Calcium vs. Protein!

I'm researching this as best I can, but I figured I throw this out to the community.

I've run into 2 conflicting arguments and I am looking for scholarly research (that a software guy can understand) to resolve this conflict and come to a conclusion.

1. When exercising, if you are trying to get stronger you need a high protein diet.

2. High Protein diets interfere with bone building because it promotes calcium loss.

Thoughts?

Even with this research, I've never seen any very strong and muscular people have bone problems. On the contrary the lifting and impact of exercise cause tiny fractures in bones that calcify and make the bone stronger. Usually bone breaks happen when weak, inactive people try a brief quick strenuous movement. But why not supplement calcium with you protein just in case? I know the shake I drink has 10% of my recommended calcium intake per serving. Even UFC fighters which require a lot of protein to combat the muscle breakdown of their training have extraordinarily strong bones. Does protein cause calcium loss? Maybe. But I would say the benefits far outweigh the risks. Much like exercise has many dangers (dropping the weight on yourself, dogs and cars while running or biking, drowning while swimming), in-taking protein may risk bone health, but I think this will go the way of the now debunked protein/kidney function correlation. Finally I will say this my wifes grandmother constantly is breaking bones. What does she get plenty of? Calcium and Vitamin D. What does she not get enough of? Protein.

Both protein and calcium are important for bone health and, though an abundance of protein can cause calcium to be leeched from the bones no one is really sure of the exact ratio. I don't recommend intaking more than 100% DV of calcium because an abundance of calcium can cause kidney problems, especially kidney stones. I would recommend taking recommended levels of calcium and if you feel you're protein intake is too high get some tests done to see if you're leeching calcium from your bones. It might be expensive, but dealing with kidney stones is also expensive.

References:

1. Harvard School of Public Health. “Calcium and milk: What’s best for your bones?” 2004. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium.html.

I have others but I don't have time to compile them at this moment. I've had osteoporosis since I was 16 and I've come to learn that intaking a ridiculous amount of vitamins can cause more harm than good. Beware where you get your research from. Reports go back and forth all the time. We may come to learn that it isn't protein that causes calcium to leech from the bones, but something else found in protein rich food products. Read everything with healthy skepticism. =)

Human Ranger (Lvl 2)
Be the author of your own adventure.
Fitocracy -- Challenge 1: AR's Return

Yeah, I think that's bunk science. I agree with 1fever--the bone density benefit of weight bearing exercise (which is honestly the ONLY reliable way to build bone density) more than outweighs any possible calcium loss. If you're worried, take a supplement. Unless you really overdo it, it can't hurt.

I have a family history of osteoporosis. I take a calcium/magnesium/D supplement once or twice a day in addition to making sure I get plenty through real food in my diet. I also have a family history of sedentary lifestyle and poor health habits, so calcium may not even be the actual problem. Supplements are tricky, though. Your body can't absorb or use 100% of the daily value at once, so if you're taking a 1000mg calcium pill you're wasting most of it. Same goes for most other vitamins and minerals.

From the research I've read, it's more about eating a diet that doesn't leech the calcium out of the bones. I know that the proponents of paleo recommend it for that reason because it doesn't have anti-nutrients in the diet like grains or legumes. It's also interesting to note the acid/alkaline balance of a given diet, which also causes issues with getting nutrients and being healthy.

http://thepaleodiet.blogspot.com/2010/03/paleo-diet-q-calcium-from-where.html

http://robbwolf.com/2009/03/19/paleo-vs-osteoporosis/

I don't recommend intaking more than 100% DV of calcium because an abundance of calcium can cause kidney problems, especially kidney stones. I would recommend taking recommended levels of calcium and if you feel you're protein intake is too high get some tests done to see if you're leeching calcium from your bones. It might be expensive, but dealing with kidney stones is also expensive.

I'm following Doctor's orders at the moment - hence the crazy high amount.

I don't have a family history of bone issues - I just have them. As of this writing, I have a nodule on my parathyroid gland. If there are any changes in the next 6 months, I get to have a biopsy. yay.....

My question was initially spawned from the question I ask myself "How can *I* alter my diet/life to fix this?" I just kept seeing this argument popping up, and not seeing any conclusive information.

I'm following Doctor's orders at the moment - hence the crazy high amount.

I don't have a family history of bone issues - I just have them. As of this writing, I have a nodule on my parathyroid gland. If there are any changes in the next 6 months, I get to have a biopsy. yay.....

My question was initially spawned from the question I ask myself "How can *I* alter my diet/life to fix this?" I just kept seeing this argument popping up, and not seeing any conclusive information.

What's you vitamin D intake? My inability to absorb Vitamin D properly is what causes my bone issues.

Human Ranger (Lvl 2)
Be the author of your own adventure.
Fitocracy -- Challenge 1: AR's Return

What's you vitamin D intake? My inability to absorb Vitamin D properly is what causes my bone issues.

I don't have the exact numbers, but it's about 2-3x recommended dosage. I have low Vit D levels also so I doubled that as well as per Dr's orders.

I also drive around with the top down on my car whenever possible.

I can't find where I initially read it but my understanding of the high-protein/calcium connection is as follows:

The study showed a reduction in blood calcium levels in people on a high protein diet because the people on the high-protein diet were also exercising heavily. The protein + exercise resulted in stress on the muscular-skeletal system. Stressing that system causes an increase in bone density (part of why astronauts lose so much bone density is because of the reduced stress on that system due to a lack of gravity). When your body increases its bone density in response to increases skeletal stress it USES calcium to do so and THAT results in lower blood calcium levels.

TL;DR version - High protein diet = exercise = body increases bone density using calcium = less calcium in the blood because your body is sequestering it into your bones...

So... don't worry about high protein diets and calcium... its a non-issue

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. "

- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

My brother actually sent me this study this morning:

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d1473.full.pdf

The study found a non-linear relationship between calcium intake and hip fractures/osteoporosis in women. The conclusion in the abstract reads as follows:

Gradual increases in dietary calcium intake above the first quintile in our female population were not associated with further reductions in fracture risk or osteoporosis.

There was actually a slightly higher association of hip fractures with high calcium intake. Of course, this is correlation and not causation; perhaps women who feared that they were at extra risk for osteoporosis had higher calcium intake. Yet it seems from this study at least that higher calcium intake didn't lead to reduced risk of osteoporosis. Just found it interesting and possibly relevant and wanted to share.