One set of more vs more sets of fewer?

This is a question I asked in a previous thread, and I thought I'd try my luck posting it separately to see if anyone can offer an opinion.

The question is, is repeating a set of a few types of exercises the same as doing a single set of more types of exercises?

For example, is doing a workout of 2 sets of 6 exercises the same as doing a workout of a single set of 12 different exercises? Is the first type of workout preferred?

For specifics, I'm currently doing a body-weight workout with 9 exercises covering all muscle groups, each one done until I can't do another rep. If I feel I can do too many reps with an exercise without effort, I change the exercise with something more difficult. This is why I was curious about the alternate "fewer exercises in repeated sets" approach, and if it would be better than my current way of working out.

Apologies for the late reply.

I actually have 2 workouts that I alternate between, working out on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Push-ups

Lunges

Bench dips

Bicycle crunch

Bridge

Pike press

Oblique crunch

Superman

Reverse crunch

Push-ups

Squats

Bench dips

V-up

Bird dog

Side bridge

Lying hip extension

Crunch

Elbows plank

I'll change some of the exercises for a couple of months because I have access to an exercise ball and a pull-up bar, but above is my current workout.

How bout do workout a till failure each set before proceeding to the next?

Then do workout b as say three circuits of ten reps?

Next week do the opposite, a as circuit b as reps.

The only antidote,

is blood, sweat and hope

and a blueprint to save us from what we have become.

'we work in the dark to serve the light'

Is the change you're suggesting for diversity, or do you believe it to be more efficient? And if the second option is true, on what basis would it be more efficient?

I'm not necessarily looking to change my workout routine. My initial thread question was aimed merely at a curiosity, and if the answers pointed to a more efficient workout approach, then I would look into changing my workout. Though I still appreciate your suggestion, and will keep it in mind regardless, in case I ever feel that I need to change things to avoid monotony.

Efficiency isn't really that relevant, if you do 3 sets of ten or one set of 30 your putting your body under the same amount of stress.

A high rep set is better for muscular enurance, while smaller tough sets are better for growth or speed strength depending on how you excite each rep.

I merely suggested varying the rep scheme as then you could get the best of both without changing your workout.

My only reason for suggesting doing them as a circuit rather then straight sets was time wise.

Without knowing your specific goals, each rep scheme is a valid consideration, wit efficiency only coming into play as the best way to get to your goals. There is no best way overall.

The only antidote,

is blood, sweat and hope

My goals are first endurance, second strength and third looks. Now that I understand your previous suggestion, I'll change my workouts accordingly. I never considered this approach and it fits my goals better. But do you mean to say that circuits are for gaining strength? Or is it only for circuits with added weight?

Circuits allow a greater expenditure of a muscle group similar that to straight sets.

Hspu would be easier to do 3x3 as part of a circuit than one set to failure due to taxing nature of the movement.

Taking Hspu might get 5or6 if taken to failure due to accumulated fatigue.

Imagine trying to run a marathon. You can sprint for the entire thing given enough rest between sprints, whereas running it slower but in one effort will work too. Lots of shorter bursts of intense effort compared to a elongated session of lesser effort.

Circuits in the above fashion would allow you to blast a muscle group each set, while still working to failure by the end of the allotted circuits. Single set would be less intense but still work to failure and be more about enurance than muscle/strength involvement.

Btw I'm writing this at work so it may not be as clear as I would like but hopefully you get the idea.

The only antidote,

is blood, sweat and hope

More sets of fewer!

Heavier weight, better form, better stimulus.

Fatigue does become a major issue.

However, every now and then do the reverse and do fewer sets of more.

Works like a treat for getting the best of both worlds.

I like 8 week cycles.

6 weeks of more sets fewer reps

2 weeks of more reps fewer sets.

Change it up to suit.