Main Quest:

Pass the Marines Physical Fitness Test with maximum scoring.

What does this main quest entail?

• Being able to do 8 pull ups
  • Run 3 miles in 21 minutes (4.82 km in 21 minutes)
  • Do 100 crunches in 2 minutes

I'm lucky enough that my main quest has three separate compartments that I can focus on and add on as I go. Each 6 week challenge will have me adding on another component to the one I've already mastered and hopefully in three cycles I'll have succeeded. The time limit I've set is by January 1st, 2014 with an alternate as May 1st, 2014 depending on what life throws at me.

Reward?

When I achieve this goal I'm getting a tattoo. I've always wanted one on my left upper shoulder and want it as a constant source of my pride and a reminder of what I achieved.

Battle Log:

The start of the next challenge (September 16th) will have my starting measurements for body fat percentage, circumference, workout log (including run times & workout weights/reps). This will help me stay accountable in my next challenge by tracking my workouts thoroughly and allowing my accountability buddies access to what I'm doing.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

10/09/13:

Completed final Zombies, Run! mission for the second time. Stopped the workout and resumed it a few minutes later while I was toweling off (got caught in a thunder storm) and I ended up losing my stats. Forgot I had Nike + running in the background and finally paused it after I was done changing. Pacing is skewed as a result. I know I completed my 5k in under 30.

From Nike + - 4.12 miles in 54:06.

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

When I achieve this goal I'm getting a tattoo. I've always wanted one on my left upper shoulder and want it as a constant source of my pride and a reminder of what I achieved.

What are you going to get? When I weighed 235, I told my wife that when I get under 200 lbs I would get a half-sleeve. She said whatever and gave me a cookie (she is not a big fan of tattoos, but I have two small ones that I got before we met). Now that I weigh 195, she is concerned. Trying to decide on a design now...

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

I'm getting the Firefly quote I have in my signature! Left shoulder blade. It reminds me never to give up and that I'm able to rely on the people that helped get me here with my success.

Awesome on the half sleeve, I think they look gorgeous! She probably though it was a much farther away goal when you first said it lol. Give her a bit of opinion on what you're going to get and make sure the cost doesn't affect household budgeting too much. I'm saving up for mine as we speak. Just a $20 each paycheck, but I'll eventually get there.

Just think it's a good standard of fitness I want to achieve. I'm Canadian so I can't join the Marines without jumping through a ton of hoops

12/09/13

Zombies, Run! App:

Average pace = 5:58 per km.

Evaded 2/4 zombie attacks.

Not bad for my first run, loving the intervals but wish the voice was a little clearer.

PushUps PRO- modified push ups

2-3-4-3-2

SitUps PRO- anchord

12- 10- 6- 6- 4-4

Squats PRO-bodyweight

10-8-6-5

Had an hour and a half to get my run done, circuit and ready for my next class/work. My friend was in town for the night so after work was dedicated to him. Hammered out my reps, minimal breaks with stretching in between when I needed them.

Passing the test is my goal, but it isn't my motivation. My mother was widowed at a young age by a drunk driver. She lost her husband who left behind a baby and a toddler, was without a job or a high school education, and had to get through this while getting multiple surgeries on her eyes and heal broken bones. She always taught us never to rely on a man, be able to take care of yourself financially and stand on your own two feet.

I'm a small girl (5 feet). I'm taking what my mom taught me and taking it a step further. I want to be able to run away or stand my ground and take care of myself physically.

I want to be motivation to my family and friends. I want my niece to be able to look up to strong female role models in real life. I want my mom to know that health is a choice that you can take one step at a time (because of what happened to her she's prone to over-eating and poor stress management now, I want to help her with that).

It was actually awesome after the second challenge I did because I called her all proud of my accomplishment of running 5km. She said "That's amazing, I wish it was something I had thought of doing when I was younger." I told her it wasn't easy and it took awhile for me to work up to it but it's still something she could do if she wanted to. It made me happy and helped me plant a little seed of change in her mind.

14/09/13

Zombies, Run! App:

Duration= 25:24

Distance = 4.36 km

Average pace = 5:49/km

Evaded zombie attacks= 3/3

Played with my controls on the ZR app. Voices are louder over the music, took out the item pick up announcements and went for a run to the college from my new place. Loving my location and looking forward to being fully moved in.

3-4-4-3-2

SitUps PRO

14-10-8-6-6-4-4

Squats PRO-bodyweight

13-9-6-5

Wow, this.. your motivation is just awesome. I had to hold back emotions while reading that. I can kind of relate to it; my mum raised us three girls (I am the oldest one) all alone, my dad was an alcoholic and abusing her and all that. She left when I was eight. I grew up amongst women and nobody told me 'this is what girls do', 'this is what boys do'. My mum did all the stuff that a man does (even before she left my dad, he was never there), I did technical stuff. We are loving it, the challenge of learning something new and doing it all by ourselves. I also want to stand my ground, I want to prove that you don't need a man to be happy and to succeed in life; though a relationship would be nice. When my mum became sick, my world was falling to pieces. But she recovered. We are a very lucky family. Lately she became a bit lethargic and i hope I can motivate her to lose a bit weight.

And though I probably can't completely grasp how tough it is to have no father, I can somewhat understand your motivation.

- A smooth sea never made a skillfull sailor - 

My Battle Log|1st|2nd challenge!

Lvl. 2 Human turtle

Str: 2 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 1 | Con: 1 | Wis: 5 | Cha : 3

From 121 cm waist to 90 cm

29%
29%

Oh jeeze! That's misleading! I've actually always had a father, my dad is the sweet much younger man that lived down the street and thought it was an awful shame this poor young widow was having to shovel her own driveway. He did it for her all winter and they're still together since. I'm his daughter. My sisters have a few issues because of the accident and we always grew up knowing about their father. Just after that happened my mom has always placed an emphasis on being self sufficient.

New challenge posted y'all! It can be found here.

I'll be doing body fat percentage, circumference, weigh in and a progress pic sometime earlier this week. Let's rock it!

Lie about the starting measurements, I will have them tomorrow.

Zombies, Run! App:

Average pace = 6;16 per km.
Evaded 2/2 zombie attacks.

Average pace = 6:30 per km.
Evaded 3/3 zombie attacks

Did two runs today since it was absolutely gorgeous out! Got a case of the feels when I was listening to the story, it was really touching and I started bawling on my way. My right knee and my left calf were acting up a bit. I don't know if that's because I did a serious body circuit beforehand.

4-4-3-5-4

5-6-6-4-4

SitUps PRO- anchored on an incline

16-12-8-8-6-6

Did supermans with the exact same structure. I hate supermans, I'm considering changing them into Y-T-I raises with a light weight for next time. My arms were shaking like jelly for some reason

Squats PRO-bodyweight

15-10-8-5

17-10-8-6

Deadlifts- Olympic bar

10-10-10-10

Dumbell Rows- 12.5lb , 15 lb

Did a set of 10 with the 12.5lb then did two sets of 10 with the 15lbs. Moving up to 20lb next workout and then if that isn't sufficient trying the 25lb. If I can manage 8 of those comfortably I'm moving on to body weight rows. Also adding lat pull downs next session with the dumbbell rows. I'm going to intersperse the pull downs, push ups and rows throughout my workout to give my shoulders a rest but I want to incorporate all of them .

Wow, you are really rocking the lifts and runs, that is awesome! Keep going :)

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Wow, you are really rocking the lifts and runs, that is awesome! Keep going :)

Thanks Wayne ^_^ I will!!!

Nice combo of the deadlifts, rows, and lat pull downs. I'm working similarly to try and strengthen my shoulders. 

I like that progress bar you have in your signature. Where did you get it? 

I played around in my signature! There's a couple different buttons up in there that you can use. I found it next to the speech bubble and played around with it until I figured out how to make it work

80%
80%

Did my 7-site body fat percentage today 20.1%.

03/05/13 was 24.3%.

Great progress!! Congrats!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

18/09/13

Zombies, Run! App:

Duration= 1:09:15

7-6-6-5-3

8-8-6-7-6

Dumbbell Row-20lbs

SitUps PRO

Back Extensions-50lbs

Squats PRO-bodyweight

Deadlifts-30lbs and 40lbs bar

10-10