• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrVornoff

Pittsburgh Nerds Unite!

I want to relate a quick story that really scorched my cheeks today.

Steel City Con is this weekend and myself, my best friend of 20 years, and my sister all had 3-day passes.  Note the past tense.  This year, the con made the immensely strange decision to give people neon-colored bracelets instead of badges.  It was not explained to us on day 1 that we were required to keep the bracelets on all weekend.  If we removed them, we would not be allowed back in.  At all.  Again, this was not explained to us yesterday.  We came in this morning and I dropped off my sister and buddy to go look for a parking space.  We had removed our wristbands, but brought them back along with our photo IDs and receipts proving we had bought the passes.  They were refused entrance.

They talked to security and got the con director, whom I will refer to from this point on as Dilbert's boss.  He refused to let them in, saying it was not his job to do so.  He explained that the bracelets should be fine as they were purchased from a medical supplier, were hypoallergenic, and therefor you should wear them for 72 hours non-stop in order to prove that you actually gave him money.  It's obvious at this point that he made this decision because the bracelets were marginally cheaper than badges.  Typical, really.  Pinch every penny until Lincoln screams.  But it got worse from there.  He also explained that he suspected people last year of loaning their badges to other people, who went to the con in their stead so he's never issuing badges for the con ever again.  He then said he would only let them back in today... if they paid full price for a 1-day pass.  In other words, one of those MBA types who believes he is entitled to your money and that customers are all secretly thieves trying to figure out how to rip him off.  I've had several bosses just like this, but that's another story.

Anyway, my friend calmly and politely explains to Dilbert's boss that they have the bands, ID and receipts so it's not as if there's any manner of chicanery going on here.  The moron continues to refuse.  My friend, starting to lose patience points out that no other convention in the Pittsburgh area does this and it's unfair to the attendees to be punished for the imagined malfeasance of others.  Getting snotty, Dilbert's boss dares him to name any conventions that conduct business as described.  And here's where things got ugly.  My friend attended Anthro-Con this year and pointed out that they gave badges to all of their attendees, were able to give replacements if you could produce proof of purchase, and in fact have an attendance easily 3 times that of Steel City Con so it's not like Dilbert's boss can claim that it's this great burden on him when a much bigger con doesn't even consider it an inconvenience.

Dilbert's boss took that personally because apparently he's still bitter about not getting voted Most Likely to Succeed in high school.  He threatened to ban the both of them from the convention forever.  My sister is now in tears as she's working on establishing a business as a portrait photographer at conventions and bought my friend's 3-day pass for him as a birthday gift.  My friend, seeing that there is no reasoning with this unspeakable douchetitan, instead decides to walk.  We three have decided that we're never going back to this convention.  They took our money, failed to explain their new and incredibly stupid policy to us, and treated us like thieves.

I tell you all this because I think you deserve to know the practices of this director if you are thinking of attending Steel City Con in the future.

Hey Pittsburgh fitness Nerds!  I just rejoined the community after a while away...in the interim I started strength training alternating with some Cardio and Intervals on recovery days, so it made sense to get back on board, having been subscribed to NF blog since 2011.

I wanted to reach out to NF people in the area and was thinking it'd be cool to get some more events/meetups going.

I currently work out at lunchtime at the Gold's Gym on Stanwix Street downtown, generally 5 days a week depending on my professional workload.  Anyone else work out there?  What kind of regimens do you folks practice?  Looking forward to seeing some cool activity on the board and to meeting up in real life.

I go to the Crunch Fitness at the Waterfront currently.  Due to some back problems I've been out for a while, but I'm going to be starting again.  I'm going to stick to cardio warmups with kettlebell swings and Turkish get-ups for a while.  I also decided to get a little more exercise at home by practicing a little dancing.  I finally broadened by horizons into listening to EDM.  Grooving right now on Seven Lions and Avicii.  Seriously, I cannot get over how good the Worlds Apart EP is.  So I looked up some videos on popping and am going to start practicing that while I'm at home as a way to get me away from the desk.

I'm pretty new to this whole thing and really out of shape (lost 40lbs last year sticking to primal/paleo, gained about 15/20 back depending on the week).

I work full-time and am in the last term of my master's program before my internship in January, so my physical health has kind of gone to seed but I'm hoping to get involved again.  I live around Wilkinsburg and bus everywhere.  I don't know, I'd like to get connected with people who are health-conscious.

I can't afford it at the moment, but if anyone else is interested in the CSA farmer's market box, you can sign up for it at www.pennscorner.com

The current winter selection is delivered bi-weekly and each delivery contains microgreen, one half pound of goat milk feta cheese, one dozen eggs, half a gallon of apple cider, a jar of red tomato puree, 3 lbs of red potatoes, a bibb lettuce head, puffed spelt, fresh tumeric, 1 lb of carrots and a garlic bulb.  The spring box doesn't start until April.

Is there anyone from Pittsburgh on here that works out at Celli's Fitness Center? It's a really awesome smaller gym, I just joined up. http://www.cellisfitness.com/

I'm not just plugging the place or anything, I haven't been on these forums for like 6 months and recently switched from an LAFitness to this new place and figured I would see if anyone on here went there.

I'd be totally up for one - if you can schedule it at a minimum of 4 weeks after my wife's due date!  Which, incidentally, is St. Patrick's Day.  Any suggestions for Irish baby girl names?  :D

This appears to be a slow-burning thread, so I'll see if it's still alive. I'm also in Pittsburgh and would be interested in attending some sort of get-together if one is taking place.

Looks like I was a little late to the party 

Me too, rybo.  

If there is another meet up, I'd be down.  I'm starting new again on getting back into shape and I don't have a concrete plan of action yet.  It'd be a good motivation booster to talk to some local NF peeps.

I'm free Saturday the 18th.  Though we'd have to make it lunch or something.  My roommate and I are going to the Carnegie Museum's bug fair in the afternoon.

I also have the 29th off.  If anyone wanted to do another Sunday brunch at the Tin Front Cafe, it would have to be in August because I'm already scheduled to work every Sunday this July.