• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kishi

Last Confessions (Final Results/Summary Thread)

Well! It's been an interesting six weeks, and we are finally, finally done!

I have a feeling we're all kind of stoked for the next challenge. We did a lot, we learned a lot, and as a result we want to take that knowledge and apply it immediately toward getting ourselves better results.

But we can't do that without acknowledging what's come before. So! Here's a thread to post up our results and just talk about what we learned about ourselves. Communication and helping each other with our goals is encouraged.

Which reminds me, I need to get my own results posted up too. Will have it done shortly...

Completely fresh re-cap, not copy-and-pasted AT ALL. Honest.

RECAP:

Loin Girding - Lift 3x Per Week With 10% Gains

Success! I did lift 3x per week, without fail. Gains were minimal with bench press and OHP (only FINALLY seeing progress at the end), and gains elsewhere were between 25% and 35%. Woo!

Register These Hands As Weapons - Kaiten MMA

It started late, officially last Wednesday, so we've only gone to one class, BUT we are now signed up and committed.  This challenge had very little impact on the whole six weeks, so I'm not sure how well to count it.  Oh well.

Trek To The Enemy Stronghold - Running

I ran my ass off, improved my pace, strengthened my legs, and did a proper up-and-down 5K at the very end of the challenge.  I consider this one handled.

An Army Marches On Its Stomach - Food

I have been very good about protein and unnecessary sugar, but I didn't put as much effort into portion control as I should have.  Still, considering my pants still got looser, and I got way stronger? I think gaining two pounds over the course of the challenge is probably an acceptable quantity of muscle. The important part (protein, sugar, vegetables) was done right!

The Master Becomes The Student - Training With Dark Junior

He loves strength training, and he loves MMA, and he loves doing both of these things with me.  We've a long way to go, but the spark is back in his eyes for something that isn't a video game.  Boom! Done.

Thoughts for the next challenge... I think we need a stricter schedule for weekly challenges.  After the sprawling thing, they petered out (and I didn't even finish that one, I was generally too trashed from my other workouts to do more than ten sprawls at a time, and I never remembered often enough to make a dent in the required number).  I am going to focus more on my diet, because I really need to trim the flab.  Lots of great muscle and fitness gains, but the belly is still very much my most hated enemy, and I would love, LOVE, LOVE to be rid of it once and for all. 

Also, sorry for not hanging out in everyone else's threads.  My participation in everyone else's challenges was way down this challenge.  I plan to post at least once per day in someone else's challenge. 

Definitely keeping the daily updates in my own challenge, though.  Even if I take five days off and come back and post all five days at once, it REALLY helps me keep all of my challenges at the forefront of my mind. 

Nah, you're right. I dropped the ball on the mini-challenges. I let myself get seriously sidetracked in terms of keeping up with my own challenge. I'd hoped, in the last week, to set up a cooking challenge of some kind, like everyone had wanted to do. But I let it slip away, and it's my bad.

I have a feeling that we'll be doing more about that kind of thing next challenge. Diet is a huge part of the battle, after all.

Anyway, how'd I do?

Well, a more complete write-up is available in my topic. Basically, I worked hard throughout most of the challenge, and then encountered some slips toward the end. I got my conditioning up, and I stuck to my schedule for the most part, and even my writing's benefited in that I'm doing more of it.

At the same time, though, I don't feel the best about it. I feel like I had more I could have done if things had just gone smooth. I learned that cheat days don't work that great unless you've got a regular plan to deal with the consequences. I learned that I'm not that bad a programmer, but no program can outwork the food you eat.

As always, one step closer, but never really there. :/

Nah, you're right. I dropped the ball on the mini-challenges. I let myself get seriously sidetracked in terms of keeping up with my own challenge. I'd hoped, in the last week, to set up a cooking challenge of some kind, like everyone had wanted to do. But I let it slip away, and it's my bad.

I have a feeling that we'll be doing more about that kind of thing next challenge. Diet is a huge part of the battle, after all.

I'm happy to help with a diet mini if you'd like?  I'm always willing to lend a hand where necessary :)

And i promise not to make them do it in heels ;)

my report back (i've even loaded some pics this time round) - it's long so here's a link and a summary:

Challenge Wrap Up

This has been one hell of a challenge.  Part way in I had a "mini meltdown" and needed to re-evaluate my quests in order to actually meet some of my goals.  It's been a bit up and down, but at the end of the day i made it to the end without too much hassle.  I have even started Whole30 and am quite enjoying it (i really like to cook, so it's awesome).

I think i'm starting to learn a little more self-discipline but I need more.  I'm learning!!

1. Beat the Laziness Demon, by putting boxing gloves on the Discipline Angel.

Quest Complete: Sign up for classes with a trainer, get the necessary equipment and attend a minimum of 7 sessions

Achieved: Signed up for boxing class = attended 2 classes

Rating: F

Reward: No reward, although i did get my hair done

2. Nurture the Discipline Angel back to health by +50gr daily protein intake and -30gr daily carb intake by 9 Sept.

Quest Complete: Reached weekly goal for at least 4 full different meals.

Achieved: Week 1 = B, Week 2 = A, Week 3 = B, Week 4 = C, Week 5 = C, Week 6 = A

Rating: B

Reward: No Reward

3. Weaken the Laziness Demon by reaching and maintaining a 90-100% snack free day.

Quest Complete: 90 - 100% snack free daily.

Achieved: 93.81% snack free

Rating: A+

Reward: A Pair of Designer Heels

here are said shoes :)

BWEqeip.jpg

Life Quest: Get the Discipline Angel ready to fight by following a set routine

Quest Complete: 85 - 100% routines completed daily.

Achieved: 74%

Rating: C

Reward: Nothing

Final Measurements:

Weight: 126.40kg (-1.1)

Neck: 38cm (-1)

Bicep: 36cm (+1)

Breast: 130cm (-1)

Underbust: 103cm (-1)

Waist: 114cm (+4)

Hip: 144cm (+3)

Thigh: 73.5cm (+0.5)

Pics (green top = before, orange top = after):

B5WEVjcl.jpgjsT619xl.jpg

pASPUjkl.jpgIauJ3pgl.jpg

Not sure how much difference there is, but there's a difference (i'm sure of it).

SCARY SHOES. Also congrats! :D I'm still working on snack-free days.  Dietary stuff and MMA will be my main focus next time, so I can kick your butt into doing more boxing.  BECAUSE BEING HIT IN THE FACE* IS AWESOME.

* at the appropriate time

SCARY SHOES. Also congrats! :D I'm still working on snack-free days.  Dietary stuff and MMA will be my main focus next time, so I can kick your butt into doing more boxing.  BECAUSE BEING HIT IN THE FACE* IS AWESOME.

* at the appropriate time

WHEN IS IT NOT THE APPROPRIATE TIME. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW. Maybe I could block better then.

Also, AB, if you're wanting to stick around for next challenge, I could really use some tips on setting up a cooking challenge. I wouldn't want you to necessarily run this, as you've got your own guild to look after. But any pointers you might have would be awesome.

Hahaha, Thrilho only if you don't mind being smacked back ;)

Kishi, we have 6 guild leaders who tackle a mini each. so ive definitely got time to assist you on anything that you need help with. Just shout and I'd be glad to help :)

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well Well some results of this 1st challenge:

1.  Eat 100% Paleo ? yeah !!!!!!!! Almost did it ! ...B

99% success, loss of weight is good more than 13kg !!!

I day off only ! So very happy of that !

2.Train my body? Trained hard but loved it !! .... B Again !

Strength: Calisthenics (pushups, situps, squats, pullups)in a daily base; Weight training 3 times a week.

Cardio: in a daily base (45 min) can be rope skipping, running..

98% success, and  11 times extra trainings ( archery, swords...).

Managed to go back to qualitative training thank's to Natarella motivation help !

Just the last day a:  muscle tear...but well doesn't matter, i recover usually quite fast !

3.Train my technique: yep yep !!! ... B

Daily routine in the dojo or at home: sand bag / skipping rope /techniques / meditation: for 2 hours a day minimum (all together not only meditation Zuel :tongue: ).

More than 98% trainings done (i travelled so couldn't train for 2 days.)

Now it just leaves me with one question, what martial art should i keep this year...

Very happy of the results!!!

Ready for the next challenge and thank's guys for the support !!! (I really appreciated it !)

:)

Kishi, we have 6 guild leaders who tackle a mini each. so ive definitely got time to assist you on anything that you need help with. Just shout and I'd be glad to help :)

::shouts at computer screen for a minute::

That might not have been what you meant.

Also, yeah. Those pics. There are some differences there. I get that same feeling - can't tell you where they are, but they're in there, and I feel like if I just look at it a certain way I'll be able to see them.

Soooooo.... Mine is mostly copy and paste. Sorry.

Like Thrillho, I have to apologize for not going too much into other threads. You guys are all so awesome I want to read all the things. But then I'd get no sleep. (I don't know how you do it Kishi)

OVERALL:

SCOTT PILGRIM CHALLENGE WAS AWESOMELY FUN!!!

I'm pretty damn proud of how this challenge went. I had a ton of fun defeating my ex-habits. Now, realistically I know it take WAY more than a week to make or break any habit. I designed this challenge to give me a bit of a push to get back to my old lifestyle.

I would have to say I succeeded for the most part. :) 

Week 1: I defeated Matthew Patel by doing A LOT of workouts outside. I still have the weird tan lines to show for it.

Week 2: I defeated Lucas Lee by rollerblading all over Houston. 20 miles was my goal and I easily surpassed it.

Week 3: This was a fun experiment for me. I exercised my self control and did my quasi-cleanse. Learned a lot. Todd Ingram was toast.

Week 4: Roxie (that bitch) got the best of me. I did most of my knee rehab, but a couple of days I slacked off. I failed myself on this one because I'm hard on myself and it just wasn't acceptable. She should have been an easy one.

Week 5: I was proud of this one too because I got my crap together after disappointing myself. I did more than my goal of 8 workouts per week even though I had to work a lot. I even made up for what I supposed to do for knee rehab against Roxie. The Katayanagi Twins were easily defeated.

Week 6: This one I was especially proud of. I half expected myself to e-mail for info, perhaps sign up to take the entrance exam, maybe study for that exam, and look up pre-reqs. I did ALL of these things AND I've already applied to one school. I'd have to say Giddeon was a surprise win. Next challenge will hopefully contain tasks pertaining to studying some online course. WOO! (<--nerd excited about studying)

As for my life quest: NEGACHEECHOE was defeated!!! I am definately more pumped about working out than I have been for the past year after my knee surgery. On the diet front, I have stayed away from grains and haven't even been tempted  by them; which is a big change for me too. (I have to say except for beer. Big exception to the beer. I was kind of bad about forgetting that this challenge.)

Even with Roxie (that bitch) getting the best of me, it still averages out to a low A.

Grade for this challenge: A-

In hindsight, I liked having a different theme (opponent) each week. It kept it very new and refreshing. 6 weeks doesn't seem that long when you think of your body changing and what-not, but in the midst of it, it seems to take FOREVER. This challenge really helped with that.

Also, Kishi, I thought your mini challenges were great! The past couple of challenges we didn't even have many at all so three in a row was an awesome thing on the side. :)  Plus, they were fun. :)

Hope to see you guys next challenge!

I definitely learned a lot this challenge, and I see that I still have a long way to go. I made some good progress, especially as far as willpower is concerned and I found I really enjoy our strength sessions. The thing that affected me the most though, was the day after the challenge when I decided to give myself an indulgence that included a few french fries, panko coated chicken fingers and some ice cream. It made me violently ill and I'm still feeling pretty crappy from it as I post this. It pretty much turned me off of wanting that kind of junk in my body ever again. I also found that I don't crave the coffee so much anymore and most of it has lost it's appeal to me. I think I'm breaking off the caffeine quite nicely and I plan to work on lowering my sweet intake nxt. I've been looking into going Paleo-Ketogenic next and using the calculator I've found online that will mean no more than 25g carbs/day. I thought it was daunting when I first saw that but after being ill this past day I can see where cutting back the carbs would feel better on my stomach. I found even pumpkin puree to sit too heavily and make me sluggish and I do love my salad veggies which makes this doable. Hardest part honestly, will be eating less tomato sauces.

The best part of this challenge was the support I felt from everyone here. I'm actually thinking about starting my own rebel fitness group here in town and seeing if I can make a few new friends who are willing to support each other in person. It would be nice to have someone to text or call when starting to slip and needing an extra kick in the pants. Thank you all for keeping me honest throughout this challenge, helping me to get over the worst days and celebrating the best ones. I couldn't have made it without you all.

Copied from my personal thread.  One thing I've noticed over the past two challenges is that I usually start really strong and start to run out of gas by week 4 or 5.

This time around trip didn't help things.  I'm not sure if it is because the things I've been doing have become more routine or what but it has made me think that Cheechoe might be on to something with spreading goals across each week of the challenge keeps things fresh and exciting.

So things have been quiet up in here because I've been away for the past week so I'll roll all my updates into one big mega recap!

My results wavered in the last week but despite traveling I still finished fairly strong all things considered.

Water: 34/30 A (+2 Wis, +2 Con, +1 STA

I'm really happy about this, I was not as strong last week because there was a big change to my routine which impacted things but despite that I'm still drinking more water in general which makes me happy.

