I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and start a battle log. Hopefully this will help me maintain motivation through accountability. Motivation is probably my number one problem. Seems like I have a severe deficit of willpower. Always gung ho in the beginning...then trailing off into complete failure. Like so many others I have piddled around with diets and exercise...never really knowing exactly what I'm doing. Now I have NerdFitness...and things are actually working.

I won't kill a bunch of internet trees expounding on goals and such. Just the usual stuff. I want to look good and feel good. Mostly a mental thing. I don't want to loathe the man in the mirror.

So far I have managed to adopt a modified paleo diet. The only modifications are dairy and tomatoes. I love them both, and don't really feel like they are killing me. Sugar is completely gone, with exceptions to a treat now and then...which I always feel guilty about. Grain and rice are very rare, which is hard for me because I love bread and sushi. Also, attempting to stick with intermittent fasting during the week...which I really like since it really things easier in the evening.

Been doing mostly body weight workouts for the past 4 weeks. Last week I started reading about stronglifts..which I immediately started. I'm doing it with dumbbells until I can either convince work to get a olympic weight set...or find a GYM that I can deal with. (I have some ridiculous phobia about people seeing me work out).

Seem to be holding at 268-270lbs right now....but the fat loss is starting to become apparent in my face. My legs are getting huge...and oddly angular.

I would really like to look something like this again. But currently I'm more of this.

So, I suppose tomorrow I will log todays workout and meals..and so forth and so on.

Keep me accountable people!

Level 3 Human Adventurer

STR:8 DEX:4 STA:2 CON:5 WIS:2 CHR:2

Battle Log

Past Challenges: 1 2 3

"I do it all because I'm evil, and I do it all for free...your tears are all the pay I'll ever need." -Voltaire

09-04-2013

Lunch: Bowl of raw vegetables. Boiled egg. And a chicken breast.

Couldn't work out much since this is my rest day and I'm afraid of screwing up, so I just did a brisk walk on the treadmill until I was pretty warmed up then some BW squats and planks. Followed by lots of stretching.

Decided to go look at some GYMs to try and get an idea of what was around. I'm such a sucker. Looks like I now have a membership at AnytimeFitness. I have an "evaluation" by one of their trainers Monday. Which I really do not look forward to. I just want to show up...do my thing...then leave.

Dinner was bad. I spent too much time being bullied into my gym membership. Missed my feed window. And ate junk. (chicken express)

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

"I do it all because I'm evil, and I do it all for free...your tears are all the pay I'll ever need." -Voltaire

09-05-2013

Lunch: Pho...a large bowl. I know the rice noodles are a no no...but it was a going away lunch for one of out developer contractors and is my buddy.

Went to the gym for the first time this evening. Were barely any people there...which really helped me with my phobia. I miss calculated my working weight because I was nervous. Not really sure if I should just continue from there...or go back to where I'm supposed to be.

Squats: 5x5 85lbs

Press: 5x5 85lbs

Row: 5x5 85lbs

Overhead press(just for giggles): 5x2 85lbs

I need to research stretches. I realized that I'm not really sure what to do when it comes to that part, and end up just doing whatever.

I understand now why Medhi says to do these with the bar and not dumbbells. It was sooo much easier to squat with the bar.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

post-16906-0-12978500-1378491669_thumb.j

My usual lunch when at work. I really have no clue as to the caloric content. Suppose I should work it out just to have an idea what I'm consuming. There is a boiled egg hidden in that pile of veggies somewhere. Not much else to choose from here at work. They do have chicken breasts...but they want like $3.50 for them...so I usually abstain.  

post-16906-0-12978500-1378491669_thumb.j

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

Skipped workout on Saturday. Going today to try and get my schedule arranged in a more convenient way.

Didn't do "too" bad on foor this weekend. Only attrocities were a pumpkinspice muffin and a pizza. I don't feel too bad about that on the weekend though...as long as I'm good through the week.

Those overhead presses I did were a mistake. Could hardly turn my head this weekend.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-09-2013

Ate my usuall salad eggs and cottage cheese for lunch. Ate a similar salad at 4 pm as well. Small protein shake before working out. I think I'm getting WAY below my target caloric intake. I need to get a better idea of what I'm eating.

Workout went like this.

Squats 95lbs 5x5

Press 95lbs 5x5

Bent Over Rows 95lbs 5x5

Not bothering to count the warmups. Squats are starting to get really easy. I'm excited about that.

Used the foam roller for the first time. My calves are jacked up.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

Yesterday's meals:

1. Similar to the vegetable bowl above....but they had no cottage cheese so I had two boiled eggs. 12:00pm

2. Coldcut hoagie. White bread. I know its not a good thing....but it was that or potato salad. They had rolled up the salad bar. I need to get my salad ahead of time so this doesn't happen. 4:00pm

My chest is sore today. I hope it does not hinder my workout.

Posted "before" pics in my gallery. Hopefully there will be some change by the time I do it again in October.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-11-2013

Meal one: Big chicken ceasar salad and a bowl of cottage cheese.

Meal two: Chicken spinach wrap and a bowl of cottage cheese.

Protein shake before workout.

Squat 5x5 105lbs

Overhead Press 5x5 65lbs

Deadlift 5 65lbs

The side of my right knee hurts. Has me worried that I might be squatting wrong or something. I also realized that I'm only supposed to be adding 5lbs instead of 10 each time. Going to back that off.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-12-2013

Meal one: Steak kabobs! Once in a while they make good things in the cafeteria. 12pm

Meal two: Philly steak calzone. They had rolled up the salad bar before I got there....jerks. For every act of awesome they must balance the scales with equal parts crappeh. 4pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cramps in my calves all last night. Muscles around my knees are sore. Sorta worried about tonights workout. Maybe I'm not getting enough water or something?

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

Food crimes are happening today. We are having a pot-luck in the office to celebrate the retirement of one of our archaic security programs. I've already had chili, bbq chicken, cheese, ham, veggie dip, chips, seven layer dip, apple w/caramel, and a brownie. 

I hate myself.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

Skipped my workout Friday. I'm having some trouble with the IT in my right leg. Mistook it for something about to hurt me bad. Pretty much have it figured out now, and will be doing tonight's workout along with LOTS of stretching and foam rolling.

This weekend's food crimes were not nearly as bad as the potluck Friday. Had some BBQ chicken leftover from Friday for lunch/dinner Saturday. Fasted all Saturday night. Sunday I had a big evil burger from Carls Jr for lunch. Fried chicken, squash, and mashed potatoes for dinner. only had one little scoop of taters...I was proud of myself. Buttery delicious little bastards..taters. 

Finished up my goals and such for the 6 week challenge. Feel really positive about this one.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-16-2013

Meal 1: Beef tips w/pepers. Raw vegetables. Asparagus

Meal 2: Raw vegatable bowl. Cottage cheese.

Protein shake after workout.

Workout:

Squats 5x5 @ 100lbs (deloaded a bit until I can figure out this issue with my knee)

Press 5x5 @ 100lbs

Row 5x5 @ 100lbs

Spent a considerable amount of time with the foam roller after the workout. The IT band in my right leg is screwed up and giving me trouble.

Managed to get my water intake up to a more healthy level yesterday. Hopefully I can keep that up.

Today I have lunch with the president of the company. God knows what they will order.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-17-2013

Meal 1: Lunch with the bigwigs was catered by Panera....joy. I got away with eating a large greek salad and two of the little roast beef sandwiches. I managed to stay away from the chips and cookies....go me.

Meal 2: Burrito from Taco Mayo. I know this wasn't so good. I had actually planned to skip second meal because of the panera....but the wife wanted dinner and social pressure got to me. Strange how you aren't hungry until someone else is eating.

Foam rolled and stretched a couple times at work. I think the knee pain is going to go away....hopefully.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-18-2013

Meal 1: pork loin, sweet potatoes, raw vegetables.

Meal 2: Ham and provolone on king's bread. (could have killed them over the bread)

Pre-workout protein shake.

Squats 105lbs

OHP 70lbs

DL 70lbs

The knee wasn't hurting any at all right up until my last set of squats...then it once again made itself known.  Foam rolled and stretched after the workout and the knee quited down. Some absorbine last night before bed and it just barely feels sore this morning. Seems to be getting better and better. Uploaded a form video to see if maybe that is causing it.

Been working on my water intake. I had one 64oz cup of water at work. Along with three cups of coffee. And two 20oz bottles during the workout.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-19-2013

Lunch: Santafe chicken salad.

Dinner: Food crimes! Dealing with some family stuff resulted in me breaking down and going to the buffet WAY past my feed window.

