Fitspiration: Motivational or Obsessional?

I like to think I'm pretty media literate. I understand when advertising/popular media is trying to shame me into buying a product or buy into a certain lifestyle. So as a result I have a love/hate relationship with fitspiration. For those of you who don't know, fitspiration is pictures or images of sayings that help motivate people to complete their workouts or eat better. I love it because sometimes it can be really help push me or remind me why I'm becoming more fit in the first place.

So when I was reading my regular blogs online today I was so happy to stumble onto this:

Thank God someone else feels the same way

I'm all for positive fitspiration like this...

tumblr_mkupw8SZ8Q1s8tvsro1_500.jpg

tumblr_mlnyuypkld1s9sgkco1_500.jpg

tumblr_mn9ev4xQLT1s9sgkco1_500.jpg

There's some stuff circulating out there that makes me feel downright nauseous thinking my niece could be developing her body image based off of this.

tumblr_m33a8oPXFB1ruef2oo1_400.jpg

306376_10150988957121762_348853833_n.jpg

I'm not saying I don't agree with the sentiment on her t-shirt. Being strong and capable should be the extolled and that's one I want my niece to learn. I don't want her to learn that being thin AND strong is the new standard. I want her to know that objectification of a woman's body by just presenting her as parts instead of a whole person is wrong and she doesn't need to have a low enough body fat percentage to show muscle. She should also know that objectifying guys in the same manner is just as toxic and unnecessary.

Motivation is necessary and awesome. It helps you get to your goals and can be a fun way of connecting with people. But are the motivational tools you're using healthy? Do they make you feel bad about yourself? Are the images that are portrayed obtainable goals or are they shining examples of the ability of Photoshop, lighting and makeup to create amazing images?

Self acceptance and positive self esteem are important in creating lasting lifelong healthy habits.

What do you think Rebels? What images do you use to keep you going and what ones made you cringe?

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

This reminds me of the whole Biggest Loser mantra of "pain is fear leaving the body" crap. Sometimes, the pain is that good knot in your muscles that means you're getting stronger. But sometimes, it's your body's way of telling you to slow down. Thanks for sharing that blog. It's really easy to get discouraged when everyone seems go be telling you your efforts are wasted if you aren't puking and crying by the end of a work out

I actually stopped going on Tumblr because of some of the fitspiration. It made me feel bad about myself instead of making me motivated. No matter how hard I work i'm never going to look like a fitness model,

I'm glad you recognized it was affecting how you felt instead of internalizing it! For a long time when I was a teenager I used something similar called thinspiration. It didn't jibe well with my body type (I'm always going to have large breasts and hips , I can't diet away my hip bone and besides surgery nothing will ever make me an A cup) and I was a lot happier once I realized those images weren't healthy or realistic.

I believe everyone has the capability of looking like a fitness model. My weight was all over the board in high school and now every time I run into my old classmates they wonder how I changed so much. It took years to get to this point. Those years were full of a lot of work, trial and error and figuring out what worked best for me. I'm not there but eventually I could be a fitness model. I just actively choose not to be because that's a lot more work for something I don't want. I would rather spend that time doing things I enjoy and find more important.

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

I'm glad you recognized it was affecting how you felt instead of internalizing it! For a long time when I was a teenager I used something similar called thinspiration. It didn't jibe well with my body type (I'm always going to have large breasts and hips , I can't diet away my hip bone and besides surgery nothing will ever make me an A cup) and I was a lot happier once I realized those images weren't healthy or realistic.

I believe everyone has the capability of looking like a fitness model. My weight was all over the board in high school and now every time I run into my old classmates they wonder how I changed so much. It took years to get to this point. Those years were full of a lot of work, trial and error and figuring out what worked best for me. I'm not there but eventually I could be a fitness model. I just actively choose not to be because that's a lot more work for something I don't want. I would rather spend that time doing things I enjoy and find more important.

Unfortunately I was about 80 pounds over weight for about 15 years, i'm not at my goal weight yet but I know I won't look like a fitness model without some skin removal since it is already a little loose in some spots. Its unfortunate but that's what happens from 20 or so years of not taking care of myself. Maybe someday i'll come close though!

Be miserable or motivate yourself, whatever has to be done its always your choice -Dyer

I actually troll Pinterest and Tumblr for my trainer obtaining pictures for inspiration and I feel like it's worked against me recently. I don't save any of the images of people with ripped bodies. It's not that they're not awesome in their own way, that kind of body takes awesome commitment and dedication, but for a lot of the clients we're trying to bring in (and keep!) it's not motivational. It's an unrealistic expectation of a program that would not give results like that. I try to find the pictures which are inspirational phrases with workout equipment or even every-day women working out. Because I totally agree that the weight-lifter they mentioned there would not be put in a fitness ad, because her awesomeness won't make you feel bad enough about yourself.

I actually read that article yesterday and watched it do the rounds on a couple of Facebook pages. Results were mixed. I think, if I may be so bold as to make a sweeping statement, it's mainly women that feel that 'fitspo' is negative. Men don't seem to care as much. But that media push for perfection is squarely aimed at women, so it's easy to see why it would be off-putting.

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I actually read that article yesterday and watched it do the rounds on a couple of Facebook pages. Results were mixed. I think, if I may be so bold as to make a sweeping statement, it's mainly women that feel that 'fitspo' is negative. Men don't seem to care as much. But that media push for perfection is squarely aimed at women, so it's easy to see why it would be off-putting.

Yep. Men don't seem to care. Seeing others that are in much better shape than you is not typically mentally devastating to men.

It isn't that the media push isn't aimed at men (the big evil media is not out to get women), it only works on women.

Unfortuntaly "the media" (at least the PG rated public media) isn't really good at convincing guys "look like this and you will get laid more". Men pretty much have that figured out on their own, and in general go to the source (women) (or more effective media) for feedback on the appearance-getting laid subject. Most men's motivation will somewhat (or fully) be derived from getting laid more/better, anyone that says otherwise is lying.

Also remember men already have their own form of fitspo and have had it for a long time. Sports.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

But do guys seriously see sports as motivation? Or do most of them just enjoy them for the macho, team-building, 'our guys are better than your guys' aspect? I can't say that the first thing I hear when I'm watching guys watch football is 'I wish I had his muscles' or 'I wish I was built like him'. Or even 'I wish I could kick as far as that guy' or 'I like that guys batting stance'.

Fitspo 'encourages' people to wish like they looked like someone else. In most cases, it's completely unattainable. For sports, there's a reason most guys aren't in the NFL and I think the average dude on the couch with a beer in his hand knows it. Fitspo kind of gives you that 'why aren't you working out for five hours a day so you can look like this person?' vibe. We don't know the first thing about that persons training routine, diet, lifestyle. Most of the images are sports models, touched up and lighted effectively.

I think, to stop myself from typing endlessly, that the difference here is that you're not told by sports that you aren't good enough.

But do guys seriously see sports as motivation? Or do most of them just enjoy them for the macho, team-building, 'our guys are better than your guys' aspect? I can't say that the first thing I hear when I'm watching guys watch football is 'I wish I had his muscles' or 'I wish I was built like him'. Or even 'I wish I could kick as far as that guy' or 'I like that guys batting stance'.

I bet if there was a survey of guys, especially amongst those just starting to lose weight (who would be more aware of their eventual physique goals), Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu would join Gerard Butler (from 300), Tom Hardy (from Warrior), and Daniel Craig (Bond) way up near the top of the list as the ideal male physique that most they aspire to.

It isn't why you watch sports, but professional athletes have always been a major proportion of the physiques you look up to for men.

Pro wrestlers don't wear speedos or tights because they are comfy....

currently cutting

don't panic!

This article was on a friends FB so I had to chime in:

"As someone who regularly "consumes" fitness memes I don't think any of those are damaging, and the article is putting a bias onto how they read them. That being said there are some that I think are dangerous, and do upset me and think of the damage it causes to those struggling with weight issues. There is a supplement store on View St just by the office that had a white board sign out a few weeks ago that infuriated me. The sign read "What you eat in private, you wear in public." That kind messaging is what causes eating disorders. Pushing yourself in a workout is what builds you to be a stronger person, both physically and emotionally. And pushing yourself to the limit of your abilities, to the point of exhaustion where a single step, or rep is no longer possible... that is what reveals to you who you are."

I see the dudes in the Fitspo and it makes me think that it is possible. I look at Waldo's avatar and think, Bitch I am going to be that soon. 

I think it is just people having a defeatist attitude that think that those bodies are unreachable. They are, Look at Waldo, Look at the countless others who have pushed, worked, and obsessed. If you want that body you can get it, it may be harder for you, but you can.

And to the sport comment, Heck yea sports was motivating for me to get fit. I play adult dodgeball and have been playing since I was at my heaviest, I am a god damn ninja now compared to what I was before. 

Currently lost in Fitness.

Guest Dirty Deads

But do guys seriously see sports as motivation?

Every time I watch I think "I should have done that, I'd be awesome" or "I'm going to get in the gym and be that good" Also, I know a lot of guy who have a picture of Dwayne Johnson up for motivation. When I see David Beckham I am always wishing I had something close to his physique(and ink), cause chicks dig him.

I bet if there was a survey of guys, especially amongst those just starting to lose weight (who would be more aware of their eventual physique goals), Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu would join Gerard Butler (from 300), Tom Hardy (from Warrior), and Daniel Craig (Bond) way up near the top of the list as the ideal male physique that most they aspire to.

It isn't why you watch sports, but professional athletes have always been a major proportion of the physiques you look up to for men.

Pro wrestlers don't wear speedos or tights because they are comfy....

I sometimes wish I had Troy's hair. When I was a teen I had mostly Dorian Yates, Greg Kovacs, Nasser El Sonbaty(R.I.P.) along with wrestlers on my wall. Never realized the steroids it would take to get there, but those were my inspiration for packing a refrigerator around my back yard.

http://imgur.com/a/y1iOs - Are these better?

My sister, who has been thin her whole life, but recently got fit/strong to be better at rock climbing, and I were discussing this further last night. She said that as a male I could not understand the pressures of the second image "Don't stop till your proud." I countered with, how in the world could she? She has always been the societal version of pretty, I had to not stop till I was proud.

Currently lost in Fitness.

Guest Dirty Deads

http://imgur.com/a/y1iOs - Are these better?

My sister, who has been thin her whole life, but recently got fit/strong to be better at rock climbing, and I were discussing this further last night. She said that as a male I could not understand the pressures of the second image "Don't stop till your proud." I countered with, how in the world could she? She has always been the societal version of pretty, I had to not stop till I was proud.

To me, that echoes the thought that it isn't how you look, it's how you think. I like the quote, "If you want to be somebody else, change your mind." I love it for it's double meanings. If you change your mind, you won't want to be somebody else and if you change your mind, you already are somebody else.

Unfortunately I was about 80 pounds over weight for about 15 years, i'm not at my goal weight yet but I know I won't look like a fitness model without some skin removal since it is already a little loose in some spots. Its unfortunate but that's what happens from 20 or so years of not taking care of myself. Maybe someday i'll come close though!

That was actually part of my considerations. The surgery for skin removal is quite costly, but not completely out of range if looking like a fitness model was your goal. Might take years, but My sisters good friend paid for her breast implants with extra pocket change she saved up over 3 years.

It's all about what your want and how much you care about it. Surgery isn't necessary to lead a happy full life but some people choose that route to get closer to what they want.

I actually troll Pinterest and Tumblr for my trainer obtaining pictures for inspiration and I feel like it's worked against me recently. I don't save any of the images of people with ripped bodies. It's not that they're not awesome in their own way, that kind of body takes awesome commitment and dedication, but for a lot of the clients we're trying to bring in (and keep!) it's not motivational. It's an unrealistic expectation of a program that would not give results like that. I try to find the pictures which are inspirational phrases with workout equipment or even every-day women working out. Because I totally agree that the weight-lifter they mentioned there would not be put in a fitness ad, because her awesomeness won't make you feel bad enough about yourself.

I can totally understand clients being off-put by those photos. I tend to avoid gyms that put that kind of emphasis on appearance as a main reason to exercise and would not hire a trainer that wanted to concentrate on aesthetics unless I was doing a figure competition.

I think guys on average have an easier time understanding the reality of pictures like those in relation to their own bodies. There is less pressure on males to look conventionally attractive. I have noticed a larger amount of advertising and objectification of men in the media as of late though. So even more important to question it now before it becomes commonplace.

This article was on a friends FB so I had to chime in:

"As someone who regularly "consumes" fitness memes I don't think any of those are damaging, and the article is putting a bias onto how they read them. That being said there are some that I think are dangerous, and do upset me and think of the damage it causes to those struggling with weight issues. There is a supplement store on View St just by the office that had a white board sign out a few weeks ago that infuriated me. The sign read "What you eat in private, you wear in public." That kind messaging is what causes eating disorders. Pushing yourself in a workout is what builds you to be a stronger person, both physically and emotionally. And pushing yourself to the limit of your abilities, to the point of exhaustion where a single step, or rep is no longer possible... that is what reveals to you who you are."

I see the dudes in the Fitspo and it makes me think that it is possible. I look at Waldo's avatar and think, Bitch I am going to be that soon. 

I think it is just people having a defeatist attitude that think that those bodies are unreachable. They are, Look at Waldo, Look at the countless others who have pushed, worked, and obsessed. If you want that body you can get it, it may be harder for you, but you can.

And to the sport comment, Heck yea sports was motivating for me to get fit. I play adult dodgeball and have been playing since I was at my heaviest, I am a god damn ninja now compared to what I was before.

It's all subjective in how people view things and the experiences they've had in the past. I'm apt to be aware of potentially damaging messages that memes and fitspo send out but that's because I have a recovering ED in which I used similar media to help shame myself into losing weight.

Being a person who pushed herself to certain limits I also understand how addictive that kind of mindset is. Constantly pushing yourself in every possible workout all the time can be counter productive and actually hinder muscle growth or cause overuse injuries. A lot of thinspiration would have very similar slogans on their pictures ("pain is weakness leaving the body" was common, " I am stronger than than this moment", "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"' just replace skinny with strong). That pain can be a ligament tearing, there's a huge difference between good pain and bad. I want newbies understanding the difference.

The main thing I want everyone to take from this is questioning why they find those pictures so alluring/revolting. What motivation helps you become a better individual and understanding that not everyone can use the same motivation in a healthy manner.

My favorite take on fitspiration, drunkspiration!

Oh my gosh that made my morning.

For the fitspiration ... Some of them, yeah. I totally see where you're coming from.  The one about how crawling, puking, tears etc. are acceptable ... that strikes me as a really unhealthy way to train.  There are definitely some out there that send really unhealthy messages.

But on the other hand, I'm totally OK with "Don't stop till you're proud" - it's sending an entirely different message to "Don't stop until you look exactly how we want you to look."  I dunno - I see why some people will get put off by the fact that they always have absolutely perfect bodies next to the words.  I get that.  I wouldn't want a 'fitspiration' picture that told me I was worthless until I looked like that, because I so do not have the bone structure for 90% of those pictures.

But a fit person next to a message like "Doesn't matter how slow you go, you'll lap everyone who's still on the couch" and don't-give-up messages?  That does strike me as more motivational than draconian.

I think it's going to vary for every person, though, definitely.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

My favorite take on fitspiration, drunkspiration!

Genius! 

I actually don't like fitspiration at all. It's never done anything for me - I can see where it motivates others, but it's just not what I find motivating for me personally.

When I see those people, I don't see what I could become. I see some people who've certainly worked their butt off to get where they are and can be seen as rolemodels, but I can't think in that "if I get off my bum now, I'll look that way" mindset. 

In fact, I find that one picture in the blog you linked much, much more inspirational:

kristin-dl_lg.jpg?w=300&h=228

This one. Not because I want to look like her, but because whoa! Look at what she can lift! Look how freaking successful she is! Who cares how she looks, she could weigh a hundred kilo more or less, I'd not see her body but what's in her hands.

I've found that for me personally, motivation is what people can do, not how they look. I'll never be a tan, blond, skinny surfer chick with abs, and I don't care. What I do care about is how strong, fast, flexible or whatever my goals may be I am.

So maybe that was a bit off topic. But I very much agree with what's been said in the blog and in this thread as well. Those are, for most people, unrealistic rolemodels and some of those ads are totally stupid or even dangerous. You definitely won't find me crawling around in my own puke because I listen to my body and stop before anything like that happens. I want to get fit and healthy, not punish myself until I look a certain way.

I think for me it would be much more motivating to see an obese person jogging who just decided they want to change their lives and get healthy. The one thing that inspired me to start running, for example, was a thread in this forum, started by a woman whose goal it was to run a mile. Not a skinny, muscled fit woman but someone not able to run a mile yet, obviously. And she kept biting through and I thought "I can do it, too! I don't need to be ashamed of myself for not being able to run far and have faster runners pass me all the time, I just have to get started with it."

Those are the real people and they inspire me much more. It's a bit like that Dove commercial - they use real women, not skinny models, and it must be working for them or they'd have stopped by now. I'd love to see a brand like Adidas or Nike do something like that. I bet it would even let their sales go up - but I don't see it happening because they keep holding on to that "Look at this skinny chick, want to look like that? Try our shoes!" and not "Look at this girl next door biting her way through her very first mile, join her on her journey."

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

I wholeheartedly agree with ApfelStrudi, it's the work and effort that a person puts into it that inspires.  But that level of work is relative.  Rather it’s a professional athlete, say Dwayne “The Rock†Johnson, or overweight guy at the track pushing hard to complete a mile. 

The professional is doing the extreme of what we think of when it comes to fitness.  After all they can, it’s what they do for a living.  Think about the amount of time they dedicate to training, and the army of trainers, nutritionists, and other professionals that have helped them get to that point.  They have jobs and responsibilities yes, but the major responsibility in their career is their body!  I see this as inspiration, they dedicate themselves to a goal, it is that aspect that inspires me, not the end result of their physique (though it would be nice…lol).  When I am straining in that last set, it’s the mental image of The Rocks picture of him working out and struggling as well.  What would he do, would he give up if he was in my body having to struggle?  No, his mental fight and drive would push through to success.

On the other end of that spectrum is the guy or gal at the track every other day, pushing themselves to complete what many would consider an easy workout.  What they have to push through mentally and physically is completely different than that of even the average joe.  The determination and drive to push on, even when feeling self-doubt and fear of self-image while working out, is remarkable.  To overcome these feelings alone is a feat!  To watch someone complete a first nonstop mile, rather a first or a first in a long time, or preform a PR lift, is just as impressive as watching an athlete break a WR in my opinion.

I say fitspiration is great as long as the message is motivating to the individual.  But in my opinion, it strikes a much deeper chord when the image shows real work; not the “hair done, make up on, is the lighting just right and make sure the art department airbrushes this six times†look.  I tend to try to find my fitspiration with no images of people, instead find the ones with the words that create the image I want to see of my future self.

Again, just my 2 cents!

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Can I just be a huge whine about Dove for a second?

Dove's 'Real Women' marketing campaign worked for them because they switched to something they knew people were seeking. It's similar to what one of the UK chains is doing (I don't recall offhand which one) where they're using people of a range of sizes, skin colors, ages, even amputees to model their products. Now, I'm all for trying to get the message out there that 'we're all different, and that's okay, because we're all beautiful' but I can't help but feel a little disgusted thinking to myself 'they're only doing this because it'll sell their products'.

Dove especially gets my back up because they're within the Unilever brand. The same brand which makes sexualized body spray/wash for men and 'whitening' cream for people with Asian-tone skin. So as much as I want to love the concept and ideals behind the brand, I just don't like WHY they're doing it. It's disingenuous.

Why are women so defeatest?

"I'll never be, can't be, don't have the"

You are wrong.  Yes you can.

It doesn't take killing yourself.  Over time exercise gets easier, a lot easier.  Controlling your diet gets easier, a lot easier.  The first 3 months are far and away the hardest part.  From there on out all it takes is consistant effort and your eye on the target.  Little steps, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.  Let the journey become the end, not the means, and the path will lead you further than you ever thought possible.

currently cutting

don't panic!