Any "retro gamers" here?

Inspired by the other Nintendo-related thread...any fellow "retro gamers" on the boards?

One of my "nerdy" passions is classic gaming. I grew up with Nintendo's 8-bit and 16-bit systems and I now collect for them (well, mostly just the NES) as an adult. I also have an interest in other 16-bit and earlier systems, games, and history. I also grew up with, and am still enthusiastic about, a number of DOS-based games. Just curious how many folks around here might be similarly interested in playing and collecting old games?

I accidentally stuck myself in the PS2 generation.  My budget at the time was World of Warcraft or used disc.  I did a few PC games, went with basic Minecraft, I am now finding myself again looking up the PS2 games that I missed out on because of WOW.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Oh, and I am wanting a system that runs Ancient Domains of Mystery well.  The last computer that it it passably was a Win 3.1 system that lost its case to an upgrade.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

My husband trolls yard sales for NES games. Sadly, there's a guy within the Twins Cities known as the 'Amazon Guy' who'll go to posted sales as soon as they open and overpay for the lot of games. We've been sniped by him a few times. Boo. I think the frustration is that we want the games to keep and play and he just wants to make a profit. Blah.

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Oh, and I am wanting a system that runs Ancient Domains of Mystery well.  The last computer that it it passably was a Win 3.1 system that lost its case to an upgrade.

Did ADOM just go through an awesome kickstarter? I hope so, otherwise the boyfriend has been lying about what he's been playing.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Me and my fiance are big retro heads (her more than me) Putting aside the 360, we've got two crystal original Xboxes (boxed,) Gamecube, a (slimline) PS2, a PSOne (the smaller second iteration,) Dreamcast, N64, Mega Drive (Genesis in the US,) Master System (had a lot more success outside of the US, so not as well known of a console,) SNES, and a Commodore 64. Handhelds we've got two Gameboys, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance (SP,) Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Colour, PSP.

And we're sitting at around 600 titles including our PC games.

I'm currently pretty excited because next month is a big Retro Games event in Manchester UK called Play Expo... Last year it was a blast, met some really good people!

Did ADOM just go through an awesome kickstarter? I hope so, otherwise the boyfriend has been lying about what he's been playing.

OMG, I been ignoring ADOM, and this is cool news.

Me and my fiance are big retro heads (her more than me) Putting aside the 360, we've got two crystal original Xboxes (boxed,) Gamecube, a (slimline) PS2, a PSOne (the smaller second iteration,) Dreamcast, N64, Mega Drive (Genesis in the US,) Master System (had a lot more success outside of the US, so not as well known of a console,) SNES, and a Commodore 64. Handhelds we've got two Gameboys, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance (SP,) Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Colour, PSP.

And we're sitting at around 600 titles including our PC games.

I'm currently pretty excited because next month is a big Retro Games event in Manchester UK called Play Expo... Last year it was a blast, met some really good people!

Nice! I'd like to get a Master System at some point. I hear the Alex Kidd games are really worth playing? Play Expo sounds like an awesome event!

I have an Atari 2600...... :)

....and a pinball machine! I love me some pinball!

I have a 2600, too...I'll be honest; growing up with D-pad controllers instead of joysticks (the NES was the first console we had growing up), it is pretty challenging for me to play a lot of the games for that system. Using a joystick for a game like Pitfall! is not intuitive at all for me, though I do try, haha. I really enjoy the paddle-based games, though, such as Breakout and Super Breakout.

I always wanted my own pinball machine...I had a friend in elementary school who had one in her house, and I was super jealous, haha.

My husband trolls yard sales for NES games. Sadly, there's a guy within the Twins Cities known as the 'Amazon Guy' who'll go to posted sales as soon as they open and overpay for the lot of games. We've been sniped by him a few times. Boo. I think the frustration is that we want the games to keep and play and he just wants to make a profit. Blah.

Oh, that's irritating. I get a lot of mine from thrift stores, and those get hit pretty hard by resellers as well. Fortunately, I live near a few of them, so I can check in on a regular basis.

That's such a good idea! We found one at a yard sale with some old ladies. They honestly had no clue what it was, said it must have belonged to one of their kids at some point and sold it to us at 50c. I don't remember what game it was, but any NES for that cheap is a bargain! XD

Nice! I'd like to get a Master System at some point. I hear the Alex Kidd games are really worth playing? Play Expo sounds like an awesome event!

Like I say, it didn't make a big splash in the US, but it was popular in Latin America, Europe, and Japan... So you'll probably have to import. 

There's a lot of good games out there for the MS! It's very much a dark horse, and the MS2 came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in, which is pretty cool.

As I say, my fiance is the collector, I'm more about... The games and systems I remember from my childhood.

If & when we get an NES that's as far back as my memory goes (unless we can get an Amstrad CPC646) and I want to play Dr Mario and Paperboy again!

Like I say, it didn't make a big splash in the US, but it was popular in Latin America, Europe, and Japan... So you'll probably have to import. 

There's a lot of good games out there for the MS! It's very much a dark horse, and the MS2 came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built-in, which is pretty cool.

As I say, my fiance is the collector, I'm more about... The games and systems I remember from my childhood.

If & when we get an NES that's as far back as my memory goes (unless we can get an Amstrad CPC646) and I want to play Dr Mario and Paperboy again!

I actually do come across them (and the games) occasionally in the States, but they're definitely not as common as other systems. One other console from around that era that I always had some level of interest in was the Turbo-Grafx 16, and I don't think I've ever come across one in a store for sale. I had a roommate once that owned a 3DO -- that's really one that you don't see around often.

I do have a boxed Amiga 500 that I picked up many years back, and I'm hoping to get it going as a gaming machine at some point, as the Amiga had a LOT of quality titles and very good visuals for the time.

Did someone say retro gaming? :)

I posted these in the geek/nerd home thread awhile back, but they are definitely more fitting here. Quite a few games and a ton of accessories (including the NES Power Glove) are not in the pictures.

I have since bought a VGA adapter for the Dreamcast to play on my TV and have a SCART to HDMI adapter ready for when I get around to getting some SCART cables from across the pond for my SNES, Genesis, 32X, and Saturn.

9131659402_95f13548ab.jpg    9129447747_a5b8f4e352.jpg

9129444829_92bc4ff4ee.jpg

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I believe the politically correct term instead of retro gaming is classic gaming, lol.   Does having snes, nes, genesis, and gba emulators on my droid count?  Old school RPGs such as dragon warrior, final fantasy, chrono trigger, lufia, phantasy star, shining force, and zelda consumed many an hour in the day.  That style of game is by far may favorite and also one of the reasons that i love working on stuff with RPG Maker and playing some of those games.  It just brings me back to then.

I believe the politically correct term instead of retro gaming is classic gaming, lol.

Haha, yeah, I hear mixed things on that. For any of it to be "retro" or "classic" is a bit horrifying to me; I played the NES and SNES growing up, and now, for example, the Digital Press forums define "classic gaming" as "before Playstation 2." I still think of the *original* Playstation as relatively new. :P Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say that my primary interests lie in 8-bit and 16-bit systems, and, to some extent, the platforms that existed before the NES burst on the scene in the mid-'80s. Old-school RPGs are great, BTW. I actually have a great love for the oft-maligned Zelda II, even.

Did someone say retro gaming? :)

I posted these in the geek/nerd home thread awhile back, but they are definitely more fitting here. Quite a few games and a ton of accessories (including the NES Power Glove) are not in the pictures.

I have since bought a VGA adapter for the Dreamcast to play on my TV and have a SCART to HDMI adapter ready for when I get around to getting some SCART cables from across the pond for my SNES, Genesis, 32X, and Saturn.

Beautiful! I have a 32X as well that I found in a thrift store once; I just haven't gotten around to buying the cable to hook it up to the Genesis.

The Power Glove is on my shortlist of peripherals that I really want to pick up (that and ROB)...I have third-party QuickShots for a few systems, a handful of Zappers, the Konami lightgun for SNES Lethal Enforcers, a CIB SNES Super Scope, a CIB SNES Game Genie, loose Game Genies for a few other systems, the NES Advantage, etc., but I am always looking for more. I have a big shelving unit devoted almost exclusively to my NES stuff...my husband is very patient, haha. :P

I'm basically trying to live my childhood dream here, I think. ;)

Lol, I was joking about the retro vs classic thing,  it really sad though that people anything prior to playstation 2 "classic".  Personally the original playstation is really the transition point.  For me it sadly marked the rise of graphics which in my opinion ended up cause bloated game play times while reducing actual game play, final fantasy 7 with the auto double summon of knights of the round, you could basically run a 5k in the time it took.

Zelda 2 was a good game, it sadly suffered from the fact that the original was amazingly popular, in fact i still have an original gold cart, but also that the game play was significantly different than the original and through many players off.  Zelda 2 was actually a bit of a difficult game as well, if you replay it now its not that bad but gamers are significatly better now that we were back in the day.

As i said previously you should check out RPG Maker games, there are some good ones.  I am even working on one, something short to start with but not cliché with anything in it, suprisingly difficult lol.

You mention the FF7 summon, but the actual size of that game and the dedication to the story, battle system, character development etc was amazing. Yes, the time it took for KotR was ridiculous, but that game had a lot of substance. /fanboy

My very first game, if I can remember that far back, was Rainbow Islands on the original Spectrum. Slightly Magic was my favorite game of that era, and the Dizzy games. I could see those making a very welcome comeback.

I have to agree that FF7 was an amazing game, I was using the KotR as an example of over use of graphics to inflate game time.  Probably a better example would be something from the PS2 generation where it really took off, in games such as MSG2 and others with lots of cinematics.  Not trying to sounds like a grumpy old man about modern games lol.