o   Row – 35, 45, 50, 55, 57.5

o   Decline situps x15: 7 sets for 105 total

o   Jump rope x50: 7 sets in between lifts

o   Military pushups: 20max

o   Assisted pullups (2 bands): 6 reverse grip, 5 normal grip

o   Reverse row on squat bar: 10 normal grip, 5 reverse grip, 8 normal grip

Today's bench day x5 (lbs):

o   Squat â€“ 95, 110, 120, 125, 127.5

o   Bench – 60, 70, 80, 90, 95x4 (failed last rep - agh! so close...)

o   Row – 45, 45, 55, 55, 60

o   Decline situps x10 with 10lb weight: 8 sets for 80 total

o   Military pushups: 29max

o   Assisted pullups (2 bands): 7 reverse grip, 6 normal grip

(Long day at work - didn't do the extra accessory stuff tonight. It's almost 9pm and I still haven't had dinner, bleh)

My husband, who hasn't really been paying attention to what I've been doing the past 3 weeks since I started back up, came out per my request tonight so I could have him watch my form on squats in particular. After looking at my clipboard of my past workouts and tonight's workout he informed me that I'm "doing it all wrong." Something about calculations and 70%, 80%, whatnot that morphed into some sort of foreign powerlifting language that required a translator. [Disclaimer: I love my husband dearly] Rant: seriously guys, why do you do this? I'm perfectly intelligent enough to learn if you take the same amount of time to teach as you do to make negative critiques, really. Withholding information while simultaneously scoffing at my "ignorance" is simply a ploy at maintaining a sense of superiority. Not cool. 

P.S. There's no need to get defensive simply because a girl asks for a rationale as to why your way is better.

So anyway, I guess he's going to take a look at my numbers and punch it into some sort of magical powerlifting formula that's supposed to be "better."

I thought I was doing well by just increasing my weights and/or sets/reps each week. What was I thinking?

Ok, I'm done venting. 

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Still so jealous of your lifts!!

I know what you mean about the hubby  - I am still learning a lot about form, nutrition etc and my bf (powerlifter) has a very strong view point on a lot of it, and voices it regularly. You are doing well and that is the main thing. Keep up the great work!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

So yesterday was so busy that I was at an unintentionally low calorie deficit at the end of the night. Today was just the opposite. It was an unintentional/turned intentional carb load day.

I had to go to directorate PT early this morning before my 12 hour shift and didn't have time to make my lunch like I usually do. So I ended up eating corned beef reubens with the staff for lunch, then made shrimp and spinach alfredo pasta for dinner, then treated myself to an ice cream coke float for dessert.

It was awesome. And I don't even feel guilty because I was skimped on diet yesterday and I got a half hour session of plyometrics training in this morning. Most of it consisted of bodyweight squats, squat-jacks, jumping twist squats, jumping lunges, one leg hops, and other leg burning exercises that I'm sure to be feeling in the morning. Woooo, good times.

Human Warrior

Enter the Excel Spreadsheet:

My husband, using his nerd/powerlifting skills, has taken my data and provided me with an excel spreadsheet that maps out a plan for each lift day _ blah blah something about 12.5% blah _ with the ultimate goal of increasing my lifts each week according to the chart below (starting weight/weekly increase in lbs):

Event       5RM     Week+
Squat       125       7.5

Bench       90        2.5

DL 3RM    140       5
OHP          55        2.5

Row          60         5 

Lifts will be 3 times per week with 2 days rest at the end of each cycle. Assuming I can continue this program for 10 weeks without interruptions - I will theoretically be at these numbers (lbs):

Squat - 170

Bench - 112.5

Row - 105

OHP - 77.5

DL - 185

It will be like a personal physiologic experiment to see how this pans out. The scientist in me is super excited, I feel like Dr. Jekyll - only hopefully Mrs. Hyde will be a little less homicidal but super powerful (and sexy).

Today is a recovery day. But definitely looking forward to starting this new overlapping quest tomorrow, Cheers!

Human Warrior

Lift day one of the new spreadsheet, all lifts met. Of course there was no excuse not to meet them since we reset by a few pounds. Here they are (lbs):

o   Squat – 65, 80, 100, 115, 127.5

o   Bench – 45, 60, 70, 80, 90

o   Row – 30, 45, 45, 55, 60 (that second set was supposed to be 40, but I skipped it. Don't tell my husband!)

o   Curls x12 reps – 30 for 3 sets

o   Decline situps x12 – 15 sets in between lifts, total of 180

It's just as well that we reset because I didn't get much sleep last night and my last sets today were UgLy

Diet is still on par, although I really need to find some sneaky ways to eat more vegetables. I could eat meat/protein and fruit all day. BBQ in the crock pot for later, mmm...

Now I'm off to shower and then to the gym to get my belay certification for the indoor rock climbing wall, woo!

Human Warrior

Last deadlift day:

o   Squat – 80, 95, 110, 120, 125

o   OHP – 45, 45, 50, 55, 57.5

o   DL – 95, 115, 135, 135, 140

o   Decline Situps x10: 1 set regular, 6 sets +5lb chest weight = 70 total

Last Pullups:

o   Assisted pullups (2of3 bands): 7 reverse grip, 6 normal grip

New Spreadsheet Deadlift Day Today:

o   Squat: 65(x5), 80(x5), 100(x5), 100(x5)

o   OHP – 45(x5), 45(x5), 50(x5), 55(x5), 50(x8)

o   DL – 95(x5), 105(x5), 125(x3), 140(x3), 140(x2), 140(x1)

o   Decline Situps x20 – 6 sets, 120 total

o   Assisted pullups (2of3 bands) – 9 reverse, 7 regular

Still doing pretty well on the nutrition front, but there's one pesky coworker who keeps trying to get me to "eat with the gang" and break my routine because "you don't need to diet, you workout" and it's getting really effing annoying.  I'm starting to think he's just trying to be cute but it's really coming off as awkward and irritating.  What the staff cooked today: macaroni and cheese with bacon (main course) and cherry no-bake cheesecake.  Granted it smelled delicious, and I love mac and cheese as much as the next girl, and I HEART bacon. But I resisted, again, and feasted on a cucumber/tomato salad, cottage cheese with pineapple, a plum, and 2 small pieces of homemade tomato/basil pizza from last night.  

Suck it coworkers. 

Human Warrior

It's lift day 3 which completes my first week of the new 10-week spreadsheet!  Woo!

Last bench day (lbsx5):

o   Squat – 65, 80, 100, 115, 127.5

o   Bench – 45, 60, 70, 80, 90

o   Row – 30, 45, 45, 55, 60 (that second set was supposed to be 40, but I skipped it. Don't tell my husband!)

o   Curls x12 reps – 30 for 3 sets

o   Decline situps x12 – 15 sets in between lifts, total of 180

o   Last max pushups: 29

Today's bench day:

o   Squat - 65(x5), 80(x5), 100(x5), 115(x5), 135(x3), 100(x8)  (*PR*)

o   Bench - 45(x5), 60(x5), 70(x5), 80(x5), 92.5(x3), 75(x8)

o   Row - 35(x5), 40(x5), 45(x5), 55(x5), 65(x3) tough, 45(x8)

o   Decline situps: 1 set of 20, 6 sets of 30 = 200 total

o   Max pushups at end of workout - 32

Can I just add that I can't believe this is the beginning of week 6 in my first NF challenge ever?  Wow, so many gains and changes in my energy and mental health since the beginning.  One more week before I take pictures and measurements.  Pictures probably won't show much change, but I definitely feel better.  Besides, the rest of my new 10-week spreadsheet is my next personal challenge, plus perhaps some tweaks in the nutrition...

Human Warrior

I cant believe it is nearing the end of the first challenge either!! but i know what you mean about changes - i have seen a lot of mental changes :)

Congrats on completing the first week of your new program!! I am SOOOOOO jealous of your squat and bench numbers - gotta keep working on mine! I noticed that you are planning on competing in the virtual lifting comp! I am thinking about doing it as well as i think its a great way to get used to the setup of comps, without actually having to go an do it in front of a bunch of people! haha Should be fun if i can work it into my program :)

Keep up the awesome work

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

I noticed that you are planning on competing in the virtual lifting comp! I am thinking about doing it as well as i think its a great way to get used to the setup of comps, without actually having to go an do it in front of a bunch of people! haha Should be fun if i can work it into my program :)

Yes! Super excited too. I really don't think Italians in Sicily have powerlifting competitions, so this is as good as it gets until I move back to the states and can see one for real. I was looking through all the rules last night - did you know the singlet is a requirement?  Haha, glad I won't have to follow that rule for the virtual competition or my neighbors might start talking...  Cheers!

Human Warrior

As soon as I mentioned no powerlifting competitions in Sicily, it dawned on me that I could probably find some competitions in Europe and sure enough, the Arnold Classic is being held in October in Madrid Spain - unfortunately my schedule won't allow me to go, but now I know where to look for European meets so maybe I'll be able to get to one sometime in the not so distant future just to watch!

Human Warrior

oh man....getting soooo close to putting on the train wheels on for you top set....

Good work! Squatting this much takes uber-commitment!

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes! Super excited too. I really don't think Italians in Sicily have powerlifting competitions, so this is as good as it gets until I move back to the states and can see one for real. I was looking through all the rules last night - did you know the singlet is a requirement?  Haha, glad I won't have to follow that rule for the virtual competition or my neighbors might start talking...  Cheers!

I did know that the singlet is a requirement in many of the big comps - some of the local ones i have been to here dont always require this stuff if they are not going for official records or anything. My Bf wears one for his comps lol

Good to know that there is comps not too far away! but i am surprised that Sicily wouldnt have any ... possibly they only have small local ones?

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Ha - generally I'm a little sad that my boyfriend really isn't interested in my lifting at all, but I guess it's at least nice that I don't have to deal with mansplaining from him.  Nice that it turned into an interesting new program for you, though!  I hope you keep enjoying it.

WPC Worlds are in Prague in late October this year.  I won't be able to make it, but a bunch of people from my gym are driving there from Portugal in two vans...woo, road trip!

Alright, 3 day update.

Tuesday = preplanned rest day (but got in an hour of rock climbing at the gym)

Wednesday = preplanned rest day

Thursday = unplanned rest day; I was supposed to start week 2 of my new program last night after work but I had a migraine all afternoon and didn't have my medication with me at work, so long story short I decided to go to bed early and get up early to workout this morning, which I did.  

Definitely wasn't feeling motivated due to that postictal/medication side effect feeling but at least my head didn't feel like exploding, so here we go.

Lifts for today (lbs x5):

Squat - 70, 85, 105, 120, 135 (PR for Reps!)

Bench - 50, 60, 70, 85, 92.5

Row - 35, 45, 50, 60, 65 (last set tough!)

Curls 1 set max reps 35lbs x12

Situps x40 for 5 sets in between lifts, plus one last set of 10 with 10lb plate - 210 total

So there ya go - Day 1 of Week 2 has begun.  My last two big "To Do" items for today include my career development board meeting at 1000 and then I have some serious school work to catch up on.  (I discovered 2 days ago that my textbook for this current class was missing the last part of chapter 9 through the first part of chapter 11.  Talk about putting a kink in my game plan for studying and assignments on my day off.)  Oh well, onward and upward.

Human Warrior

Adventure update!  Posting some pics from yesterday's boating trip off the small fishing village of Marzamemi located on the southeastern tip of Sicily.

post-14071-0-39888500-1378634776_thumb.j

Ok, so I could only get one pic to upload... someone have any tips on posting files to this thing?

Human Warrior

Portami i pesi! (Roughly: bring on the weights!)

Deadlift Day - week 2 of 10 [lbsx5 unless otherwise noted]

Squat - 70, 85, 105, 105                              

OHP - 45, 45, 55, 57.5, 55x8

Deadlifts - 95, 110, 135x3

Situps x50 for 3 sets = 150 total

Assisted pullups (still 2 bands) to failure: Reverse grip x10, Regular grip x8                           

Squat  +1RM challenge: 135, 145, 155                                                                    

Bench +1RM challenge: 95, 97.5, 100

DL      +1RM challenge: 145, 155, 165

Deviated a bit from the prescribed workout today because I wanted to see what my 1RM looked like since I plan on participating in the virtual lifting competition. Granted, I probably shouldn't have done them on the same day as everything else, but as they say "ain't nobody got time fo dat."

Nice to see some new PRs though.  Now to get them for reps...

Oh shoot!  I just realized today is the end of my week 6.  I forgot to weight in this morning... blast!  Will post end of 6-week challenge results tomorrow then I guess.

Human Warrior

Monday's Numbers - End of First 6-week Challenge Results:

(for reps)    Week 1              Week 6

Weight:        145.0lbs             141.4lbs

Squat:          65lbs                  135lbs

Bench:         65lbs                   92.5lbs

Row:            35lbs                   65lbs

OHP:           45lbs                   57.5lbs

DL:              110lbs                 145lbs

Overall: loss of 3.6lbs

Measurements from Week 3: August 15, 2013

ü  Thigh: 23†at widest point

ü  Hip: 36†at widest point

ü  Waist: 32†at belly button            

ü  Bicep: 10.5†at widest point

ü  Calf: 14.5†R, 14†L

Measurements from Week 6: September 9, 2013

ü  Thigh: 22.5†at widest point

ü  Hip: 35†at widest point

ü  Waist: 30.5†at belly button            

ü  Bicep: 10.75†at widest point

Not bad for my first challenge.  Now to finish challenge #2!

Human Warrior

Monday's Numbers - End of First 6-week Challenge Results:

(for reps)    Week 1              Week 6

Weight:        145.0lbs             141.4lbs

Squat:          65lbs                  135lbs

Bench:         65lbs                   92.5lbs

Row:            35lbs                   65lbs

OHP:           45lbs                   57.5lbs

DL:              110lbs                 145lbs

Overall: loss of 3.6lbs

Measurements from Week 3: August 15, 2013

ü  Thigh: 23†at widest point

ü  Hip: 36†at widest point

ü  Waist: 32†at belly button            

ü  Bicep: 10.5†at widest point

Measurements from Week 6: September 9, 2013

ü  Thigh: 22.5†at widest point

ü  Hip: 35†at widest point

ü  Waist: 30.5†at belly button            

ü  Bicep: 10.75†at widest point

Not bad for my first challenge.  Now to finish challenge #2!

Crazy good numbers for a recomp right there.....lose a little scale weight and got massively stronger!

....and dropping 1.5" from your waist while adding a quarter inch to your bicep.....just awesome.

It's what I want to do....I just can't seem to get my arms to grow.....lol

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------