Pizza Face

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums and just finished my first 6 week challenge :) I got up the guts to post about a question that has been bothering me for the last 6 weeks.

I am 30 years old. I just started lifting heavier weights in my classes and doing more barbell work, more often. I always wash my make up off before I workout. After every workout I rinse off my face, neck, and shoulders in the locker room. I have a glass of milk when I get home but other than that I jump right into the shower to wash down and deep clean my face with oil cleansing method.

I have been experiencing the worst acne in my life. I almost wish I could have the face I did when I was 16. I noticed this started happening when I started exercising and lifting more often and heavier. It is not only a problem on my chin and nose but also my neck and shoulders. I am wondering if anyone here has any tips or recommendations that could help a girl out. I have done a little bit of internet searching on this but they don't provide too much real advice, just discussions on testosterone levels and exercise. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Level 2 Vulcan Assassin

STR 3 | DEX  | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

"If you think you've got 100 extra years to mess around, you're wrong.
This time is real. Your time is now. It's hero time"

- Henry Rollins

I use a goats milk soap to take off my make up, and then the oil cleansing is the only other thing I do, once a day, in the evening. I don't wash again in the morning because I usually wake up with light feeling skin with no visible oiliness and I agree with you that less soap is better. Historically it has been a great moisturizer as well as cleanser. I've been doing well with this routine when I was pre-nerd fitness and doing cardio and light weights only.

Level 2 Vulcan Assassin

- Henry Rollins

I never knew that about dairy! And the tea oil definitely sounds like something to try, maybe substitute for the soap...and I could make dairy free part of my next six week challenge. Do you have any favorite products you would recommend for the toner or others?

Level 2 Vulcan Assassin

- Henry Rollins

Is milk drinking a new thing?  Dairy can also contribute to acne.

I'd throw any new foods that you started eating along with your workout routine on this list as well.

In general, I'd look to any new foods as possible causes of acne - approach here is to cut any new foods on the suspect list, then re-introduce them gradually, 1 at a time, and see which one(s) triggers the proble,.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

You've probably already seen this article, but here's a link anyhow (for those who may not have): http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/adult-acne-why-you-get-it-how-fight-it

Yes, milk (if you haven't really been a milk drinker prior to now-ish) can contribute to adult acne, as can a new and challenging exercise regime. That being said, the body usually adjusts fairly quickly and you may find the outbreaks settle down and disappear on their own in a few months. If not, you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and go to a dermatologist.

Acne sucks no matter how old you are when you get it.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

two things

MILK.

HAIR PRODUCTS.

actually 3.

Make up.

I work out with my make up on- I never have problems. But I know people who do- so that's a start- take it off before for sure.  
(You do it seems- I use baby wipes- or coconut oil) 

Secondly- I found- if I put ANY sort of after shower product in my hair- it's going to sweat in my face- it's absolutely disgusting.... and it makes me break out.  So I rarely workout with any sort of hair product ( did today and I wore a hat and blotted like an OCD child... still probably going to happen)

And the milk- if that's new (only suggesting it because you mentioned it) I would back off that.  

two things

MILK.

HAIR PRODUCTS.

actually 3.

Make up.

I work out with my make up on- I never have problems. But I know people who do- so that's a start- take it off before for sure.  

(You do it seems- I use baby wipes- or coconut oil) 

Secondly- I found- if I put ANY sort of after shower product in my hair- it's going to sweat in my face- it's absolutely disgusting.... and it makes me break out.  So I rarely workout with any sort of hair product ( did today and I wore a hat and blotted like an OCD child... still probably going to happen)

And the milk- if that's new (only suggesting it because you mentioned it) I would back off that.  

Great suggestions, especially the baby wipes.

Acne sucks no matter how old you are when you get it.

I was so embarrassed when I put my age and issue on this thread. However, I knew in the back of my mind that I can't be the only one with this problem and I am so glad that I reached out to a group of supporters. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in the world!

I'd throw any new foods that you started eating along with your workout routine on this list as well.

In general, I'd look to any new foods as possible causes of acne - approach here is to cut any new foods on the suspect list, then re-introduce them gradually, 1 at a time, and see which one(s) triggers the proble,.

This is going to be my next step. I was considering doing Whole 30 so this could be a great time to eliminate dairy for a bit!

Thanks everyone for your insight

Level 2 Vulcan Assassin

- Henry Rollins

I have seen ACNE issues listed a couple of time in stuff on the Paleo lifestyle, a lot of people have said it cleared up. there are many causes and triggers for ACNE though, and no one treatment is the same. I know it is mentioned in the book Wheat Belly, and other blogs that I have read on Paleo.

I just did a quick search and found the question and a very good answer on Paleohacks.com. Not sure if that will help at all, but it is the best I can give you other than trying to remember what I had when I worked at Proactiv, and that was kind of a quick fix that took a little time, not an actual solution.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

Great suggestions, especially the baby wipes.

I was so embarrassed when I put my age and issue on this thread. However, I knew in the back of my mind that I can't be the only one with this problem and I am so glad that I reached out to a group of supporters. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in the world!

This is going to be my next step. I was considering doing Whole 30 so this could be a great time to eliminate dairy for a bit!

Thanks everyone for your insight

don't be. I look ridiculous right now- and i"m kind of not happy about it.  I am not sure if it's the extra make up I've been wearing (I typically don't do full coverage foundations but have been lately) or it's been my changes in diets- which I've had plenty recently. It's driving me insane.

I'm 29- so it happens.  Diet does funny things to our bodies.  Just keep plugging along- you'll get it sorted out!

Vulcan Assassin...Hmmm their is hope for them yet!!!

I'm 45 and I still get acne kinda bad on my chest, but it's a combo of working out and wearing a ballistic vest when it's 98+F w/ 90% humidity.  However I used to have it really bad on my face as a teen, so I can emphasize w/ you. 

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Vulcan Assassin...Hmmm their is hope for them yet!!!

I'm 45 and I still get acne kinda bad on my chest, but it's a combo of working out and wearing a ballistic vest when it's 98+F w/ 90% humidity.  However I used to have it really bad on my face as a teen, so I can empathize w/ you. 

Fixed it for you!

Love,

An English major

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Diet definitely affects acne levels; both dairy and peanut butter (a legume, so not paleo) used to give me really bad acne, and cutting them and fake, sugary foods out of my diet made my skin way easier to take care of. So there's my supporting anecdote.

Another thing that I've looked into, being active on and off for the last several years, is that the shift in hormones that accompanies the first few months of regular exercise can change where and how bad acne is. If nothing else is working, hormones could have something to do with it, but other than eating less toxins and exfoliating regularly to make sure toxins leave your skin quickly, theres not much to do about hormonal acne until your growth and repair chemicals balance out (which can be anywhere from a week to 6 months to a year, so not exactly ideal but not forever either).

There are also supplements out there that help with acne; for example, I drink a tea that has chaste berry and burdock root in it, called 'Get Gorgeous' :highly_amused: , and it does seem to help take the edge off acne I get around a certain time of month. Obviously consult w/a doctor before going and taking supplements that affect hormones though.

I feel your pain! Hope it gets better soon!

The Rogue of Void: 

Level 0 First-Time Challenger

Current Quest Bed ~ Current Battle Log ~ The Re-Firing Squad

Guts. Glory. Revenge.

Diet affects your skin for sure, and if you have just recently changed you diet drastically it can either be a reaction to a new food or your body expelling toxins.  As far as treatment - AS MUCH WATER AS YOU CAN SAFELY HANDLE.  Topically, I would try doing a mask once a week (I like the freeman mud masks) as well as some exfoliation treatment.  If your body doesn't cleanly slough dead skin cells they can get trapped in pores and block you up.  I would start with twice a week (once before you put your mask on, and one other time).  Make sure you moisturize after the mask and exfoliation.

Good luck!