Starting again: Either this or upon this

RANDOM INFO

Motivation (goals):

GI-Jane.jpg

sarah-connor.jpg

Bodyweight: 67 kg | 148 lbs

Height: 165 cm | 5'' 5'

Photos:

Instead of start telling you my past, I think I prefer starting again without looking back, so this is what I am RIGHT NOW and the new journey that I am going to start.

I am an amalgam of different classes, but I am trying to focus on my spiritual side, so I think I am more druid now, but I like to lift weights - which makes me closer to warriors - and run - like a ranger/scout.

My main problem is food. I don't know how to eat properly (healthy). On one hand, I am Buddhist, so I feel comfortable with a vegetarian diet, but on the other hand I think that paleolithic diet is a more "human" diet (according to our evolution as hominids). This is a huge dilemma for me. Also, I am human and I life on a western society, so I like bread, beer, coffee, dairy and sweets. This will be a long battle, I think, with an external enemy (the last "meals" I numbered) and an internal enemy (me and my dilemmas).

So I've been thinking that the best I can do for the next couple of weeks is keep a journal with all my meals (the most precise that I could be) and, then, trying to make improvements over it.

I think this is enough as an introduction.

I will be grateful for your visits, comments and any kind of feedback.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

This is my planning (the activities I do every week scheduled). Maybe it is too much sport, but I love doing sport (my problem is at the kitchen).

4x strength workout

3x running

3x spinning

1x TRX

1x Bodycombat

2x Bodypump

1x yoga

1x pilates

1x indoor walking

Monday

8:30 a.m. strength workout

9:30 a.m. running

8:30 p.m. TRX

Tuesday

9:30 a.m.   Bodycombat

10:30 a.m. Bodypump

4:30 p.m.   yoga

Wednesday

8:30 a.m. strength workout

9:30 a.m. spinning

Thursday

9:00 p.m. Bodypump

Friday

8:30 a.m.   strength workout

9:30 a.m.   indoor walking

10:30 a.m. spinning

6:30 p.m.   pilates

Saturday

6:00 p.m. strength workout

7:00 p.m. spinning

Sunday

REST DAY

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

My strength routine

Monday

Sets      Rep.Bench press -------------  4  -----  3-5Barbell row -------------  4  -----  3-5Dumbell military press --  3  -----  8-10Pull-ups ----------------  3  -----  8-10Push-ups ----------------  2  -----  10-12Biceps curl -------------  2  -----  10-12French press ------------  2  -----  10-12

Wednesday

Sets        Rep.Hack squat --------------  3  -------  3Front squat -------------  3  ------  6-8Deadlifth ---------------  3  ------  6-8Leg curl ----------------  2  ------  10Leg extension -----------  2  ------  10

Friday

Sets     Rep.Military press ------------ 4 ------ 5Incl bench press ---------- 2 ----- 10-12Dumbell incl. bench press - 3 ----- 8-10Dumbell openings ---------- 2 ----- 8-10Birds --------------------- 3 ----- 8-10

Saturday

Sets     Rep.Deadlifh ---------------- 1 ------ 3Chin-ups ---------------- 3 ------ 5Dumbell row ------------- 3 ----- 8-10Low row ----------------- 2 ----- 10-12Push-ups ---------------- 2 ----- 10-12Dumbell biceps curl ----- 2 ----- 8-10French press ------------ 2 ----- 8-10

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

More things... As I said on my epic quest topic, I'm trying to pass two examinations: library assistant and the examination for the superior school of music. I'm doing a timetable in order to be able to study both at the same time I keep fit.

The library assistant examination is the first exam, so what I am going to do is the following.

1st week: 3 hours/day studying + 3 hours/day playing the piano.

2nd week: 4 hours studying + 3 hours piano.

3rd week: 5 hours + 3 hours.

4th week: 6 hours + 3 hours.

I'll keep this schedule until the library examination. When it were done, I'll restart the timetable inverting the hours (more hours for piano). I don't think I'll pass the other exam on my first time, I know that being a public employee is an endurance race, so...

