Paging Waldo

whoiwas

Waldo, I read your blog and have to say, impressive - both your physical accomplishments and your ability to articulate what you've learned.

I am the guy who is trying to lose weight while developing some physical fitness habits. Not necessarily trying to get stronger, or even more muscular. I am consuming a daily calorie deficit set to lose about 1.5 lbs per week. What ratio of protein should I be looking to consume? Assuming the protein ratio is acheived, of the remaining is there a level of carbs that you would say is too high?

As for strength training while losing weight, I've hit the plateau that all newcomers hit. I don't want to eat more to get stronger or build muscle yet, so would you recommend I just soldier on until I get down to my target weight?

Thanks.

Don't worry about a ratio of protein, just try to hit roughly you LBM in grams per day. That is more than enough for just about any situation. Ratios don't work all that well; as intake goes down protein requirements go up, as intake goes up, protein requirements goes down. Cutting hard I'm up over 30% of my cals coming from protein, when bulking that number dips under 20%.

I prefer a low fat, high carb diet, so no amount of carbs is too many. I don't go out of my way to eat silly low fat though. Eating a high carb diet is fine and is good for performance as long as keep the fat intake down.

Since you aren't going to get much stronger until you raise cals, one thing you can do is to switch to a more cicuit style approach to maintain most of your strength gains while burning up lots of cals and building your work capacity. That's what I did when my gains plateaued on my initial cut, I started doing a workout of 50 pullups, 100 pushups, and 150 squats, done in circuits of my choice racing the clock (usually a circuit of 5 pull, 10 push, 15 squat repeated 10 times). To start I'd do a couple strength sets of an exercise then do the circuit workout.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

I read every article in Waldo's blog yesterday after seeing this post. Fantastic stuff sir. Thank you.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

Yeah I'll second that. I jumped over from here yesterday and read start to finish during a slump at work. Very well done Waldo. Only thing I was bummed about was not seeing a 'building blocks pt 3' article. All in good time, great reading so far anyway.

The Logros - Guardians of the First Throne itself.

Yeah I'll second that. I jumped over from here yesterday and read start to finish during a slump at work. Very well done Waldo. Only thing I was bummed about was not seeing a 'building blocks pt 3' article. All in good time, great reading so far anyway.

Been lazy about working on it lately, need to refocus my efforts.

Though the start of football season has not helped. Taking up a lot of my limited 'net time.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

I disagree- PRESSURES.... UNDERPRESSURE..... .(cues music)

snicker... we are all waiting anxiously for the arrival of MOAR articles!  I love sharing your site with people!!!  DON"T BE LAZY WE WANT MOAR!!!  

:)

but in other news.  Yes- waldo = gold mine- so happy to have stumbled on to here and that he has time to educate people. it's awesome.