Ran for 40 minutes straight without puking!

About 2 weeks ago I suddenly realised that I'm signed up for a Tough Mudder on September 21st and haven't done any training (outside of my daily 9.5 mile commute by bicycle.)

I'm incredibly happy to say that after 1.5 weeks of practising at treadmills, on Friday I climbed on the treadmill and doubled my previous "time spent continuously running" PR from 20minutes to 40minutes. Finally nailed a 5k after a year and a half of wanting to be able to do it, and I'm incredibly proud of myself :)

Next stop: Sub-30min 5k I guess :)

Cyberdildonics || Half-Orc || Level 3 Ranger

STR 5.5 || DEX 3.5 || STA 7 || CON 7 || WIS 8.5 || CHA 6

"Train like your stronger, fitter evil-twin is plotting to kill you."

Way to go! When is your Tough Mudder event? I look forward to hearing about how it goes for you. It is something I have on my radar screen and am interested in hearing from people who have done it. 

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

September 21st! The friend I'm running it with has done it before, and describes it as "running a bit, queuing a bit, then doing an obstacle and running a bit, etc" so I figure being able to run 5k gives me a bit of a jump on it, but we'll see. One of the staff from my gym is doing it too, and he just went "Yeah, I'm not doing any cardio training. I hate running." but he's fit as hell so he can probably get away with it :)

All I need now is to keep on my bodyweight routine for the next month and then it should be reasonably doable :o

Well done!  Though I think the Tough Mudder is slightly longer than 5k.  

Yes, a tough mudder is more than 10 miles (so a 16k at least).  However, and this is a big issue: the distance between obstacles is around half a mile.  So distance training is not what you want to focus on.  You really need to do some strength training.  My recommendation would be to drop distance for shorter runs immediately followed by body weight exercises.  You're going to need to hoist yourself over, under, and around all manner of obstacles.  Plus, the terrain you will be covering is another matter entirely.  It won't be smooth and even like at treadmill or the street.

My personal experience is from doing a Warrior Dash which is a much easier 5k with obstacles. Climbing 20' walls, vaulting over chest-high walls, crawling for 40 yards under barbed wire, etc will wear you out.  I made a 6-week plan that started out with trail running over very rugged terrain (big hills, rocks, etc).  Then, I switched to running to parks, climbing all over the jungle gym, and then running back.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Currently I just get 50 mins at lunch at the gym, so I spend 20-30 mins on the treadmill and do 20-30 mins bodyweight stuff (pushups, assisted pullups, hanging knee raises, mountain climbers, burpees, etc). The treadmill work is just because I have never had to run in my life, and the first time I got on it I thought I was going to die. I'm switching to 2 day distance training and 2 day intervals from next week, but because I have 2 days not at work next week, they will be spent running around the woods at the back of my house instead. I'm trying to get in the habit of running around there twice a week, but by the time I get home from work (40 minutes cycling basically constantly uphill) I no longer want to move.

The distance training is mostly just because a/ I'd quite like to be able to run (for when the zombies come) and b/ the weight is melting off of me in all the best places and it's glorious <3

Awesome! I'm really terrible at running. Did the warrior dash a couple years back and I was soooooo thankful to hit the obstacles just so I could NOT run for a minute or two.

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Atta girl! Realizing those milestones is amazing, right? It especially helps when you have some motivation ;-).

Can't wait to hear your next woot!

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Cyber... I am so insanely jelly!!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move