• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hugh

Lightsaber Combat (forms I - VII)

I'm so glad someone made this topic!

I have been interested in lightsaber combat as a form of Martial art for some time. In fact, since this summer i've been looking into ordering parts to make myself a custom lightsaber (made and carved from pvc LED light and polycarbonate tubing for the blade).

Great!  Glad to see another Force-user join the party!  

Might I make 2 recommendations: 1) check out the Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy, or any one of several others around the world (including this thread), for some really good training material; and 2) don't use PVC for a combat-ready saber!  It'll break.  If all you want is something to swing around and look cool, PVC is great, but I've yet to see a PVC saber stand up to the abuse full-on sparring can dish out.  Though admittedly I am still relatively new to all this.  

Great!  Glad to see another Force-user join the party!  

Might I make 2 recommendations: 1) check out the Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy, or any one of several others around the world (including this thread), for some really good training material; and 2) don't use PVC for a combat-ready saber!  It'll break.  If all you want is something to swing around and look cool, PVC is great, but I've yet to see a PVC saber stand up to the abuse full-on sparring can dish out.  Though admittedly I am still relatively new to all this.  

It's more on the grounds that PVC is the available material for me, metal is pretty expensive and, perhaps harder to carve using a rotary tool. Just to clarify, the hilt is made out of PVC not the blade, which i'll be ordering from the customs saber shop. Also there probably won't be anyone in my area to spar with anyway, so a PVC stuntsaber should be just fine for training.

It's more on the grounds that PVC is the available material for me, metal is pretty expensive and, perhaps harder to carve using a rotary tool. Just to clarify, the hilt is made out of PVC not the blade, which i'll be ordering from the customs saber shop. Also there probably won't be anyone in my area to spar with anyway, so a PVC stuntsaber should be just fine for training.

Yea if you're just training with it and not sparring, you should have a winner.  PVC is definitely easier to customize too.  Just didn't want you to go to the trouble of making one then have it break during your first couple matches.  

Just out of curiosity, what kind of bodyweight exercises does staged combat require you to do in order to be fit for the stage? 

I am not qualified to answer, so take this with a massive grain of salt. 

I would guess that staged combat requires mainly endurance and core strength.  You're not actually hitting people, so you don't need powerful blows, but core strength to stop the blade short of actually hitting your target would be good.  And endurance to be able to repeat a scene several times back-to-back.  

I am not qualified to answer, so take this with a massive grain of salt. 

I would guess that staged combat requires mainly endurance and core strength.  You're not actually hitting people, so you don't need powerful blows, but core strength to stop the blade short of actually hitting your target would be good.  And endurance to be able to repeat a scene several times back-to-back.  

makes sense, especially the core part.

I don't have any knowledge on swordfighting but would be really interested in lightsaber combat. Maybe I should start getting myself more informed on this so that I can actually do this when there is more on the forms. I am definitely going to keep following this topic

I don't have any knowledge on swordfighting but would be really interested in lightsaber combat. Maybe I should start getting myself more informed on this so that I can actually do this when there is more on the forms. I am definitely going to keep following this topic

Also, check out Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy.  https://sites.google.com/site/terraprimelightsaberacademy  They're on Facebook too.  I know there are several other schools out there as well.  Just this is the one I'm most familiar with, and yes, am currently a student of.  Naturally, I'm a little biased, but I really like it.  

If you find another school you prefer more, by all means let us know! 

EDIT: for some reason URL tags don't work here?  What should I use?  HTML?

• Like 1

Quick question to give life to this thread:

If i decide to train with Terra prime, during my bulk phase, will i have to increase my calorie consumption to make up for the cardio during drill practice?

I'm thinking i could do it at my local YMCA in the studio with a Kendo stick (until i build my own),i know there's a guy training in there with Tonfa's  :cool-new:

Quick question to give life to this thread:

If i decide to train with Terra prime, during my bulk phase, will i have to increase my calorie consumption to make up for the cardio during drill practice?

I'm thinking i could do it at my local YMCA in the studio with a Kendo stick (until i build my own),i know there's a guy training in there with Tonfa's  :cool-new:

I'm no personal trainer, but logically, I would guess the answer is yes.  Presumably you'll be doing the extra lightsaber work in addition to lifting, so it stands to reason that you would need more calories than if you were only lifting. 

Nice to see someone else checking it out!  I know there's a few guys using broom handles until they save up money for a saber, so a Kendo stick should work fine I would think.  

Have a google  for Ludo sport ,its a big light saber martial sport system with ranks and compations , apprently fairly big in Italy , they Just open a school in the uk and they have on in Ireland

• Like 1

Have a google  for Ludo sport ,its a big light saber martial sport system with ranks and compations , apprently fairly big in Italy , they Just open a school in the uk and they have on in Ireland

They've done a little bit of cross-ocean stuff with TPLA as well.  Not a lot, given the huge distance between them, but there's definitely been some communication between the two.  Ludosport is definitely a fantastic option for those close enough to them to take advantage of it.  

• Like 1