Any "retro gamers" here?

My very first game, if I can remember that far back, was Rainbow Islands on the original Spectrum. Slightly Magic was my favorite game of that era, and the Dizzy games. I could see those making a very welcome comeback.

I got the Quattro Adventure unlicensed NES cart recently, which contains a few Codemasters games, and Treasure Island DIzzy is among them. I thought it was pretty interesting!

Right now I have the NES/SNES/N64/gamecube/Genesis/32X/SegaCD hooked up and play those.  I have a fewer other systems but they have been in their boxes for other a year.  I definitely prefer the TMNT, mario and sonic games.

I have also done lots of Sega CD homebrew (a kid's game called Riley's Letter Recycle, an ebook with lots of full length books called SCDBook, disassembled Cinepak for SegaCD code and made lots of video conversions that run on the Sega CD including Game Sack's FMV episode, and a collection of tools for homebrew called SCDTools).  I like how cheap the Sega CD homebrew is (just a CD-R and standard hardware).

A year ago I was buying lots of retro games and doing lots of homebrew, but I have really stopped that and just started enjoying the collection I already have.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I still haven't beaten Mike Tyson or Mr Dream in Punch Out.......

I have an emulator that I can play my favorite old NES games on; Mega Man series, Super Mario Bros., Kung Fu, Punch Out

I have but I don't know if it's still working is my old Atari and Colecovision systems with a bunch of games, I should try to hook those up some time

Anyone else never sell/trade in any of their games? I never saw the point of getting pennies for something that I just spent $40 on two weeks before, so I have an entire case of SNES, PS and PS2 games.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

If by retro you mean played atari and nintendo in the 80s then yes :)

Tetris and Super Mario Bros. are the best games ever.  And Kings Quest.  And Monkey Island.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Secret Identity: Kristy

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 5.5 | DEX 5.25 | STA 5.5 | CON 8.75 | WIS 7 | CHA 2.5

I regretted it and never sold any games again.

How's this for childhood trauma:

My father decided he was sick and tired of our Nintendo consoles dying and not being able to get them to work. I begged him to let me keep them. He boxed everything up, with me screaming after him, driving off with at least 30 games and two consoles, taking them to the dump. I still remember his stony face as he drove off with me in tears at the curb...

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

My father decided he was sick and tired of our Nintendo consoles dying and not being able to get them to work. I begged him to let me keep them. He boxed everything up, with me screaming after him, driving off with at least 30 games and two consoles, taking them to the dump. I still remember his stony face as he drove off with me in tears at the curb...

That's terrible.  I bought two broken NES systems for my son and I to refurbish.  I still have a pile of old games that he is getting into now.  

There was a racing game on the Atari 7800 that I loved, Pole Position 2.  I think I may have to get an emulator downloaded and get that one. 

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I am a huge fangirl of FF7. Apart from this, I still play Doom, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D, and Diablo II (Minecraft too, but it is retro only in appearance). I enjoyed WoW and LoL too, but soon or later I end on the same games than when I was 14.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Secret Identity: Kristy

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 5.5 | DEX 5.25 | STA 5.5 | CON 8.75 | WIS 7 | CHA 2.5

I'm not the collecting type. In fact I'm trying to rid myself of stuff. So I purposefully got rid of my old NES and SNES a couple of moves ago. Just clutter.

That being said yeah I play classic games. My 3DS is full of virtual console titles, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Super Mario Bros, Link's Awakening, Ice Climbers, the GB Mega Man games.

On my XBox 360 I have some of the old Sonic games, I also recently sought out and am playing through the old Mega Man Anniversary collection of Mega Man 1-8 from the original XBox era. It is one of the titles that the 360 is actually compatible with.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Wow, that is bad.  I have cut a pin on the lockout chip and rebent the pins on one of my NES decks and it works quite well.  Before I did that last year I didn't play the NES as often since I didn't want to waste my time trying to get it to work.

When I was in third grade, my family sold our Atari 7800 with about 30 games to buy an NES and one game.  I was too young to really be affected by that one (and Super Mario Bros was a great game).

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I regretted it and never sold any games again.

Oh....regrets from past sells and trades. As you can see in my pics, I no longer sell or trade any of my games, systems, or accessories, but if I have to label one past regret it would be the summer before I went to college. I owned a Sega CDX (see pic below) along with about 20 genesis games and 20-30 Sega CD games. I sold it all for next to nothing and headed off to college. I was living overseas at the time and only kept 3 of the games (Lunar, Lunar: Eternal Blue, and Vay) since the family I sold it to didn't speak English and figured the RPG's wouldn't be played. The redeeming factor was keeping those 3 games since I still own them today, but I SOLD MY CDX!!!! You can't find one for under $250 now. I also passed on getting a Model 1 Sega CD (front loading) for ~$30 bucks quite a few years ago ($150+ now).

segacdx.jpg

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I am a huge fangirl of FF7. Apart from this, I still play Doom, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D, and Diablo II (Minecraft too, but it is retro only in appearance). I enjoyed WoW and LoL too, but soon or later I end on the same games than when I was 14.

Heh. I love Diablo 2. I'm running my first hardcore character right now.

Anduril, level 3 human adventurer

(ranger wannabe)
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 3.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Intro thread | Daily Journal
Top weight 211, currently 184, goal weight 150 (5' 8-1/2")

Life has no remote; you have to get up and change it yourself.

I love the appeal that the retro games still have, but I've been too spoiled by modern games to appreciate much more than the design, art, sound and game feel of the gems, both hidden and in the open. So I've turned my love of retro games into watching my 3 favourite Lets Play/Review shows: Continue?, JonTron, and Game Grumps in that order.

I swear, I've laughed harder at those terrible shows than I have at anything in movies or T.V. in years.

Currently dividing my time between Colonization, Stars!, X-COM and Final Fantasy 6. Stars! is probably the 'nerdiest' game I know, a game with virtually no graphics and the deepest space 4X gameplay ever. 

I will not reinstall Diablo II. I will not reinstall Diablo II. I will not reinstall Diablo II. I will not reinstall Diablo II. I will not reinstall Diablo II...

Dammit, where's my CDs.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Last night while turning things off in the family room I saw that the Wii was still on so I plopped down on the chair and played a few levels of Zombies Ate My Neighbors with the classic controller, it was awesome, just the game last night was popping the zombies up right next to the victims so I wasn't able to get the saving all the victims bonus or the secret victim bonus

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Last night while turning things off in the family room I saw that the Wii was still on so I plopped down on the chair and played a few levels of Zombies Ate My Neighbors with the classic controller, it was awesome, just the game last night was popping the zombies up right next to the victims so I wasn't able to get the saving all the victims bonus or the secret victim bonus

Shut. The. Front. Door. I played the SHIT out of Zombies At My Neighbors. You can get that on the Wii?!?!

Okay so I played NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 as a kid. N64 was probably the last console I actively played but not the last console we owned. However, I got back into consoles with Skyrim for Xbox 360 and then (after numerous "fights" over the Xbox with my SO) I bought a Wii last weekend. It was cheap and I got Zelda: Twilight Princess and a classic controller. And then downloaded Mario 3, and Mario 64. So there will definitely be some "retro" gaming in my future.

... I realize that Mario 64 is probably not "retro" but considering I was 10 when Mario 64 came out, I think it's retro for me.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

When my boyfriend and I had just started seeing each other, but weren't exclusive yet, I was flirting with another guy and telling my now-boyfriend about it.  (Because full disclosure.)

His response?  "I bet I've gotten more endings in Chrono Trigger than he has." 

It was love from that moment on.  Chrono Trigger is still our favourite game.  <3

Is there anyone who still plays Diablo II? I think it could be funny having a nerd team.

Anytime I get the chance, which isn't often anymore, but on occasion.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge