• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

End of Challenge! Rebels, Report!

Wow, you went cold turkey from stress eating and caffeine? Sudden changes like that are likely to mess up bodily routines. I know I just have the problem with will power there, but losing the snacking would be hard that suddenly from both the hunger and habit aspects. As for the withdrawal migraines, weaning off using smaller portions or other sources (tea) might help, I think the same thing that caffeine does for headaches is provided by ibuprofen so that might help those without any caffeine intake. 

Are there any non-leg exercises that you tried?

Yeah definitely bit off more than I could chew trying to go cold turkey, with no plan. Going to make it the focus of my next challenge, to cut back and then eliminate it. Thanks for the advice about ibuprofen, will definitely look into that! It wasn't really the hunger side that did me in, was more the habit and withdrawals.

Didn't really try any other exercises as I generally do a lot of compound movements, so evem the upper body stuff (like military press and bent rows) all rransfer power through my ankles. And if they are out of alignment to the point of causing an injury, I didn't want to risk putting a load through an already injured area, so I held off. Once I was sure the intital inflamatipn was gone, and I had the rehab under ckntrol, went back to it and so far so good (although I have missed a workout yesterday, but thats not related to the injury)

Sent from the FBI van 3 blocks down the road.

Main Quest:
Lose 15 lbs!

Goals:
Do the beginner body weight workout 3 times a week!
Walk 4 times a week! 
No more soda!!

Life Quest:
To clear out my crafting hoard!! By making things!

How did I do:
Lost 4 lbs! Not the 15 I wanted to lose, but I'll take it and run with it.
D!

Goals:

Did beginner body weight workout 3 times a week! A
walked 4 times a week!!   A
and didn't have a soda once!   A
life goal: made 42 things! A

I should have watched more of what I ate in addition to no soda, but at least I know soda is not the sole problem.
I wanted to read everyone else
's posts but instead I hid out in my own post :(   bluh!

Putting my goals online gave me a lot of accountability, but I still don't like tracking! >:0 
but this was fun and I am glad I did this at least once!

Grade: D+

I was very motivated at the beginning of this challenge.  Unfortunately, I started my first rheumatoid arthritis flare in almost a year at about the same time.  So, I was moving along great, lost 5+lb and wham, I was unable to do any more exercise, wanted to sleep all the time, flubbed on my food because pain makes me weak, etc.  So, the past month has been me tiptoeing around this flare, waiting for it to pass - which it now has.  I will start the next challenge, with the same goals as last time because I didn't hit them.  "Let's-a-go!"

Yeah definitely bit off more than I could chew trying to go cold turkey, with no plan. Going to make it the focus of my next challenge, to cut back and then eliminate it. Thanks for the advice about ibuprofen, will definitely look into that! It wasn't really the hunger side that did me in, was more the habit and withdrawals. Didn't really try any other exercises as I generally do a lot of compound movements, so evem the upper body stuff (like military press and bent rows) all rransfer power through my ankles. And if they are out of alignment to the point of causing an injury, I didn't want to risk putting a load through an already injured area, so I held off. Once I was sure the intital inflamatipn was gone, and I had the rehab under ckntrol, went back to it and so far so good (although I have missed a workout yesterday, but thats not related to the injury) Sent from the FBI van 3 blocks down the road.

As for the less compound exercises, I was specifically thinking of bench press solely because it would help one get the arm strength for push-ups; pull-up are fairly compound and if you have an easy way to start and stop then that should have been fine too, right? I am glad to read you are feeling better and at it again! Are you jumping right in with the next challenge?

Grade: D

I would have given myself an E if I hadn't completed my life goal. I'm uprooting my whole life and moving halfway around the world in three days. Between the goodbye parties and the stress eating, I think I actually got less healthy during this challenge. I say this not to offer excuses, but to acknowledge that I need to be more realistic in my goals to avoid stressing myself out.

