Spectacle Rock is an entrance to Death

History

Once upon a time I was runner.

Not a great one, but I loved it. In grade nine at my small high school, no one else wanted the mile and two-mile jobs on the track team, so I was ecstatic to get the top varsity spot. After the first track meet, I took my carefully calculated goals off the wall by my desk and threw them away. In their stead, I wrote:

1. Don't finish last in the 3200 meters
  2. Don't get lapped in the 1600 meters

I finally achieved both those goals at the second-to-last meet of the season. And I was happy.

When I was seventeen, I wondered if the trouble wasn't my lack of speed but too few laps in the race. So I entered a half-marathon. Turns out I was partly right. I won the under-19 category, beating a guy who had recently competed in his state high school track meet. I have to admit, though, he was the only other person in the age group, and his event was the 200 meters.

At age 21, I finished a full marathon, though it wasn't pretty. Still loved it despite being unable to maneuver stairs or urinate for two days.

Then came some medical problems which made a mess of things, and one day I found myself 15 years older and unable to crank out three kilometers without pain. In process of trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it, I came across Nerd Fitness. As part of my care plan, I made some significant changes to eating habits and my exercise patterns. A year later, I'm feeling better than ever.

Motivation

Framing my behaviors in terms of a video game was the event horizon which turned me around. As though I suddenly had permission to fly my nerdly Middle-Earth banner like I was welcoming Elladan and Elrohir home to Imladris.

Why had I never thought of that before? You're a genius, Kamb.

But I never checked out the forums. Never did the 6-week challenges. How much more fun would it have been? I could have been helping some fellow rebels, too.

I started lurking about them the same time I completed my culminating summer feat – a ten-mile trail run up and back down a ski resort. My goal was to average nine-minute miles. I did 8:23. As fantastic as that felt after years of fetid sluggishness, I thought of those who've stopped smoking. Lost a hundred pounds. That's impressive.

On a date with my wife soon after, we strolled through a park where preparations were underway for an Ironman Triathlon. I had a surge of excitement and fear. I counted up the sprint and Olympic triathlons I'd done over the past eight years in trying to pull myself together. Between the medical issues and failure to train well, I performed poorly in all seven of them. All! Once I was second to last of every finisher. The man I beat was 71. I hung up triathlons in embarrassment two years ago. But If I could find an Olympic now, I was sure I could be competitive for once. Because I was now a different person. A level 13 DWD, according to my version of the Epic Quest of Awesomeness. And I had just kicked my trail run goals in the teeth.

So I found and finished an Olympic triathlon, the first ever at which I had a competitive showing. But none of these new accomplishments were really new. I was doing the same old things, just doing them well.

What could I do next, heroic enough to be my version of stopping smoking or losing a hundred pounds?

Another triathlon would make nine. Level nine? As in Hyrule? Yeah!

Level Nine.

Death Mountain.

Ironman.

Main Quest

Death Mountain Gannon-Bane Ironman Triathlon in under 13 hours, June 2014

Wooden Sword – complete weeks 1-6 of running schedule

1. Olympic Tri: <3 hours                                      A         2:55:35
  2. Miles: 6           Pace: 8:00                                C         12 mile bike ride instead
  3. Miles: 4           Pace: 7:00                               
  4. Miles: 2           Pace: 6:45
  5. Miles: 4           Pace: 7:00
  6. Miles: 10         Pace: 9:00

Boomerang – complete weeks 1-6 of biking and strength schedule

1. Olympic Tri: <3 hours                                     A         2:55:35
  2. Body weight strength training, weights              A
  3. Miles: 10         Ave mph: 18                           
  4. BWST, weights
  5. Miles: 20         Ave mph: 16
  6. BWST, weights

Heart Container – Time with my family

1. Get kids up and ready four days weekly          Summer vacation until week four
  2. Home for dinner four days weekly                   A, A
  3. Weekly date night                                           A, A

Life Quest

Dungeon Key – Finish my novel

1. Review editor's notes                                       A
  2. Make changes                                                 A
  3. Beta readers week one                                   
  4. Beta readers week two
  5. Beta readers week three
  6. Final draft

Evaluation

A         As planned

B         10% slower, three days weekly

C         20% slower, two days weekly

D         30% slower, one day weekly

F          Not an option. A screenwriter had Gene Krantz say so.

DWD

Hylian Scout

DWD, This has to be one of THE most awesome openings I've had the pleasure to read! ^_^

"Framing my behaviors in terms of a video game was the event horizon which turned me around. As though I suddenly had permission to fly my nerdly Middle-Earth banner like I was welcoming Elladan and Elrohir home to Imladris."

Wow, it's like you got in my head and wrote down my thoughts!

And man, can I relate to the whole waking up years later and finding yourself unable to do what you used to do and loved. :(

You're writing a novel??!! :o

Consider me a friend and follower!! :peaceful:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I've been trying intermittent fasting with good success, but today it bit me in the face.

After skipping breakfast, I rode my mountain bike to work on a fun new trail I found. All downhill, 12 miles. Arrived at work with a huge grin!

Work got busy, and I didn't eat lunch until 2:30. At 5:30, I packed up to ride home, all uphill for ten miles. Luckily, no, wisely, I decided on the paved route. Five miles in my blood sugar fell out my shoes. I ground out the last half, fortunately the less steep half, and arrived home late (missed dinner, Heart Container #2) with wobbly legs. 

How about intermittent fasting on weight and strength days only, eh?

DWD

Hylian Scout

I've been considering the intermittent fasting. Maybe not good for cardio type days then? Hmmm.......

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

I've been considering the intermittent fasting. Maybe not good for cardio type days then? Hmmm.......

I think it was due to the anaerobic load. If I'd ridden my lighter road bike it would have been more cardio rather than hugging the anaerobic threshold for two hours. My strength training and weight day workouts take 30-45 minutes. If I'd eaten a normal lunch, I'd have been fine. I usually take granola bars or fruit leather for a ride, too. Not yesterday.

I got thinking about that C on Wooden Sword week 2. I biked instead of running because I took my nine-year-old son with me. That's a big win for Heart Container. I distilled this training program from three others with input from articles by triathlon coaches. I mixed them up specifically to minimize interference to family time. So I'm going to be a rebel and stick it to The Man, me in this case, and upgrade Wooden Sword week 2 to a B.

DWD

Hylian Scout

That's some hardcore biking!  Rawr!  I love the Heart :love_heart: Container goals! :D

I find IF so hard to do during the week because of work.  I can last between 12-14 hours for weekdays, but that's about it.  I start to get dizzy and need to munch on stuff to get blood sugar back up.

Good luck to you and have fun! :D  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Main Quest  

Death Mountain Gannon-Bane Ironman Triathlon in under 13 hours, June 2014

Week three summary. Yeah, I’m a week behind.

Wooden Sword – complete weeks 1-6 of running schedule

1.                  Olympic Tri: <3 hours                                     A         2:55:35

This was huge for me. I finished strong, not last in my age category, and only a little slower than the average for the whole race. That’s when I knew an Ironman would be really hard instead of fatal.

2.                  Miles: 6           Pace: 8:00                                B         12 mile bike ride instead

First real mountain bike ride with my nine-year-old son. He has allergies, and his skin was red like a sunburn and eyes all blood-shot, but he never complained. He was having too much fun.

3.                  Miles: 4           Pace: 7:00                                B         7:31 pace

Slower than I wanted, but it was on a gravel road with an elevation change of about 100ft every mile (30m and 0.62km for the plethora of Canadians and Aussies around here). Good enough for me!

4.                  Miles: 2           Pace: 6:45

5.                  Miles: 4           Pace: 7:00

6.                  Miles: 10         Pace: 9:00

Boomerang – complete weeks 1-6 of biking and strength schedule

1.                  Olympic Tri: <3 hours                                   A         2:55:35

2.                  Body weight strength training, weights            A

Staying healthy for an eight month training program is the most important thing right now. That’s why no numbers. The font doesn’t go small enough to reflect how easy I’m taking this part.

3.                  Miles: 10         Ave mph: 18                           B         12 mile MTB ride x2 instead

Must eat food!

4.                  BWST, weights

5.                  Miles: 20         Ave mph: 16

6.                  BWST, weights

Heart Container – Time with my family

1.                  Get kids up and ready four days weekly        Summer vacation until week four

I’m enjoying kissing little sleeping heads as I leave and not having to make breakfast. While it lasts.

2.                  Home for dinner four days weekly                  A, A, A

So far, the training time hasn’t changed any home time. I'm giving up TV time and writing time while my novel was with the editor and now the beta readers. That will change, though. I'll have to get my Scheduling Zen on.

3.                  Weekly date night                                           A, A, A

Sometimes this is only Netflix, but there are no distractions.

Life Quest

Dungeon Key – Finish my novel

1.                  Review editor's notes                                      A

Hiring an editor was worth every penny. He loved my characters and dialogue. Nice to have confirmation from a pro!

2.                  Make changes                                                A

Something was missing from the plot to make it feel complete. Mr. Editor pointed out the two mistakes I’d made to cause it. I also had some point-of-view problems I’d missed.

With the help of my laptop keyboard, I beat the rough spots smooth one tippity-tap at a time.

3.                  Beta readers week one                                    A

I’m most interested in the reaction to the first two chapters. Will the readers be hooked? Will they neglect life duties to devour each page? I’ll be ecstatic and feel just a little guilty if they do. No news yet.

4.                  Beta readers week two

5.                  Beta readers week three

6.                  Final draft

DWD

Hylian Scout

Your goals are scary organized and I am now intimidated. (lol)

But awed. THAT is some progress!

I also particularly like the 'kissing little sleeping heads and not having to make breakfast ' part. :redface:

And, I hope you have no objection to smileys because you get a Happy Dance!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Fantastic work!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

triforcePB_zps5a1e8538.jpg

Consider it granted on behalf of kiwi and myself!

Earned and given! ;)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hi everyone, I'm DWD, and I have an Oreo problem.

So I focus on the yucky abdominal sensations after I've eaten too many. Dwell in the bloat. Become the sluggish. Yoga-ize it. Wallow in the haze. Inhale from the empty bag, hoping to invoke the principle of taste aversion. Makes it easier to stop at three next time.

It's easier for all you Canadians because your Oreos are nasty.

DWD

Hylian Scout

Sounds like me and mocha coffee. <_<

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Your goals are scary organized and I am now intimidated. (lol)

But awed. THAT is some progress!

I also particularly like the 'kissing little sleeping heads and not having to make breakfast ' part. :redface:

And, I hope you have no objection to smileys because you get a Happy Dance!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Fantastic work!

I got thinking about the intimidation. I know AshPS meant to be funny, and was successful, but it made me look things over more closely. I realized what isn't visible in my goals and posts is the details of what I've overcome. I'm not comfortable discussing most of that, but what I'm really up to is holding at bay health problems that were going to ruin me. I almost died once.

Being organized is what works. Going big. It's worked so well, I've been able to change medications and stop most treatments.

I'm going to try better at coming across as intended: motivating and grateful. I'd be devastated if someone thought me boastful or arrogant.

DWD

Hylian Scout

I got thinking about the intimidation. I know AshPS meant to be funny, and was successful, but it made me look things over more closely. I realized what isn't visible in my goals and posts is the details of what I've overcome. I'm not comfortable discussing most of that, but what I'm really up to is holding at bay health problems that were going to ruin me. I almost died once.

Being organized is what works. Going big. It's worked so well, I've been able to change medications and stop most treatments.

I'm going to try better at coming across as intended: motivating and grateful. I'd be devastated if someone thought me boastful or arrogant.

DWD, I am so awesomely proud of your honesty. I can relate to the being uncomfortable with that. I don't know if you've had the chance to read thru my whole thread (I'm not sure I would advise such an epic feat) but the honesty I have tried to relate DOES NOT come easily to me. And, this is the FIRST time I have ever attempted to do such a thing.

Every time I write one of those posts I come back like a million times to delete it. But, people here have been so supportive and so encouraging about it that it makes it easier- EASIER, not particularly easy.

I've never seen anything you said as boastful or arrogant and I would love the idea of you feeling like you could be open about your struggles. That is the kind of person I can relate to and helps make it easier for me to be more open.

And, I hope you don't think I was poking fun at your organized way of doing your goals. On the contrary I am in awe! I don't feel most of the time like I relate myself nearly so well.

Oh look, now you've also just gotten your first gigantic response too, lol.

Hope this made sense, and I think it is incredible that you are making these changes to your life. ^_^

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Aww Oreo cookies...  I was thinking the other day while watching news about Oreo cookies that I cannot recall when was the last time I had one.  Fond memories, but they made me so sick :\  Totally aversive toward them now.  Hopefully your brain is registering Oreo cookies as bad cookies soon!

Yay for no oreo cookies while watching Continuum!  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Thanks for the encouragement!

I need to make a up a Rawr Dance...

That would be seriously awesome, lol!!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Yesterday:

(Now I've Beatles in my head.)

Woke up early, quiet house, got in two hours of writing. Love that! For Christmas last year, I meant to finish a comic book based on my kids as stick-figure super spies, then have it hardbound. I'm ahead of schedule to be a year late! Got breakfast for the kids, then felt like running, so I did an easy mile and a half. There was a fantastic lightning storm and the power went out last night, so I went to bed an hour early. Then, my schedule had an hour gap in it this morning. Catch-up!

I don't remember picking up the clock from a vanquished Tektite or Octorok and having everything slow down except me. I'm not going to complain, though. Easiest Monday in months!

DWD

Hylian Scout

That is a most awesome idea! Hey i think I could do stick figures, lol!

Good work going for that run! ^_^

Can I borrow that clock? :playful:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Wow!  You seem well beyond the "level 1," especially since you have been at this so long.  I agree with Ash that nothing in your posts sounds boastful.  Your gratitude comes across.  I love your "heart" goals especially!  You are definitely an inspiration for the rest of us just getting started.  Love the formatting on your quest, might steal something like it for future challenges.

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines