(CactusWren) Greetings!

Hello all!

My name is Wren, I'm a 20 something female born and raised in the western United States. I've been reading the NF blog for a really long time and was vaguely aware of the forums, but have only recently begun to check them out.

For a long time I was not concerned with my body. My diet has always been terrible, but until last year I had jobs that demanded long, very physical hours so my weight was not an issue. During that time I also hiked and biked a lot with my hubby. However, he now has a new career that takes up most of his time and energy and I've gone back to school full-time to get a teaching degree. With these new schedules and virtually no physical demands on my body, suddenly my weight and eating were out of control!

I've had lots of starts and stops on various diet and exercise plans and was again between efforts till these last few weeks. I started out on the path to paleo slowly by adding more veggies to our meals, then eventually losing grains and processed foods all together. Hubby is very supportive and making these dietary changes with me. (It helps that I do all the cooking!)

I've also been going to pilates and yoga classes, once a week each, at a work-out room that just opened up in my neighborhood. So far so good, I don't own a scale, but I feel better and my clothes aren't quite so tight. What I'd really like to get into, in addition to more pilates and yoga at home, is body-weight exercising. I've got a little kettlebell I've been using, and a pull-up bar in the mail, but my knowledge and stamina is very limited.

On a geeky-er note, I'm on Pottermore, experimenting with EQ, and interested in OSS, linux and IT security.

I'm hoping that with the NF forums I can learn more and keep the ball rolling this time. Looking forward to meeting you all! :)

CactusWren

progress thread

Welcome, Wren!  I'm new around here as well.  :)  

Is the pilates class you're doing using just your body, or does it use the big wooden machines?  I've only done at-home dvds of pilates with no equipment, but I've been wondering what it is like with the full machines.

Best of luck with your goals!

Level 1 Humanoid Rogue Bard, (Lone) Ranger 

...Not all those who Ranger are lost... 

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 2

"Experiment is the mother of knowledge." ~Madeline L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time

Hi Wren :) Have you seen the Beginners Body Weight Workout or the Playground Workout? There are SO many things you can do with your body as a workout...I started doing handstands and climbing trees and swimming drills and such, just because it looked fun and now Im hooked!! I do yoga mostly at home, although I am actually going to sign up at the local YMCA in an hour and go back to yoga classes, now that I feel much more confident in myself and my abilities.

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hi Bekah! Thanks for the links!!! :D

The Beginners Body Weight Workout is the article that really got me pumped and made me realize that I don't need a gym membership or a bunch of equipment to get fit. I tried those exact circuits for a while, but lately I end up doing a different mash-up of those and other exercises for 15-30 minute sessions instead. I have to keep lots of variation or I get bored and give up on the session too early.

I had not seen the second article you posted, I love it! Who says parks are just for kids!? I have three of them in my neighborhood too, hmm...

I'm so jealous of people who can do handstands and the like. I'm so awkward with my body right now. I just remember being younger, being fearless, and being way more flexible. I want that feeling again.

Yoga is my favorite (and most expensive) type of exercise to do. I do a little at home, but something about going to a guided class leaves me feeling so light and wonderful (if sore) afterwards. That feeling really keeps me motivated to keep going with everything, keep eating right, keep getting stronger.

Love your avatar btw!

CactusWren

progress thread

Hi Bekah! Thanks for the links!!! :D

The Beginners Body Weight Workout is the article that really got me pumped and made me realize that I don't need a gym membership or a bunch of equipment to get fit. I tried those exact circuits for a while, but lately I end up doing a different mash-up of those and other exercises for 15-30 minute sessions instead. I have to keep lots of variation or I get bored and give up on the session too early.

I had not seen the second article you posted, I love it! Who says parks are just for kids!? I have three of them in my neighborhood too, hmm...

I'm so jealous of people who can do handstands and the like. I'm so awkward with my body right now. I just remember being younger, being fearless, and being way more flexible. I want that feeling again.

Yoga is my favorite (and most expensive) type of exercise to do. I do a little at home, but something about going to a guided class leaves me feeling so light and wonderful (if sore) afterwards. That feeling really keeps me motivated to keep going with everything, keep eating right, keep getting stronger.

Love your avatar btw!

I was jealous too, but thats the neat thing about it, you start where you are and work up to them, Im only able to do them against the wall, so its not like im in the middle of a room perfectly balanced...lol Im no where near that yet....you might be surprisedwhat you can do, I was!

I love yoga classes in some ways, but hate them in others. I have poor vision, so I have to go solely by what the teacher is saying, rather than being able to watch her movements, and if she uses a name for an asana im unfamiliar with, i have to try to copy the person next to me, and it makes it a lot less fun that way. But I absolutely love the practice itself. I am planning to either a.) move somewhere they have a Mysore based studio thats not an two hour bus ride, or b.) can actually go stay in Mysore and practice and learn there (obvious preference). If you havent looked at much of my current challenge thread, I have video of me climbing in the park (at night after a thunderstorm) and handstand photos and tree climbing ones...all sorts of stuff!

Ty :) I LOVE Rainbow Brite! I was totally excited today bc I found out that there is a Rainbow Brite fitness themed coloring book online :D

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn