Crazy good numbers for a recomp right there.....lose a little scale weight and got massively stronger!

....and dropping 1.5" from your waist while adding a quarter inch to your bicep.....just awesome.

It's what I want to do....I just can't seem to get my arms to grow.....lol

Thanks!  Wish my before and after pics were as amazing as yours though.  I still need to take some "after" pics which will be my new "before" pics for the rest of my 10-week challenge.

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Today's Lifts (lbsx5) End of week 2 of 10:

o   Squat – 70, 85, 105, 120, 142.5x3, 105x8

o   Bench – 50, 60, 70, 85, 95x3, 70x8

o   Row – 45, 45, 50, 60, 70x3, 50x8

o   Situps x50 for 2 (100) + x60 for 2 (120) = 220 total

o   Max military pushups after 3 min. rest at the end= 33

Human Warrior

Those are some amazing results for the challenge - well done!! A lot of your measurements are quite close to mine, as well as your weight!

I am SOOOOO jealous of your squats!!! stop being so great at them so i can catch up :P

But really ... Keep it up!

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

Photo Progress:

It's been 5 months since I moved to Italy and I finally went and purchased a full length mirror today so I could post some proper before/after shots.

The "before" shots are actually from back in January, but they are pretty much the same as how I looked at the beginning of the 6 week challenge back in July (I might have even looked worse in July - I didn't even have the guts to take pics then).  I've still got a ways to go before I include a head shot though...   :playful:

C 1-14 2013 142lbs

C 1-14 2013

After my first 6 week challenge and only 1/2lb difference between my weight now and in January:

C 9-12 2013 141.4lbs

C 9-12 2013

Human Warrior

Yeah! As they say.....a picture is worth a thousand words.....

The difference in the pictures is even more dramatic than the numbers....on women....the "line" that separates abdominals from the obliques and serratus area is quite telling....and your is definitely popping in to say hi!

*THAT* is the definition of a recomp. *nodding

Scale doesn't move much.....but the body composition makes big improvements....

Unreal work! You get 5 gold stars!!! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*THAT* is the definition of a recomp. *nodding

Scale doesn't move much.....but the body composition makes big improvements....

Unreal work! You get 5 gold stars!!! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Aw, shucks... now you got me blushing and stuff.   :redface-new: 

Week 3 starts tomorrow! So excited...

Human Warrior

Wow well done!!

I took an after shot of my bum the other day to compare to one i found from just before i started lifting (~3months). Oh wow do pics really show the progress!! i would post mine but i dont think they are the most appropriate things to show to the entire internet lol.

Keep up the great work )

Are you still going to compete in the virtual lifting comp?

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

First day of Week 3: (lbsx5)

o   Squat – 75, 90, 115, 125, 142.5 PR for reps!

o   Bench – 50, 60, 75, 85, 95 PR for reps!

o   Row – 35, 45, 55, 65, 70 (last set was tough!)

o   Curls – 35lbs 1 set max of 13 (with my husband standing over my shoulder telling me to "squeeze and hold" at the peak of each one)

Didn't do my usual situps in between sets tonight because we had Command PT this morning which consisted of running/pushups/situps/bear crawl intervals.  I think I probably did at least 100 pushups today total.  No clue on the situps.  Hands are still raw from the track though - definitely not pushup friendly material.

Ate YellowJacket's leftover chicken recipe for lunch... delicious.  :)

Human Warrior

Accidentally posted this in my new challenge thread rather than my battle log, so posting it again for consistency.

Middle of week 3 (lbsx5 unless otherwise stated):

o   Squat – 75, 90, 110, 110

o   OHP – 45, 45, 55, 60, 55x8

o   DL – 95, 115, 135x3, 150x3, 150x3, 155x1

o   Situps x60 for 4 sets = 240 total

o   2 Band assisted pull-up: Reverse grip – 11, Regular grip – 8 (kipped that last one)

o   1 Band assisted pull-up: Reverse grip – 1

Human Warrior

End of week 3:

o   Squat – 75, 90, 110, 125, 150x3, 115x8

o   Bench – 50, 60, 75, 85, 97.5x3, 75x8

o   Row – 45, 45, 55, 65, 75x3, 55x8

o   1 set of max situps in 2 minutes: 80

o   Max military pushups: 35

Today was a "I'm not feeling it" kinda day.  However, I told myself to shut up and get over it and go lift already.  My inner dialogue can be a real hard-ass.  That last 150# rep on squats was a little ugly - I think I psyched myself out on it and lost my form on the way up. Ended up leaning forward just a hair too far on the up and lost my balance causing a little stutter step at the end.  Not competition worthy, but it'll do.  Better next time.

Bench felt Be-Awesome - creeping my way towards triple digits, look out!

