.  Cleaned one bathroom.  Put half of the laundry away.  Triple score.  

Enjoying some hot tea with honey and orange oil before I finish the rest.  Mmmm...

post-14071-0-75978800-1377083081_thumb.g

• Like 1

Human Warrior

So I was just sitting here, on the couch, in my nest of kleenex, when I looked in my email and saw that I had an unread newsletter from Steve sitting in my inbox. It was the one titled What if the Princess Doesn't need Rescuing?. It was so motivating that I got my ass off the couch, blew my nose one last time, and went outside to lift for the first time since last Friday. Sure, I had to blow a few snot rockets, and my arms and legs felt like weaksauce, but I'm happy to report that even after 4 days off, with 3 of them being sick, I made gains today! 

Last Friday's Numbers x5 (lbs):

o   Squat – 70, 80, 95, 110, 120

Bench – 60, 70, 80, 90(x4), 90(x2), 75(x6)  [Just couldn't quite crank out that 5th rep on 90 all last week]

Row – 35, 40, 45, 50, 55

Today's workout x5 (lbs):

o   Squat – 70, 80, 95, 110, 120, + 130x2!

o   Bench – 60, 70, 80, 85, 90!

o   Row – 35, 45, 50, 55, 57.5!

o   Decline situps x15: 7 sets for 105 total

o   Jump rope x50: 7 sets in between lifts

o   Military pushups: 20max

o   Assisted pullups (2 bands): 6 reverse grip, 5 normal grip

o   Reverse row on squat bar: 10 normal grip, 5 reverse grip, 8 normal grip

I initially went out there with hopes of at least matching my last weights. Then when I felt pretty good after my last 120 squat I decided to go 130 for 1 rep max and ended up doing two. Score for squats! Next up was my evil foe: the bench. I've been trying to break 90 for reps for the last 2 weeks and today was finally my day! Once I go over 90, I will have a new PR. Soon my precious... soon... Went up a little on row too - today was the first day I used the Olympic bar for most of my bent over rows rather than the lighter curl bar, which is what I've been using up to now. It's a little harder to grip, but easier for loading more weight.

Also happy to report I was able to do ONE more rev grip pullup and ONE more normal grip than last time, and several more reverse rows on the bar. My pushups fell, but I think that's a mix of arms feeling like jelly after bench and not taking a long enough rest before attempting. Also, note to self, won't be doing reverse grip rows on the bar anymore - that was a seriously awkward angle just begging for a wrist injury.

Let the salmon celebration begin!

Human Warrior

That right there ^^ shows how important proepr rest and recovery can be.

A lot of people make the mistake of "more is better" when talking exercise volume....

Kickass workout! :tyrannosaurus: rawr!

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done! I found the same thing last time I took a workout day off sick. I swapped my workout yesterday to today so hoping I can do half as good as you with my chest infection and sinus headache lol.

Hope you are feeling all better soon

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Just about over this cold/sore throat business. Did well with diet today - oh and my protein powder finally got here. I definitely recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard - Mocha Cappuccino flavor. It mixes really well and tastes pretty darn good as far as protein powders go. My husband usually gets a GNC brand in chocolate but I've never been fond of the texture. I think I'll let him use up the rest of the old stuff while I enjoy the new.  :)

Time to attend my last night of TBI conference.

Human Warrior

Bring on the deadlifts - Day 27

Last lifts (lbs):

o   Squat – 70, 80, 95, 110, 120, +130x2

o   OHP – 45, 45, 45, 50, 55 (last rep tough)

o   DL – 95, 105, 115, 125, 130

o   Curl – 25, 30, 35, 40, 40

o   Decline Situps x15: 10 sets

Today's lifts (lbs):

o   Squat – 80, 95, 110, 120, 125

o   OHP – 45, 45, 50, 55, 57.5

o   DL – 95, 115, 135, 135, 140

o   Curl – 25, 30, 30, 30, 30 (I know I went down, but it's late, I worked all day, and I lost patience after the deadlifts)

o   Decline Situps x10: 1 set regular, 6 sets +5lb chest weight = 70 total

2 weeks left in the challenge and I'm back up to BW deadlift. Woot! Now to get my squat up to match before the challenge is over...

Human Warrior

Adventure update: Went rock climbing today for the first time ever at Castelmota, Sicily. I have a new-found respect for lead climbers now. Talk about exhilarating/terrifying. The real thing is nothing like its indoor counterpart... 

Going to be sore tomorrow but totally worth it.

post-14071-0-28220300-1377372559_thumb.j

post-14071-0-71044700-1377372598_thumb.j

Human Warrior

Just checking in since it's weigh-in day:

Starting weight (28 July, 2013) = 145.0 lbs

Weight today (25 August, 2013) = 140.8 lbs

It took me 2 weeks into my challenge before I garnered the courage to take some measurements (calf, thigh, waist, bicep) which I have saved in my personal exercise/food log. Will post those numbers at the end of the challenge when I have something to which I can compare.

Human Warrior