• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Mid Challenge Status report!

Oh man, the challenge!! My challenge has been to try to get off of the plateau that I've been stuck at for over a year - between 185 - 195 pounds - and its been going pretty awesome, even though I've been stuck at 188 for two weeks now! 

So why awesome, even if I've still got 9 pounds to go to meet my challenge goal? 'Cause I'm learning so much! Thanks to the focus that the challenge provides I've been able to really analyze what I've been eating, how much I eat, how much I work out, how often I give myself proper rest days, what foods really mess with my system and which ones make me feel full without the nasty bloated feelings... 

Thanks to the enhanced understanding that I've been able to glean from following this challenge I've already made quite a few changes to my life! I'm even more diligent about cutting out flour products, easing up on my carb restriction (it wasn't helping at all), increasing how much I eat in carefully measured amounts (I haven't been eating enough), and stepping up how often and how intensely I work out.

The best part about all of these changes is that I know they are what my body actually needs - not just some random list of things I made up. These are my "body facts" that I've gotten to learn about over the last few weeks as I paid such close attention for the challenge! It feels so good to know that this is what truly is what is good for me because I experimented and tried it, not just 'cause I read it somewhere and thought it'd be a good idea to try. 

I'm not sure if I will meet my goal of 179 by the end of the challenge, but I've dropped from 191 to a very stable 188! Considering I've been stuck in the mid to upper 190s for the last few months (at one heart-rending point, merely two months ago, I saw 200 on the scale again!) I'm happy with this new set-point! Now to keep working on it, eh? 

Hi Guys! Congrats for your accomplishments!

How I did? Amazingly!

Here are my goals for the challenge
1. By the end of the challenge : 0 processed-sugar in my eating
2. Workout 5/6 times a week
3. Scale only on day 1, day 22 and day 43 of the challenge

1. I managed to crush my sugar cravings which is an amazing and the most important accomplishment! I came across amazing articles, especially this one from James Clear. I know everything I had to do, I have been tracking my food for 3 months now to be able to identify every single reason why I ate, if I was hungry or not, mood swings etc. Let’s say that the challenge and the will to succeed in it pushed me in every ways to find out what was still preventing me to succeed. I smashed it and I am very very proud of it, because this was my major barrier to weight loss.

2. This is going really well, even when I was sick (past week) I kept the WOs. So yeah, I am proud of myself. I am considering working every day on one exercise specifically for the rest of the challenge : BURPEES (I know, crazy me, especially because I hate those!)

3.I am very strict on this one because I used to have mood swings just because of what the scale would say (even if I knew that it’s not the whole story).
Yesterday brought a good surprise : I went from 87 kg to 82.4 ! However, the week before the challenge started, I was around 85kg so I’m not sure that the starting weight was so accurate… See, one more reason I am so happy to have resisted hitting the scale too many times.

Life goals implied reading 3 books : I am finishing the 3rd and reading another one next week

Huge success for me then!

So far :
- Build better eating habits
- Quit an awful bad habit : hitting the scale all the time
- No longer sugar cravings
- Keep rocking it at workouts (3 CrossFit sessions + regular Strength and Cardio training)
- Cooking new Paleo-friendly meals
- 200 % committed to reaching my goals
- Found nice interesting people in the NF boards :)

My goals will remain the same for the rest of the challenge. I would like to push my Fitness goal a bit by working on burpees… Actually, I would like to set a PvP challenge with someone for daily burpees set until the end of the challenge, the idea is to go progressive. We need to add one or more every day but we can’t go back. If someone joins me on this one, I’ll open a thread in the dedicated section!

That is long summary, but I’m glad to have it written!

I thought we First-timers were forgotten by the admins, but here you are, thanks!

For my first time doing a six-week its going great.  So far I would give myself an A.  I'm really excited that its halfway over.  Time flies when you're having fun.  One adjustment I have made so far is making all of my meals for the week ahead of time in order to simplify everylthing. 

I only had one goal and have been doing OK with it.  Eating clean is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I have learned alot from this challenge, and interacting with others, so I think I am starting to get it dialed in.  Better preparation and planning seems to be what is missing now.

I can a few days of very clean food then have a few days of bad eating.  This back and forth is what I need to stop.  I will need to redouble my efforts and really focus now to finish strong and get ready for the fall eating season.

I've been doing fantastic with one of my goals, and terrible with the other two!!! *__* I've fell off my Paleo wagon a good few times, but happily there was a wonderful person here on Nerd Fitness to support me and get me back on track again! I'm still going to finish up my 6 week challenge, even if two out of three of my goals haven't turned out so great.

For the next challenge I'll know to reduce my goals a little, I think I may have made them a little big to start off with! :)

So far, I'm really pleased:

Work on strength at least 3x a week:   I haven't missed a day!

Go for a run at least 2x a week:   I kept to my target of 2x a week, plus 2 extra thrown in there.

Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night:   ergh. Week 1 was flawless, week 2 was average, week 3 was meh. All in all, I'm averaging 50% on that goal.  For now... I will crush my goal and see it driven before me...

My side goal - of logging everything into MFP: I'm at about 80% consistency.

I have loved it so far and that's awesome because I'm enjoying my bww quick I haven't missed a workout! Rawwwwr!

I hurt my ankle BUT instead of letting it throw me off I just did buts of the workout that I could without too much pressure on my ankle :) but I super pushed myself which I think made up for it :)

The only thing that's a constant niggle is in finding it hard to engage others on their quests and support, im a bit of a lone adventurer but I like others in put on my challenge and giving encouragement back so hopefully that will improve :)

Good luck everyone :) x

Hey MumB! I've found it pretty difficult to connect as well- so I'm following you! I have a few people I track without fail and couple who seemed to drop off the face of our NF world. After this I'm headed straight to your challenge post.

I'm really excited and pleased thus far:

Goal 1) cut out processed sugar. Check! I've had it once, but only because I was signed up to bring cookies to a work function, and my boss would be eating them...

Goal 2) no obvious forms of wheat (bread, pasta, cake, etc). Partial check. I had a handful of pretzels once, and a flour tortilla twice. Nit bad. And a heck of a lot better than I was! (I'm allergic to wheat)

Goal 3) handstands. I'm up to holding them 7 seconds without a wall and without falling.

Life goal: try at least 2 new things. I've done one already! Tried hot yoga for the first time and LOVE it! Coming from a pretty solid yoga background, I'd always been meaning to try it, just never had.

Cheers to you all for a killer second half!

Things have gone pretty well! I had a slight setback where I had to cut down on activity because my knee got munted again, but actually it turned out for the best since it led me to ferret out the culprit behind this & some other issues (muscle tightness, who knew it made such a difference). Getting this under control, I've managed to stay on track and make progress :)

Halfway through this challenge, I don't look any different but I feel quite different (both physically and mentally).

I've been slack with setting up a proper grading system, but I'd go with a B so far. POINTS ALERT

I'm a little ambivalent about the challenge at the moment. Whilst I'm progressing nicely with (most of) my goals, I've found that as I've spent more time thinking about them and my workout regime in general, the more I'm convinced that I need to change things up and there is a strong part of me that wants to be finished with the challenge so I can start implementing the changes which contradict my current goals.

For example, a couple of my goals relate to doing a certain amount of reps per set of different exercises but the more I read up on these things, the more I'm convinced that it's not necessary to do 3 sets of 40 reps before I progress onto something harder as I'm not making any strength gains, I'm just building up my endurance. Really I should be content with consistently doing 10 to 12 reps with really good form and then moving on to a harder variation to up the difficulty but as my challenge goals are to be able to do 40 reps, I'm forcing myself to keep on adding to my rep count rather than move things forward from a strength perspective.

Another thing is that my goals are interfering with each other. Two of my goals relate to progressing with bodyweight exercises however my other is to do 70,000 steps per week. Whilst I'm not finding it a struggle to do both, I'm very aware that all my walking is burning calories that I'd much prefer to be expending on lifting my body up and down. I'm trying to consume more to compensate this but it's always at the back of my mind that things would be easier if I wasn't going out for a half hour stroll every lunchtime.

I think what I'm really got most out of the the last three weeks is a massive increase in self-awareness and knowledge about what I want to achieve and how to achieve it. I'd hit my previous weight goal a week or so before the challenge started so I was feeling a little lost as to what I should do next. Whilst setting my goals initially didn't help me understand what I wanted in the long term that much, actively working towards them and spending the time researching exercise and fitness in general to aid in my progress towards those goals has massively helped me to become more focused on my long term targets and given me great insight as to how to achieve them.

I'm not sure what to grade myself at the moment so I'll probably settle for a badly scrawled 'good effort but could do better'.

Andy.

first challenge doing good on track for all the goals except the financial the last credit card will be close will se in the end.  there is a full report on my personal posting if your interested in the states. I'm going to have to push myself harder next challenge a little more body fate reduction then it sculpting and endurance training. 

@Etchi good for you sticking to the challenge. I'm not sure how much strength training you've done before but starting with muscular endurance isn't a bad idea at all. Though you're probably right about changes for you next challenge.

Also, a thirty minute walk probably helps your body to heal from your workouts rather than hurting you. I know I recover better when I do some light cardio in between workout days.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think what I'm really got most out of the the last three weeks is a massive increase in self-awareness and knowledge about what I want to achieve and how to achieve it. I'd hit my previous weight goal a week or so before the challenge started so I was feeling a little lost as to what I should do next. Whilst setting my goals initially didn't help me understand what I wanted in the long term that much, actively working towards them and spending the time researching exercise and fitness in general to aid in my progress towards those goals has massively helped me to become more focused on my long term targets and given me great insight as to how to achieve them.

^ This right here is what the first couple of challenges are all about. Experimentation and finding what works and what makes sense to you. 

^ This right here is what the first couple of challenges are all about. Experimentation and finding what works and what makes sense to you. 

Experimentation has been a big part of my challenge even though it's not really how I saw it happening. I find I'm constantly tweaking my workout routine to make sure I'm getting the most out of them. Also, one of my goals was to hit a certain goal in order to put on some muscle mass. Coming from a weight loss period and never doing a bulk before, I am still pinning down a correct caloric goal that has me gaining weight. All in all though it's been a blast, and the people on NF are knowledgeable and very helpful.

I'm feeling pretty good so far!

Basically, my goals were:

1. Hike four miles every week

2. Do a strength-based workout three times a week

3. Cut out added sugar

The hiking is going great, I think I'll even have some extra miles by the end.

This Friday is my birthday so I am going to ignore Quest #3 for the night. In the future I'd like to conserve my sugar consumption for special events and well made desserts. So I can eat a really nice slice of cake a couple times a year rather than eating candy bars from the convenience store all the time.

Well, it's not been particularly good. I've been excellent at sleeping eight hours a night, missing only 1 night. I've also done well at exercising regularly, though I'd probably just give myself a B+ there. As for eating vegetables.... I have been failing miserably. Every time I go on an adventure, I'll eat my veggies, but when other treats are available and I don't feel like I need a lot of fuel, I just don't bother eating much of anything, and what I do eat is less than ideal. I figure I'll follow through, but I'm definitely sticking with the Rebels next challenge.

My fitness goals have gone great, overall. I've missed my sleep goal on a few nights and one run, but NONE of the strength workouts! I feel like a machine - whether I feel energetic or lethargic, good or absolutely awful, I work out every other evening like I should. And I've noticed my push-up form has improved loads, even though I'm still doing knee or incline push-ups. I tried a real push-up today and couldn't go low enough, but I can feel it's gonna happen fairly soon.

The only problem's my knee. The back of my left knee and the calf keep getting sore (in a bad way), from squats especially. So I've had to do fewer squats or skip them altogether in order to let it heal or get used to the exercise or whatever it needs to do to fix itself. Right now I'm doing only 10-20 squats per workout. It's so annoying, but I figured I'm not helping myself in the long run by rushing it.

Life goal hasn't progressed as well as it should. But I've started it, and I WILL finish, even if not within this 6 week challenge, damn it. It's important.

What the what, we're first level now? Awesome! *goes update her sig* What can I say, I love stats :P

Mid-Challenge Report for Sarah906!

Chuggin' along, but not hitting my goals.

It's been really hard to stay accountable and on track, but I'm not letting it get me down. I'm determined to finish out the challenge strong! I've had to redo my life quest of getting my motorcycle on the road because I've decided to sell it and try again next year. The riding season is almost over and I could save for a better bike by next year anyway. It's disappointing, but oh well.

Otherwise the first challenge has been just that .. a challenge! I love the support & encouragement I've received from the NF community, I'm glad to be a part of it & hope I'm reciprocating!

Thank you - you guys rock!!

The first three weeks were good!  The internet went down at work for the second and third week, which made it hard to post, but I kept up.  I went camping over this last weekend, which meant no internet, cell service, access to gym, etc., but I still stayed active, which was the important thing.

One thing I've noticed is that I have been holding myself to quite a high (and potentially unsustainable) standard in some areas.  I have so much going on on a day to day basis that I need to be a little easier on myself when I don't hit perfection.  Also, allowing for life events (like going camping) ahead of time would definitely take some of the pressure off and allow me to stick to hiking and running for a few days without feeling guilty for the lack of strength training.

Another thing I've discovered through this challenge is a love of yoga through my flexibility goal.  It's been a real treat.  I'm hoping to incorporate more of it in my next challenge and it's made me look harder at the druid class, which I'd never considered before.

I can't believe we're already halfway through!  And a level up!!

I'm doing well and sticking to my goals.  I've only missed one workout, which was Monday and I'm making it up Friday.  Strength training has moved along swimmingly.  I can do more pushups on my knees, when I started at countertop level.  My DB lift is at 18, up from 12.  As for squats and lunges, I started doing 2 sets, 10 reps.  Now I'm at 3 sets, 14 reps.

The only thing that isn't happening is weight loss, but I'm honestly not worried about it.  Things are just settling out, and my weight is staying the same, not going up.

My life goal I actually just met Monday.  I reached out to a publisher, and am now a writer for a local lifestyle magazine.  Just like that!!  Who knew making changes were really just a matter of DOING IT.

I wish I could say I'm doing well integrating into the community, but my work schedule has kept me fairly introverted.  I'm sure if I made it a better priority to support others, I'd feel it back.  Maybe I should make that my goal for next week?  Yes, yes I should.

Though I started this challenge a bit late, I'm keeping up with exercising everyday, haven't missed any workouts yet :pride:  I think the key is I do them as soon as I wake up so I'm not spending the day dreading them. Eating Paleo is coming along well and so it writing. The only think I can't seem to change is my sleeping pattern. I try and be in bed by 11pm or midnight (to start, my goal is 10pm), but I end up tossing and turning until about 4-5am. With another year of university on the way (and an 8:30am class), I need to figure this out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds like you have a bit of insomnia.  I've mostly beat this myself and have a few suggestions.

1) Avoid blue light after sundown - I recommend installing f.lux on your computer/smartphone.. it syncs with sunrise/sunset and turns the screen slightly amber at night

2) Avoid spending too much time in bed outside of sleeping (no laptop or tv watching)

3) Get out in the sunlight shortly after you wake up - maybe do part of your morning workout outside

4) Try a vitamin D supplement first thing in the morning.  Since we can get vitamin D from the sun, the body takes it as a trigger for day time and it can help set your schedule.

5) Try a magnesium supplement in the evening.  I like Calm lemon raspberry, but start off with a small amount and work up.  Most people are deficient in magesium because the soil is.  It doesn't really help me sleep so much as relax a little and aids in digestion.

6) If you can't sleep, get up and move to a different place and do something relaxing.. like go read on the couch

7) Try to keep your weekend hours the same as your weekday hours.

8) One I'm struggling with is how to have your bedroom pitch black at night and yet wake up to natural light.  I think I need a robot to open my curtains at like 4am.  For me, the light to wake up was more important so I leave my curtains open and have an alarm clock that turns on a light before making any sound.

9) Get some exercise during the day - which obviously you're already doing.. keep it up!

10) Set an alarm for getting ready for bed so the time doesn't get away from you.

Good luck.. I hope you're able to get to sleep more easily.  Let us know if anything works for you!

It's so encouraging to see everyone coming along their goals and overcoming challenges.  Way to go!

I was doing great until Sunday when I fell mountain biking.  I need to take a few days off to heal up, but then I'll be right back at it!

Goals:

Do the Basic Training workout on MWF - I was 100% on track until this week.. I've missed two and may miss Friday as well.

Walk on TR - I had to miss one of these, but plan on getting in the walk this evening

Adventure a week - Still on track here.  This week's adventure may get cut short, but I do at least have one planned.

Can I tack on a week at the end to make up for this downtime?  I'm not sure of the rules for the challenge in this area.  I plan to do it for me regardless.

I'm struggling this week due to my workload.  Darn day jobs!  I'm keeping at it though and am just a few days from reaching my goal I think! 

If I can find a way to get a video of me doing the work to prove I've reached my goal, I will.  I just have to find a way to pull that off.