And the last thing: I want to practice meditation (I think I'll bee too busy, it could help me managing the stress). I'm starting with 3 minutes before each meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner).

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

September 8th

09:00

3 slices of multi-grain bread, 1 slice of turkey, 4 eggs (white)

1 glass of milk (+ non-sugar chocolate)

1 slice of melon, 1 nectarine

12:00

1 yoghurt

15:00

1 zucchini cream (homemade)

1 chicken breast

1 apple

1 cafe latte

18:30

30 g oats + 100 ml milk + decaffeinated coffee

1 banana

21:30

1 tuna salad (lettuce, corn, tuna canned in olive oil, tomato, onions)

1 yoghurt

water: 8 glasses ~ 1.5 l.

alcohol: Ø (yay!).

I meditated 3' before breakfast and before dinner.

No study, but 1.5 hours of piano.

Rest day.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

On my second day tracking my meals I'm starting to see where I overeat, so I've been designing a meal plan (now I don't really care about grams and Kcal, I'll calculate them if I don't lose weight and/or if I track them and I see that I am still overeating). More or less is this:

BREAKFASTS

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat: 40 g oat flakes + 1 banana + 200 ml skimmed milk + cafe latte + 1 fruit.

Tue, Thu: 30 g oat flakes + 4 eggs (white) + 200 ml skimmed milk + cafe latte + 1 fruit.

Sun: 40 g oat flakes + 200 ml skimmed milk + orange juice + cafe latte + 1 fruit.

MORNING SNACKS

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat: 2 slices of whole wheat bread + 2 turkey slices/ cheese + 1/2 tomato.

Tue, Thu: 1 yoghurt + 1 fruit.

Sun: 1 fruit.

LUNCHS

Mon: lentils/chickpeas/whatever + 4 eggs (white) + 1 fruit + cafe latte.

Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat: rice/pasta/whatever + vegetables + chicken/fish (alternate) + 1 fruit + cafe latte.

Wed: sardines/tuna salad + 4 eggs (white) + 1 fruit + cafe latte.

Sun: rice + 2 eggs + vegetables + 1 fruit + cafe latte.

EVENING SNACKS

Mon to Sat: 1 yoghurt + 1 fruit.

Sun: 2 slices of whole wheat bread + 2 turkey slices + 1/2 tomato + 1 fruit.

DINNERS

Mon: vegetables + fish/chicken + 1 yoghurt.

Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat: tuna salad + 4 eggs (white) + herbs infusion with milk.

Wed: soup + fish/chicken + 1 yoghurt.

Sun: tuna salad + 1 yoghurt.

I am going to check my bodyweight when I'll come back from the gym (if my leg lets me go!). Then I'll check it again at the end of this week and let's see if my planning is good. Now I'm with my knee injury and I am not doing much sport, but what I use to do is A LOT, so... My main fear is not to eat enough when I am training, but my mistake is that I overeat.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

September 9th

I've been tracking during today all my meals BUT now the post is lost (I think that it disappeared when I've written the above comment), so I don't want to remember again. I could do a resume: too much for the afternoon snack and for dinner (including bread, am I crazy??). OK, as I said before, I think I am better following an specific diet and trying to deal with the inevitable hunger. I think my first diet plan is easy, though - what means that it could has no results.

I've studied 1.5 hours and played the piano the same amount of time. Bad, but better than yesterday, which is the important (this is what being a spartan means: everyday should be better than the day before, ALWAYS, and today has been better).

I meditated 3' before breakfast and I am going to do the same later, before going to sleep.

And something that I hate to say: I couldn't go to the gym because of my knee (it's 15 minutes from my house and I shouldn't walk). Tomorrow I'll try and I'll do the upper body routine. I hope at least I would be able to walk!

Well, I think this is all that I wanted to say today.

See you tomorrow.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

September 10th

My knee as always. No gym, walk a bit (but still hurts), no fun.

I have received a visit, the lunch has been 'special lunch' and I haven't follow my own rules, so... In addition, because of the visit, I don't play the piano and I couldn't study. I have been teaching a child, at least I haven't lost the whole day.

I've tracked my food, anyway:

BREAKFAST

250 ml skimmed milk + 30 g oat flakes

1/2 apple + 1/2 banana

4 eggs (white)

MORNING SNACK

1 yoghurt + 1/2 apple + 1/2 banana

cafe latte

LUNCH

1 dish of paella (rice + chicken + aubergine, more or less)

mixed snack (I mean, 4-5 chips, 4-5 shellfish)

2 glasses of zero Coke

dessert: cake + ice-cream

1 nectarine

EVENING SNACK

1 yoghurt

1/12 watermelon

cafe latte

DINNER

1 tuna salad (tuna, cheese, nuts, tomato, lettuce, corn, onions, olives and I think that nothing else)

1 slice of whole wheat bread

:o :o :o :o

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

I've read that goals must have a deadline and should be specific and measurable. I think I've just found what I need: a list of habits to follow in order to be able to keep following my 'diet plan' when everything is against me. In fact, there are some things that I think are better than my initial meal plan.

The goal and the deadline: I want to weight 140 lbs for the beginning of the next challenge. If I will, I could have as a goal being under 60 kg at the end of the sixth week (around 132 lbs).

So I've got the goal, the deadline, the motivation and the plan. I couldn't have any 'but' :)

The habits:

• Avoid milk (I don't assimilate it well).
  • Avoid soy and derivations of soy.
  • The same for modified starch of...
  • Oat flakes + barley coffee for breakfast.
  • Avoid meals which COULN'T go off. 
  • Avoid sugar (I do this one, but just to remember). Avoid also sugar added meals.
  • No junk food. If I have to eat out, meat/fish without anything else or salad.
  • Five pieces of fruit a day.
  • No pre-coocked meals.
  • Stir-fry instead of fry.
  • Everything whole.
  • Avoid bread after lunch time.
  • No salt.
  • Two liters of water a day.
  • No alcohol.
  • For snacks only yoghurt or fruit (not yoghurt AND fruit) + 30 g of nuts/seeds.
  • The exception of the rule: if I train at evening I can eat ONE slice of whole bread with turkey.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Just to remember I have to be consistent. I've starting the day as I expected. I'm trying to workout after lunch (only lifting weights, no cardio). I CAN ACHIEVE THIS.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Yeah, today I went to the gym. I can hardly walk, but at least I can do upper exercises.

Bench press ~ 4x5 | 26 kg

11 kg (barbell) + 15 kg

Barbell row ~ 4x5 | 27 kg

7 kg (barbell) + 20 kg

Dumbell military press ~ 3x10 | 8 kg/dumbell

Pull ups ~ 3x8-5-10 | two first sets -35 kg third set -40 kg

Push ups with knees on the floor ~ 3x12

Biceps curl ~ 2x12-10 | 5 kg

French press ~ 2x12 | 6 kg - 8 kg

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

BREAKFAST

barley coffee + 40 g oat flakes + cinnamon + 25 g of nuts

1 banana

MORNING SNACK

1 nectarine

cafe latte

LUNCH

1 salad (lettuce, onion, olives, 1/2 cucumber, corn, red pepper)

1 fish

1 apple

POST-WORKOUT SNACK

1 toast with olive oil

1/12 watermelon

1 cafe latte

4 eggs (white)

DINNER

1 dish of zucchini pureé + 1 slice of whole wheat bread

2 small chicken breasts

1 yoghurt

Water: 2 liters

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

I wen to the doctor this afternoon and she told me that I should do normal life because I "only" have a bruise on my shinbone; it is going to hurt me a couple of weeks more, though. The good new is that I don't have my knee injured. So, in order to celebrate, I've gone to the gym before lunch to workout my legs.

This is what I have done:

Sets       Barbell               SET#1      SET#2      SET#3Leg curl                   2x         Ø Kg         +        20 kg     20 kg       Ø kg  |  Weight                                                            10        10          Ø     | Reps.Leg extension              2x         Ø Kg         +        20 kg     20 kg       Ø kg  |  Weight                                                            10        10          Ø     | Reps.Hack squat                 3x         7 Kg         +        20 kg     25 kg    27.5 kg  |  Weight                                                             3         3          3     | Reps.Front squat                3x         7 Kg         +         5 kg    7.5 kg     7.5 kg  |  Weight                                                             8         6          8     | Reps.Deadlift                   3x         7 Kg         +        30 kg     30 kg      30 kg  |  Weight                                                             7         8          8     | Reps.

I am expecting the next challenge now that I know I will be able to do "whatever" I want to do.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

I'm working on my next challenge, so I'm going to paste here the most probably goals (I have to think how to punctuate them and everything else, but I want to have something to start with).

Here are my 3-5 current goals (in general, taken from my epic quest thread):

• Run to Mordor: 0.1% (3.7/3,664 miles)
  • Run 5K in less than 25′
  • Run a 10K
  • Deadlift my weight
  • Lose 15 lbs (150 lbs to 135 lbs) | 7 kg (67 kg to 61 kg) (28% achieved)
  • Finish the medium degree at the Professional Conservatoire of Music
  • 30 days without alcohol (16.6% achieved)

So, I am doing little changes in order to adapt them to the philosophy of the challenge (and my possibilities of success).

First goal / Fitness

Don't skip any workout (Mon/Tue/Fri/Sat) and go running Mon/Tue/Sat

What I want to do is prioritize which activities I do on the gym. My problem is that I do a lot of activities because I like them, but I know that which truly helps me to be stronger, faster and to become a true spartan (yeah) is lifting weights and go running. Spinning is also important because I like the activity, the class, and the friends I've made there. So:

Motivation: This goal would help me with 1st to 4th general goals even if I don't achieve any of them in the next 6 weeks.

Second goal / Health

Follow 10 healthy habits

Tip: I've bought a Moleskin to obligate myself tracking my meals (you have pay money, you must use it properly), and I want it beauty and clean.

Motivation: This goal would help me with 5th goal. In fact, if I do the things well, I will lose pretty more than 15 lbs.

The habits (in cursive what I already do. In red the true challenge. I think I could follow the others without any problem.

• No junk food. If I have to eat out, meat/fish without anything else or salad. This point is important, because my friends are used to make this kind of plans, so this will be the harder part of the challenge.
  • No binge.
  • Limit my milk consume up to 200 ml a day (two coffees).
  • Oat flakes + barley coffee + 1 piece of fruit for breakfast (I can add 10-20 g of nuts if it isn't my rest day).
  • Stir-fry instead of fry.
  • Everything whole.
  • Avoid bread after lunch time. (If I train at evening I can eat ONE slice of whole bread with turkey).
  • For snacks only yoghurt or fruit (not yoghurt AND fruit) + 1 slice of whole wheat bread (if I'm going to train) or 4 egg whites (if I'm not).
  • No sugar (I do this one, but just to remember). Avoid also sugar added meals.
  • 4-5 pieces of fruit a day.

Third goal / Career

Memorize 1-2 piano works

• Nocturne in c flat minor, Op. Postume (Fryderyk Chopin)
  • First movement of Sonata "Pathetique" (Ludwig V. Beethoven)

I will consider this goal succeeded if I learn to play the first one, but I've added a second one just in case I achieved this goal in the first half of the challenge.

Motivation: a girl asked me to play for her this Nocturne. Plus, I've always had problems at memorizing time (study is not a problem, play without a seeing the notes SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE to me, and I must play without them on the exams). Plus-plus: I want the second one into my repertory for the exams to the Superior Conservatoire. Could I say that it is a win-win goal? ^_^

Side quests

• Stretching after each workout
  • Finish my current 30-days challenge (20 days without alcohol) + start a new one (30 days of meditation for at least 20')
  • Read six books

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

BREAKFAST

barley coffee + 40 g oat flakes + cinnamon + 20 g of nuts

1/2 watermelon

PRE-WORKOUT SNACK

1 banana

1 slice of whole wheat bread + olive oil + 3 slices of turkey

1 coffee

LUNCH

1 dish of vegetable stew + 1 boiled egg

1 apple

1 coffee

POST-WORKOUT SNACK

1 nectarine

4 whites

1 barley coffee

DINNER

1 mackerel tile

1 salad (lettuce, corn, 1/2 tomato, red pepper) + some sticks of fried aubergine

1 yoghurt

Milk (Total): 400 ml of skimmed milk (with coffee and barley coffee).