I have decided that rows and OHP are like demons in Diablo.  As soon as I level up, a bigger stronger demon steps in my path and it's not a fun kill.  Grrr

With PRT season fast approaching [Oct 16] I opted to do only one max set of situps today within a 2 minute time frame.  The bad news: I was only 1 rep shy of "Excellent" for my age group (81 = excellent, 92 = outstanding, 98 = max).  The good news: 80 is a good number and I was only doing them at a regular steady pace just to get a baseline, not at max-out intensity.  

Pushups were rough because I'm STILL sore from all the pushups we did on Friday... ugh.  That was 5 days ago.  Feeling kind of pathetic right now.  Bad news: 35 is nowhere near my personal best.  Good news: 35 is way better than where I was 8 weeks ago, struggling just to do 17, the minimum to pass.  Today, despite feeling tired and sore, I cranked out 23 easy, slow to 30, and the rest were sheer determination.  My arms are still a little shaky.  Next 2 days are rest days and I'm glad because I feel like I really need them this week.

Prepare yourself Pushups - I will defeat you...

Human Warrior

Went rock climbing at the gym today for about an hour and a half.  My forearms are still burning.  Probably not good for my "rest day" but definitely worth it.  Plus I got to use my new ATC for the first time.  Happy day.

Also just finished my LAST paper for my current class.  Finally.  Last step tomorrow is the final exam and then a few weeks break before I start my next class.

Human Warrior

Hello week 4!

Started off my workout today by doing the 1RM virtual competition.  Here are the results:

(lbs/kg)

Squat:

- 150/68.02

- 160/72.56

- 165/74.82

Bench:

- 95/43.08

- 100/45.35

- 110/49.88

DL:

- 155/70.29

- 165/74.82

- 175/79.36

Then did my prescribed workout for the day (lbsx5):

o   Squat – 75, 90, 115, 135, 150x3*

o   Bench – 50, 65, 75, 90, 97.5 (PR for reps)

o   Row – 40, 50, 60, 70, 75 (PR for reps)

o   Curls – 40lbs, 1 set of 10

o   1 set of situps in 2min45s: 120 total (94 in 2 min.)

So I burned out on that last set of 150 squats - dunno if it was the 1RM lifts that did me in or if I just need to hang out here for a bit longer.  Will stick with the plan for the week and see what happens before I go changing anything.

Bench felt pretty great today until that last rep on 97.5 which was really slow and a little sloppy.  I actually attempted 115 for the 1RM after my first 2 lifts and had to use my bailout bars.  Oh well.  Next competition!

Only did one set of situps today and I timed it.  Did much better this time, but the goal is to get 100 in 2 minutes.  Almost there.

Human Warrior

Went for a grueling 3-hour hike yesterday on Mt. Etna, Sicily's active volcano.  Took my old man dog who promptly proceeded in making me look bad as he dashed ahead of everyone in order to be the trailblazer.  In NC, most hiking trails are designed so that there is an up and then a flat or slightly down so you push on the incline and then have a recovery period as you work your way up (or down) the mountain.  Well this hike was more of a straight-up/straight-down, only towards the very top it was like climbing a sand dune because the dirt was all soft ash with virtually no solid footing.  My calves are so sore, but I got a few good panoramic shots from the top and then at the crater. 

Etna

Etna crater

Human Warrior

Middle of week 4: (lbsx5)

o   Squat – 75, 95, 115, 115

o   OHP – 45, 50, 55, 62.5, 55x8

o   DL – 100, 120, 140, 155x3, 155x2, 160x1

o   2Band Pullups: Rev – 12, Reg – 9

o   1Band Pullups: Rev – 3  

o   Situps in 2 minutes: 100

Oorah - pullup progress!  Pretty soon this thing will be sissy stuff...

1band

Human Warrior

PROGRESS REPORT WINS: (and a small rant)

- Finally hashed through the technical difficulties and took the final exam for my class this morning.  Didn't ace it, but still came out with a solid A overall.

- Got an unexpected compliment yesterday from one of the docs I work with and who lives nearby; he asked me if I had "been doing crossfit" because he had seen all of our equipment in the carport and thought I was doing "crossfit-looking exercises."  No offense to my crossfitter friends, but I had to correct him as I most certainly do not buy into the crossfit culture.  I am a heavy lifter doing a 5x5 strong lift program.  I am not a kipper, and c'mon "sweet potato brownies" and "almond flour cookies" who are you trying to kid?  I'm all for whole food, but we don't have to reinvent the wheel here.  And $200/mo for a gym membership?  I smell a pyramid scheme... Anyway, it was still a compliment as he mentioned I was "looking leaner and more muscular," despite eating a York peppermint patty yesterday.   :hororr:  - but that's not paleo bro! Yeah, suck it.

End of week 4: (lbsx5 unless otherwise)

o   Squat – 75, 95, 115, 135, 157.5x3, 115x8

o   Bench – 50, 65, 75, 90, 100x3, 75x8

o   Row – 45, 50, 60, 70, 80x3, 60x8

o   2 minute situps = 101

o   1 minute pushups = 40

York Progress

Human Warrior

9/28/13 Beginning of week 5:

o   Squat: 80, 100, 120, 140, 157.5x3 (failed on 4)

o   Bench: 50, 60, 75, 85, 95

o   Row: 45, 50, 60, 70, 80 (PR)

o   Situps: 1 set of 100

9/30/13 Mid-week 5:

o   Squat: 80, 100, 120, 120

o   OHP: 45, 50, 60, 65x4, 65

o   DL: 100, 120, 140, 160 (PR)

o   Pullups:

§  2 Band reverse: 13

§  2 Band regular: 5

§  1 Band reverse: 3

It's been a frustrating lift week.  I haven't been feeling well and both lifts this week fell on days where I was working a 12 hr shift. Not to mention I realized, after the fact, that my week 5 spreadsheet got altered by mistake so I ended up only doing 95 for 5 on bench on Saturday instead of 100, which is what was supposed to be my lift for the day.  Also failed on #4 of my squat on Saturday, and was so spent from deadlifts yesterday that I couldn't meet my previous numbers on pullups even with the bands.  Feels like I took a few steps back this week, but I knew my newbie gains would slow down eventually.  I think my husband and I are going to tweak some things in the plan.  He watched me lift yesterday and has some suggestions for working on my form and I think we're going to move pullups.  I've been doing them once a week after my deadlift workout, but at his suggestion, we're going to move pullups to row day.  I'll finish out week 5 tomorrow morning and then I'm off to London for my first vacation since I arrived to Sicily. I like to think of it as a 5 day rest & recovery that's falling rather nicely into the middle of the 10-week plan.

Onward and upward.

Human Warrior

Holy crazy squat weight - i want!

I know exactly what you mean about a frustrating week! Im sorry you have had one as well  :(

The changes to the plan sounds good - let us know what you decide on! and keep up the good work!!!! you might feel like you had a shit week, but it does look like it

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Last day of week 5:

o   Squat: 80, 100, 120, 140, 160x2, 120x6

o   Bench: 50, 65, 75, 90, 100x3, 75

o   Skipped Row

o   2 band pullups: rev 5x3, reg 5x3

o   Pushups: 10x6

o   Situps: 50x2

Keeping consistent with the rest of my crappy week.  Failed on 3rd rep of 160 squat, failed on 4th rep of 100 bench, and didn't even have the patience or the time to deal with rows today.  Instead I decided to do alternating sets of pullups and pushups for 30 total pullups and 60 total pushups.  Gonna be feeling that tomorrow when I'm in LONDON!  Woo - break time.

Human Warrior

Had an amazing week in London!  I don't think I've done that much walking each day since I worked 12's at UT Medical's Level 1 Trauma Center.  Now it's back to the rack to see where I'm at - Hello Week 6

o   Squat: 80, 100, 120, 140, 140

o   Bench: 50, 65, 75, 90, 100 (PR)

o   Alternating sets of rows, pullups, situps, and pushups:

§  Rows: 45, 50, 50, 50, 45

§  2band Rev PU: 8, 8, 7 (23 total)

§  2band Reg PU: 8, 7, 4 (19 total)

§  Pushups: 12x5 + last set of 15 (75 total)

o   Some more squat work:

§  65lbs x12

§  95 x1

§  135 x1

§  145 x1, x1

§  160 x1

§  170 x1 (1RM PR)

Really struggled with squats early in the workout and didn't feel like I could go up to the scheduled 157.5.  It's a combination of mind over matter and focusing on form.  It's a little scary now that I'm reaching weights above my body weight.  Like if I pick that weight up and make the slightest wrong move I'll get flattened like a pancake.  I know the odds of that happening are about as good as my making an appearance in a Roger Rabbit film, but still.

Anyway - despite the squat issues - had a good night on Bench, finally hitting a new PR of 100!  Need to keep working on leg drive to get this smoother, but I'm pleased with the progress.

Decided to mix it up a little with my push/pull exercises so I did some circuits of rows, pullups, pushups, and situps.  Where 45-50lb is typically an easy row for me, after a few rounds of pullups it is markedly more difficult.

Did a little more squat work at the end of the workout when my husband got home because he wanted to critique my positioning, etc. and do some single heavy lifts.  We adjusted a few things - namely my bar placement and stance width and had some good results.  At his suggestion (thanks babe) we turned my crappy squat day into a new 1RM PR day hitting 170lbs for one.

Human Warrior