Looking to change stretching routine

I'm looking to change my stretching routine with something quicker. When I chose my current routine, I was looking to be thorough in stretching all muscles, since I didn't know if I can limit myself to some muscles over others, though I still don't. Said routine contains 18 stretches which I hold for 30 seconds for each side, where it applies. The whole routine takes me about 20 minutes, and it takes some willpower to go through it every other day after an exhausting workout. To that end, can anyone suggest a routine that's simpler than what I'm doing, or more efficient? I ask on the basis that anyone on these forums who works out has a stretching routine of some kind.

- neck side flexion

- triceps stretch

- shoulder stretch

- supraspinatus stretch (top of shoulder blade)

- pectoral stretch

- biceps stretch

- lower back extension and abdominal stretch

- upper back extension

- side stretch

- hamstring stretch

- quadriceps stretch

- gluteal stretch (bottom muscle)

- adductor stretch (groin)

- hip flexor stretch (front of hip)

- tensor fascia stretch (outer hip)

- iliotibial band stretch (outer thigh)

- gastrocnemius stretch (calf)

- soleus stretch (deep calf)

If 20 minutes is the average time needed for a good stretching routine, then that knowledge in itself may help with getting through it.

Agile 8. http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html#question04

Super 6.

Or, you can just take what you do now and cut it in half, upper and lower body. Not sure you need to do all muscles every day.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Guest Carjack

Stretch what actually needs stretching.

E.g., hip flexors, chest and lats if you're a lifter, front and side splits if you're a kickboxer. Also anything that's tighter than it should be.

All the triceps, side and lat stretching you need:

Raise right arm overhead, put fingers on the base of your neck, grab elbow and bend to the left while looking forward.

Chest and biceps: Spread your arms out and elbows back. Or better yet, keep good posture in everyday life.

I always stretched my hamstrings with floor stretches and hardly felt a thing no matter how much I did them. Yesterday I decided I'm better off with the old ballet stretches, propping my leg on something in front kick and side kick positions. It makes my muscles feel nice and stretched where others do nothing or hurt like hell. I need to try a splits style stretching routine with ballet/martial arts stretches and see if that fixes my tight hamstrings.

I used to be into stretching at all possible times (sort of still am), just to cut down on the stretching time before a workout. I generally stretch whatever part of the body I know is going to be recruited most during a specific workout, just to save some time. It kinda saps your will when you're spending 10+ mins stretching prior to a workout, if you ask me.

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee

I think 20 minutes is a bit unnecessary and you may not need to do all of those stretches. 10 minutes of stretching should do it. Everyone's different though, so you may need more or less. Like lifting, concentrating on compound movements is more effective than isolation.

I used to just stretch what needed to be stretched, based on runner's stretches and yoga moves, but it's worked itself into a bit of a routine. I find when I stretch every day consistently, I don't need to spend as much time stretching each time. I stretch every day, regardless of whether I've actually worked out.

My routine:

Standing, reach arms up as high as possible, sometime with gentle circles from the hips to stretch sides, back, hips, shoulders, neck.

Standing, one arm crossed over chest, pulling gently with the other (both sides)--stretches the shoulders, arms, back.

Standing, one arm reaching over back of shoulder, one arm reaching behind, link fingertips. This is the arm position in the Cow Face Pose. It's very effective at stretching the arms, shoulders, and back.

Standing forward bend--stretches the hamstrings, calves, and decompresses the back.

Standing quad stretch, foot pulled up behind--stretches the quads and the tendons in the shins if you point your toes.

Sitting, inner hip stretch aka Cobbler's or Bound Angle Pose

Sitting, outer hip stretch like this pose with or without the twist as needed

"Figure 4" Runner's stretch--stretches the back, sides and back of legs.

Achilles stretch--one of the only isolation stretches I do, because I'm on my feet at work and prone to heel pain occasionally. This and the Plantar fascia stretch prevent that.