forkboy battle log

Love the profile pic! Look at that smile!!! ;) lol

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Oh and as far as Donar's oats -- how about grinding them in a coffee grinder before you add them to your shakes?  I ground them to keep in a container by my bathtub for itchy dry winter skin, but I'm guessing it would give some overall thickness rather than chewiness.   :tongue:

Very true! Makes for more of a "smoothie" consistency if that is your thing.

I actually like chewing on it....lol

Elbow: Can you do beans? They are an unreal carb source with lots of fiber too...:) And if you are looking to get stronger/bigger you will want carbs to fuel your gains....and support protein synthesis (assuming you are getting enough)....*nodding

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Yesterday:  1 egg, 2 egg white scrammbled with salsa and some refried beans, 2 scoops Biochem protein, chicken salad (wow fat in Paradise Bakery dressing killed me, oops), Bacon Chipotle Chicken for dinner, some wine.

1,698 calories, 78 carb, 65 fat, 119 protein, 23 sugar.

I started a 3 mile easy jog this morning but my legs were like lead.  I was really dragging.  I couldn't even finish the previous week's 2 miler before I had to walk, so ended up 2 miles in 25 minutes, eeek.  Oh well, rest I guess for some more heavy lifting tomorrow.

Happy Friday all!

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

That was an accident. ;)  I meant to change it but not to the "real" one.  Someday...

Ahhhhhh darn it! I like the other. ^_^

Lol, ok, this one for now. But someday......K? ^_^

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Food Yesterday:  1 egg, 2 egg white scrammbled with salsa and some refried beans, 2 scoops Biochem protein, chicken salad (wow fat in Paradise Bakery dressing killed me, oops), Bacon Chipotle Chicken for dinner, some wine.

1,698 calories, 78 carb, 65 fat, 119 protein, 23 sugar.

I started a 3 mile easy jog this morning but my legs were like lead.  I was really dragging.  I couldn't even finish the previous week's 2 miler before I had to walk, so ended up 2 miles in 25 minutes, eeek.  Oh well, rest I guess for some more heavy lifting tomorrow.

Happy Friday all!

Good job on the food!

Heh, sounds like we had a very similar morning, ugh! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's pre-challenge stress from waiting on them to get it posted!!! sigh..........

Though I did see Gainsdalf said the new boards WOULD be up Monday and to be ready.

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Fork - nice job on the food.

Donar - nope on beans. No legumes in addition to no grains. I stick pretty close to primal. I don't think it's going to be an issue for a while because I'm going to be lifting primarily to lose fat. I'll worry about adding mass later. This seems to be acceptable from what I've read in the rebel ate fry guide, but I have much reading to do still.

There's lots of carbs in coconut water, squash, and sweet potato, all of which are kosher for me. And my protein is usually decent, 100 to 150 most days, IIRC.

Fork - nice job on the food. Donar - nope on beans. No legumes in addition to no grains. I stick pretty close to primal. I don't think it's going to be an issue for a while because I'm going to be lifting primarily to lose fat. I'll worry about adding mass later. This seems to be acceptable from what I've read in the rebel ate fry guide, but I have much reading to do still. There's lots of carbs in coconut water, squash, and sweet potato, all of which are kosher for me. And my protein is usually decent, 100 to 150 most days, IIRC.

I too am still going to avoid rice, pasta, and other grains.  I will try and get my carbs from fruit, vegetables (all of them, including potatoes), adding back legumes, and I am going to buy a weight gainer powder this weekend to round out my days when falling short.

I too am still going to avoid rice, pasta, and other grains.  I will try and get my carbs from fruit, vegetables (all of them, including potatoes), adding back legumes, and I am going to buy a weight gainer powder this weekend to round out my days when falling short.

Weight gainer is a fabulous tool to have in your macronutrient toolbox! *nodding.....and they usually taste soopah yummy!

And when you do partial servings.....it lasts *forever*.

Sculptor - Warrior

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So sorry about your grandparent. :(

Still the off week forkboy, don't sweat it......

Come in kickin ass on Monday!!! :triumphant: 

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your grandparent.  Sending you peace and light.

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

k, so this will be my last entry in my battle log until our next "break in the action" between 6-week challenges.  I will move my posts, starting tomorrow, over to my challenge thread.  My debauchery yesterday resulted in a whopping 2,973 calories, 336 g carbs, 85 g fat, 120 protein, 78 sugar.  Yikes!  Tomorrow we start anew, though so I am optimistic.

I picked up some Muscle Milk Weight Gainer (180 calories, 27.5g carbs, 8g protein, 2.25g fat, 1.5g sugar per scoop) and Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 protein powder ( 90 calories, 2g carbs, 20g protein, .5g fat, <1g sugar per scoop) today to help supplement my meals by increasing my protein, carbs, and calories as needed without significant increases in fat or sugar.  Hopefully I can start hitting my macro goals within the first few days.

See you all on the other side!

So I am going to test to see whether I can maintain my weight and swap lean mass for fat all while I recalibrate my metabolism by upping my daily caloric average to 2,100 calories, up from 1,800 the last 6 weeks (not really measured much prior to that, but quite possibly much lower at times, particularly with all the IF I was doing).  I am going to go with the same 40/35/25 split which comes out to 210 protein, 184 carbs, and 58 fat.  I am not going to make other significant changes, but I am not going to fear some carbs as I have in the past.  This does not mean I am going to binge on pasta and rice and pizza, but I realize now that carbs are not my enemy so a corn tortilla now and then likely is not going to hurt is all I mean.  Most of my carbs will be coming from veggies, fruit, and oats still.  I am still going to limit my alcohol intake as that made it much easier to hit my macro goals and was nice to re-learn that I don't "need" it as a daily de-stresser.  I had some diet soda the past few weeks too and realize it should not be an all the time occurrence but I know now that I do not need to fear it either.  I still have a long way to go toward my 15% BF goal, but now 2 challenges down the path I can see definite progress and am excited about it.  This week I will be spending much like last, but reflecting on new goals for challenge 3, yay!  Like, for instance, how can I lift more heavy things.  I am a little bored with my body weight stuff and would love to add a third day at the gym if possible and increase the number of exercises I am doing while there.  I think I will get in a cheat meal this week too. ;)  A beer sounds nice....

Way to go forkboy!

Sounds like you are really learning a sense of balance!

Looking forward to being there with you as you kill the next challenge!! :triumphant: :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Remember....when introducing more carbs after a period of carb restriction....a scale uptick is likely....but totally expected.

Your newly hydrated muscles will thank you with some scorching gym sessions. ;)

Sculptor - Warrior

So I am trying a new caloric intake approach of 2,000 on rest days and 2,200 on workout days to average ~2,100 a day.

Monday was 2,013 calories, 150 carb, 53 fat, and 203 protein.  Tuesday was 2,090 calories 124 carb, 42 fat, and 206 protein.  Too much alcohol threw me off.  What can I say, it is an off week and I am going to go back to my no alcohol at home rule for the next 6 week challenge...

So I learned a pretty important lesson in the gym today... Drinking too much alcohol the night before is very hazardous to performance.  I kept my squat weight from Saturday but completed fewer reps, very sad.  I guess the opposite of your comment Donar, my muscles were likely dehydrated and cranky.

Workout sets were

Squat 210lb x5 x4 x3

Bench Press 150lb x5 x5 x5

Good Mornings 90lb x5 x5 x5

Pull-ups -55lb x5 x5 x5

Dips -55lb x5 x5 x5

Planks 75sec, 60sec x2

I have worked out a plan to get in a third gym trip in each week so I am stoked about that.  I will start that next week.  This is what I am thinking for the next six week challenge as a 2-week lifting cycle:

Mondays - Squats, OHP, Chin-ups, Dips, Planks

Wednesdays - Squats, Bench Press, Good Mornings, Pull-ups, Planks

Friday - Fun Run

Saturdays - Squats, OHP, Deadlift, Chin-ups, Dips, Planks

Mondays - Squats, Bench Press, Pull-ups, Dips, Planks

Wednesdays - Squats, OHP, Good Mornings, Chin-ups, Planks

Friday - Fun Run

Saturdays - Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift, Pull-ups, Dips, Planks

Happy Wednesday!

Sorry about the off day, but Yay on the extra gym day!  :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

So I learned a pretty important lesson in the gym today... Drinking too much alcohol the night before is very hazardous to performance.  I kept my squat weight from Saturday but completed fewer reps, very sad.  I guess the opposite of your comment Donar, my muscles were likely dehydrated and cranky.

Yeah....lol.....dehydration is one of the worst things you can do to your recomp efforts. ;)

But like most things....if done in moderation....not a big deal....but squatting drunk is not on my list of recommendations....hahaa!

Sculptor - Warrior

Well, I totally blew this week.  I definitely fell off the wagon again.  I didn't set clear goals for myself this week and let myself give in to my old habits.  I am looking forward to the next challenge so I can get back on track...

So sorry, but so glad to hear you are gearing up for the next challenge! I am really anxious for it to get started too!

Have an awesome day forkboy!  :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler