I used to be fit...what happened?

I've gone from being a really fit body builder, 7 day a week gym attendee, half marathon runner with a fantastic bod' (if I say so myself), to this person who cant even do one press up.  What happened?  When I hit 40 I gave up exercise that's what.  Real cool huh!  Now suddenly I'm 50,,,,,AHHHHHHH.  Are there any other oldies out there who can share their experience of the nerd fitness rebellion and can help me 'find' my old self giving me tips and hints along the way?

Wait to hear. :redface-new:

Hi there - welcome! 

I'm not 50, but I'm 1/2 of a 25-year-old twin set so x2 and does that count? :P 

I just saw that this intro didn't have a reply yet and ALL NEWBIES MUST BE WELCOMED so I thought I'd post! :D Glad to have you here and hope you do find your niche and a few like-minded fitness buddies to chevvy you along the way. 

(One thing my Father did, which actually really helped him pick things up - and got him fitter than he was before he turned 50 - was get into coaching. He started playing badminton and joined a bunch of clubs (both social and competitive) and then got really good -  good enough to do a coaching course in it. He's now a professional badminton coach and he freaks out the Dr's (and the younger guys getting coached) with how fit he is. He was never a bodybuilder, but maybe there is something you can get into on the coaching/mentoring side of things that might also benefit your own return to fitness. I bet you must have learned a lot from the body building and also the running, too. Maybe have a think about what this could be reapplied to? Or just try something new and get into it. People come to new sports from all ages and walks of life and I'm sure there's something out there that you'll enjoy if you seek it out. You've got experience on your side and who knows where it will lead?) 

Keep us updated and let us know how you get on!

Very best ;)

Hi,

I'm 40 and from about 25 to 38 I was pretty fit...then life gave me a few problems (wife cheating after 8 years marriage, lost my kid, unemployed), and I really started to slip. Then I re-discovered this site, and it hit a switch. I'm now fit and healthy (and still working on the other issues). It can be done, and it's easier than you think (most of it is diet!)...

Just find that switch and hit it. For me the switch was proving to myself that I could change, and just working steadily towards it.

Sorry this reply is a month late, I've only just signed up to the forums!

Cheers,

Luke.

I have not had an extreme case of being away from the gym but about 5 years back i injured my shoulder and it sidelined me for like 6 months i went from 225 stud to 235 fatty saw my stomach begin to lap over my belt shoulder healed and low and behold i am 225 again pretty solid just need to get my running figured out.  Keep it up it will come back with time.  And welcome back.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2