• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PlatypusGarden

PlatypusGarden digging in

Hi! Joining late but looking to level up. I've not introduced myself anywhere else (analysis paralysis-always terrified of what "exactly" to write!) so I'll start here. I'm a 28 y/o female with an awesome husband, 3 awesome cats and a live-in, older MIL. I work for a printing company and help compose those financial books you probably pitch in the garbage the second you're done skimming them. I don't blame you.

After talking myself into giving a good visit to the NF boards I read the new challenger posts, got mega excited and signed up before I could consider any other options. About my prior healthy attempts: I quit a lot of interesting opportunities in school (cross country running, marching band, stage crew, etc) because "they were too hard". No, I was too unmotivated to make it a priority. So, I struggled with my weight through high school, 2 years of technical school, several more years of a crappy, stressful job and even more crappy, stressful relationship. Long story short I changed jobs, later left the crappy relationship behind and met Awesome Husband. One of the saddest moments looking back at my Change Myself history is that I could not find the right motivation to get my weight down for our wedding. I would look at myself in the mirror and wonder why I couldn't get myself together for one of the biggest events in my life? I joined a gym but half-assed it on the treadmill while still coming home, taking a sleeping pill (big surprise I didn't sleep well either) and wolfing down 3 bagels without realizing it until later. Spoiler Alert: I continued to gain weight up until our wedding. I didn't start searching out the motivation to change my weight until this year as we are now ready to expand our family (the cats are great but they're kinda lazy and aren't real awesome for continuing the family name). I knew I had to find something. If I couldn't lose weight for myself I had to do it for our future baby. I began a close to paleo eating change at the end of April and have kicked about 20 pounds out the door. 

Before I put you to sleep, or another post, here is my Main Quest and Side Quest:

Main Quest: Become a Stronger, Swifter, Good Example

One of my biggest downfalls, and stumbling blocks to healthy eating is lack of sleep. I am aiming for 7.5 hours minimum of sleep per night by having lights out by 10:30 p.m. Sunday-Friday. Saturday will be 12:30. 

Grading System: A=follow prescribed times 6 days or more

B=follow prescribed time 5 days or less

C=follow prescribed time 4 days or less

D=follow prescribed time 3 days or less

F=follow prescribed time 2 days or less

I have decided I really like the Angry Birds workout; it is about as no excuses as you can get. I will do this 3x per week, optimally Monday, Wednesday, Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday I will continue to walk for 29 minutes/run for 1 minute with the aim to increase run time/decrease walk time by 1 additional minute each week.

Grading System: A=Complete all 5 workouts

B=Complete 4/5 workouts

C=Complete 3/5 workouts

D=Complete 2/5 workouts

F=Complete 1 or less workouts scheduled

Life Quest: This will fall outside the time frame of this challenge but...during this challenge I will sign up for a 6 week ballroom dancing class being offered by my community beginning in November. The idea totally freaks me out as I am not comfortable doing such things in public. Our wedding guests were lucky they got a dance; LOL. J/K...I think.

Grading System: A=Sign up for the darn class!

F=Didn't even sign up for a darn class!

I will be uploading measurements and photos in the next 24 hours. Looking forward to rocking the challenge (even if in abbreviated form!).

Welcome, and congratulations on your progress so far!

Ballroom dancing sounds like an excellent idea - I'm a great believer in finding a form of exercise that you actually like, rather than one that you have to make yourself do.  I'd imagine that most people in the class will too busy watching their own feet (or trying not to watch their own feet) to notice or make judgements about anyone else.  Is your husband signing up too - would be a good thing to do together, perhaps....

I am hoping to involve my husband. He works second shift (when the class would be taking place). I am trying to persuade him to adjust his hours for that one night of the week to come with me. If it can't be done I'm sure it will still be a great time.

Congratulations and good luck. Finding nerd fitness has helped me a lot the best part of the challenges for me are the accountability groups. The gurine brigade is always open. You can join us if you want. hero is the leader and is fantastic.

Have fun with ballroom dancing it sounds like fun. I hope your husband gets to go

Wow, they aren't kidding about the awesome support of the NF community. I feel like this will be a great fit :)

So, here are promised stats (a little later than 24 hours...):

Chest: 39"

Waist: 37.75"

Hips: 45"

Arm: 13"

Thigh: 25.5"

Calf: 16

I have pics to upload but file sizes are too big. Any suggestions?????

Saturday night-my first night- I did well and got to bed by 12:30! Awesome!

Tonight I'm a few minutes past my 10:30 goal (scurrying off very soon; it's just so hard to say goodnight to my night owl husband for the week :(  ). Tomorrow night I will need to start a few minutes earlier so I can tuck in at 10:30.

Good night, All!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on joining the challenge! You have great goals and it sounds like you have great motivation. I hope that you are able to get your husband on board (though I understand the challenges of the 2nd shift), it is great to have a source of accountability and encouragement at home.

I totally feel you with the needing to get to bed earlier, perhaps that will be a goal of mine for a future challenge. For me I end up staying up too late (like I am now  :playful: ) because I have two kids and want to maximize my kid free time, but alas I need to ensure that I am getting ample amount of sleep as well!

I love your life goal, sounds fun and gets you moving in a different way than hitting the gym.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Hi and congrats on your new quest! I am brand new here too  :pride:  and just trying to get to know a few members and join in the morale! I think its so awesome when you find a real drive to push you through challenges. You go girl!  I have been myself quite a slacker when it comes to physical activity these last 4 years (when I became pregnant with my first and only boy) I have moved around so much and been so tired I finally decided my sluggishness in now not from staying up all night with a little kid, but rather my sad and static lifestyle. Well FORGET THAT! lol yeah I've known this for a while, but just found this site like a week ago and decided yeah, I can do this. I really look forward to cheering each other on. 

Oh I too am trying to get my hubby to do some of this with me. :)

Congratulations on joining the challenge! You have great goals and it sounds like you have great motivation. I hope that you are able to get your husband on board (though I understand the challenges of the 2nd shift), it is great to have a source of accountability and encouragement at home.

I totally feel you with the needing to get to bed earlier, perhaps that will be a goal of mine for a future challenge. For me I end up staying up too late (like I am now  :playful: ) because I have two kids and want to maximize my kid free time, but alas I need to ensure that I am getting ample amount of sleep as well!

I love your life goal, sounds fun and gets you moving in a different way than hitting the gym.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Hi and congrats on your new quest! I am brand new here too  :pride:  and just trying to get to know a few members and join in the morale! I think its so awesome when you find a real drive to push you through challenges. You go girl!  I have been myself quite a slacker when it comes to physical activity these last 4 years (when I became pregnant with my first and only boy) I have moved around so much and been so tired I finally decided my sluggishness in now not from staying up all night with a little kid, but rather my sad and static lifestyle. Well FORGET THAT! lol yeah I've known this for a while, but just found this site like a week ago and decided yeah, I can do this. I really look forward to cheering each other on. 

Oh I too am trying to get my hubby to do some of this with me. :)

I'm so new to forums and how they work it's downright sad. So if my "quote" attempts look weird I'm sorry!!!! 

Thank you both for your support. It sounds like I will have my work cut out for me once we have the baby in our lives. OMG! Where did my sleep go???

Gneiss Assassin: I found the site back in June and just have now mustered up some courage to join. Yay you for diving right in! You'll totally rock the challenge.

Wndrwmn009: I know how you feel and I don't have kids yet. Having a MIL that needs some attention, plus running a house has its own magical way of sucking my energy away. Especially since I make a cushion of gym time for me between work and home. When bedtime comes I feel like a little kid protesting just because I don't wanna! I'm not tired! (Really-you believe me right? LOL)

Today's progress: 

I started the Angry Birds work out. I did no squats yet; I found that I need to work on doing proper hip hinging first. (Sad goose egg star for this one...but I've already been taught-painfully-that form is king).

It took me 7 sets to get my 40 knee push ups done. 0 Stars for me; looking forward to changing that!

4 sets for 60 seconds worth of planking. 1 Star for that; not bad but I want moar starz!

2 sets for 30 dumbbell rows with 10 lb weight. 3 Stars!!!

Off to get ready for bed now. There's work to be done tomorrow on a full night of sleep!

Your name makes me think of the Beatles. And Phineas and Ferb. Two of my favorite things!

I'm terrible at coming up with user names. So, I combined two things I love. Gardening is a recent love but I have always had a weird passion for platypi. I even have a tattoo of one. His name is Oliver  :rapture:

It's a 2 for 1 post sale! 

So, today I hopped on over to the gym after work and hit the treadmill for 30 minutes with a 1 minute jog interval for every 5 minutes (not including 5 min warm up and cool down). Even recovering from a back injury I can feel all of my prior progress boosting me up and helping me to go faster. The 1 minute intervals now feel like a breeze. I remember-not so long ago-thinking that the 30 second intervals were going to kill me. Glad we got that over with. I'm pretty darn excited to bump that number up next week.

I'm finding that I really want to be outside. There is a limit to finding somewhere to change before an afternoon outing and I don't consider going home first as an option. Even "just to change". Too much temptation plus MIL has occasional emotional bursts that I choose not to face without first having an exercise buffer-or any buffer really. The best option sounds like I need to switch to the morning for my workouts. That way I can be dressed and give my day a kick in the butt without the excuse factor. Not too mention it will be getting darker, earlier so I can see myself using that if I want to be outdoors.

Here is the 2nd half of the post: I think I made my "before" pic the right size to upload. Hoping I get this right...

post-19997-0-05316400-1377651442_thumb.j

Good job with the early sleep last night, I actually went to lay down to watch a movie i bed with my son at 8:45 and fell asleep shortly after. Wasn't my plan but man do I feel good this morning! BTW I am very new at posting things too and I'm still trying to work out how to respond to multiple posts. I'll probably confuse myself and others here while trying to respond to the right comments..

P.S. I did get to bed by 10:30 last night!

So, today I hopped on over to the gym after work and hit the treadmill for 30 minutes with a 1 minute jog interval for every 5 minutes (not including 5 min warm up and cool down). Even recovering from a back injury I can feel all of my prior progress boosting me up and helping me to go faster. The 1 minute intervals now feel like a breeze. I remember-not so long ago-thinking that the 30 second intervals were going to kill me. Glad we got that over with. I'm pretty darn excited to bump that number up next week.

Awesome job! I have been kicking around the idea of doing treadmill intervals and need to get on it. We don't have a treadmill here at home, but at the fitness center where we live, so I just need to ensure that my hubby is around to watch the kids so I can try it out!

Great job with the getting to bed early, I know it is so easy to just stay up late and do what you want. Funny that it takes dedication and will power to get to bed early! 

You are doing awesome, keep up the good work!

Good job with the early sleep last night, I actually went to lay down to watch a movie i bed with my son at 8:45 and fell asleep shortly after. Wasn't my plan but man do I feel good this morning! BTW I am very new at posting things too and I'm still trying to work out how to respond to multiple posts. I'll probably confuse myself and others here while trying to respond to the right comments..

Aren't unexpected good nights of sleep the best? If we keep it up we can maybe make a habit of "on time for bedtime" on purpose?  :onthego:

Great job with the getting to bed early, I know it is so easy to just stay up late and do what you want. Funny that it takes dedication and will power to get to bed early! 

You are doing awesome, keep up the good work!

Thanks Wndrwmn009! 

I spent so many years of insisting I was only a night owl that I tend to be the childish type when it comes to bed time. I can buckle down and do it but I have many more nights where I feel like I've done everything I'm supposed to do but not everything I want to do. That is another side habit of early bedtimes: making sure to carve out a little goof off time so I don't feel denied.

Updates, updates, updates....

Yesterday morning I spent about 10 minutes on hip hinging. That seems to be coming along well but I need a bit more practice. Then in the afternoon I hit the gym for the rest of my Angry Birds workout.

40 Knee Push ups done in 4 sets - 1 Star!!! :tiger:

30 one arm rows per arm took 3 sets with 15 lb weights - 2 stars! Not bad for higher weight plus having done them right after planks  :topsy_turvy:

60 seconds worth of planks: 3 sets - 2 Stars!! 

Looks like I'm moving up in my collection of stars. Yay, me!

Last night, though, I did something a little uncharacteristic of me. A dear friend just bought me and Husband a new copy of Skyrim- the legendary edition. I am by no means a video game geek. My level of skills maxed out at Super Mario for the original Nintendo Game Boy (yes, by original I mean the one with the green screen- no colors here). So, I popped it in the PS3 and completely geeked out. I only "meant" to play for 30 minutes so I could get to bed on time. I played for over an hour- not sure if I hit the 90 minute range. I got to sleep by 11.  :concern:

As for tonight I did not get my run/walk in (another reason to shift this to the AM). I got a call at work-MIL had taken a spill and was in the hospital. I am at home with her now making sure she's OK while Husband is at work. I took two 15-20 minute walks while at work though so I still got some movement in. I'm hoping she recovers quickly.

I sure hope your MIL is okay. 

Thanks Wndrwmn009! 

I spent so many years of insisting I was only a night owl that I tend to be the childish type when it comes to bed time. I can buckle down and do it but I have many more nights where I feel like I've done everything I'm supposed to do but not everything I want to do. That is another side habit of early bedtimes: making sure to carve out a little goof off time so I don't feel denied.

Ya, this is me.  I don't want to go to bed it's no fun.  I am typing at 11:00 at night thinking I would like to take a bubble bath instead of go to bed.  Silly choice, but much more fun, anyway we'll see what happens.  Congrats on all of the stars. 

The start of this challenge was my first time using forums to, the great thing about these is nobody has cared how bad I have messed it up yet.

Good luck with your morning workouts :redface-new:   They are the best way for me to get things done, but 5:45 comes awful early.  Night (okay so you helped me give up the bath for one night and GO TO BED :indecisiveness:    Thanks :moon:

I am totally a Nintendo girl! We don't have a Wii, but I love the 64 and play the Cube as well (neither very often). 

Hope you are getting your Zzzz's in! I actually took a cue from you and took my tush bed at 8:45 and read for a bit before going to sleep. For once I felt like I got plenty of sleep! And here I am now still awake at 11:30!

Hope your MIL is doing okay and proud of you for getting some exercise in with all the obstacles that were coming your way! Way to go!

Aren't unexpected good nights of sleep the best? If we keep it up we can maybe make a habit of "on time for bedtime" on purpose?  :onthego:

Yes!! All we have to do is keep reminding ourselves how goooooooooooooooood it feels. ;)

Updates, updates, updates....

Yesterday morning I spent about 10 minutes on hip hinging. That seems to be coming along well but I need a bit more practice. Then in the afternoon I hit the gym for the rest of my Angry Birds workout.

40 Knee Push ups done in 4 sets - 1 Star!!! :tiger:

30 one arm rows per arm took 3 sets with 15 lb weights - 2 stars! Not bad for higher weight plus having done them right after planks  :topsy_turvy:

60 seconds worth of planks: 3 sets - 2 Stars!! 

Looks like I'm moving up in my collection of stars. Yay, me!

Last night, though, I did something a little uncharacteristic of me. A dear friend just bought me and Husband a new copy of Skyrim- the legendary edition. I am by no means a video game geek. My level of skills maxed out at Super Mario for the original Nintendo Game Boy (yes, by original I mean the one with the green screen- no colors here). So, I popped it in the PS3 and completely geeked out. I only "meant" to play for 30 minutes so I could get to bed on time. I played for over an hour- not sure if I hit the 90 minute range. I got to sleep by 11.  :concern:

As for tonight I did not get my run/walk in (another reason to shift this to the AM). I got a call at work-MIL had taken a spill and was in the hospital. I am at home with her now making sure she's OK while Husband is at work. I took two 15-20 minute walks while at work though so I still got some movement in. I'm hoping she recovers quickly.

You're doing so good! Oh and speaking of Skyrim... Oblivion was my downfall. I'm afraid to know how many hours in a row I've spent playing that game. How many sacrifices were made...O geez. Yeah well my son got his hands on that disc and jacked it up good so I've been holding out on buying another used copy and finishing it. And then there's Skyrim..

I hope your MIL is doing better! That's unfortunate she had a fall. Sometimes life simply gets in the way with our plans, but good for you for doing what you can and fitting in those extra walks!! We just have to be creative and do what we can and not worry about the details. Keep up the great work!!

I sure hope your MIL is okay. 

Ya, this is me.  I don't want to go to bed it's no fun.  I am typing at 11:00 at night thinking I would like to take a bubble bath instead of go to bed.  Silly choice, but much more fun, anyway we'll see what happens.  Congrats on all of the stars. 

The start of this challenge was my first time using forums to, the great thing about these is nobody has cared how bad I have messed it up yet.

Good luck with your morning workouts :redface-new:   They are the best way for me to get things done, but 5:45 comes awful early.  Night (okay so you helped me give up the bath for one night and GO TO BED :indecisiveness:    Thanks :moon:

MIL is doing "better". Her walking ability is up and down. Turns out the cause had been a UTI- I didn't realize how much they could mess up in older people. She is also struggling with not seeing effects of new medication she was put on for depression/anxiety. I'm wondering if this infection had been lurking and possibly impacting the ability of the meds to work?

I'm glad I could inspire you to go to bed. LOL 

Thanks for your support for me. I'm loving having an "extra" community to communicate with.

I am totally a Nintendo girl! We don't have a Wii, but I love the 64 and play the Cube as well (neither very often). 

Hope you are getting your Zzzz's in! I actually took a cue from you and took my tush bed at 8:45 and read for a bit before going to sleep. For once I felt like I got plenty of sleep! And here I am now still awake at 11:30!

Hope your MIL is doing okay and proud of you for getting some exercise in with all the obstacles that were coming your way! Way to go!

Thanks for the support! I totally need it. 

I didn't have any systems between the Game Boy and the PS3. I had thought about a Wii but never felt like putting up the money for it. We wouldn't have the PS3 either if it hadn't been a gift. Believe it or not my husband has a small Pacman arcade game that may actually be older than I am  :playful:

I missed two nights in a row of getting to bed when I said I would. Thursday I stayed up later so that I could be up in case MIL needed anything. Friday was just sheer defiance.....  :grey:  Saturday night I pushed myself to make sure I got in bed by my set 12:30 time. I need a little push to go tonight because of it being Labor Day weekend. That want to stay up and "hang" will surely be nagging at me.