Knee is quiet today. I'm going to foam roll at work before tonight's workout. Hopefully everything is cool with it.

Got some great advice about my squat form...so maybe that will help.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-20-2013

Lunch: Vegetable bowl & baked tilapia fillet.

Dinner: Two words...State....Fair. We will not discuss what happened. Only know that there were sticks and batter involved.

Worked out Saturday instead of Friday this week. Walked like 3miles at the fair...so I figured it would be bad to squat after that.

09-21-2013

Workout:

Squat- 110lbs @ 5x5

Press- 105lbs @ 5x5

Row-   105lbs @ 5x5

Knee hurts again, but only for a few hours after squatting. Almost no pain after one day. Rolling and stretching seems to help a lot. Going to try a recovery shake starting Monday.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-23-2013

Workout B is not my favorite. My OHP is weak. I'm getting closer to having proper form on the squats though!

Squats- 115lbs 5x5

OHP - 75lbs 5x5

DL - 75lbs 5x5

Managed to drink lots of water and coffee...and a really nasty post workout supplement (tastes like Flintstones chewable vitamins)

Lunch: Raw vegetables. Squash grilled in butter. Some sort of sausage with peppers.

Only one meal today.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-25-2013

YAY for workout A!

Squats- 120lbs 5x5

Press- 110lbs 5x5

Row- 110lbs 5x5

My squat form is getting better and better. I learned that I was not locking my back, was not looking forward, and kept letting my knees track too far in. I've managed to correct most of that and the movement feels much better.

Meal 1: Chicken Caesar Salad.

Meal 2: Smoked turkey wrap.

And an after workout recovery thing.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-28-2013

Workout B...."b" is for bleh. Nearly failed my OHP. Made my rage face and squeezed them out though. Feels sad to be struggling with such low weight.

Squat- 125lbs 5x5

OHP- 80lbs 5x5

DL - 80lbs 5

I keep considering moving my DL up to the same weight as my squat....but I'm terrified of screwing up my progression. 80lb DLs feel like a joke though.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

09-30-2013

Workout A!! Woot!

Squat- 130lbs

Press- 115lbs

Row- 115lbs

Workout was easy last night. Barely broke a sweat. I'm feeling great! The increase in water consumption is really helping me out.

Stretching and foam rolling is going well. Don't know if I'm making any real progress with increasing flexibility...but I'm not really losing any either. I've stopped foam rolling so often...only when I suspect a problem.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

HAve not had enough time to keep this log current while still reporting to my challenge, so just a quick update.

10-09-2013

Squat 140

Press and Row 120

No pain at all. Movements feel really smooth and easy.

Expanding the list of stretches I do after workout. Hoping to get some more range of motion in my legs. SQuat to stand with reach seems to be working well.

Diet has been a little iffy lately. Mostly salad while at work, but there have been some evenings when I broke my IF schedule badly.

Coming up on time for new progress pics. Probably this weekend.

My water intake has been steady for the last three weeks...and it seems to have made a real impact on my recovery time. Foam rolling has become less necessary as I do not seem to have any triggers.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log

It has been a while since I have updated here. Mostly because of the challenges and annoyance involved with keeping up multiple threads. Figured I would just toss up a quick update since I want to keep this log long term.

My first challenge went quite well. I achieved all my goals with a much higher score than I could have anticipated. The only regret is that I did not manage to build a habit of going to the gym.

The second challenge has gotten off to a very rocky start. A death in the family has impacted my willpower in such a way as to make it far to easy to skip out on anything "hard". I have hopes that I will be able to pull it out though.

Currrent working weights are:

Squat = 165lbs

OHP = 100lbs

Press = 135lbs

Row = 135lbs

Dead Lift = 165lbs

My weight has dropped to ~260lbs. It fluctuates +-2lbs or so.

Have not taken measurements yet...but it is very apparent that I am getting smaller. My chest is less like moobs and more like pecs....which is kinda cool. :)

Diet changes have gone well. The reduction in sugar intake has changed the way food tastes. Sweets are nasty, soda is nasty. My IF schedule has suffered a bit due to erratic living conditions...but continues to improve slowly. Having trouble letting go of bread.

New waypoints have been cropping up on the path to my long term goal. Coming up with new short term goals is getting easier as I figure out what is possible.

The Blerch will lose this battle....eventually.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Battle Log