Stretching:6/8 B (2.5 dex 1.5 cha)

my knee is stabalizing but it is stabalizing at about 70% effectiveness which is really hampering my kicks (which require 110% effectiveness)

Strength.  62/90 C (2 str .5 con)

36 pushups single set

92 max (across 5 sets)

I've improved here but I think I set my expectations WAY too high here.  Gonna average my two sets of results for a final value to grade on.

Final Grade: B

So, a bit of copy-paste and some newer reflections

So how did the whole challenge go?

1) Spartan Training: Perform three workouts a week. Grade out of percentage of 16 total. +3 STR, +2 STA

11/16 workouts. = 68%.  Sympathy C.... +2.25 Str, +1.5 Sta

Uh.  Whoops.  So apparently that unemployment news hit me harder than I anticipated.  Totally threw a curveball into my workout schedule/motivation for a few weeks.  Thankfully I'm back on track, and feeling better than ever.  NINE weeks until the Sprint, and that means only one more challenge to work on things with the Monkery behind me.  Time to get down to business, yes?

2) Run to Guard the Pass: Run a mile and a half each week in public, or 6 miles if in a gym-environment.  Pass/Fail. +2 DEX, +2 STA

I ran SO much.  So SO much.  Made it pretty much twice a week, and I can say that over the span of 6 weeks I ran a total of 18.5 miles.  Holy crap that's a lot of road I burned.  And I will TAKE IT.  (Okay, I'm giving myself a pass for the whole "lost my job and curled up in the fetal position with a dog" for a few days.  But I think I still got the spirit of the goal down.)

PASS - +2 Dex, +2 Sta

3) Dine in Hell: Eat 2200 NET calories every day and record ever day.  Grade on a Percentage of 42 days.  +2 CON, +2 STA

40/40 days = 100%.

PASS - +2 Con, +2Sta

4)Life Quest: Test for 4th kyu ranking and take progress photos and metric measurements.

Definitely passed both of these things.  I never added stats for these.... Ah well.  Maybe give myself +1 Cha?

So.  It's been an interesting ride this challenge.  But I think the largest, most shocking revelation for myself was the fact that when I lost my job I went into a ramped-up exercise mode.  So much so that even people at the dojo have noticed how much I'm there (and how shocked they are when I'm *not* there).  Also trying to find new ways to workout when lifting heavy is not the option, and finding that I can lose girth and eat a great deal more than I have for the past several months.  The fact that I'm wearing a pair of size 34 pants and a large shirt at the moment still amazes me.

This challenge I think pushed my mental limits more than my physical ones.  Can I eat more calories than I've had in months cleanly?  Can I mange running outdoors in public?  Can I do three fairly big workouts a week, on top of continuing a fairly frequent attendance at the dojo?  I think this challenge says YES to all of these things.  Which means I should ramp all of these things up now.  I can do all of these things.  Now I want to do them BETTER.  Yes, I can't lift heavy, but I see no reason why I can't get some hardcore body weight routines going.  Yes, my funds are limited, but I should at least be able to eat my BMR maintenance.  Will I gain a lot of muscle?  No.  But I will get stronger and slim down a bit more.  Which in the grand scheme of things is really the only goal I've had since I started here.  It's now closer than I thought possible, and dammit I will ROCK IT.

With a bit of help from you guys here in the Monkery. :)

Copied from my personal thread.  One thing I've noticed over the past two challenges is that I usually start really strong and start to run out of gas by week 4 or 5.

This time around trip didn't help things.  I'm not sure if it is because the things I've been doing have become more routine or what but it has made me think that Cheechoe might be on to something with spreading goals across each week of the challenge keeps things fresh and exciting.

So things have been quiet up in here because I've been away for the past week so I'll roll all my updates into one big mega recap!

My results wavered in the last week but despite traveling I still finished fairly strong all things considered.

Water: 34/30 A (+2 Wis, +2 Con, +1 STA

I'm really happy about this, I was not as strong last week because there was a big change to my routine which impacted things but despite that I'm still drinking more water in general which makes me happy.

Stretching:6/8 B (2.5 dex 1.5 cha)

my knee is stabalizing but it is stabalizing at about 70% effectiveness which is really hampering my kicks (which require 110% effectiveness)

Strength.  62/90 C (2 str .5 con)

36 pushups single set

92 max (across 5 sets)

I've improved here but I think I set my expectations WAY too high here.  Gonna average my two sets of results for a final value to grade on.

Final Grade: B

I really do think having a new focus each week kept it fresh. Everybody gets tired around week 4, I've noticed. I

I think I'm am going to do the same thing next challenge. :)

Me too.  I'm already planning my own weekly challenges.

Week 1: 100 Technical Lifts Every Day

Week 2: 50 Standing Forward Rolls every day.

Week 3: ... no idea.

MORE IDEAS TO COME. 

Me too.  I'm already planning my own weekly challenges.

Week 1: 100 Technical Lifts Every Day

Week 2: 50 Standing Forward Rolls every day.

Week 3: ... no idea.

MORE IDEAS TO COME. 

Week 3: Punch da hell outta da bag

:D

(I saw that 1000 punches vid. Awesome.)

i like cheechoe's idea too, i often encourage Adventurers who've struggled to keep their motivation up after week 3 to split their challenges for better focus!  I find 6 solid weeks works better for me personally, but we must find things that work for us right? :)

Here is my confession.

It's been a blast and I hope I can get a little more involved in the next challege. Start giving back to the community, so to speak.

I've been dreading this post. I failed, failed hard, crashed and burned. I got sick in the 5th week of the challenge and had to stop progress on three of my goals.

Pip-boy:

Calorie Counting: 24/35 (69% D)

Measurements: 4/5 (80% B )

Benchmark:

I procrastinated and didn't make time.

Failed (F)

Strength:

On paper this looks like I've failed, and I'm going to count it as a failure; however, I have found a time that is easy for me to workout. So, not all bad.

7/15 (47% F)

Mindful Living:

I did quite well with this goal. I'm playing guitar regularly again and my daughter loves to dance and sing while I play. So much cuteness.
32/35 (91% A)

Side Quest:

I was so close to getting this before I got sick. However, the challenge ending and I don't feel like I did a controlled, unassisted handstand.

Failed

BLARG!!! I´m running late on this one!!

Final Results

Main Quest

Increase Agility

At least 480 punches and 180 kicks a week. 10 minutes of HIIT (warming/cooling aside) at least 2 days a week. 1 Grade down for each week missing the minimum for any of the activities involved. 

DEX + 3, STA + 1

Grade: A

Comments: Punches and Kicks were easy (specially with the weekly challenges at the monastery). I tried to do HIIT even while indoors skipping some rope. Everything went nicely here.

Improve Rest                          

7:30 hours of sleep. In bed at 22:25 Sunday to Thursday, up at 5:55 on weekdays. 5 or more minutes of meditations before going to bed. Start routine before 6:15 on weekdays. 1 grade down each 3 fails for any of the rules mentioned.

CON + 1, CHA + 1, STA + 1

Grade: B

Comments: I mostly followed this to the letter. There were a few cases where I didn´t. Most of them had a justification, but some of them didn´t.

Increase Arm Strength

Try different types of push ups in a weekly basis: Inclined, Divebombers, Clap, Side Plank and One Arm (Supposedly from easier to harder). If I can do 4 sets with more than 12 reps then the next week I try next one in the list. Else I stay next week doing the same kind of push up. “A†grade goes if I manage to reach One Arm Push ups (regardless of reps), 1 grade less for each stage below that. Also by the end of the challenge: reach 10 pull ups and 10 chin ups, 1 grade less for each 2 reps less in any of them. As usual correct form is critical.                  

STR + 4, STA + 1

Grade: B

Comments: I could complete the weekly variants of push ups and reached the one arm push ups (actually doing those is a different matter), but I didn´t reach 10 pull ups and chin-ups. Merely 8 reps of each. This was mostly because the rainy weather during mornings.

Side Quests

Life:

Take at least 1 hour a day to study/practice programming and present one Microsoft .NET/SQL certification exam. 1 grade goes down for any week with less than 7 hours of study. Fail if exam is not presented given the chance.

WIS + 3 

Grade: A

Comments: One of the most difficult challenges I´ve ever done. Actually only could complete this one because I negotiated adding 8 hours to my total by uploading a video of myself doing pushups XD. So thanks to Kishi and Cheechoe for the suggestion.

Fitness:

Film myself doing the Persistent Black Belt Push Up Challenge to perfect form.

Comments: A resulting decent video, but my push up count is below my optimal point.

Track:

Try to find a way to make an easier to read log.

Comments: Made a few improvements thanks to the help of The Mouse, Chrissa, Kishi and other fellow monks. Bolding letter, adding the names of the meals to the times.

Week 1: Jul 29 – Aug 4

Arms: 15 / 38.3 both

Chest: 45.2 / 115

Waist: 33.6 / 85.5

Hips: 44.6 / 113.5

Legs: 24.3 / 61.8 both

Weight: 194 Pounds / 88 Kgs.

Pictures:  Here

Week 6: Sep 2 – Sep 8

Arms: 15.23 / 38.7 both

Chest: 45.35 / 115.2

Waist: 33.07 / 84