Cuckoo Learns to Fast

So I was reading Steve's post about Intermittent Fasting and decided I would like to give it a try.

Since January I have lost almost 2 stone through HIIT training, running and watching what I eat. I have never and still don't follow any kind of diet, I just cleaned up my habits and stopped eating so much crap. 'My stomach is not a rubbish bin'.

I've hit a plateau though and had to stop HIIT training. Well I didn't have to stop, but I would have had to start paying for classes and I didn't fancy that. So I've started strength training and I understand that muscle weighs more than fat and the number on the scales going up might be due to my awesome new muscles, but there is still some body fat I'd like to lose and I'm hoping IF might help kick start that again.

So I'm going to keep track of how I get on here; unfortunately I wasn't a NF member when the most recent challenge started, otherwise I would have included this as part of the challenge. Get ready for a nice long post.

Monday night/yesterday morning was my first day. I had dinner on Monday at around 7pm (smoked salmon on cholla bread with cream cheese - was delicious but I did eat a bit too much) and then didn't eat anything else all night. I woke up on Tuesday and would usually have had a bowl of cereal or some breakfast biscuits (I know they're not the best thing to have in the morning, but they're really good with coffee) but after I got ready I just left the house. I was mega thirsty though and wished I'd had some water with me on the bus to work. When I got into work I did get some water (I have a 75cl bottle that I refill throughout the day) and had a cup of coffee at around half 9.

I found it quite easy for the first few hours; I wasn't hungry at all. I probably had about 2 bottles of water which I think helped and I was kind of busy which took my mind off of it. Usually I would have had lunch at about 1 o'clock but I gave in to hunger by half 12. 17 and a half hours fast was a pretty good first go though I thought!

Lunch was a flour tortilla wrap with lettuce, cream cheese, cucumber and sweetcorn, along with a yoghurt and a small bag of crisps. I then also had one of my Graze Box snacks - 'Cookies and Cream - mini chocolate cookies, roasted hazels, white chocolate buttons and sunflower seeds'. Was delicious and only 214 calories. This was followed by more water, coffee and tea throughout the rest of the day (and many trips to the bathroom to pee!).

I met my SO after work to pick up some food and because he needed help carrying everything home I didn't get to go to the gym as I had planned. I was a bit miffed and had kind of resigned myself to having an unexpected rest day, but when I got home I was inspired to go for a run (thank-you Instagram). I hadn't been for about a month and I have quite an expensive watch to track my stats and I felt bad that I wasn't using it. I managed 3.85kms in 27.22 minutes which is my fastest time yet! Obviously I'm doing something right :) I was dead pleased with myself for going at the last minute. I needed it, especially as during the food shop I'd bought a chocolate bar and a chocolate pastry :nightmare:

Dinner was slightly later than normal, 9:45pm. My SO cooked dinner, which was a Bratwurst sausage in curry sauce with sweet potato chips (or fries if you're that way inclined :)). He had given me two sausages initially but I decided to save the other for today's lunch (which I didn't end up having, but that's another story). Although it wasn't the healthiest of dinners, I felt it was okay.

Overall, I know I could have done better throughout the day with my eating. I didn't need to eat the chocolate bar or the pastry, but I'm pleased that I managed to fast for 17 hours and that I made myself go for a run when my plans had to change. So I think that evens it out :) An okay first day with a few small successes to celebrate.

Cuckoo

'I'm not worried Harry, I'm with you' - Albus Dumbledore - HPatHBP

Level 0 Blob Warrior
STR 4|DEX 3|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 1|CHA 2

Day 2 did not go well.

I ate breakfast, which is what I was trying to avoid. It wasn't even a healthy breakfast - I had a bacon sandwich. There was a big event on at work at breakfast was provided. I felt pressured as everyone else was having it :(

Then lunch was provided at this big conference I had to go to. I think I did a little better. Although I didn't know what was in half of the sandwiches provided I consciously aware of my portion size. I had half a sandwhich, a tiny wrap with some kind of mango chicken filling, a puff pastry bread stick (because they looked good) 4 delicious (but tiny) strawberry's and a wee slice of watermelon. The strawberry's and the watermelon was actually the first thing I picked up which I'm quite proud of. There were nachos and dips and things available but I stayed away.

When I got back to my office I had two of my Graze Box snacks 'tomato dipinetti - slow cooked cherry tomato relish with rosemary grissinetti' and 'salt and vinegar nut selection - salt and vinegar almonds and salt and vinegar peanuts'. Both of these were accompanied by a cup of coffee.

After work I went to the gym. 10 minutes on the step machine followed by a tough leg day. Then on the bus I knew I wasn't hungry and was going to settle for some boiled eggs for tea, but I got a text from my boyfriend asking if I wanted pizza. I told him no, but then felt so guilty because he obviously wanted pizza that I caved in and said yes. I don't know how to feel about that. On the plus side I did only eat half the pizza. The other half is still at home in the box, which will probably be consumed for dinner tonight.

So overall a rubbish day. But I know where I went wrong. Hopefully day three will be better.

Cuckoo

Level 0 Blob Warrior

Hi Jmm and Alice,

Thanks for the encouragement - I know that one bad day isn't the end of the world.

I'm hoping to fast for between 15-17 hours from and then eat the remaining 7-9 hours. I'd like to work my way up to 24 hours eventually, every now and again. But for the moment I'm just cutting out breakfast really. I'm hoping this will help me eat in a calorie defecit. I'm not too good at that.

I'm trying again today. I had my dinner last night at about 9pm and it's now 10:30am. Keeping the hunger pains at bay by drinking water. I've already drunk a litre and a half and I'm about to go and get more. If I can wait til about 1pm for my lunch then I'll be happy :)

Cuckoo

Level 0 Blob Warrior

Don't beat yourself up. The first step to change is being mindful of your habits.  Lasting change requires baby steps. You might find skipping just 1 meal a day works out for you.  I started fasting (which I didn't even know this was a 'thing' - it is something I just started doing on my own a few years back) by simply not eating lunch, and having small things instead, like a yogurt, or a milk and piece of fruit. I'm not really one to eat breakfast usually, so a typical day for me (since I was a child) doesn't normally include breakfast, unless I wake up super freaking hungry (as I did today).

You're doing awesome. Baby steps is the ticket, and it will become easier :)

Xeph Ranger

Misu gets good at getting out of fire - My very first challenge!

Full Metal Penguins - Because I need backup

Battle Log - Proof I can dodge walls of fire

"What happens to you doesn't define you - how you react does."

Thanks Misugrrl.

I've always eaten breakfast. But I went into hospital about two weeks ago and couldn't eat anything for 24 hours before hand. I managed to do it and I wasn't as hungry as I thought I was going to be, which gives me hope that I can IF regularly :)

Just got to keep on keeping on

Level 0 Blob Warrior

Day 3 was another good day - I fasted from 9pm to 1pm so a good solid 16 hours. I find water and coffee helps suppress any hunger in the morning. I kept track yesterday and had 3 cups of coffee and 1 cup of tea throughout the 7 and a half hours I was at work. But I also managed 3 litres of water in that time which is good.

I did have the other half of the pizza I had earlier in the week for dinner though. I'm not too bothered by it. I didn't get to the gym but I will be going tonight. Overall, day 3 was more succesful than day 2 and I'm starting to think I might be able to make this a regular thing :)

Level 0 Blob Warrior

Day 4 was successful and managed to fast for 16 hours. I also brought up the subject of the Paleo diet with my boyfriend and he seems to be on board. I'm excited to try it

Day 5 was also successful but quite easy to do really. I fasted for 15 hours and had a (what I think is) a Paleo lunch of a mushroom and onion omelette. I would usually have added cheese but didn't this time. I did also have a tub of sweets but haven't had anything else. Haven't kept track of my water consumption as its the weekend but I think its about a litre and a half.

All in all things are going well :)

Level 0 Blob Warrior

I'm pleased with today's progress. I fasted from 9pm to 11am. Although it was only 14 hours I did manage to do my workout in a fasted state which I haven't done at all this week. I ran to the gym which took about 20 minutes and then did an overall workout. I actually did some squats in the squat rack today rather than the smith machine and I felt much better. I can definitely squat lower and get full ROM.

I'm excited because tomorrow I'll be going back to my HIIT classes. I've found some more free sessions I can go to which is great

Level 0 Blob Warrior