• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I have a good 100 libras to drop to really be competitive at all. My biggest motivation is one that pisses me off, my younger cousin put up 405 on bench at a weight of only 170lbs. Can't let him be stronger than me...just can't. Alright, I'll test out tomorrow and see where I'm at. I'll hit The big 3+1.

So, do I take 3 attempts at OHP as well?

I have a good 100 libras to drop to really be competitive at all. My biggest motivation is one that pisses me off, my younger cousin put up 405 on bench at a weight of only 170lbs. Can't let him be stronger than me...just can't. Alright, I'll test out tomorrow and see where I'm at. I'll hit The big 3+1.

Yep. That's a monster bench at any weight! No one on the site has done that one yet.

Ya. When I did big3+OHP+oly lifts in May I only did 2 attempts though because I was running out of time. It would have seriously taken over 3 hours if I had done a good warm up then all 3 attempts for all 6 lifts with full rest between.

Yep. That's a monster bench at any weight! No one on the site has done that one yet.

How long are you into training? You can't be more than a year or 2 from 400. At very best right now I might be able to hit 225. I spent a lot of time not benching because my separated shoulder would stick. Not letting it stop me anymore.

Ya. When I did big3+OHP+oly lifts in May I only did 2 attempts though because I was running out of time. It would have seriously taken over 3 hours if I had done a good warm up then all 3 attempts for all 6 lifts with full rest between.

Damn, yeah I don't want to spend 3 hours.  I might put in 2 hours. Hopefully taking 10-15 minutes between attempts.

How long are you into training? You can't be more than a year or 2 from 400. At very best right now I might be able to hit 225. I spent a lot of time not benching because my separated shoulder would stick. Not letting it stop me anymore.

Damn, yeah I don't want to spend 3 hours.  I might put in 2 hours. Hopefully taking 10-15 minutes between attempts.

It'll be 2 years in November since I started Stronglifts and couldn't squat 195 to depth a single time. My bench has been the slowest progressing, I just hit 305 in May and 295 TnG this past week after starting around 240 1RM. I hope to one day hit 405, but H=honestly don't plan on doing too much further than that. End goal is 600/400/700. I have no conerns on getting there with squat and deadlift, bench has a long way to go.

Each lift took me right around 45minutes, 15 minutes of warming up, light weight stuff, 5 minute break til first attempt, then 10 minutes between attempts and 5 minutes moving stuff to the next lift.

Fixed for ya.

Thanks. My standards haven't risen that far, but I'm sure they will once my bench gets closer to 1.5x BW.

Ok, my results are posted. I wanted to hit every attempt since this was my first time, but I ended up missing my last deadlift. It was the last thing I did for the day, so I was pretty tired and not too bummed about it. I feel like I could have gotten the weight under optimal conditions.

Ok, my results are posted. I wanted to hit every attempt since this was my first time, but I ended up missing my last deadlift. It was the last thing I did for the day, so I was pretty tired and not too bummed about it. I feel like I could have gotten the weight under optimal conditions.

Ah welcome to the worderful world of competition strategy :D

First comp ever - even if they arent in the great scheme of things, they were good numbers for me :) all pbs. Have just posted my results.

Missed my last bench attempt - a trainer tried to tell me that arching my back is wrong and tried to put a bosu ball at the end of the bench to put my feet on. Think it got me a little too worked up. I think im strong enough to get this, just lost my form!

Very happy though!

First comp ever - even if they arent in the great scheme of things, they were good numbers for me :) all pbs. Have just posted my results.

Missed my last bench attempt - a trainer tried to tell me that arching my back is wrong and tried to put a bosu ball at the end of the bench to put my feet on. Think it got me a little too worked up. I think im strong enough to get this, just lost my form!

Very happy though!

Wow, powerlifters everywhere have been doing it wrong then. 

Wow, powerlifters everywhere have been doing it wrong then. 

Yep - i quote "Powerlifters & Crossfitter's form sucks. Its dangerous"

when i politely declined his response was "ok, well i'll be here when you seriously injure yourself"

Read 'em and weep ladies and gentlemen

Sept 12th, 2013 @ Coworker's Home Gym 

Body Weight  125# - 56.8kg

Bench 110# - 49.9kg - +10 to PR (as far as I can tell) 

OHP 80# - 36.6kg - one giant PR

Deadlift 210 # - 95.3kg +15lbs to PR

Squat 160# - 72.6kg +25lbs to PR

Not too shabby for someone who started barbell training in June! I am sore this morning!  :) I was pretty excited to see what my numbers would be and have actual-for keeps 1RMs for the first time ever! This was the first time I've pushed to failure on these lifts. It was a very interesting experience. My co-worker is pretty knowledgeable and could tell what part of the lift I was struggling with and made specific suggestions to correct to. (I suppose this is what a trainer does, now I get it). On the bench I tried for 115 twice and couldn't do it. Truth fully on the OHP I really had to push press to hit 80#. I cleaned 85# and 95# was so close but I put it too far in front of me and couldn't get under it. Dead lift - it just flew up! Totally not true. Squat was interesting, my co-worker didn't know what to do with me. "You have really nice form, I'm not going to let you use it" We set the fail bar high so I couldn't go much past parallel. I tried for 165# twice but just couldn't.

Holy, crap. Imma gonna be staring at my numbers all day.  :D 

Yay! Next challenge please! 

Very happy though!

I remember my first time. I was so sore after... Great job on ignoring the "trainer". Anyone who wants to put a bosu ball under your feet without an extremely good reason (foot suport not being one, use block or at worst aerobic steps) during a bench press is worth ignoring.

Read 'em and weep ladies and gentlemen

Sept 12th, 2013 @ Coworker's Home Gym 

Body Weight  125# - 56.8kg

Bench 110# - 49.9kg - +10 to PR (as far as I can tell) 

OHP 80# - 36.6kg - one giant PR

Deadlift 210 # - 95.3kg +15lbs to PR

Squat 160# - 72.6kg +25lbs to PR

Not too shabby for someone who started barbell training in June! I am sore this morning!  :) I was pretty excited to see what my numbers would be and have actual-for keeps 1RMs for the first time ever! This was the first time I've pushed to failure on these lifts. It was a very interesting experience. My co-worker is pretty knowledgeable and could tell what part of the lift I was struggling with and made specific suggestions to correct to. (I suppose this is what a trainer does, now I get it). On the bench I tried for 115 twice and couldn't do it. Truth fully on the OHP I really had to push press to hit 80#. I cleaned 85# and 95# was so close but I put it too far in front of me and couldn't get under it. Dead lift - it just flew up! Totally not true. Squat was interesting, my co-worker didn't know what to do with me. "You have really nice form, I'm not going to let you use it" We set the fail bar high so I couldn't go much past parallel. I tried for 165# twice but just couldn't.

Holy, crap. Imma gonna be staring at my numbers all day.  :D 

Yay! Next challenge please! 

Nice! Not too far to a bodyweight bench! And closing in on 2x BW deadlift!

LoL, "I'm not gonna let you use it". I think I agree, but I'm not positive. It depends on how much power you get from the bounce at the bottom, which doesn't occur for you until your ass is almost on the floor, so you would have to move the bar a whole lot more distance and it probably wouldn't be worth it.

So I really want to compete in this Fall Brawl, but being in the process of moving has absolutly destroyed any chance of getting to the gym for me for last week and this week. Plus I jsut started my lifting again. When is the next lifting comp going to be?

So I really want to compete in this Fall Brawl, but being in the process of moving has absolutly destroyed any chance of getting to the gym for me for last week and this week. Plus I jsut started my lifting again. When is the next lifting comp going to be?

January 11-26.

I remember my first time. I was so sore after... Great job on ignoring the "trainer". Anyone who wants to put a bosu ball under your feet without an extremely good reason (foot suport not being one, use block or at worst aerobic steps) during a bench press is worth ignoring.

Nice! Not too far to a bodyweight bench! And closing in on 2x BW deadlift!

LoL, "I'm not gonna let you use it". I think I agree, but I'm not positive. It depends on how much power you get from the bounce at the bottom, which doesn't occur for you until your ass is almost on the floor, so you would have to move the bar a whole lot more distance and it probably wouldn't be worth it.

He suggested front squat all the way down, back squat to parallel. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. Also, I forgot to mention I tried the arching bench press and it is a lot to think about all at once. 

Well done! I am very very impressed with your progress since SSS! 

Trust me, no one is as impressed as me. Luckily I live alone because damn!!! I don't think anyone can stand me right now. 

He suggested front squat all the way down, back squat to parallel. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. Also, I forgot to mention I tried the arching bench press and it is a lot to think about all at once. 

F that shit. It's do both all the way down and practice heavy singles/doubles/triples just below parallel as competition nears for competition purposes. It's the same rule for bench press, do touch and go most of the time and just practice heavy pauses leading up to the comp or once a week.

And yeah, it token me months to get comfortable with arching while benching. It's a ton to think about and I'm still not quite there.

F that shit. It's do both all the way down and practice heavy singles/doubles/triples just below parallel as competition nears for competition purposes. It's the same rule for bench press, do touch and go most of the time and just practice heavy pauses leading up to the comp or once a week.

And yeah, it token me months to get comfortable with arching while benching. It's a ton to think about and I'm still not quite there.

you're talkin' in riddles there Gains 

Are we allowed to do warm up sets when starting a new lift or do we do only get our 3 attemps?

In other words :

After my 3 squat attempts, can I do any warming up for bench press or do I just go straight into my 3 attempts?