Hey girly! I'm glad to see the progress you're making in doing your circuits! The knee push ups are called modified push ups. Lunges and squats are tricky cause they both can cause knee pain if performed incorrectly. I personally hate lunges but they're good for keeping your balance and strengthening your lower body. With the dumbbell rows make sure you're following correct form and keeping your arms close to your body. You don't want any shoulder rotation, think of it like there's a pulley above you that's pulling your arm up in a straight line. If you feel like you can move on to doing a third circuit by all means move on! You can keep doing modified push ups and planks since the upper body tends to take longer to see noticeable strength gains. Just keep doing as many regular push ups with good form as you can and once your form starts to suffer switch to modified push ups. It's what I'm currently doing with my push ups and either way the muscles are getting worked and more practice with the movement.

Love the motivations you've listed and your parents participation. It's good to have accountability in the forums as well as real life :-). I highly suggest doing circumference measurements and using before and after photos. You don't have to hate the stats/photos until you're comfortable with doing so, but they're a really good way to see if you're making progress or not.

I'm looking forward to the next challenge as well as having you two keeping me honest. We're in this together :-)

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Your rivalry with lunges greatly amuses me. Mostly because I remember being the same, and still am to some degree :tongue:

I am somewhat relieved :D

With the dumbbell rows make sure you're following correct form and keeping your arms close to your body. You don't want any shoulder rotation, think of it like there's a pulley above you that's pulling your arm up in a straight line. 

Hey you! Thanks a lot for the tip with the dumbbell rows! I think my shoulders are slightly rotated, I'll have a close look on that tomorrow.  I really aim for the best possible form, so your tip is really helpful!

Yeah, I think I'll make it a goal for the challenge, to do 3 circuits 3 times or something similar. The only thing that needs to get a bit better before moving on to 3 circuits, is the lunges. It is awful to do them in 2 circuits. I have to slow down... watch them closely... feels like it takes forever... and stuff. I think it would frustrate me to do THAT three times :devilish:  So, that needs to improve beforehand.

Glad you like my accountability system and my motivation, I am actually quite proud of it :)

Funny you suggest measure tape, because I ordered one last Friday :D It should arrive Saturday or Monday (I live upon an Island, things take longer)! My scale frustrates me but I am sure I lost "width"; but without actual numbers, there is no proof and that frustrates me as well^^ So measuring tape FTW!  Aaaand I'll take some pictures along to the upcoming challenge... perhaps.

It's good to have you guys, I'll do my best to help you too!

- A smooth sea never made a skillfull sailor - 

My Battle Log|1st|2nd challenge!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

Str: 2 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 1 | Con: 1 | Wis: 5 | Cha : 3

From 121 cm waist to 90 cm

29%
29%

9. BBWW 13.09.2013

Circuits: 2 + 1/3

• BW squats: 20 rep. + 6
  • Push ups: 10 rep. + 3 [4 "push ups" without knees on the floor]
  • Lunges: 20 rep. + 3
  • Dumbbell rows: 15 rep. +5 [increased weight to 3 kg]
  • Planks: 20 sec. + 7 sec.
  • Jumping Jack's: 30 rep. + 9

So, because I am impatient, ambitious and love pushing myself to the edge, I did a bit of the third circuit. I just want to feel my muscles, feel them burn...  :black_eyed: Embrace the pain! (Though it's actually not that painful. My ability to climb stairs etc wasn't influenced)

DirtyLittleSecrets gave me a nice tip for the dumbbell rows, and I watched closely today. I think I had a slight rotation of the shoulder but I did it as accurate as I could (with all that fat blocking my side....) this time. Thx!

As for the lunges, they were so much better this time. My hope is raised that I am going to defeat my arch enemy in some time! :pride:

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Just wanted to pop in and say hi - I'm also pretty new at this stuff, doing a body weight workout (a different routine, but what the hey...).

It's nice to see you make progress pretty quickly! Keep up the good work! :encouragement:

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Just wanted to pop in and say hi - I'm also pretty new at this stuff, doing a body weight workout (a different routine, but what the hey...).

It's nice to see you make progress pretty quickly! Keep up the good work! :encouragement:

Hi Swampling, thanks for having a look at my log and for the compliment :)

Yeah, I made some progress, though I'm sometimes not able to see it. Have to remind myself  :playful:

All that self-criticism, tsss  :highly_amused:

EDIT:

I just had a look at your challenge log and noticed we have the same home country! Hallo!!  :tears_of_joy: *being a bit homesick*

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Finally, FINALLY I've defeated this monster called laziness... and find myself able to write down my Crisis Plan.

It shall server me (and whoever needs it) as a guide whenever I am not feeling positive during my weight loss time.

So here we go:

Crisis Plan

STEP 1 /Identifying

How do you feel?

• Depressed
  • Frustrated
  • Unmotivated
  • Angry
  • Insecure
  • Scared
  • Sad

STEP 2 /Collecting Information

Why are you feeling this way?

• Try to distinguish between inner and outer reasons/triggers. They require different treatments! For inner reasons, it's usually to check your attitude and thinking, for outer reasons your planning and systems.

What did you do since you started to feel this way?

• If you still feel like s**t, then that's not working! Avoid next time!

What do you want to do?

• That's most likely a compulsive act or a displacement activity! Only do if you're in a deeeeep crisis and there is no way out at the moment. Keep cool and don't circle down. Try to find a solution as soon as possible!

What do you not want to do?

• This, together with the Why? question gives you a very clear image of the reason for this mess.

What do you really need?

• Something complete different than 'What do you want'. 'What do you want' could be a chocolate. 'what do you really need' could be a hug! It's most likely the opposite to 'What do you not want'. 

STEP 3/ Action plan

Try to find a way to get what you really need, mind the inner and outer triggers and if you can't get what you need, try to find out the core theme (like 'need affection') and find something else that will give you what you need (like meeting for a cosy evening with a friend. Including tea, nice talks and woollen blankets)

EXAMPLES:

Mind: Those are created by looking at my usual problems (eg. Anger is not really a problem, it's more a motivation for me. I am almost never angry) and what I need to overcome them.

• Frustrated

Stop comparing and judging yourself so much! You did and changed a lot because you are really ambitious and motivated, you just didn't notice (the scale lies!). Now set up a list (10 things) about the stuff that you worked on since *relevant timespan*. You really did change! Focus on persistence, patience and self confidence.

• Depressed

Stop colouring your world in black and white, life is everything except that. And please stop with that self pity. Things aren't as bad as you think. You know, you can do it, you've been through this in different parts of your life and got out of it, use your experience! Now for your mood: Do a walk immediately! You need fresh air and daylight. then set up a date with a friend as soon as possible and do something nice and exciting! Then call your mum, watch Spongebob Squarepants or Simpsons. Do a facial mask and drink a nice tea/hot chocolate! Diet/workout wise: Treat yourself with a feel good dinner (still go for healthy choices!)/favourite food. Chance your goals to others if it makes you happier, make sure the new ones will still help you to finish your main quest (weight loss!). You may want to change your exercise routine to 'three times a week, I exercise however I want to' as long as you do it, that's fine! And if you just go crazy for 30 minutes, job done! Focus on mindfulness, frugalty and how f***ing awesome life is! Aviod all triggers! Smile at yourself in the mirror! :)

• Unmotivated

Stop being so numbly! You apparently managed to settle in the routine, that's good. But you forgot about adjusting/ putting on plans and systems! And where is your accountability? If avoiding the shame of failure is not enough to keep you on track, then find a way making failure very painful. And find a way to have no more excuses! Now check out your motivation and the success stories and blog entries on Nerd Fitness. Make new routines easy to follow!

• Angry

Stop having offending feelings towards you or anyone else! All people want the same and are insecure, they have their own sad reasons for acting like that. You have them as well. Make peace and use this clear image of what you want and what not that you get through anger as motivation! Do something immediately! Work out or throw away junk food. Define your goals clearer! You know you can do it!

• Insecure

Listen to your positive inner voice! You are great and strong, you can do it! Even if you did a mistake there is always a way out. Go outside, look for a calm spot and enjoy nature. Use your sensitivity to listen to your needs rather than just to your thoughts. Then use your passion to find ways to integrate those into your routine. But don't change too much, you also have to be strong, patient and fierce. Success WILL come. Write down 5 major successes that you gained in your life and think about that time. This could be major success number 6! Imagine yourself two years later, you succeeded! How do you feel? Now you talk with a friend about how you managed to succeed. What do you say? What did the future-you do after today? How did future-do manage to turn it into a success? Maybe he just kept his head up, smiled and continued to follow his plan?

• Scared

you are strong! Do not fear the future or changes, you went through a lot and always succeeded! Also, changes are possibilities to improve! And though the world around you or your appearance might change, it doesn't mean you have to change your personality! You can still be who you are! You can't control things but you don't have to change yourself. Remember, you are doing this for yourself and not for the outer world!

• Sad

Cry! It's okay to be sad, it means you care! Watch P.S.: I love you or Amelie if you can't cry by yourself and need to be triggered. force yourself to let it out. After enough crying you might find it's not so bad. find 3 things that were nice this week and 4 things you are looking forward to. If you still feel sad after crying, seek comfort. Meet feel good people, eat feel good food, drink tea and cuddle yourself up. Dream yourself away and don't put on make up. Still stick to your routine! Try to see it as your safe haven, the one thing you can control!

GENERAL:

Always look at what went wrong; be gentle to yourself but observe clearly. What will you do different next time?

And... most important: LAUGH! :)

REASONS FOR THIS:

The reason why I am having such a crisis plan is, that I had some problems and mental issues a few years ago. I learned an awful lot and I changed a lot. The one and only thing that is more important than losing weight and being healthy is my mental health. Because life is worth nothing without it.

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Planning for success is always important but so is planning for failure/hardships. It's good to have an emergency plan in life. Glad you worked this out before you hit a stumbling block . Any time I'm particularly stressed I look at how bad it is on a scale of 1-10 and figure out how big of a deal it really is. Usually it's a 3-4 and easily rectified by a little mind frame switch.

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

That's a good way to do it! I am also trying to see it from someone else's perspective, favourably someone that likes me. Most of the times i then notice, that everything's fine.

A lot of people should do a little mind frame switch. I am fascinated and aghast at the same time by how many people think that they have an awful life. Being through some mental s**t and getting out of it gives you a nice new view upon life. Never thought I'd be so happy with so little things!

:D

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Wow... that's one hell of a contingency plan! :encouragement:

Mind if I steal it? That is a really thorough list with lots of good pointers! Will definitely come in handy when I hit another brick wall.

For some time now I have been keeping a little journal in which I like to write down at least one good thing for every day. Most of the days it's nothing spectacular, just things that made me smile or feel good. As you say, it's very often the little things that can make your day. :)

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Fell free to use it! I am very happy that I can help you with that!

There are two reasons why I opened up this battle log:

1. So I have everything that I did and found handy recorded at one place, accessible from everywhere (as long as there's an internet connection)
  2. To help others with my ideas and experiences

Thanks for using it :)

Yep, don't forget how lucky you are; being able to live your life!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

10. BBWW 15.09.2013

Circuits: 2 + 1/2!

• BW squats: 20 rep. + 10
  • Push ups: 10 rep. + 5 [switched to incline push ups instead of modified knee push ups]
  • Lunges: 20 rep. + 10
  • Dumbbell rows: 15 rep. + 7
  • Planks: 20 sec. + 10 sec.
  • Jumping Jack's: 30 rep. + 15

So, because I love pushing myself so much, I did 2 and a half circuits! Originally, I just wanted to add one more repetition to each single exercise, but after 7 squats I though "Come on, you can do more!" - So I did more. *insert SPARTAAA!! gif here*

And I switched to incline push ups. This way, I can do the whole motion and I hope that helps me more than crippled normal ones.

Workout has been fine, though its always funny how I don't feel like I gained any strength (first set of squats always feels the same) but I catch my breath much faster and sweat less. I now really need the more-than-two circuits to wear me put :D

Oooh, and before I forget:

I rules the lunges!!!

(I really have to create a little "w00t" section in this log so I won't forget all my small successes!)

Have a nice day! :)

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

So, because I love pushing myself so much, I did 2 and a half circuits! Originally, I just wanted to add one more repetition to each single exercise, but after 7 squats I though "Come on, you can do more!" - So I did more. *insert SPARTAAA!! gif here*

tumblr_mhxxtnNGkN1rtc12jo1_500.gif

Oooh, and before I forget:

I rules the lunges!!!

(I really have to create a little "w00t" section in this log so I won't forget all my small successes!)

Have a nice day! :)

You can also go to the Woot Room to celebrate your successes with other Rebels  :rapture: . I'm happy for you but I want everyone to be!

xD!!!

Thanks for the gif! I'm planning on using it from now on regularly!!

You can also go to the Woot Room to celebrate your successes with other Rebels  :rapture: . I'm happy for you but I want everyone to be!

Well I might do that in the future. At the moment I feel like my woots are too small  :moody: ... I think I might post a whole list of small woots after my first challenge, that will be fun  :highly_amused:

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

w00t?!

Here I shall collect all my small w00ts, so I won't forget!

• Thought I forgot to add fruits to my porridge, though I didn't! Adding fruits or vegs started becoming a habit!
  • I fit into my way-too-tight blouse!
  • I think I have shoulders, and not just one smooth line from head to hands!
  • I am able to stretch my legs again by pulling my foot up to my bottom!
  • I can do half-assed push ups!
  • Ruled the lunges! (15.9.)
  • Did 3 circuits of the BBWW!!!! (18.9.) 
  • did 5 push ups
  • fit into UK size 20

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Recap week 3

In the beginning, I set up three goals/new routines:

• Include vegetables or fruits to every meal (doesn't matter how small it is! Even if its just a bite!)
  • Exercise 2-3 times a week, one day rest in between
  • Reduce junk food to three days a week  

Vegetables and fruits:

Check!  - Every single meal, I ate at least a bite of fruits or vegetables. Also I increased the amount of vegetables. There were quite a few meals were I managed to eat a proper amount of vegs! Wooohooo!

Exercising:

Check! - Exercised on Monday, Wednesday, Friday AND Sunday; Plus swimming on Monday. Reason why I also exercised on Sunday is, that I'll be going to swim every Monday and since I really don't need to exercise twice a day, I moved one exercise day to Sunday. I started to do that this week because I felt like Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday is way to long without BBWW. Also I am steadily working my way up to 3 circuits! :) And I decided to switch to the Angry Birds Workout as soon as 3 Circuits are getting boring ;)

Junk Food:

Check! - Had 4 days without junk food. For a moment; I tempted to not take one junk food day, but the whole idea of this is to take the pressure. So I took it in the end and discovered, that crisps (chips) aren't that nice anymore but... really dry *cough out dust :D* For my challenge, I'll be doing 2 junk food days a week! with me luck! o.O

What did also happen this week:

I got "Well Fed" the cookbook! And excellent book, but I'm still sooo overwhelmed with Paleo... I'll ease myself into that by making to cook certain recipes out of this book goals for future challenges! :)

Bought a bathing suit! I am actually surprised that I found one, the UK has much more stuff within my size than Germany!

Got a measuring tape! I am going to measure myself for the challenge! And I love my tape :) It has some kind of hook were you can click in the tape and make a loop. Thats much more accurate! Aaand I also bought a ceramic frying pan, because I am taking cooking to a serious level :)

Soo much stuff to help me with my lifestyle change, but its alright because on Monday I decided that getting healthy has an absolute priority in my life!

Just a few minutes ago I talked to my parents, giving them my weekly report to get my rewards, and I was so happy! My dad told me he started to skip one treat per day (he is still eating a lot, but he really likes my idea of small changes). And my mum was almost hysterically happy to hear that I've lost almost 6 lbs. I told her that I am going to blast them away on my Christmas holidays (that's when I am going to see my family the next time)and she got almost hysterical again "Oooh, I would be sooooo happy for you!! That would be amazing!" :)  - I really want to do this!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Lol you two. I totally stole that sparta gif as well. I really like that contingency plan. I'm actually going to pass it along to one of my clients if you don't mind. She really struggles with feelings like those and I think that will help. 

Feel free to do so! Also, she can bring in her very own methods. maybe there are some things that are working very good when she's depressed that I haven't mentioned. It's trail and error, kind of ;)

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

11. BBWW  18.09.2013

Circuits: 3 [w0000000000t!! I thought I'd be doing this in three weeks or so!]

• BW squats: 20 rep.
  • Push ups: 10 rep.   [incline]
  • Lunges: 20 rep.
  • Dumbbell rows: 20 rep. [increased from 15 to 20 reps]
  • Planks: 20 sec.
  • Jumping Jack's: 30 rep.

This workout. Wow. Sooo proud of myself!

I've never felt so... fit after the first circuit!... I ruled the lunges... 3 times!! I pushed myself to the maximum during the push ups - because I really want to to the 5 proper push ups.

I increased the reps for the Dumbbell rows as well - I know I know. You should increase the repetitions, the weight OR the sets. But... but I wanted to! :D - And my arms really do feel worn out now!

What can I say - I love it.  :black_eyed: 

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

12. BBWW  20.09.2013

Circuits: 3 

• Dumbbell rows: 20 rep.

And again I did 3 circuits, though it was much much tougher this time (was a bad girl today, didn't eat enough). I really could have stopped after 2 circuits but not with me. So I really pushed myself to the edge and did it. I literally dragged myself up from the floor after the last set of planks :D I could feel the muscles in my arms tickling slightly after I was done - so worn out :D BUT! I noticed I improved with the push ups! Yup, thats the way to go :)

- Aaand I fear I'll get DOMS in my neck and shoulder area. The ONLY area were I hate DOMS, of course.

Have a nice day!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

13. BBWW  22.09.2013

Workout from hell. And the absolute right punishment for not eating enough! I was panting after 1 circuit... I was close to fainting after 2... But I took my time and finished my 3 circuits. Just because I won't give in. I will make sure to eat enough until the next workout!

At least my planks were notably better than last time...  :hopelessness: 

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Recap week 4

Goals:

• One meal per day shall have a decent amount of vegs/fruits
  • Exercise 2-3 times a week
  • Reduce junk food to two days a week

Vegetables and fruits:

Check!  - I made sure to eat fruits or veg to every meal and that one meal per day would have a proper amount or either fruits or veg. But I noticed that I am starting to be a bit... slurry... 3 times I almost forgot the veg... didn't eat proper meals etc... So next week, focus on this goal, Do it right!!

Exercising:

Check! - Exercised on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday; Plus swimming on Monday. I would like to add a walk on Saturday, I'll try that next week. Plus i am thinking about getting a membership for our Sports Centre, it's only 10 GBP per month!! Classes and swimming pool access included! it's some kind of Government funded thing.

Junk Food:

Check! - Had 5 days without junk food. I stuck to this goal, though I had the night in the pub, no alcohol for me there. I found it much tougher than with the 3 days, but in the end I had enough options for other food (like hot chocolate and a few crackers instead of fudge and crisps (chips)). Also, I new I am going to have 2 new days the following week, so it was alright. Quite interesting, I noticed that all junk food doesn't taste as good as I thought it would... my favourite crisps were incredibly dry and pizza and chocolate didn't have any depth in taste. So at the moment, I am having the plan to go for self-made "junk" food (for pizza etc) or to go for quality (chocolate etc). It's two days a week that I am allowed to eat whatever I want to. It should be something nice, not just some crap. Interesting change of mind, right? Especially since this is referring to my so-called Junk food days :D

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Food log 24.9.2013

Breakfast: ca. 550 kcal

• 350 ml full fat milk
  • 40 g nuts
  • 1 apple

Lunch: ca. 650 kcal

• roasted chestnut mushrooms
  • Moroccan Meatballs

Dinner: ca. 545 kcal

• 3 medium sized eggs
  • 70 g full fat soured cream
  • some soup (all that mixed together to a proper soup!)
  • cherry tomatoes

Total kcal: 1745

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

14. BBWW  25.09.2013

Much better than last time, though pre breakfast! But I still feel like I could do much better. Tried to do a real push up and just fell on the floor. *cough* :D Happy that nobody saw it. I am getting more and more doubts about my challenge fitness goal (doing 5 push ups) but I can't get out of that...

I just hope that I'll have more progress with not starving myself to death!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%

Food log 26.9.2013

Breakfast (ca. 325 kcal):

• 100 ml full fat milk
  • 35 g nuts
  • 1 apple

Lunch (ca. 640 kcal):

• 2 nasty fajita wraps
  • 200 g chilli to fill the wraps
  • bell pepper

Dinner (ca. 800 kcal):

• 100 g cheddar 
  • 240 g chicken
  • salad
  • 30 ml dressing

Overall: 1765 kcal

Thanks for mighty mighty cheese I ate a reasonable calorie amount today. Though I thought I would explode after I finished the "salad"

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

29%
29%