As for the less compound exercises, I was specifically thinking of bench press solely because it would help one get the arm strength for push-ups; pull-up are fairly compound and if you have an easy way to start and stop then that should have been fine too, right? I am glad to read you are feeling better and at it again! Are you jumping right in with the next challenge?

Yeah i'll be in the next challenge - I want to get a better run at it this time!

final quest summary

incline bench each week: done

squat each week: done

eat paleo: finished the challenge strong.  only had a couple issues going out to eat early in the quest (mentioned in previous posts)!

on to the next challenge!  i am currently following a lifting/meditation/yoga challenge for the 2.5 weeks i'm in india.  once i get back i will start a new challenge that will include work goals as well.  i just had a review and there are some things i need to focus on!

My three goals

1) week 1&2 one circuit 3 days aweek, 3&4- 2, 5&6 -3 (A)

2) walk 4 days a week, running is out till my knees strengthens up again ( tore ligament in tge left and since I got pregnant and heavy the right is clicking all the fluffing time ) ©

3) steadily increase my paleo food, inspire the husband and cook new recipes to keep me on the straight and narrow (A)

Life side quest:

Smile more! Stop stressing the little things and enjoy life darn it! ! this is the end of my first challenge! Woop woop! I made it!

I've done my weigh in this morning and I've lost 11lbs since this challenge stayed amd im now at 233lbs!! Woop woop! RAWWWWWWR!

IM giving myself an B+ I accomplished my goals but ive had some blipy moments along the way with my walks, having a baby and helping on the farm I just didn't have the energy but I did walk at least 2 a week as well as helping in a manual job like running after cattle when they get out lol.

This challenge has taught me alot about myself, and I'm so Flipping proud of myself is unreal! So so proud! And my husband told me yesterday he was proud of me as well, which just made me cry lol, the best bit is I've thoroughly enjoyed myself and im already thinking about my goals for the next challenge

In total some babybear was born in March I've lost 21 lbs and 11 of that has been in the 6 week challenge and ive also noticed how much better I feel in myself since eating a paleo diet as well as exercising

Im in a total happy buzz now because my confidence has just skyrocketed!

Bring on the next challenge I say!

Summary

1.Go to the Gym 3x a week and lift heavy things for 45 mins.

In total I went to the gym 10 times, scoring a solid C

Better timetabling and organising my time next challenge!

2. No 'Bad, Sugary, Alcoholic' Liquids  

1 drink in total!! A

Maintaining this! 

3.Do some form of Cardio at least 2x a week

10 cardio = A 

definitely can feel the results from this one!!  must maintain!

Life goal: I will save an additional $600 to build my emergency funds.  

I saved $350 in total,  It was a bit ambitious to try and find an extra $100 a week!  C

Nxt challenge come at me! 

My overall goal was simply getting started on the path of actually doing something & building some positive habits. My goals were:

1. Run 3x per week (following a couch to 5k program).
2. NF beginner bodyweight workout 3x per week.
3. Pilates routine 2x per week.
Life goal: Be up before 7am 5x per week.

Challenge summary (Copypasta from my main thread):

Running: B

It seemed like such a simple task: just follow the app. In my case, no (I'm up to my last run of week 5 when I "should" have finished the 8 week program). Some of this delay was due to injury, but some was just because I did not get my arse out the door some days when I should have (hence the B ). I do feel like I'm steadily improving, though the jury is still out on whether or not running is my thing. I feel like a million bucks after the fact, but I'm finding myself getting borrrrred as the running segments get longer.

Beginner bodyweight workout: A
I only missed one workout in 6 weeks (yup, that still leaves room for improvement), and am progressing steadily (back up to 20 squats & lunges after the knee situation, and working on knee pushups again), so I'm gettin' an A here.

Pilates: A
No worries. This is enough of a habit now that I'm just going to add it on to the end of bodyweight workouts from now on.

Up before 7am 5x per week: C
Aw hell no. This only just scraped a C grade! Having two weeks break in my work schedule didn't help my feeble willpower here. Maybe I leapt into too large a change here first off, I might try sneaking up on my brain by cutting back my dumbarse sleeping habits more gradually.

Overall, I feel some physical changes already (*prods thigh, registers as "less squishy"*), but the best part of the challenge for me was that I now have a MUCH clearer picture of where I'm at. This has helped me to feel less overwhelmed and anxious. I also have much less tendency towards fitness-related underpants collecting - I still have this issue with other areas of my life, but there is a small part of my mind saying "ARRRRGHH just DO something instead of endlessly researching it" which is gradually getting stronger.

So, a B overall. Now to keep the wheels on the wagon!

OK, I did pretty good.  I'm making progress on my main goal, which is to get crazy, superhero strong.

Goal 1.  I've set new lifetime bests on some smaller body parts, like tri's, shoulders and quads.  I made progress on every body part, but have not yer equalled my lifetime best on any of the compund movements like squats, deads, or bench press, so I'll keep this goal for the next challenge.

Goal 2:  Did pretty good.

Goal 3:  Meh.  Pretty inconsistent on the yoga part.  I may cut out the yoga goal and just work on incorporating more stretching into regular workouts.  Yoga's not my thing, so why force it?

Looking forward to joinging the Warriors for the next challenge starting the 16th.

Aimee

Final grades!!!

Main Quest: I want to have the weight, the body, the health and the confidence that I once have

Goal 01: Eat vegetables soup with occasional egg at dinner at least 4 times a week - C

I struggle to make the soup, and to eat dinner. I realize that most of the days I wasn't hungry, and I didn't eat nothing or just I fruit.

So I will need to re-think my dinners, and my role alimentation, because I Know that  now this is what is holding my weight loss.

Goal 02: Drink beer just once a week. - B

I can consider this a A, because I set this goal to not over drink and to not eat the junk food that I usually eat with beers, and in the week that I drink beer 2 times I just drank a glass of a gourmet beer with my dad. But by the rules I score a B!

Goal 03: Go to gym at least once a week - A+

I'm going to the gym 3 times a week! Every monday I do CrossFit, and every wednesday and friday I do Pilates! I'm loving this! I feel so good this days, I don't feel much back or knees pains anymore!

Life Goal: D

I didní fallow the plan, I didn't finish the chapter of my dissertation, even finish the introduction. I talk with my advisor, and we change the original plans, because I'm  run out of time... But I'm confident with the new plan...

Overal grade (if I didn't take the life goal into account): B

I'm happy with the results!!

I learn a lot from the goal 01 about my craves and my body needs, and I´m making a better plan for the next challenge!

I didn´t have much time to participate in the forums, but I hope to do better in the next challenge!! This is a wonderful suport team!

I'm happy with the results!!
I learn a lot from the goal 01 about my craves and my body needs, and I´m making a better plan for the next challenge!
I didn´t have much time to participate in the forums, but I hope to do better in the next challenge!! This is a wonderful suport team!

Whoo Hoo Clarys! Awesome for seeing this to the end!

OK, so I finished the challenge.

The results weren´t optimal

Main quest: loose belly fat

Results:it stayed the same

Big wins: of the four main goals or big wins, i managed to accomplish one: 3 weight workouts per week. And i also increased my veggie intake from 1 serving daily.

It wasnt the best result possible, but I learned a lot...and I completed it! That is a start

THE GOOD

I increased my daily veggie intake.

I returned to my 3 times a week weight routine

I feel stronger, and with more muscle in arms and chest and back (but I didn´t measure that...)

I kept the above log to track measure of the goals

THE BAD

My weight is the same (probably with a little less fat, but I didn´t measure that...)

My stomach is the same (in measure at least)

I couldnt follow my cardio goal

I couldnt lower significantly my grain intake.

I practically left the conversation after week 3.

LESSONS LEARNED

Focus on big wins, instead of goals

Goals are important to keep you motivated, but it´s probable that your actions dont necesarily help your assigned goals, and thats OK

Choose better measures to track

Never desist.

Keep it going

Next challenge will be better

Thanks to the people that encouraged. I´ll participate more in the next challenge.

Well I kind of disappeared from here since the beginning of the month. Definitely not good for my challenge, but life caught up to me and required all of my time. I was out of town for about a week and a half and lost track of my challenge. 

Had i actually been in the Challenge the whole time, my scores would be as follows:

Goal 1 Overall Score: C-

Goal 2 Overall Score: C+

Goal 3 Overall Score: C+

I'm going to go on the assumption that I dropped out of the challenge once life caught up to me. I completed enough to go up one level, but I will be starting off fresh again with the Rebels starting on Monday the 16th, the start of the new challenge! I think life has finally settled down and I'll be able to keep it up this time. Very disappointed in my outcome, but I will succeed next time!

What a great first challenge.  The NF community really helped motivate me to keep me on track.  The only reason I didn't get full 100% was due to a mountain biking injury.  BUT I got back on the bike and made a point to figure out what parts were giving me trouble.

Basic Training

completed 15/18 - 83% B

Walking

completed 11/12 - 92% A-

Adventures

Completed 6/6  100% A

Overall Grade A- 

I hadn't been posting my basic training stats along the way, so I'll do starting and ending now.

Workout A                 Start         End

Pushups                     12/8/6       12/10/8

Body Weight Squats   50/45/40   50/50/50

Plank                          60s/55s     90s/90s

Squat Thrust              20              20

Workout B                Start           End

Body Rows                 6/6/5          10/9/8

Body Weight Lunges  20/18/16    35/32/30

Planks                        60s/60s      90s/92s

Shuttle Runs              11               12

Planks improved a lot as well as body rows.  I'm pretty pleased with that.  I probably would have gotten the numbers up a bit higher if I hadn't needed to take the week off in recovery.

For walking I had set a minimum of 30 min, but usually I did closer to 45-60 min.  It was getting started that was my obstacle, but with accountability to my challenge, it was much easier to find motivation.

I had all kinds of adventures and challenged myself to do a lot of different things.. mountain biking, climbing indoor & outdoor, kayaking, hiking, biking to work while in training on the other side of the airport (might not sound like much, but the traffic is crazy).  It was a blast and I'll give a thank you to my bf who went along for the ride willingly.  I've even convinced several friends to get into climbing, so we'll have a decent crew for outings :)

I feel I've made good progress in strength training, but I still have a long way to go.  I think climbing will help that along nicely.

Now I'm deciding on my goals for the next challenge as an Adventurer!

This is ripped directly from my challenge post/thread: "my main goal for this challenge is being at the same level of yogic centered-ness as I was in college.

Therefore, my 3 smaller goals are as follows: 

1. Successfully do a shoulder stand (I was able to at school, but - alas - no longer).

2. Do 2 Sun Salutations every morning (or maybe just at least 4 days a week) when I wake up (one for each side of the body) (or just anytime throughout the day).  

3. Advance from the Beginner yoga videos to at least the Intermediate yoga videos." 

I'd say that I rate myself at a C+ for my main goal. There were days I blew it off, which I couldn't do when it was a required class, so I don't think I'm as disciplined or centered as I was in college. I also feel like my depression has been kicking in pretty hard lately, which has kind of made it hard to even get up off the couch/out of bed, much less DO anything. So, yeah, C+. 

Mini-goal 1: A! I totally did this! And, it was awesome. ^.^ 

Mini-goal 2: Um, yeah, D. I didn't do these every morning. I would maybe do them 2 or 3 times a week? Which, I actually think I changed it later on to be less, but still. 

Mini-goal 3: I'd say B. I can do some intermediate poses, but some things I'm still a beginner at, just because different parts of my body have different levels of flexibility or strength or balance. So, yeah, overall I think a B is accurate, because I did *try.* 

My first challenge - for me, I'd say a B grade overall as I could definitely have tried harder, but given that previously I'd have failed almost immediately, I'm very happy with that.

In summary:

1. Burn 3 kg fat. Grade B. I went from 72.3 kg to 70.5, which wasn't as much as I'd wanted, but I also went from having a pretty obvious muffin top to only really getting that when I sit down.

I ate Paleo quite a lot of the time, and felt good on it, and I managed 34 out of 36 cardio workouts.

2. Manage 1 real pushup. Grade C, as I still can't do a real pushup but I can do 2 minutes or thereabouts of planking.

3. Get more sleep. Grade B+. 34 days out of 36 I was in bed for at least 8 hours. 

Life goal - Website. Fail (but it's come on pretty well since the challenge ended.)

And my overall conclusions about the challenge in detail:

The real gain in this challenge has been doing it and seeing it through regardless of how crap I felt I was doing and that it became obvious early on that my core workouts just weren't happening. I wobbled in places, but I kept on with it, and largely that's all been down to the support of the community here, and looking around at other people's threads and seeing how they were facing up to their own challenges.

The whole NF/Paleo movement feels to me like something out of a Kim Stanley Robinson book. We're all ferals, living inside society but with different goals and different ways of achieving them. I find having fun and being a better human to be really uplifting and energising aims, and I'm very happy to be here with you all taking part in this rebellion.

Can't wait for the next challenge!

End result - OK despite the fairly major hamstring tear. I'm finally cleared to cycle for 15 min and do moderate weight leg presses... No squats, no running, and certainly no Tae Kwon Do.

Maybe a B?

Main Quest

To get back to the physical form I was in 10 years or so ago, in my early 20s.

Specific Goals

1 - Back into the 70s (80 kg target)

Have had readings in the 79.X range. It still bounces around of course from day to day, but I call that success!

A

2 - Back to Blue Belt

Graded 2 levels, out of the target 4. I still think I could have got there as I know the forms fairly well, but can't train yet given the hamstring tear.

B-

3 - Back to benching my bodyweight

I think I'm only closer to my target because my weight has dropped ;-)

C-

Life Side Quest

Have a budget.

Done - even tracking against it this month. 

A

Motivation: I want to model the life I want my children to lead and make my wife feel like the sexy awesome beast she is.

Main Mission: Have a happy family.

• Complete 6 weeks of Zombies, Run 5 k in order to increase my energy to keep up with my own little monsters.

• Dedicate at least 20 minutes daily to both my monsters and my monsters’ mama of quality time, NO DISTRACTIONS! (from me)

• Schedule/arrange/make happen at least 3 family outings. Photos will be taken at events to prove these occurred, and could be good memories to have...

Life Quest

• Do 45 minutes of German lessons 5/7 days a week.

Here is the spreadsheet to keep track of everything.  Chase the Rainbow! (Not up to date and got lazy about it.... meh I know what i did, well and so does Klaymates.)

93-100% = A

85-93% = B

78-85% = C

66-78% = D

<66% = I (challenge incomplete)

END OF CHALLENGE RESULTS:

Complete 6 weeks of Zombies, Run 5k:  I completed 5/6 weeks. (83% C)

Dedicate 20 minutes daily to little monsters and the monsters' mama:  Ok, so over a 6 week time span that's 42 days.  I completed 42/42. (100% A)

3 Family outings:  I completed 3/3.  For my own records they were 2 picnics in the backyard and one at a village park.  Fun times with table tennis and delicious chicken curry salad.  NOM NOM NOM. (100% A)

Do German lessons 5/7 days a week:   I completed less than 50% of this goal.... I

OVERALL SCORE:  70.75% (D) Well I can say I completed my first challenge.  DIdn't do as well as I would have liked too, laziness being the main culprit.  I'm happy though I finally finished one of these.  Woot on to the next one and doing better!  I so I guess that means I can be a Level 2 something.....  lol I'll be a Level 2 blank. (Something to be decided later for now)

The main reason for my challenge was "To be fit, happy and healthy for my family,".  For me that was fat loss, and getting my self organised.  

To be truthful, I would give myself a D.  

Fat loss, was also to include btter health, which with Whole 30/42 would help with my rosacea.  What I found was that the less water I drank, then the worse my face was.  I aslo went off clean eating after day 32, and my face reasted to that too. 

Eating habits:

•   Whole 42 – Managed 32 - C

•   Drink a bucketful of water every day.   Done - A

• Target - burn off 3Kg of fat. – difficult to tell this week, but not too bothered really

Exercise was apauling.  I am really disapointed with myself. The next challenge will have to focus strongly on this 

Exercise habits:

Go to the gym 3 times a week (if not at the gym then 40 minutes either Shauna Kaminski or Craig Ballantyne routines)  BIG FAT FAIL!!

Walking was no problem, exceeded 8000 every day – A+ (Will up this to 10000 for next chalenge to make it a challenge!)

I will establish PBs for Push ups and deadlifts â€“ BIG FAT FAIL

Life Quest

I really good at starting things, and terrible at finishing them.  This will also be a focus for next weeks challenge.

So results for this last challenge:

1.            Curtains in Bedroom 1 DONE

2.            Curtains in Bedroom 2

3.            Sort out our bedroom (clothes to be either boxed up or chucked) DONE

4.            Sort out all my sewing stuff (cross stitch and patchwork)

5.            Sort through bookshelves

6.            Gather and sort out all our important papers (house, work permits, passports etc) DONE

Overall for Life quest – D

Weight 81.6Kg (179.5lbs)  about 79Kg (wrong week to weigh myself!)

waist - 95cm                93cm

Hips - 103cm               99cm

Chest - 101.5cm         100cm

Upper Arm - 32.5cm    31.5cm

Thigh - 60cm               58.5cm

Calf - 43cm                  43cm

Neck - 36cm               35cm

So lost on all measurements which I am really happy with!! 

There are also some side gains that I was not expecting - I appear to be less stressed and so have stopped biting my nails (actually had to cut them).  Hair is growing again (will have to get my fringe trimmed) and am sleeping like a baby.

Next challenge will be Whole 30 again, with added exercise.  I will start small, and get some basic moves in at home, and see if I can get back to the gym again.  I know I have a few weeks away in Rotterdam at the end of the month, so a bit of  challenge foodwise, but will do my best. 

My quest: To become Peter Parkour

Goal 1: Do a pull up. Modified at week 3 to Do a real push up. Still could not do a real push up by end of challenge, but persisted in working on inclined push ups for three out of the six weeks. 50% = C

Goal 2: Eat a minimum of processed carbs three days/week. Did not succeed in doing this even one week. 0% = F.

Goal 3: Take measurements at beginning and end of challenge, show improvement. Lost 4 pounds, 1" in bust and 1" in waist. 100% = A

Goal 4: Clean off desk once a week. Did 3/6 weeks. 50% = C

Conclusion: Passed challenge with a C average earning two extra points for a total of 12 points.

New stats: Level 2 Gnome, STR-1.25, DEX-2, STA-1.25, CON-2, WIS-3.5, CHA-2

Felt pretty good after my first 6 week challenge. I met everything except my side quest goal.

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/35052-adventure-time-with-lolsroyce-and-pull-ups/?p=693297

My goal was to do a pull up. At the end of week six, I got myself all the way up kicking and grunting the whole way. I tried again a couple days later and got all the way up in control.

I wanted to eat out less during lunch. I was able to stay at an average of 1 lunch out a week which met my A requirement. My usual lunch friends were very supportive and it encouraged them to bring lunches too!

I wanted to do HIITs because at this point I was still trying to lose weight plus I figured the less I have to lift the easier the pull-up will be! At the end of the 6 week challenge, I am down to 167 lbs. I don't remember where I was at exactly when I started the 6 week challenge (guessing 180).

My side quest was to play guitar regularly. I started out ok, but by the end of the challenge, I wasn't even picking up the guitar. I knew I should have gone with the learn to dance side quest. Maybe for the next challenge!