indoor herb gardening

not sure if I put this in the right place...

I am looking into starting a garden in order to

a) make sure I know what I am eating

b.) save money on food well that's basically it...

so I have a space above the toilet in my spare bathroom... actual size is 60 inches tall x 36 inches wide... (although that's the ENTIRE height of it and I probably shouldn't go all the way to the ceiling because everyone in my house is short.... 36 is the measurement from the corner of the wall to the medicine cabinet...the 60 inches is from ceiling to the sink top...) and it's a long narrow room with no floor space so really this wall is the only space I have... it is very sunny in this room ALL day long and I was told it will be awesome for herbs and such... I have been looking into different types of indoor gardens... and I have found a few I like... but I have absolutely ZERO experience with gardening... (which my friend the gardener says means it's good to start with herbs this winter so that in the spring I will be better before I try to go full scale with the outdoor stuff I want to do :) )

2upuvyba.jpg

this is option one

tumblr_mltgollVJ31rk3s1eo1_500.jpg

I saw a couple ideas like this and I really like it... (we use these over the door holders in nearly every room.... so it would be consistent with my decorating "scheme") only issue I see is that all the webpages talked about letting the drainage fill the pockets below and then having another planter below that even to catch runoff... I don't think I can do that inside my bathroom... if I could figure out a way to do this with containers of some sort that would be awesome....

option 2

veg3.jpg

I could get a rack specifically designed to go over the toilet and that way I shouldn't need to build/design anything...

option 3

planter.jpg OR vertical_garden_2.jpg

I think this looks cool and awesome but I have no idea how to go about it.......

option 4

spice+rack.jpg

I love this and it looks beautiful... but would I be able to grow enough herbs in this??

also... would it be totally weird to grow herbs in the bathroom?? I work nights and this is the ONLY space in our house that gets light for most of the day (well for any of the day time hours because I keep the house very dark so I can sleep) I mean would you eat food that was grown in a bathroom? I don't think I have an issue with it... (I mean we use poop as fertilizer right?? and it's a infrequently used bathroom...) I think the second idea is my favorite now that I have written it all out... I have a wire rack in the other bathroom and I could get another one to use... either with shelf sized planters or individual pots...

ok... so I have to add the photos another way the computer hates me... I will edit this in a few minutes from my phone to add the photos

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

For someone with 0 experience with gardens, small areas, and very little light to work with I would suggest my old friend the Aerogarden.  It can be a little pricey but my wife and I have 2 and they are spectacular!  They are a countertop hydroponic system that can fit in pretty small places.  They have an indicator so you know when they are low on water and one to tell you when to add the nutrients.  They have their own lightsource and it's bright enough that I don't feel the need to turn on the lights when I'm getting ready for work or just lounging around the house.  It can be tucked away in another room so you can still sleep.  I wouldn't keep it in your room though...

Ok my "paid programming" segment is over now.  I would be weirded out if I saw herbs growing in a bathroom.  Its just so unsanitary...but if you do decide to use the bathroom as your herb garden be sure to WASH and CLEAN the herbs VERY thoroughly before using them. 

Oh and I like option 4...it just looks rustic and "country"

"Do what I do.  Hold tight and pretend it's a plan." -The Doctor

Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says I'm Possible.

Well I guess you would know if it is unsanitary or not, being  a nurse. But the idea kind of makes me say "EWW' Which is probably false since the kitchen can also be full of germs.

I do think your favorite option would be the easiest to do. I would worry about the cloth pocket one not holding water and dripping and making a mess.

You do need good light. I tried to grow an herb garden in the kitchen and it died-just not bright enough

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Don't use the mason jars!  mason jars have no way to  drain excess water and are very prone to molding and to plants getting root bound.  Instead,  put in a series of narrow shelves and use plastic or ceramic plant pots with holes in the bottom fro drainage and a dish under them to catch water.  I would also replace the light bulbs in your overhead fixture with plant bulbs to give some extra light in winter.  Also plant things that like partial shade.  Full sun is hard to manage inside unless you are putting things on the window sill

Level 2: Vahkiti Learner

myfittnesspal | instagram | Epic Quest

CHALLENGES

Current: Hodhi vs the Machines

Past: HoDhi walks into the woods

I'm still looking into it :)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Ooooo..... will your living room have daylight once you have a bedroom?  That would open up so many more options!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Ooooo..... will your living room have daylight once you have a bedroom?  That would open up so many more options!

it probably won't be a good space for gardening... the dog likes to sit in the bay window... and since I am not here very often and my kids don't fricken listen to me with how I want to train her I don't think I will be able to keep her out of it... 

it has a LOT of light if the blackout curtains are opened :)

This is a really awesome idea, my own indoor herb garden is taking over my kitchen.  The flowers are nice though, having roses that don't cost $$$$$$ just in time for valentines is always a good thing.

Good luck!  Take pictures and let us know how it goes :)

if I ever get out of the collecting underpants thing I will let you know!

Spoiler

I did wonder about that.... 

so small non draining ones are nixed :)

Spoiler

:) we no longer live there but thank you for the thoughts :D

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Spoiler