Water: 2.1 liters

The only "forbidden" has been the aubergines, but... my mother did them and they are amazing, so I could not say "no".

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Time         Strength               KmIndoor walking                        45-50'       1 to 4.5               ??                            Sets    Barbell | SET#1    SET#2     SET#3    SET#4              Inclinated bench press     2x      11 Kg  +  10 kg    10 kg     --     --     |  Weight                                             10       10        --     --     | Reps.Military press             4x       7 Kg  + 7.5 kg   7.5 kg   7.5 kg   7.5 kg |  Weight                                              5        6        6        7    | Reps.Dumbell military press     3x       --    + 2x8 kg   2x8 kg   2x10 kg  --     |  Weight                                             10       10        10     --     | Reps.Dumbell openings           2x       --    + 2x6 kg   2x6 kg     --     --     |  Weight                                             10       10        --     --     | Reps.Birds                      2x       --    + 2x4 kg   2x4 kg     --     --     |  Weight                                              8        9        --     --     | Reps.

I am happy today. My workout was OK, and I feel great. Tonight I have to be in a wedding, so I will post my food log tomorrow (or maybe tonight if I come back early), but I do not have any intention of drinking or overeating. I hope I could eat "only" true food: first and second dish usually are, and I do not want to eat more than 5 sticks of cheese (Spanish old cheese is delicious) plus some Iberian ham or something like that. Maybe nuts. Water for drink.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

It is funny seeing how optimistic I could be when I have a social event. No drink, no unhealthy food. Ha. Ha. Ha.

It was not impossible, but social pressure is was stronger than me. On the welcoming cocktail I straight on my plan, but dinner was with alcohol, then more alcohol. I eat a bit more than what I should but alcohol was a bigger problem. I was not drunk, but I could drink 1/2 bottle of red wine and 5 scotchs with cola. Definitively too much alcohol. And I was sober in every moment, it is unbelievable.

Today is here my family (another social event) and I know that we are going to eat paella (rice + chicken + red/green pepper ... a typical Spanish dish) with snacks/chips on the table and coffee time with ice-cream or whatever similar. I am not going to put the things harder than they are. In two days starts the new challenge and now I am more focused I think I could achieve my goals. So, probably I eat the same as they (just to no overeat) and tomorrow will be a new day.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Good beginning of the day and of the challenge:

Sets    Barbell |  SET#1    SET#2     SET#3    SET#4              Bench press                4x      11 Kg  +  17.5 kg  17.5 kg   17.5 kg  17.5 kg | Weight                                             5 reps   5 reps    5 reps   5 reps  | Reps.Barbell row                4x       7 Kg  +  22.5 kg  22.5 kg   22.5 kg  22.5 kg | Weight                                             5 reps   5 reps    5 reps   5 reps  | Reps.Dumbell military press     3x       --    +  2x9 kg   2x9 kg    2x9 kg    --     | Weight                                             9 reps   9 reps    8 reps    --     | Reps.Pull ups                   3x       --    +  -40 kg   -40 kg    -40 kg    --     | Weight                                             10 reps  10 reps   8 reps    --     | Reps.Push ups (half)            2x       --    +   --       --       --        --     | Weight                                             12 reps  12 reps   --        --     | Reps.Biceps curl                2x       7 Kg  +  5 kg     5 kg      --        --     | Weight                                             12 reps  10 reps   --        --     | Reps.French press               2x       --    +  8 kg     10 kg     --        --     | Weight                                             12 reps  12 reps   --        --     | Reps.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

I am having problems dealing with the coffee deprivation. I am running without energy so I tend to eat more food, I feel angrier so I tend to eat emotionally.

The good new is that I am tracking the amounts of food very strictly, except for about 10 grams of nuts and an apple, that I don nit know if I wrote this morning, and bread. I do not know how much I have logged (I am not at home) but it has been 3 slices overall. No more bread the rest of the day, please.

After lunch I am going to have eaten around 1300 kcal, which lets me have a snack (watermelon) and a dinner based in veggies and meat or fish. Maybe even if the day has started a bit chaotic it could be ending under 1700 kcal.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

BREAKFAST

20 g oats + nuts + barley coffee

1 banana

MORNING SNACK

3 slices of whole wheat bread + olive oil + 3 slices of turkey ham

25 grapes

4 halzenuts + 1 yoghurt

LUNCH

1 apple

salad: beetroots, lettuce, tuna, nuts, tomato

AFTERNOON SNACK

watermelon + nuts

DINNER

1 dish of vegetables stir-fried

1 chicken breast

15-25 grapes

1500 Kcal says Cron·O·Meter. I feel as I have eaten more, so it is possible I am mistaken or that I have missed something (portions, maybe).

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

1807 Kcal today, more or less. I think I should eat less, but I do not know where can I cut WITHOUT feeling hungry. I will experiment the next days.

BREAKFAST

50 g of whole wheat bread + olive oil + 1/2 tomato + 2 slices of turkey

1 banana + 15 g of nuts

MORNING SNACK

1 apple + 1 wedge of melon with Iberian ham

1 yoghurt

LUNCH

1 dish of spelt pasta + mushrooms

25 grapes

1 can of mussels (80 g)

AFTERNOON SNACK

1 banana + grapes

1 slice of bread + olive oil + 1/2 tomato

nuts

DINNER

1 white fish + peas

1 endive + 1 beetroot

1 yoghurt

Tomorrow I will post my weights and workout. I am so tired and I am going to sleep (I will read the forum from my bed). Tired, very tired.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Alright, yesterday:

Sets    Barbell |  SET#1    SET#2     SET#3    SET#4              Hack squats                3x       7 Kg  +  27.5 kg  27.5 kg   27.5 kg   --     | Weight                                             3 reps   3 reps    3 reps    --     | Reps.Front squats               3x       7 Kg  +   7.5 kg   7.5 kg    7.5 kg   --     | Weight                                             3 reps   3 reps    3 reps    --     | Reps.Deadlift                   3x       7 Kg  +    30 kg    30 kg     30 kg   --     | Weight                                             8 reps   8 reps    8 reps    --     | Reps.Leg curl                   2x       --    +  22.5 kg    25 kg   --        --     | Weight                                             10 reps  10 reps   --        --     | Reps.Leg extension              2x       --    +  22.5 kg    25 kg   --        --     | Weight                                             10 reps  10 reps   --        --     | Reps.Bodycombat                         Km       time      min/km      KcalRunning                 4.13     30'09''     7:17        294

Today:

Sets    Barbell |  SET#1    SET#2     SET#3    SET#4              Military press             4x       7 Kg  +   7.5 kg    10 kg     10 kg    10 kg | Weight                                             5 reps   5 reps    5 reps   5 reps  | Reps.Incl. bench press          2x      11 Kg  +   10 kg  12.5 kg      --      --     | Weight                                            12 reps   7 reps      --      --     | Reps.Dumbbell incl. bench p.    3x       --    + 2x10 kg  2x10 kg    2x10 kg   --     | Weight                                            10 reps  10 reps   10 reps    --     | Reps.Apertures                  2x       --    +  2x6 kg   2x7 kg      --      --     | Weight                                             10 reps  10 reps     --      --     | Reps.Birds                      2x       --    +  2x8 kg  2x10 kg      --      --     | Weight                                             10 reps   8 reps     --      --     | Reps.                     Time         Distance        KcalSpinning              ?51'         18.5 km        ?316 

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI