forkboy battle log

I don't really have anything to log right now.  This is more of my preparatory place holder so I can continue to list updates outside of challenges.  I am just about to complete my first challenge and see from past challenges that we might take a week or three off so I will use this log to continue providing updates and remaining accountable to my new community when not actively in a challenge.

Besties.

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

So first week post challenge.  My workout today was as follows:

3 rounds of

10 one-legged squats (ea leg)

1 real and then 4 kipping pull-ups

25 push-ups

30 jumping lunges

65 second plank

10 burpees

Yesterday my meals were sort of meh, eggs and bacon for b-fast, protein shake for lunch, and a fish taco for dinner, with bunches of wine. 1,954 calories (over goal by 74), 96 carbs (damn tortilla over by 25), 87 fat, 114 protein, and 42 sugar (over by 4).

Food yesterday was eggs and bacon for b-fast, Biochem protein (2 scoops) for lunch, a red pepper shredded chicken meal for dinner, wine and some more protein powder.

1,776 calories, 56 carbs, 57 fat, 175 protein, and 32 sugar.

I ran 2 miles in 22 minutes this morning.

I had some pretty eye-opening reading provided by the gracious Donar and am really looking at my macro numbers again.  Sort of confused on conflicting information regarding carbs vs. fats basically.  Seems most agree high protein is a great way to go, but whether you lean more on fats or carbs seems to be debatable.  I definitely was leaning on fat the last 4 weeks and so no change in body fat percentages, weight loss, or observed body composition, so I am going to follow a plan closer to Donar's advice where possible for 4 weeks and see if I can make any budge.  Next challenge I will start with pics and 7 point caliper measurements as well.  Data data data.  Getting my carb and protein counts high but fat numbers low with a pure primal diet is going to be pretty hard.  I think I will need to rely more on supplemental nutritional products like egg whites, protein powders, and the like.  Carbs without excess sugar is really what I am struggling with right now.  When I play with the numbers I am determining it will be hard to get high carb counts and low sugar counts even with fruit, starch, and legumes added back in.  This morning for instance I have focused on high protein and low fat and my carb numbers are just not there.   Rice and pasta would get me there pretty quickly, but I am not sure I am ready for them yet.  I'm going to research some supplements/shakes today I think.  Tricky business this macro regulation thing.

So found some supplemental powders that can help.  Muscle Milk Gainer looks like it will help book some carb and protein without much impact on fat or sugar, bonus.  Then for extra protein I found Amp Whey 60 that is lots of protein a smidge of carb and hardly any fat or sugar.  I think using these to supplement my diet might be a nice why to hit the macro goals I will set in the next challenge.  Gonna pick some up!

Yesterday's Food:

b-fast--1 regular egg, 3 egg white scrambled eggs with salsa, a nectarine, 1 scoop Biochem Protein, some half and half in coffee

lunch--red pepper shredded chicken breast

dinner-red coconut curry shrimp and cauliflower

snacks-red wine and 2 more scoops Biochem

1,819 calories, 80 carbs (low), 46 fat (good), 180 protein (good), 51 sugar (slightly high)

Again, carbs is going to be hard without relying on rice, pasta, or a supplement powder (I will buy one Friday/Saturday, when I have time)

Workout today:

4 rounds--

Barbell Squat 145lbs 8x

Bench Press 115lbs 8x

Barbell Straight Leg Good Mornings 45lbs 8x

Lat Pulldowns 115lbs 8x

Planks 65sec

Yesterday's Food:

b-fast--1 regular egg, 3 egg white scrambled eggs with salsa, a nectarine, 1 scoop Biochem Protein, some half and half in coffee

lunch--red pepper shredded chicken breast

dinner-red coconut curry shrimp and cauliflower

snacks-red wine and 2 more scoops Biochem

1,819 calories, 80 carbs (low), 46 fat (good), 180 protein (good), 51 sugar (slightly high)

Again, carbs is going to be hard without relying on rice, pasta, or a supplement powder (I will buy one Friday/Saturday, when I have time)

Pretty solid....it takes a couple weeks to get in the groove....

No idea of what you like/dislike.....but *awesome* carb sources: beans, oats, fruit

I put 10g-20g of oats right in my shaker with my protein powder sometimes....odd consistency....but it can make the shake more...."filling"

Canned beans are a mega-time saver.....watch the sugar on the label....but chicken breast smothered in beans is soopah tasty!

Fruit is a yummy was to throw in 20-30 carbs at a time.....

I love to do a half pound of watermelon/canteloupe/honey dew with my post-workout shake.

Also, don't count the sugar in fruit as "sugar"....only processed sugar is the evil....:)

OK....I will shut up now....lol

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty solid....it takes a couple weeks to get in the groove....

No idea of what you like/dislike.....but *awesome* carb sources: beans, oats, fruit

I put 10g-20g of oats right in my shaker with my protein powder sometimes....odd consistency....but it can make the shake more...."filling"

Canned beans are a mega-time saver.....watch the sugar on the label....but chicken breast smothered in beans is soopah tasty!

Fruit is a yummy was to throw in 20-30 carbs at a time.....

I love to do a half pound of watermelon/canteloupe/honey dew with my post-workout shake.

Also, don't count the sugar in fruit as "sugar"....only processed sugar is the evil.... :)

OK....I will shut up now....lol

All awesome tips man, thanks as always!  I hate melons (the fruit kind), but will definitely continue to put other fruit in the rotation.  Are the oats like rolled oats?  Uncooked?  Thanks again!

Found you! lol

Shame on you- shoulda told me you were moving!!!! :playful:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Are the oats like rolled oats?  Uncooked?  Thanks again!

Nah....I see all the steel cut oats....and OMG super oats....but they are all just carbs.....I do the el cheapo ones.....an instant because they get nice and chewy in the shake....lol

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/quick-oats.aspx

How about wine?   ;)  I get too much sugar from red wine for sure.

I drink about 2 drinks a year....lol....so I don't really know....

It is alcohol though which dehydrates you....which is bad.

But its up to you.....it will be interesting to see if you can recomp drinking regularly I guess....lol

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday food:

After workout I had to eat at work cafeteria again, I know next Wed I have to bring my own shake or something, because b-fast ended up throwing off the whole day in the fat arena.  3 scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of sausage and a nectarine I brought with.  Lunch was more leftover red pepper shredded chicken, dinner was pineapple pork short ribs and a sweet potato, snacks were small OJ (gave blood yesterday), wine, and some Biochem protein.

1,861 calories, 98 carbs, 167 protein, 70 fat, and 59 sugar.

Workout this morning was 6x 30 sec sprints with 2 min interval rest/walk

Good job on thinking ahead for the next time! And awesome getting a workout in during the off week! ^_^

Got your goals figured out for Monday yet?

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Good job on thinking ahead for the next time! And awesome getting a workout in during the off week! ^_^

Got your goals figured out for Monday yet?

Thanks Ash!  Yep, I had a draft I started on about a week and a half ago, I have made minor edits almost every day.  I am ready to post as soon as it goes up. ;)

Thanks Ash!  Yep, I had a draft I started on about a week and a half ago, I have made minor edits almost every day.  I am ready to post as soon as it goes up. ;)

Got 'em in my head, now I need to put them on paper! ^_^ lol

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Yes, I am... I have been so busy at work and haven't had much time to spend on NF.  Sigh.  Performance review time around here.  Gotta list things I did since August last year and evaluate them.  >.<

But, I kept my first challenge goals going though!  Rawr!  And, I am gonna spend tomorrow to write out my goals for the next challenge.  Rawr!

I will be stalking you, too!  YAY YAY! :D

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

The July 29th Challenge has come to an end! Please post your results summary in the results summary thread started in your guild by your guild leaders!

The next 6 week challenge runs from September 16th until October 27th. More details will be posted by Wednesday.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think today is Thursday. ;)

Yep forkboy, it is. (Ash is nodding IMPATIENTLY) :confusion: lol

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

*giggles at Fork and Ash*

Hello, I'm here to follow.  Er, I followed Ash here.  Whatever.

Welcome to the Brigade, forkboy!  Looking forward to keeping up with your second challenge!

Oh and as far as Donar's oats -- how about grinding them in a coffee grinder before you add them to your shakes?  I ground them to keep in a container by my bathtub for itchy dry winter skin, but I'm guessing it would give some overall thickness rather than chewiness.   :tongue:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

*giggles at Fork and Ash*

Hello, I'm here to follow.  Er, I followed Ash here.  Whatever.

Welcome to the Brigade, forkboy!  Looking forward to keeping up with your second challenge!

Oh and as far as Donar's oats -- how about grinding them in a coffee grinder before you add them to your shakes?  I ground them to keep in a container by my bathtub for itchy dry winter skin, but I'm guessing it would give some overall thickness rather than chewiness.   :tongue:

Thanks Jodi V, both for the tip and the welcome!  I will likely lurk on fellow brigade members' threads as well, so go kill it!