Paleo with breaks

markwhelan92

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if anyone has a bit of insight into this... 

For my diet at the moment, I'll eat strictly paleo monday to friday evening, and after that it's anything goes. My reason for this is because I don't feel I can keep up the strict diet without something to look forward to at the weekend. 

I've been doing this for about 4 weeks. By the third week I had more energy (after being absolutely shattered for the first week) and the process seemed to be working, but after a particularly heavy binge over the weekend, I've been tired again since Monday. Presumably my body had become fat-adapted and I've just partially reversed the effects? 

Anyone got any thoughts? Is it a bad idea to have a break or should I just take it easier on the weekend?

Cheers!

Paleo enthusiast, Part-time hobbit, Z fighter, Kokiron, Westerosian and Jedi. Quite a CV. Find me at www.paleocastle.com.

Paleo is not a ketogenic diet, so you should not be getting fat-adapted. What are you eating during the week? Generally with Paleo people eat much closer to the right amount, and get in lots of vegetables. This equals energy. For the weekend; most likely you just ate like crap and therefore felt like crap.

Taking a break is not a bad idea, in fact I would recommend it, but make it one day a week instead of two, and still keep track of what you're eating because it is possible to negate your entire week if you really go overboard on the weekend.

Thanks for the reply. During the week I'll eat eggs / bacon / any protein for breakfast, usually a salad with fish or meat for dinner and then fish / meat with veg, maybe some sweet potato mash. Between meals I'll snack on nuts seeds and dried fruit, fruit (mostly bananas) and maybe some home made tomato soups. 

This weekend however! I binged out on many many chocolate bars, a take away, lots of cups of tea (I am english, afterall), and biscuits. My main meals were still pretty healthy however. The weekend before, I still ate chocolate, some bread, cheeses and a few bags of crisp but it didn't seem to affect me the following week - I still had bags of energy. 

Do you think my over-indulgent weekend was to blame for my lack of energy this week then? I thought (without much basis :)) that once my body was 'paleofied' my energy levels would not drop so low unless I completely reversed the process.

Paleo enthusiast, Part-time hobbit, Z fighter, Kokiron, Westerosian and Jedi. Quite a CV. Find me at www.paleocastle.com.

I dont take breaks because I now see the foods that we avoid as poison to our bodies. The diet is not just about losing weight and getting more energy, its also about avoiding foods that work against our body and cause inflammation and mild allergic reactions.

I look forwards to paleo foods on the weekend that i dont have time to make during the week.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

I know what you mean, up until about Wednesday night I crave junk, but after that I feel awesome and don't like the idea of eating or drinking anything bad. I can feel that mentality developing more and more, especially when I have a week like this where I feel crap.

Because I have given myself weekends "off" I sort of force myself to eat a bit of junk in a way - just cause I can. Also, the activities I enjoy in my leisure time on the weekend generally mess with my diet, i.e. drinking and eating out, or even just having a movie night (just isn't the same for me without snacks and/or pizza). 

Part of Paleo is figuring out what different foods do to your body, and then choosing whether or not to eat those foods again. For instance, I know all the side effects that ice cream causes in my body (figured out I was lactose intolerant, joy), but on special occasions I will still have ice cream and then just deal with the consequences.

Also, eating Paleo isn't an on/off switch. Just because you started eating Paleo again on Monday morning doesn't mean that your body immediately dumps all the stuff you put in it over the weekend; it takes at least a few days to process and clear all that. Some things you eat, e.g., gluten, can mess with your hormones for days or even weeks on just a single exposure. And if you continue to eat those things, then your body never gets a chance to fully recover. Maybe it's almost recovered by the weekend, but then you dump more on it and the process has to start all over again.

OP, please be wary of dietary pseudoscience. It permeates a lot of the Paleo culture at times.

Anyway, it looks like you are eating relatively low-carb (depending on how many bananas and sweet potatoes you eat) during the week and then pigging out on candy on the weekend, so insulin decided to axe-kick you in the genitals. Level out the sweets and your problem will probably disappear.

Haha, yeah, basically I need to stop being such a pig on the weekend. I find a lot of it is just trial and error, I've only been at this four weeks and I'm figuring out what seems to work and what doesn't. I find that nuts, seeds and dried fruit are good for an energy boost, as is a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning (i think it was Tim Ferris who recommended that, it seems to work). Also wheat grass powder and veg juices. 

Thanks for all the advice, appreciated. 

Haha, yeah, basically I need to stop being such a pig on the weekend. I find a lot of it is just trial and error, I've only been at this four weeks and I'm figuring out what seems to work and what doesn't. I find that nuts, seeds and dried fruit are good for an energy boost, as is a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning (i think it was Tim Ferris who recommended that, it seems to work). Also wheat grass powder and veg juices. 

Thanks for all the advice, appreciated. 

Maybe you can try a "cheat" meal at night rather than the entire weekend. You may be a bit more satisfied all day if you eat a hearty paleo breakfast rather than something smaller that may result in you craving all the bad foods. You can always try to take an hour out on Thursday or Friday to prepare paleo snacks for the weekend for you to grab instead of processed foods. Good luck this weekend!

Level 6 Halfling Adventurer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/8773